If i flash the Pixel Experience OTA Update, what happens exactly?

Search This thread

tectota

May 25, 2022
yea i think all the data is resetted or something. And you need to reinstall all apps also

Retrial

Recognized Contributor & Translator
Jun 10, 2015
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S4
Xiaomi Poco F1
do i lose data and have to reinstall everything?

yea i think all the data is resetted or something. And you need to reinstall all apps also
No you will not lose ur data if you are encrypted as PE is by default. It needs PE Recovery tho.
If you used DFE to stay decrypted and in TWRP then you must NOT use OTA and manually update the ROM everytime along with DFE zip so you will not face bootloops.

If you have any other question let me know.

Reactions: mantlabs

rehfore

Jul 8, 2018
No you will not lose ur data if you are encrypted as PE is by default. It needs PE Recovery tho.
If you used DFE to stay decrypted and in TWRP then you must NOT use OTA and manually update the ROM everytime along with DFE zip so you will not face bootloops.

thanks that is good to know. I don't remember if i decrypted or not. Can i see somewhere if it is encrypted? i remember doing something but i am not sure

Retrial

Jun 10, 2015
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S4
Xiaomi Poco F1
thanks that is good to know. I don't remember if i decrypted or not. Can i see somewhere if it is encrypted? i remember doing something but i am not sure
If you still have TWRP try to reboot to recovery. If you see random names on folders and files then you are encrypted.
Or simply go to setting in Security and somewhere says if your device is encrypted or not.

TWRP can't decrypt A12 encrypted ROMs yet, thats why u either need to decrypt if u want to stay with TWRP and manually update the ROM always along with DFE -and never use OTA- or use the Recovery that each ROM provides (if they are encrypted by default) which can handle OTA but you lose many abilities that TWRP have.

If you are stable user of a certain ROM, I recommend you to stay encrypted and use the recovery they provide to use OTA updates.
If you change ROMs like your shirts and trying them out, then you maybe need to consider to stay decrypted and use DFE always and never use OTA.

rehfore

Jul 8, 2018
If you still have TWRP try to reboot to recovery. If you see random names on folders and files then you are encrypted.
Or simply go to setting in Security and somewhere says if your device is encrypted or not.

TWRP can't decrypt A12 encrypted ROMs yet, thats why u either need to decrypt if u want to stay with TWRP and manually update the ROM always along with DFE -and never use OTA- or use the Recovery that each ROM provides (if they are encrypted by default) which can handle OTA but you lose many abilities that TWRP have.

If you are stable user of a certain ROM, I recommend you to stay encrypted and use the recovery they provide to use OTA updates.
If you change ROMs like your shirts and trying them out, then you maybe need to consider to stay decrypted and use DFE always and never use OTA.
ah okay, TWRP doesn't show me in the settings if i am encrypted or not but when i start TWRP, i have to type in my password and it says among other things "data successfully decrypted". And if i skip the password then all files are randomly named. So i guess i am encrypted.

I am a stable PE user but i am a bit confused now. If i make the OTA update what TWRP abilities am i losing?

edit: i updated now, TWRP doesn't seem different but i lost root. Reinstalling Magisk doesn't work for some reason.

Last edited:

Retrial

Jun 10, 2015
Athens
Samsung Galaxy S4
Xiaomi Poco F1
ah okay, TWRP doesn't show me in the settings if i am encrypted or not but when i start TWRP, i have to type in my password and it says among other things "data successfully decrypted". And if i skip the password then all files are randomly named. So i guess i am encrypted.

I am a stable PE user but i am a bit confused now. If i make the OTA update what TWRP abilities am i losing?

edit: i updated now, TWRP doesn't seem different but i lost root. Reinstalling Magisk doesn't work for some reason.
You can check if you are encrypted or not at security section in Settings inside the ROM.
If you replace TWRP with PE recovery for example you miss some settings that TWRP had, but that's all. You don't need these if you are stable and casual user of PE.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

You can check if you are encrypted or not at security section in Settings inside the ROM.
    If you replace TWRP with PE recovery for example you miss some settings that TWRP had, but that's all. You don't need these if you are stable and casual user of PE.

do i lose data and have to reinstall everything?