If I'm going to have to replace it, again.. What with????

Search This thread
Well I just went to AT&T to try the LG v20. It's as big as an iPhone 7 Plus, but I have to say I thought it was fantastic. It's screen is slightly bigger, it's brighter (!) which surprised me and when I ran gagnam style on both (always my test video) I have to say that I thought the screen was better on the v20. The whites are whiter and the Note looked yellowish by comparison. Very interesting. It's also far quicker at switching apps, as fast as the iPhone. Camera is very quick too.

Anyway just food for thought. There is life after the Note7

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using XDA-Developers mobile app

Mayonesa

Jan 31, 2009
Gagnam style lol nice... Thats what im considering going too. I have yet to see it so i want to actually hold it and play with it before i make a decision

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Nick281051

May 5, 2010
Northport, NY
Yeah if I have to replace my note I'm thinking the v20. Don't want the s7 edge (had it as a loaner and it was okay but not great). Only disappointment is that I won't be able to use my new gear vr. Also, at&t's version won't come with those earphones

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using Tapatalk

Gagnam style lol nice... Thats what im considering going too. I have yet to see it so i want to actually hold it and play with it before i make a decision

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
Gagnam is great as its bright, colorful and many scene changes, and you can test the sound too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N930A using XDA-Developers mobile app

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Yeah I think I may wait to see what Samsung does to try to keep my business. My guess is that they realize this is a big pain to customers and will hopefully offer a special deal to keep them loyal. If not I will probably switch to a different brand. Not sure what yet though since there isn't much that compares.

sireniankyle

Sep 21, 2012
Yeah I think I may wait to see what Samsung does to try to keep my business. My guess is that they realize this is a big pain to customers and will hopefully offer a special deal to keep them loyal. If not I will probably switch to a different brand. Not sure what yet though since there isn't much that compares.

Unless they have a Note 7.5, Note 8, or an S8 ready to go, I'm done. They have treated me like crap throughout this entire recall.
Probably going back to Apple this year.

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Unless they have a Note 7.5, Note 8, or an S8 ready to go, I'm done. They have treated me like crap throughout this entire recall.
Probably going back to Apple this year.

I feel ya, but I could never go back to Apple. Like being handcuffed... Just can't stand iOS, the device itself is awesome but can't stand iOS.

I still have an S7e so I will probably go back to that for the short term. I love the Note line even if it is re-branded I will look at the Note 8 next year.

cordell12

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 22, 2010
Dayton, TX
i did the same, returned Note 7 for pre order of LG V20 this morning. The camera was extremely fast, it was snapping pics as fast as I hit the button. The screen was slightly bigger, or appeared to be anyway (good thing). I like the little display on the top as well, and display looked much better than I expected. Cant wait for my order to arrive!

sireniankyle

Sep 21, 2012
I feel ya, but I could never go back to Apple. Like being handcuffed... Just can't stand iOS, the device itself is awesome but can't stand iOS.

I still have an S7e so I will probably go back to that for the short term. I love the Note line even if it is re-branded I will look at the Note 8 next year.

I settled for the S7 Edge once already, because Samsung screwed up the Note 5. That's 2x in a row in my book. I don't want to go back to it, because 1.) I'm spoiled by the Note 7's 64GB plus expandable storage, and 2.) The edges are more obvious, and i do not like them at all. There's also the lack of S- pen and hdr. The Note 7 also boosts the audio for video playback, which I loved.

**I consider the Note 5 a flop, because there was no expandable storage and 64GB max onboard. The same reason that I haven't bought a 1+3. NB4 you don't need more than 64GB. If company says "Never Settle", don't tell me to settle.**

If I go back to Apple, I get the water resistance, imessage, stereo speakers, unrivaled speed, great battery life, and a home button that is not on-screen (lookin at you, Google and LG). I also lose micro sd (got 256 on-board so), fast charging, wireless charging, qhd, and certain freedoms on the software.

If Samsung would let me buy a Note 7, or if the 1+3 could take a micro sd card, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But the Pixel XL is crap (my opinion), the htc 10 is too small, the S7 Edge is too curvy, and the 1+3 lacks enough storage. I know, I'm picky.

ProStreetCamaro

Nov 2, 2010
I settled for the S7 Edge once already, because Samsung screwed up the Note 5. That's 2x in a row in my book. I don't want to go back to it, because 1.) I'm spoiled by the Note 7's 64GB plus expandable storage, and 2.) The edges are more obvious, and i do not like them at all. There's also the lack of S- pen and hdr. The Note 7 also boosts the audio for video playback, which I loved.

**I consider the Note 5 a flop, because there was no expandable storage and 64GB max onboard. The same reason that I haven't bought a 1+3. NB4 you don't need more than 64GB. If company says "Never Settle", don't tell me to settle.**

If I go back to Apple, I get the water resistance, imessage, stereo speakers, unrivaled speed, great battery life, and a home button that is not on-screen (lookin at you, Google and LG). I also lose micro sd (got 256 on-board so), fast charging, wireless charging, qhd, and certain freedoms on the software.

If Samsung would let me buy a Note 7, or if the 1+3 could take a micro sd card, we wouldn't be having this discussion. But the Pixel XL is crap (my opinion), the htc 10 is too small, the S7 Edge is too curvy, and the 1+3 lacks enough storage. I know, I'm picky.

I have been anti apple for as long as I can remember. I do not like apple for many reasons from being so constrained on a phone I own to apples business model to apples proprietary hardware etc etc. BUT this time I decided to give the 7+ a try for 1 year after i returned my Note 7. So far after 2 weeks I have absolutely nothing bad to say about my 7 Plus. It is incredibly fast, incredibly powerful and just down right does everything perfectly EXCEPT they are having some bluetooth issues with certain devices. One of those happens to be my 8.4" UConnect headunit that it is not streaming nicely with. Random skips and choppy audio when streaming music. But my headunit has ipod controls so I simply plug my 7 Plus into a usb port and stream my music that way and it charges the phone as well. If you do go 7 plus I dont think you will be unhappy with it. Also the standby time and overall battery life is outstanding. I first got a silver one then decided I want black instead so my 128GB Silver one is on ebay right this second with 2 days left in the auction. Brand new condition.

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
So I talked to someone I know that works for Samsung. Samsung is a business partner of the company I work for. It is not looking good. Right now there are two options being discussed internally at Samsung.

1.) Stop the production of the Note 7 ALL together and refund everyone who bought one. This is an issue because phones sold on a secondary market may be difficult to get refunds for. It also will cause many users to leave Samsung all together and go the LG V20 / Pixel / iPhone 7 rout.

2.) Do ANOTHER recall replacement. I was told a new run of the phones would be available by the end of the month to be swapped out if Samsung chooses to go down this path AGAIN. I would hope the 3rd time is the charm and this 3rd build of the phone is perfect. However this has issues as well. There is a chance some if not all of the USA carriers won't pick up the 3rd version of the phone AT ALL and not offer it as a replacement to consumers. Also if it is offered as a replacement there is still not guarantee that USA carriers will EVERY being to sell it as new again.

Both of these options leave me with a few concerns.

1.) This phone will probably NEVER have the correct software support it deserves. Meaning IF it gets the android 7.1 update in the 4th quarter of this year like it is supposed to it will probably be the only update it ever gets. Also it may not get the monthly security patches ever, which makes this not usable for my work.

2.) I do not know what Samsung can do to restore confidence with me that this 3rd version of the Note 7 will not one day blow up. I have also lost all faith in the CPSC. I mean what are they doing this time that will GUARANTEE that this version of the phone won't blow up as well. Just seems like its going to be a hard sell to me.

3.) Samsung still seems a bit short sited to me on fixing this issue. If they really want to "stop the bleeding" of loyal customers they need to focus on future product sales. Again this means leaving the Note 7 dumpster fire behind, but it also means trying to convert note 7 users into future sales. I would hope they would consider offering a discount voucher for a Samsung phone bought in the future as a part of this 2nd recall, but judging by everything I have seen coming from their company it looks like they are more worried about the now, and they are going to lose even more customers because of it.

Anyone have any other thoughts? What would it take for Samsung to get you to stay with the Note 7, or in the future consider buying a S8 or a Note 8?

tazbo28

Dec 28, 2006
Davis, CA
about.me
Seriously I went into my local Att store and no V20 demo unit there.

Heres my 2 cents. I came from the Note 4, and the Note 2 before that, so you can understand the waiting I had to do in order to get something amazing. The Note 7 checks so many boxes off of a long list of features that I have always found useful. The pen, the screen size and resolution as well as top specs in the cpu and ram department every time they are released. But, this one thing that kept buggin me on the newer Notes was the non-removable batteries. It was the reason I held out on upgrading the Note 4 for so long. And here we are witnessing something that is hugely affected by the decision of not including that capability.

In terms of what Samsung should have done, its obvious - they should have included a slightly smaller battery in terms of thickness and capacity in order to reduce the risk of defects. Something like a smaller/thinner 3000 mah battery would have been totally fine. Even a slightly thicker version of the 3600 mah battery and thicker chassis would have been fine as well. But my honest opinion is that devices that are catching fire are actually suffering from some slight bending in the chassis at some point after they are purchased. This most likely would be something like dropping it hard or even having it bend slightly when in a pocket. Im thinking the latter is the cause for the batteries to have warped a tiny fraction causing the layers/connectors in the batteries to warp. But this is an inherent risk with all batteries in phones I think. Its just exponentially worse the thinner you go. And if the production tolerances on both those aspects are so dang tight, expect more issues than say an Iphone which can bend all day and still not catch fire.

It would be great to see Samsung give people full refunds for international variants and exchanges through carriers like they are doing. Should they give a discount for future devices? It would be awesome obviously from a consumer standpoint. Will they actually give some discount of meaningful value? Most likely not. They are a massive multi-billion dollar corporation. I would think the Note customer base is the smaller of their top 2 devices. So even if they lose some of this crowd, there is still the massively successful S7/S7 edge crowd to bank on. Especially since we will be seeing the S8 in like 4-6 months. Its actually smart of them to stagger device releases in this case. I'm not particularly excited about anything else being released this year. Google has the specs now, but looks so boring. And that top headphone jack...just ugh. The iphone as everyone saw is just a placeholder until next year. The V20 is, well, just another LG phone. Tough decisions all around at this point.

ShrekOpher

May 14, 2013
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Anyone played with an Honor 8 or the ZTE AXON?

I am not a fan of LG devices.

I'm probably go back to the S7e but it's really not a great replacement.

How many people would get another replacement Note 7 if one is offered?

Anyone played with an Honor 8 or the ZTE AXON?

I am not a fan of LG devices.

I'm probably go back to the S7e but it's really not a great replacement.

How many people would get another replacement Note 7 if one is offered?

I will , but I will wait to trade mine in . When they have them in the store , then I will go. I still want this phone , its why I bought it in the first place.

Top Liked Posts