• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

If your 6T died today, what new phone would you buy?

Search This thread

Frankenscript

May 29, 2014
Indianapolis Metro
Hi folks,

I'm still rocking my stock 6T (Global version) on AT&T. The battery is starting to show its age I think, but other than that it has been perfect. It's in great shape and I'm not planning to change it out any time soon. 2.5 years is already the longest I've ever used a phone.

But, with lots of bad reviews on the newest OnePlus offerings, and the continually steeper prices they are charging, I'm wondering what I would do if something happened to my 6T.

I bought it because of:
Price/Performace ratio
Not tethered to a carrier and minimal crapware
Unlockable/rootable (though, I never did either on this phone)
OnePlus good history of support on prior devices (I also have a 3T, now used as a wifi mini tablet)

So, What would you folks buy if you had to get a new phone today?

Reactions: SMcC2

SMcC2

Feb 22, 2014
Texas
OnePlus 6T
Would love to see more responses to this post.
I will be buying a new phone next year and have been asking myself this question.
Ability to root and install custom ROMs means more to me than camera, fingerprint, wireless charging, whatever.
Although a decent camera and waterproofing would be a nice bonus.
If I could I'd go back and get a headphone jack and IR blaster as well. I miss my old HTCs.

p51d007

Oct 15, 2007
Springfield, Mo
I had a 6T, scratched the screen somehow, got a 7T. Loved it, but switched to a Samsung A71. (easier to get the new stuff to work on my galaxy 3 smart watch than doing a bunch of hacking/loading stuff). Great screen, good battery life. For a midrange, 300 bucks was hard to pass up.

Frankenscript

May 29, 2014
Indianapolis Metro
Thanks for all the responses. It seems there's no obvious go-to for us.

Here's what I'd like, coming from the 6T:

Processor: next step up from whatever 6T had when it came up 3 years ago, but I don't need the latest-greatest
Memory: I have a 256GB storage version, with 8GB RAM. This was fine then, and is fine now.
Screen: whatever the 6T has is fine. The tiny notch never bothered me.
Connectivity: Really want 5G support! I don't cycle through phones quickly anymore so want to future proof
Required beyond doubt: in-screen fingerprint reader. Love this! 6T was the first to have it.
Cameras: I'm not a big camera guy but would like a zoom camera on the back (fixed optical zoom camera, or ability to optically zoom). Doesn't have to be best in class, but should be evolved from 6T

Now here's where I get a bit crazy: every phone I buy, I put in a case (I'm using the 6T OnePlus "graphite" case I think). What I'd RATHER have is no need for a case, but a ruggedized phone (waterproof of course) that doesn't need a case. By removing need for a case, the phone dimensions could be the same as the 6T+case. It would give room for a BETTER BATTERY. I'd like the battery to be in the 4500mAh+ plus range.

For god's sakes I wish they would bring back the multicolor LED (I used LightFlow with them in prior phones), but a good implementation of the always-on screen is fine too. But make it highly configurable and energy-sipping.

Software:
Plain vanilla Android. No bloatware. No carrier apps, but compatible with carrier apps for visual voicemail etc. Compatible with wifi calling, VoLTE etc.
Unlockable and rootable. I didn't do either to my 6T but want to know I could.

Price: I'm not looking for a flagship killer. <$600 US.

kmr168401

Jul 2, 2016
OnePlus 6T
Better wait for pixel 6 launch and decide based on it, but Samsung i never recommend, if you don't have options then you can purchase mainly because of Exynos processor, grrrrr.....

I hate to say it but ios supports theming that will something mind blowing, thay have powerful hardware but software sucks too many restrictions, i believe i am living under dictatorship when i am using it🤮

Reactions: Frankenscript

Frankenscript

May 29, 2014
Indianapolis Metro
Better wait for pixel 6 launch and decide based on it, but Samsung i never recommend, if you don't have options then you can purchase mainly because of Exynos processor, grrrrr.....

I hate to say it but ios supports theming that will something mind blowing, thay have powerful hardware but software sucks too many restrictions, i believe i am living under dictatorship when i am using it🤮
Thanks. I'm in no hurry to replace my 6T, but since it's getting up there in age, I have started musing about where to jump if necessary.

An iOS device is out of the question. I have one, for work, and it works fine, but I hate it. Hate it hate it hate it. I'm not saying iPhones are bad; my wife and kids have them and they work great for them. Just, I can't stand using them for more than the basics.

Pixel 6 looks interesting; I quail at the likely high-end price. We will see. I wish there were more options in the "next tier down from flagship" phones out there like OnePlus used to be in the 3T-6T era. No more...

kmr168401

Jul 2, 2016
OnePlus 6T
Flagship, sorry it's myth nowadays, why because can you tell any good processor available in market, once upon a time we had kirin from Huawei, but now there's no direct competitor for Qualcomm, so whatever garbage they produce and claiming it the best we need to accept that , look into the 888 series, they are garbage but we don't have any options, we need to accept it and invest in that, i am thinking of using my op6t for another two years, then move to sparkling trending iglore 🍎.

Sorry i forgot to add when ever we start 4k video recording in op9pro it's getting overheat so flagship killer mya**, and overpriced because of hasselblad camera, actually they didn't manufactured or designed, and who knows what is the collaboration is, but put the name and sell it for more than thousand dollars, fantastic. I have so many good words to express but this is not the place, so i keep quiet. You know something i brought realme 6 pro for my mother, its camera is fantastic compare to my op6t, it's cost me 250$, this is my last op6t

Last edited:
Reactions: Frankenscript

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    May jump to a Pixel. Tried to cop a 8T, but ended up with a incompatible version of it. Even then, By OOS changing soon I want to get even more freedom. It's sad I see a lot of people going to Samsung, which I ain't knocking, But they were the reason why I switched to OnePlus..
    Would love to see more responses to this post.
    I will be buying a new phone next year and have been asking myself this question.
    Ability to root and install custom ROMs means more to me than camera, fingerprint, wireless charging, whatever.
    Although a decent camera and waterproofing would be a nice bonus.
    If I could I'd go back and get a headphone jack and IR blaster as well. I miss my old HTCs.
    I had a 6T, scratched the screen somehow, got a 7T. Loved it, but switched to a Samsung A71. (easier to get the new stuff to work on my galaxy 3 smart watch than doing a bunch of hacking/loading stuff). Great screen, good battery life. For a midrange, 300 bucks was hard to pass up.
    Hi folks,

I'm still rocking my stock 6T (Global version) on AT&T. The battery is starting to show its age I think, but other than that it has been perfect. It's in great shape and I'm not planning to change it out any time soon. 2.5 years is already the longest I've ever used a phone.

But, with lots of bad reviews on the newest OnePlus offerings, and the continually steeper prices they are charging, I'm wondering what I would do if something happened to my 6T.

I bought it because of:
    Price/Performace ratio
    Not tethered to a carrier and minimal crapware
    Unlockable/rootable (though, I never did either on this phone)
    OnePlus good history of support on prior devices (I also have a 3T, now used as a wifi mini tablet)

So, What would you folks buy if you had to get a new phone today?