I'm back.... Yeah, that didn't take long.

Search This thread

runningnak3d

Recognized Developer
Nov 10, 2010
Largo
So, the OP7 pro sucks a**. I am done with crap hardware just to have an open phone.

With that said, if @ChazzMatt wants to catch me up on the latest... That would be great.

If anyone wants to know how bad the OP7 pro sucks .. just ask. Luckily they are going for around 800 on eBay for the 12/256 model that I bought.

Just typing this on my US998 V30+ is soooo much nicer. Having the "all screen" on the OP7 pro is just an illusion.

-- Brian

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
So, the OP7 pro sucks a**. I am done with crap hardware just to have an open phone.

With that said, if @ChazzMatt wants to catch me up on the latest... That would be great.

If anyone wants to know how bad the OP7 pro sucks .. just ask. Luckily they are going for around 800 on eBay for the 12/256 model that I bought.

Just typing this on my US998 V30+ is soooo much nicer. Having the "all screen" on the OP7 pro is just an illusion.

-- Brian

:cowboy:Nice to have you back. Someone mentioned you a couple of days back and I was wondering if you'd ever come back. As soon I saw the title I hoped it'd be you. Nice to see you are here :)

But I am curious why OnePlus 7 pro sucks, I was considering my next phone as OnePlus phone as LG seems to be allowing unlocking only on EU variant devices(and you leaving made unlocking on other regions less likely ) and their updates are slow as ever.

So far h930eu got pie update and it was pulled back but reason was not given. It had issues like notification overlap and poor Ram management. We have rctd and disable verify working for pie.

Australian and some other 930ds as well as Korean v30 also got the update. Those weren't pulled back afaik.

Lineage OS 16 with pie blobs is work in progress. There's some RIL issue on it where sim sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but otherwise it seems a big improvement :cowboy::laugh::fingers-crossed:
Edit: We also have Ceres kernel now for some time and it's amazing
Glad to have you back.
Edit 2: With pie coming A few of people bricked their phone with 9008

Last edited:

Inerent

Oct 6, 2017
Bucharest

-- Brian
Nice! Would you consider the V50?

Dizzyrul3z

Feb 27, 2014
Oberschlesien
Welcome back :) I remember how you said goodbye to us before changing to OP7 Pro Honestly I didn't expect such a quick return but this only proves that the V30 is a great and underrated phone. In a free moment describe your problems with OP7 Pro. This will be great advice for others :)

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Emu

Apr 5, 2013
I used a Pixel 3 XL for 2 weeks. I went insane. It's heavy, ugly, even darker screen than V30, half the battery life and the sound quality was abysmal. Oh and no wide angle camera was driving me insane. Also the GPS in other phones is horrible. You have to shout at Google Assistant for it to hear you lol! It's shocking how much LG nailed the hardware to this day. I returned the Pixel. It made me realize how great my V30 is and that I can go with it for at least two more years.

[email protected]

Mar 21, 2014
Chennai

-- Brian
Well...I tried the same with Oneplus 6T...:D

Brought around 4 months ago.... Used it for a week... And Sold it within the same week...

Camera was pathetic....Inface totally artificial and overprocessed.

Though Oxygen OS was amazing, I would go with better cameras anytime.

Was happy after I was back to V30.

IshsXda

Sep 24, 2017
I have used a S10+ for work and daily for a week. I couldnt stand it after that. The ultra sonic reader was absolutely horrible. Beyond me why any manufacturer doesnt have both rear and display FPR. The ultra sonic is not even a good verision of the display FPR in the first place....

Software, Idk if its because Pie is truly trash or Samsung is utterly incapable of optimizing their OS and making any feature at all work just as good as other flagships or even the old V30 i.e proximity sensor/AoD, wide angle, portrait/night mode (V30 Gcam/night sight), manual focus etc. The battery life was a joke, although performance was good the phone was no where near smooth like an iphone.

In terms of design, it was a big phone, in a light compact form factor with one of the best displays. Basically similar feel to a V30. For S10+ price range and samsung being the industry lead, you would think we would see an innovative implementation of the infinity O display. But nope, no front wide angle, no ToF/infared/depth sensor, no shoulder buttons, nothing worth changing usage at all. If we look at the note 10, no new front optics/iris, right hand power button, headphone jack, SD card expansion, and rear sensor all gone. Its sad LG is losing against these imbeciles.

Anyway my ending point, it will be a tricky one upgrading from the V30 i think. OP 7 pro imo, is good but the phone is gigantic and heavy. No rear sensor, jack or SD slot. The V50 has it all but its $1k and is bootloader locked.....

Reactions: ChazzMatt

Mrxyzl

May 1, 2015
I have used a S10+ for work and daily for a week. I couldnt stand it after that. The ultra sonic reader was absolutely horrible. Beyond me why any manufacturer doesnt have both rear and display FPR. The ultra sonic is not even a good verision of the display FPR in the first place....

Software, Idk if its because Pie is truly trash or Samsung is utterly incapable of optimizing their OS and making any feature at all work just as good as other flagships or even the old V30 i.e proximity sensor/AoD, wide angle, portrait/night mode (V30 Gcam/night sight), manual focus etc. The battery life was a joke, although performance was good the phone was no where near smooth like an iphone.

In terms of design, it was a big phone, in a light compact form factor with one of the best displays. Basically similar feel to a V30. For S10+ price range and samsung being the industry lead, you would think we would see an innovative implementation of the infinity O display. But nope, no front wide angle, no ToF/infared/depth sensor, no shoulder buttons, nothing worth changing usage at all. If we look at the note 10, no new front optics/iris, right hand power button, headphone jack, SD card expansion, and rear sensor all gone. Its sad LG is losing against these imbeciles.

Anyway my ending point, it will be a tricky one upgrading from the V30 i think. OP 7 pro imo, is good but the phone is gigantic and heavy. No rear sensor, jack or SD slot. The V50 has it all but its $1k and is bootloader locked.....

V50 is good. And it price will drop fast. And for the future, who know if it can be unlocked, like the v30 is not supposed to be unlocked for all model

ChazzMatt

Recognized Contributor
Nov 30, 2010
Atlanta, Georgia

-- Brian

:cowboy:Nice to have you back. Someone mentioned you a couple of days back and I was wondering if you'd ever come back. As soon I saw the title I hoped it'd be you. Nice to see you are here :)

So far h930eu got pie update and it was pulled back but reason was not given. It had issues like notification overlap and poor Ram management. We have rctd and disable verify working for pie.

Australian and some other 930ds as well as Korean v30 also got the update. Those weren't pulled back afaik.

Lineage OS 16 with pie blobs is work in progress. There's some RIL issue on it where sim sometimes works and sometimes doesn't but otherwise it seems a big improvement :cowboy::laugh::fingers-crossed:
Glad to have you back.

@tech_infinity just about covered it all.

We have newer:
files which are compatible with Pie, as well as backwards compatible with Oreo. I've put the newer LGUP in relevant threads like Frankenstein, WTF Instructions and EU H930 Pie KDZ (for several people who want to DOWNGRADE from buggy Pie back to stable Oreo).

I had to re-write the Section 6 (TWRP stuff) of the WTF instructions slightly for the different order for the newer disable encryption and disable root checker files. Basically you have to flash Magisk twice. You can read a copy here, which is a standalone post in the EU H930 Pie KDZ thread.

Stable TWRP 3.2.3.7 is still recommended by our TWRP dev -- yes, even on Pie.

I have new Pie KDZ threads locked and loaded for North American variants, whenever they are released. That link is for US998, but I have all the others ready too.

______

On the non-dev side, we still have people who refuse to read. This guy posted IN the WTF thread he couldn't find the instructions even though the first post of the WTF thread is a HUGE hyperlink to go to the Instructions... Several people set him straight. ;)

Couple days later, another guy claimed the WTF Instructions were a complete mess ("rabbit holes") and said the Frankenstein Instructions not only didn't have KDZ download links, that there was "no mention" anywhere in the thread where to download needed KDZ. I called him a liar to his face and posted screenshot of Frankenstein Instructions showing KDZ download links.

He basically wanted a dedicated thread for US998 -- instead of instructions where you follow what's right for your variant. (And he didn't even need Frankenstein, as he was already on US998 with fastboot flash commands.) He also didn't quite comprehend he needed to downgrade to pre-July 2018 Oreo, even though that's said several times throughout the WTF instructions -- especially at the beginning, and also listed first in the Troubleshooting Tips. That's the WHOLE POINT of WTF bootloader unlock exploit! Plus, I had reiterated that prerequisite at least TWICE in my replies to him.

Then, a few hours later he bricked his phone trying to flash T-mobile H932 firmware onto his US998. I asked him why he did that, and posted screenshots from both WTF and Frankenstein threads showing bolded red letter warnings T-mobile H932 has different RSA encryption. He said he thought warning was only one way, not the other.

I'm not picking on the 2nd guy specifically (I'm sorry he bricked his phone) -- but both are examples of people rushing to do something and not reading. Skimming so fast they miss very important information. (How can you miss the post #1 link to the WTF instructions?)

________

Anyway, WELCOME BACK!

And yes, LG nailed the hardware for the LG V30. It really was the best phone of all 2017, and with the early Oreo WTF bootloader unlock exploit it's PURE GOLD. (I still suspect someone in LG did that on purpose. So thank you to them also!)

Last edited:

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com
V50 is good. And it price will drop fast. And for the future, who know if it can be unlocked, like the v30 is not supposed to be unlocked for all model

Yeah. But those who want to buy a phone soon and definitely want to be able to root and install custom ROMs, they can't really take that gamble.
Also LG seems be messing up a lot. India (world's 2nd largest smartphone market), they launched neither the V50 nor the G8. Even V40 costs about 600$ right now.

TheDannemand

Feb 12, 2008
I was almost about to post that the important message of this thread is that Brian IS BACK, not the inferiorities of various other phones. But I see now that ChazzMatt got us back on track.

Anyways welcome back, buddy. In sorry the OP7 didn't work for you, but you've been missed! We've held the fort in your absence, with Chazz and the Devs doing the heavy lifting as usual.

H932 lafsploit is still going strong. As always a few people have problems or "misread" ( ;) ) the instructions, and we try to get them back on track the best we can. But sometimes we just don't know the exact answer and missed your insight.

As you've seen, Pie is finally on its way, hit the Korean V300 and the European H930. LG pulled it temporarily and are now in the process of re-releasing it.

My current obsession is the fact that all Pie KDZs we've seen so far are still ARB0, which means V30 is still rootable, since we can still roll back, either for WTF or for lafsploit. We have yet to see US releases, but fingers crossed that the barn door stays open :cowboy:

Once again welcome back. The offer to meet and help with Windows on your PCs stands, as I'm only 10mins away.

lowridincrew,

Jun 24, 2011
Cleveland

-- Brian

Man, I just got the Note 9 a few weeks ago and I keep my cracked screen V30+ on hand to listen to music. The Note just can't crack it plus root is nice.

YoungAll

Sep 29, 2016
______

On the non-dev side, we still have people who refuse to read. This guy posted IN the WTF thread he couldn't find the instructions even though the first post of the WTF thread is a HUGE hyperlink for the instructions. Several people set him straight. ;)

Couple days later, another guy claimed the WTF Instructions were a complete mess ("rabbit holes") and said the Frankenstein Instructions didn't have KDZ download links. I called him a liar to his face and posted screenshot showing Frankenstein KDZ download links. He basically wanted a dedicated thread for US998, instead of instructions where you follow what's right for your variant. He also didn't quite comprehend he needed to downgrade to early Oreo, even though that's said several times throughout the WTF instructions -- especially at the beginning, and listed first in the Troubleshooting Tips... Plus, I had reiterated that prerequisite at least TWICE in my replies to him.

Then, a few hours later he bricked his phone trying to flash T-mobile H932 firmware onto his US998. I asked him why he did that, and posted screenshots from both WTF and Frankenstein threads showing bolded red letter warnings T-mobile H932 has different RSA encryption. He said he thought warning was only one way, not the other.

I'm not picking on the 2nd guy specifically (I'm sorry he bricked his phone) -- but both are examples of people rushing to do something and not reading. Skimming so fast they miss very important information. (How can you miss the post #1 link to the WTF instructions?)

Lol what's wrong with this guy, didn't know he ended up bricking his phone :laugh:

shoman94

Recognized Contributor
Mar 27, 2009
Maine
I used a Pixel 3 XL for 2 weeks. I went insane. It's heavy, ugly, even darker screen than V30, half the battery life and the sound quality was abysmal. Oh and no wide angle camera was driving me insane. Also the GPS in other phones is horrible. You have to shout at Google Assistant for it to hear you lol! It's shocking how much LG nailed the hardware to this day. I returned the Pixel. It made me realize how great my V30 is and that I can go with it for at least two more years.
I find this hard to believe. The pixel 3xl is basically v30 with some changes as you mentioned like have a wide angle camera and the DAC which I don't use.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

cascabel

May 27, 2012
a city in a galaxy far far away
Don't forget LG and Samsung have easy firehose rescues using Octoplus box to fix Qualcomm USB QLD 9008 hard bricks
This is reassuring, tbh. Thanks for tha info.

---------- Post added at 08:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

I find this hard to believe. The pixel 3xl is basically v30 with some changes as you mentioned like have a wide angle camera and the DAC which I don't use.
Different preferences for different folks. Personally, i dislike the Pixel (at least compared to the v30). I'm probably biased, but where I'm from Pixels are expensive. Moreso than LG phones after a few months (their price drops insanely fast, at least in my opinion).

Also, i was never an audiophile (I'm not one even after the v30), but i have to say my tase in audio has shifted significantly after this getting this phone (and some chifi equipment). I'm going with v30 on this, but I'm sure many people would disagree.

Reactions: Trickymaster

tech_infinity

Jun 16, 2014
aakashverma.com

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Yeah. If someone told me they'd give me their pixel 3xl in exchange for my v30+150$ I'd probably do it.;)
Seems like pixel 3xl didn't match up with what he personally wanted
Though pixel devices have been notorious for having some or the other issue soon after soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

-- Brian

-- Brian

Glad to have you back.

@tech_infinity just about covered it all.

We have newer:
    files which are compatible with Pie, as well as backwards compatible with Oreo. I've put the newer LGUP in relevant threads like Frankenstein, WTF Instructions and EU H930 Pie KDZ (for several people who want to DOWNGRADE from buggy Pie back to stable Oreo).

I had to re-write the Section 6 (TWRP stuff) of the WTF instructions slightly for the different order for the newer disable encryption and disable root checker files. Basically you have to flash Magisk twice. You can read a copy here, which is a standalone post in the EU H930 Pie KDZ thread.

Stable TWRP 3.2.3.7 is still recommended by our TWRP dev -- yes, even on Pie.

I have new Pie KDZ threads locked and loaded for North American variants, whenever they are released. That link is for US998, but I have all the others ready too.

______

On the non-dev side, we still have people who refuse to read. This guy posted IN the WTF thread he couldn't find the instructions even though the first post of the WTF thread is a HUGE hyperlink to go to the Instructions... Several people set him straight. ;)

Couple days later, another guy claimed the WTF Instructions were a complete mess ("rabbit holes") and said the Frankenstein Instructions not only didn't have KDZ download links, that there was "no mention" anywhere in the thread where to download needed KDZ. I called him a liar to his face and posted screenshot of Frankenstein Instructions showing KDZ download links.

He basically wanted a dedicated thread for US998 -- instead of instructions where you follow what's right for your variant. (And he didn't even need Frankenstein, as he was already on US998 with fastboot flash commands.) He also didn't quite comprehend he needed to downgrade to pre-July 2018 Oreo, even though that's said several times throughout the WTF instructions -- especially at the beginning, and also listed first in the Troubleshooting Tips. That's the WHOLE POINT of WTF bootloader unlock exploit! Plus, I had reiterated that prerequisite at least TWICE in my replies to him.

________

Anyway, WELCOME BACK!

And yes, LG nailed the hardware for the LG V30. It really was the best phone of all 2017, and with the early Oreo WTF bootloader unlock exploit it's PURE GOLD. (I still suspect someone in LG did that on purpose. So thank you to them also!)
    Trying to get back in the saddle and then a hurricane headed our way. While it didn't impact Florida, we realized that we had a lot of work to do down here at our data center in case one does head this way (generator / UPS work, offsite DR testing, etc). Anywho, now that that work is done.....

Real quick list of what *I* found wrong with the OP7 Pro:
    • Prox sensor (or lack thereof) -- It has a "software" prox sensor (I think the S10 has one as well, and Samsung is also having issues). It just flat out doesn't work.
    • Curved screen -- While it may look cool (for a while), it is a complete PITA (form over function). Just holding the phone, and I was constantly making unwanted touches. Also trying to type was horrid.
    • 19.5:9 aspect ratio -- This also leads to BS when it comes to typing. Phones that have this aspect ratio are just WAY TOO TALL. I extended the keyboard up as much as was reasonable, and it was still a pain. Considering almost all new phones are 19.5:9 -- I don't look forward to upgrading.
    • Screen isn't as bright / colorful -- The screen was just DULL. I tried every adjustment I could using kcal and I just could not make it POP like the V30 (and for that matter even the G6 which uses LCD)
    • Pie sucks (and 10 is even worse) -- Google is stripping more and more features out of every up(down)grade. This is flatout a case of Windows all over again -- with Win 7 being the last version that was worth a damn.
    • Fingerprint sensor should be in the back -- While the in-display fingerprint sensor works surprisingly well, it is not ergonomic. When I pick up my phone it is just natural for my index finger to be in the right spot for the FP sensor on the V30. Now this may also be a case of the OP7 Pro being extremely long .. but I always had to reposition my thumb to get it to unlock. So, slow unlock time had nothing to do with the sensor, but with how I was picking it up (I was holding it wrong -- lol).
    • Camera -- It took OK pictures, but you were given 4:3 or 19.5:9 as choices for aspect ratio -- not 16:9. I am sure I could have fixed that (maybe by just installing another camera), but as I have stated in the past, I like thing pretty much stock.
    • SD855 processor -- This doesn't just apply to the OP7 Pro, but any phone with an SD845 / SD855 ... the speed gains are negligible for all that you lose. For example, no more recovery partition. System as root sucks a**. You pretty much have to be at your PC if you want to do anything every remotely risky with your phone since there is no booting to TWRP if you mess up your boot partition, and there is no way to force booting from A or B except from fastboot if you can't get to TWRP. Lastly, phones that ship with Pie now must enforce signed system partition. So, even if you have an unlocked bootloader, that does NOT disable the signature verification of system -- that is handled separately with vbmeta, which isn't a big deal, but just WHY?!
    I could go on for probably another couple of pages with my gripes, but I think this is plenty ;)

-- Brian
    Trying to get back in the saddle and then a hurricane headed our way. While it didn't impact Florida, we realized that we had a lot of work to do down here at our data center in case one does head this way (generator / UPS work, offsite DR testing, etc). Anywho, now that that work is done.....

Real quick list of what *I* found wrong with the OP7 Pro:
    • Prox sensor (or lack thereof) -- It has a "software" prox sensor (I think the S10 has one as well, and Samsung is also having issues). It just flat out doesn't work.
    • Curved screen -- While it may look cool (for a while), it is a complete PITA (form over function). Just holding the phone, and I was constantly making unwanted touches. Also trying to type was horrid.
    • 19.5:9 aspect ratio -- This also leads to BS when it comes to typing. Phones that have this aspect ratio are just WAY TOO TALL. I extended the keyboard up as much as was reasonable, and it was still a pain. Considering almost all new phones are 19.5:9 -- I don't look forward to upgrading.
    • Screen isn't as bright / colorful -- The screen was just DULL. I tried every adjustment I could using kcal and I just could not make it POP like the V30 (and for that matter even the G6 which uses LCD)
    • Pie sucks (and 10 is even worse) -- Google is stripping more and more features out of every up(down)grade. This is flatout a case of Windows all over again -- with Win 7 being the last version that was worth a damn.
    • Fingerprint sensor should be in the back -- While the in-display fingerprint sensor works surprisingly well, it is not ergonomic. When I pick up my phone it is just natural for my index finger to be in the right spot for the FP sensor on the V30. Now this may also be a case of the OP7 Pro being extremely long .. but I always had to reposition my thumb to get it to unlock. So, slow unlock time had nothing to do with the sensor, but with how I was picking it up (I was holding it wrong -- lol).
    • Camera -- It took OK pictures, but you were given 4:3 or 19.5:9 as choices for aspect ratio -- not 16:9. I am sure I could have fixed that (maybe by just installing another camera), but as I have stated in the past, I like thing pretty much stock.
    • SD855 processor -- This doesn't just apply to the OP7 Pro, but any phone with an SD845 / SD855 ... the speed gains are negligible for all that you lose. For example, no more recovery partition. System as root sucks a**. You pretty much have to be at your PC if you want to do anything every remotely risky with your phone since there is no booting to TWRP if you mess up your boot partition, and there is no way to force booting from A or B except from fastboot if you can't get to TWRP. Lastly, phones that ship with Pie now must enforce signed system partition. So, even if you have an unlocked bootloader, that does NOT disable the signature verification of system -- that is handled separately with vbmeta, which isn't a big deal, but just WHY?!
    I could go on for probably another couple of pages with my gripes, but I think this is plenty ;)

-- Brian

Thanks for this. I was thinking of *upgrading* to OnePlus 7.
    Now I realised I actually would've been downgrading. :fingers-crossed::good:
    The lovely V30 literally has everything I need , long live the king of smartphones, this is gonna stay with me for a long time.
    BTW welcome back.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone