General I'm Out..Rebuffed Pixel SuperFan Status!

Search This thread

rhetorician

Feb 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 6 Pro
So, I was just thinking to myself last night that after they the introduction of the new aggressive security API that detects root and renders my Gpay useless (which is just the beginning) I am finding it less and less worthwhile to have an Android device, which I've had now for 15 years. I use a Mac for computing and I'm beginning to wonder whether I do the same for my phone. I'm so sick of Google's crappy products and customer service. I just might join you before the value of this phone nose dives.

NippleSauce

Jun 23, 2013
So, I was just thinking to myself last night that after they the introduction of the new aggressive security API that detects root and renders my Gpay useless
*Cough* *cough* not true *cough* =)

Actually, wait, I missed the beginning sentence that you wrote and noticed it after I quoted it and posted my reply. So, it might be true. My apologies. When does that security API roll out?

rhetorician

Feb 9, 2012
OnePlus 8
Google Pixel 6 Pro
It's out. I posted earlier a link to the discussion on GitHub. Oddly enough, not all users have been affected yet. Then again, that makes sense given the range of variables. I can't even use my craigslist app because I can't pass the newly imposed tests.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220729-183640.png
    Screenshot_20220729-183640.png
    152.6 KB · Views: 173
  • Wow
Reactions: jericho246

MacGuy2006

Sep 15, 2006
I decided to dump the stock rom in favor of Pixel Experience, unrooted. I now have nearly all of the features I want including face unlock and zero problems.
Comments like this amaze me. The implementation of Face Unlock on these ROMs is the same as on cheap Chinese phones. It is not secure and it's a gimmick.

Also, I want a phone that works out of the box. Swapping ROMs gets old fast nowadays and unless one is a developer experimenting, it's not worth the hassle and the bugs for most.

If the camera on the S23 is as good as it promises to be, I'd be done with the P6P. Or go to the iPhone 14 and get the best battery life with everything turned on.

CertifiedBlyndGuy

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2014
Denver
OnePlus 9 Pro
Can't pinpoint when but over the last couple iterations of stock Android it's felt more like changes have been made for the sake of change rather than the benefit of the end user.

This is most apparent on the stock ROM. Everything was designed to be in your face constantly and I hate it so I'm running something else as of late.

I'm still not a fan of the new QS. My Pixel hasn't changed that. It's ugly, it's inconsistent (even on the 13 beta).

The fact of the matter is custom ROMs have always been better than nearly any carrier/OEM variation of Android and it just so happened that as I went back from OnePlus to a Pixel that development for Pixels would totally go down the drain relative to prior models.

That's partially because Google trashed the UI at its core and reversing that would take extensive work that just isn't worth the time.

This is the quickest I have ever gotten kind of annoyed with a device and it's completely unrelated to the hardware. The hardware of the 6, in spite of numerous criticisms, has always been great to me but Android as software is just... Dying in my eyes.

They get away with it as it's still more flexible as a platform than iOS but honestly they can only go so far.

If things don't improve either with 14 next year or with OnePlus doing a complete turn around in software, I'm out. I'll look more into the buggy affairs of Linux smartphones.

I have the luxury of having the 6 pro and the note 20 ultra, so when I am fed up with the six pro being goofy or glitchy I can switch back to that and generally enjoy it but have always been a fan of the nexus, pixel line so no matter how which it is I find myself wanting to come back. Lately considering ditching the 6 pro myself and considering the OP9 pro on special... Flashing 13 beta kind of help. The new visuals seem really cool but definitely made Android auto even quirkier. Maybe I should just consider the rooting and romming stuff again, but haven't really messed up it since maybe my OnePlus 7 pro

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
Comments like this amaze me. The implementation of Face Unlock on these ROMs is the same as on cheap Chinese phones. It is not secure and it's a gimmick.

Also, I want a phone that works out of the box. Swapping ROMs gets old fast nowadays and unless one is a developer experimenting, it's not worth the hassle and the bugs for most.

If the camera on the S23 is as good as it promises to be, I'd be done with the P6P. Or go to the iPhone 14 and get the best battery life with everything turned on.
I wouldn't go to an iPhone if they gave me a case of them for free.

The only issue I have with my P6P is how hot it gets when charging, the loss of audio for notifications when I connect to the BT in my work van, the poor radio for both 5G and LTE in weaker signal areas and the wretched battery life

I'm curious to see how P7P is with Android 13, which is how I'll probably go in October when it's released

Last edited:
I wouldn't go to an iPhone if they gave me a case of them for free.

The only issue I have with my P6P is how hot it gets when charging, the loss of audio for notifications when I connect to the BT in my work van, the poor radio for both 5G and LTE in weaker signal areas and the wretched battery life

I'm curious to see how P7P is with Android 13, which is how I'll probably go in October when it's released
I'm having the same issues plus I can never get a full signal even in a strong signal area where both my tablet and my other phone which is an S22 get a full signal, my previous phone on my other line was a OnePlus 10 Pro. Lost 40% battery in just a couple hours yesterday while getting our daughter moved into her dorm room and I didn't use the phone at all and it got really warm. I also have an issue with really slow data on this phone. I am not a fan of any of that. I like the but hate all the issues.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
I'm having the same issues plus I can never get a full signal even in a strong signal area where both my tablet and my other phone which is an S22 get a full signal, my previous phone on my other line was a OnePlus 10 Pro. Lost 40% battery in just a couple hours yesterday while getting our daughter moved into her dorm room and I didn't use the phone at all and it got really warm. I also have an issue with really slow data on this phone. I am not a fan of any of that. I like the but hate all the issues.
I don’t really have issues with data speeds. But I’m usually in 5G so I’m pretty solitaire but the problem is if I’m in like one bar 5G, forget about it I can’t load a website. Same thing with one bar of LTE. And the problems I listed are you know, pretty profound. They’re not all bad but the battery life is absolutely horrifying. I’m a tech for Dish Network and if I get you a job with 100% strength and it takes 2 1/2 hours to do the job when I’m done I’m at like 70%.

At the end of the day though, I just can’t buy into Samsung and all that bloat wear. My daughter has an S 22 ultra. It’s a hell of a nice phone call man there’s just so much extra junk on there.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I actually traded my s22 ultra for this p6pro and it was the best decision I ever made, hands down!
    So, I was just thinking to myself last night that after they the introduction of the new aggressive security API that detects root and renders my Gpay useless (which is just the beginning) I am finding it less and less worthwhile to have an Android device, which I've had now for 15 years. I use a Mac for computing and I'm beginning to wonder whether I do the same for my phone. I'm so sick of Google's crappy products and customer service. I just might join you before the value of this phone nose dives.
    Finally decided to take TMO up on their $800 Trade-In Offer on my P6_Pro & Upgraded to the S22 Ultra 512 gb
    (SM-S908U1).
    No more seeing me 'round Pixel Town...Safe Journeys, es
    Yeah, enjoy your new phone! Also, come back if you can ever get that thing rooted and stuff =). That (and the interface design) is primarily what is holding me back from Samsung phones - but I'm not sure if that has recently changed.
    I decided to dump the stock rom in favor of Pixel Experience, unrooted. I now have nearly all of the features I want including face unlock and zero problems.