General I'm Out..Rebuffed Pixel SuperFan Status!

Search This thread

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I don’t really have issues with data speeds. But I’m usually in 5G so I’m pretty solitaire but the problem is if I’m in like one bar 5G, forget about it I can’t load a website. Same thing with one bar of LTE. And the problems I listed are you know, pretty profound. They’re not all bad but the battery life is absolutely horrifying. I’m a tech for Dish Network and if I get you a job with 100% strength and it takes 2 1/2 hours to do the job when I’m done I’m at like 70%.

At the end of the day though, I just can’t buy into Samsung and all that bloat wear. My daughter has an S 22 ultra. It’s a hell of a nice phone call man there’s just so much extra junk on there.
All Samsung's need to be optimized for best performance. Package Disabler is very useful for this with a stock Samsung... just don't go too nuts as many do. They end up inadvertently finding out dependencies do matter. A completely gutted Samsung flagship is no fun and not necessary. Most of the small Samsung apps just sit there unless needed consuming little if any resources. As for the bloatware, use what you like and disable the rest. Some is quite useful like Smart Select and Screen write.

A warm running Samsung when the screen is off when they should be sleeping means there is a hog(s) at work. Cloud and social media apps are prime suspects. Global power management never worked right on Samsung's and will likely cause erratic behavior and the excessive power consumption still continue. The power hogs need to be identified and dealt with on a case by case basis. There's no one flip this switch fix to optimize a Sammy...

To help see how much Google apps are responsible, try temporarily disabling Google play Services before retiring at night. That kills Playstore, Gmail and partially disables Google backup Transport. Turn off locations when not needed. Turning off phone/internet is not needed though to achieve good standby times. 5G may be some of the problem, turn off if possible.
Display brightness should be set manually as needed and should rarely exceed 50%. The S22U can definitely fry the display and battery if used a lot in direct sunlight... avoid this. Used conservatively the display should last for years.

A hand optimized stock Samsung can run very well, but it doesn't optimize itself...

Reactions: HipKat
I don’t really have issues with data speeds. But I’m usually in 5G so I’m pretty solitaire but the problem is if I’m in like one bar 5G, forget about it I can’t load a website. Same thing with one bar of LTE. And the problems I listed are you know, pretty profound. They’re not all bad but the battery life is absolutely horrifying. I’m a tech for Dish Network and if I get you a job with 100% strength and it takes 2 1/2 hours to do the job when I’m done I’m at like 70%.

At the end of the day though, I just can’t buy into Samsung and all that bloat wear. My daughter has an S 22 ultra. It’s a hell of a nice phone call man there’s just so much extra junk on there.
There is 5G UC all over the Kansas City area yet I only get half bars or less. We were getting our daughter moved into her dorm room yesterday and within an hour, my battery was down to 70% without any usage. By the time we left, it was down to about 50% that that was with me charging it when we went to get lunch. Needless to say, I am not happy. This is the 2nd P6P with the battery and signal issues. T-Mobile wants me to try a warranty replacement to see how it goes. They say I have to wait until I hit the 50% point before I can upgrade to another phone.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
There is 5G UC all over the Kansas City area yet I only get half bars or less. We were getting our daughter moved into her dorm room yesterday and within an hour, my battery was down to 70% without any usage. By the time we left, it was down to about 50% that that was with me charging it when we went to get lunch. Needless to say, I am not happy. This is the 2nd P6P with the battery and signal issues. T-Mobile wants me to try a warranty replacement to see how it goes. They say I have to wait until I hit the 50% point before I can upgrade to another phone.
I wonder if a big part of that is from the low signal. Seems like when I’m in low signal areas my battery drain increases and that makes sense because the phone is struggling to do all that Netwerk stuff it does without having premium signal strength. I know one thing, no matter what phone I get next I will be paying for it from whatever store so that I can route it and go back to running if nothing else, better Kernels with better CPU governors. Hell, about eight years ago I wrote the book and CPU governors and I don’t even get to play with any on a of stock phone LOl

Reactions: blackhawk

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
I wonder if a big part of that is from the low signal. Seems like when I’m in low signal areas my battery drain increases and that makes sense because the phone is struggling to do all that Netwerk stuff it does without having premium signal strength. I know one thing, no matter what phone I get next I will be paying for it from whatever store so that I can route it and go back to running if nothing else, better Kernels with better CPU governors. Hell, about eight years ago I wrote the book and CPU governors and I don’t even get to play with any on a of stock phone LOl
5G doesn't have near the coverage of 4G. 5G works best with direct line of sight and is much more intolerant of obstacles. 5G cell tower density needs to be much greater than 4G because this and even increase density may be cost/location prohibitive. The 5G networks themselves may not be fully optimized and/or simply overloaded lacking sufficient bandwidth.
Phone firmware may not be optimized. Samsung is notorious for leaving loose ends on new phones that take time to correct.

I have direct line of sight to a nearby tower; 5G probably work good. Put a metal building in between, probably not. Even in an all metal wall/roof building with the metal door down I can stream vids on 4G... 4G has pretty good penetration.

I blew off 5G because of the above reasons and the fact that 4G adequately supports my needs plus my unlimited plan is grandfathered made it a no brainer decision.
It's not surprising that 5G continues to be a power hog on devices, it always was. Slamming bigger batteries in the phones is not an ideal solution. One of the reasons I'm still running 4G N10+'s on Android 9/10 is they run well for me.

5G doesn't have near the coverage of 4G. 5G works best with direct line of sight and is much more intolerant of obstacles. 5G cell tower density needs to be much greater than 4G because this and even increase density may be cost/location prohibitive. The 5G networks themselves may not be fully optimized and/or simply overloaded lacking sufficient bandwidth.
Phone firmware may not be optimized. Samsung is notorious for leaving loose ends on new phones that take time to correct.

I have direct line of sight to a nearby tower; 5G probably work good. Put a metal building in between, probably not. Even in an all metal wall/roof building with the metal door down I can stream vids on 4G... 4G has pretty good penetration.

I blew off 5G because of the above reasons and the fact that 4G adequately supports my needs plus my unlimited plan is grandfathered made it a no brainer decision.
It's not surprising that 5G continues to be a power hog on devices, it always was. Slamming bigger batteries in the phones is not an ideal solution. One of the reasons I'm still running 4G N10+'s on Android 9/10 is they run well for me.
Both my tablet and my other phone have a solid signal and great battery life. Even the phone I had on my other line prior to switching to a Galaxy S22 was a OnePlus 10 Pro had a full signal. My previous phone on this line was a Z Fold3 and it always had a full signal.

They are shipping a replacement device to a nearby store. I'm not confident in it performing any better. This is the 2nd P6P I have had, the previous on was on my other line and it had the same signal issues and poor battery life.

CertifiedBlyndGuy

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 11, 2014
Denver
OnePlus 9 Pro
As an owner of both the S22U and the P6P, I prefer the P6P.
After using every brand under the sun Pixels are still the best Android devices. Solid recommendations to family too. Went from constantly having to look at family members phones to maybe 1 or 2 times over the past 4 years or so. I'm just not very happy with the direction of Android as a whole is all

blackhawk

Jun 23, 2020
Samsung Galaxy Note 10+
Both my tablet and my other phone have a solid signal and great battery life. Even the phone I had on my other line prior to switching to a Galaxy S22 was a OnePlus 10 Pro had a full signal. My previous phone on this line was a Z Fold3 and it always had a full signal.

They are shipping a replacement device to a nearby store. I'm not confident in it performing any better. This is the 2nd P6P I have had, the previous on was on my other line and it had the same signal issues and poor battery life.
Don't know. 5G is better suited for high bandwidth burst transfers that better offset its increased power consumption. However the bandwidth limits are many times the websites themselves in which case 4G is a better choice.

Could be some devices/cell networks are better optimized and use 5G more selectively/effectively. Or it could be a design flaw in the firmware and/or hardware of some devices. In any case 5G still needs a lot of work and new towers to be built in order to meet its goals. It's going to be a lengthy rollout process.

Hype isn't fact no matter how much one repeats it... and just because a lot of people believe something doesn't make it a scientific fact.
WYSIWYG.
Android's were so full of promise 3 years ago, somehow much of that promise got watered down with worthless hype. Huge batteries that yield less SOT in spite of more efficient ram and processors. Samsung flagships are a perfect example of this. wtf?
Is it an Android or an iPhone?🤮🤢🍏🤭🤣

NYCHitman1

Recognized Developer
Apr 9, 2010
New York
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 3
After using every brand under the sun Pixels are still the best Android devices. Solid recommendations to family too. Went from constantly having to look at family members phones to maybe 1 or 2 times over the past 4 years or so. I'm just not very happy with the direction of Android as a whole is all
Agreed on all fronts.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

NYCHitman1

Recognized Developer
Apr 9, 2010
New York
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 3

The settings menu alone, for me, is one of the reasons it sits in a box collecting dust.

Birdsfan

Jun 3, 2010
Doylestown, PA
I wouldn't go to an iPhone if they gave me a case of them for free.

The only issue I have with my P6P is how hot it gets when charging, the loss of audio for notifications when I connect to the BT in my work van, the poor radio for both 5G and LTE in weaker signal areas and the wretched battery life

I'm curious to see how P7P is with Android 13, which is how I'll probably go in October when it's released
HipKat, I'm almost feeling the exact opposite of you for some of the very reasons you stated in your post. I have been an Android fan since I pre-ordered the Nexus One. There are sacrifices I make that are beginning to annoy me, some of those are cell reception (6P is not that good), battery life (okay not great), screen brightness, again okay, speaker volume, curved glass front with glossy glass on the back. I have an iphony 13 pro max that I use occasionally and a lot of those pain points are solved with that phone but ios brings up other issues too. I realize there are other Android phones that would solve some of the issues but I do enjoy Google's version of Android, I just wish they would bring their hardware into 2022.

skymera

Mar 28, 2010
It's a long story, but I technically didn't pay anything for it.
You still got ripped off.
Don't forget Tensor has a 1st gen Samsung 5G chip which is years old, and sucks.

I can get 600Mbps down with my S21Ultra and I can't anywhere CLOSE to that in the same spot with my P6P.

HipKat

Recognized Contributor
You still got ripped off.

Don't forget Tensor has a 1st gen Samsung 5G chip which is years old, and sucks.

I can get 600Mbps down with my S21Ultra and I can't anywhere CLOSE to that in the same spot with my P6P.
HipKat, I'm almost feeling the exact opposite of you for some of the very reasons you stated in your post. I have been an Android fan since I pre-ordered the Nexus One. There are sacrifices I make that are beginning to annoy me, some of those are cell reception (6P is not that good), battery life (okay not great), screen brightness, again okay, speaker volume, curved glass front with glossy glass on the back. I have an iphony 13 pro max that I use occasionally and a lot of those pain points are solved with that phone but ios brings up other issues too. I realize there are other Android phones that would solve some of the issues but I do enjoy Google's version of Android, I just wish they would bring their hardware into 2022.

I hear what you guys are saying. And you’re right about the download speed, the battery life on this phone is horrifying. I would say it’s about the same as early Annedroids I had. Like the hero and the evo. Seriously, I was on one job today for 3 1/2 hours and my battery dropped from 87% to 60% and most of the time it was just in my pocket. It seems like anytime I take it off the charger it just drops. Not to mention, no matter what are used, whether it’s an official cable that came with the phone, or a good USB charger, this phone gets warm as hell when it’s charging.

I have not had any issues with screen brightness and I Bluetooth to my work van and personal vehicle stereos so volume is not an issue although, lately when I am connected to Bluetooth my notifications are ridiculously quiet. That’s going to be from one of the OTA‘s.

I’m not going to do anything without a lot of research but my daughter has an S22 ultra and it’s a pretty sweet phone. Maybe if I play with hers tomorrow I’ll get over my hatred for Samsung or I’ll see what the P7P has to offer. I’ve been straight google since the Nexus 6 so it would be hard to change

I received my replacement and as expected it has the same issues with signal, horrible battery life, heating, and slow download speeds( my base Galaxy S22 hits over 700 Mbps on Wi-Fi and over 500 on 5G and LTE) where this one struggles to get 50 on cellular data and Wi-Fi isn't much better. I'm very frustrated. This is my 3rd,one on my other line, and two on my primary line including this warranty replacement.

I had never had a Pixel before and liked the specs on this device. This will be my last. The great camera and cool features like song identification and all that don't outweigh the negative performance of this device.

My previous device on my other line was a OnePlus 10 Pro with the same size battery and after working a 10 hour shift, the OnePlus 10 Pro still had 80% battery while the P6P had less than 40%.

It seems that the problems so many of us are having are falling on deaf ears and they are just turning a blind eye to the issues. They got our money and have moved on.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I actually traded my s22 ultra for this p6pro and it was the best decision I ever made, hands down!
    So, I was just thinking to myself last night that after they the introduction of the new aggressive security API that detects root and renders my Gpay useless (which is just the beginning) I am finding it less and less worthwhile to have an Android device, which I've had now for 15 years. I use a Mac for computing and I'm beginning to wonder whether I do the same for my phone. I'm so sick of Google's crappy products and customer service. I just might join you before the value of this phone nose dives.
    Finally decided to take TMO up on their $800 Trade-In Offer on my P6_Pro & Upgraded to the S22 Ultra 512 gb
    (SM-S908U1).
    No more seeing me 'round Pixel Town...Safe Journeys, es
    Yeah, enjoy your new phone! Also, come back if you can ever get that thing rooted and stuff =). That (and the interface design) is primarily what is holding me back from Samsung phones - but I'm not sure if that has recently changed.
    I decided to dump the stock rom in favor of Pixel Experience, unrooted. I now have nearly all of the features I want including face unlock and zero problems.
    Comments like this amaze me. The implementation of Face Unlock on these ROMs is the same as on cheap Chinese phones. It is not secure and it's a gimmick.

Also, I want a phone that works out of the box. Swapping ROMs gets old fast nowadays and unless one is a developer experimenting, it's not worth the hassle and the bugs for most.

If the camera on the S23 is as good as it promises to be, I'd be done with the P6P. Or go to the iPhone 14 and get the best battery life with everything turned on.