Im suspecting that my WiFi connection is blocking me from getting OTA updates.

Search This thread

sjvirchow

Jan 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
Ever since I got my phone, I've always had to go to a UbreakiFix store to update my phone, because every time I check for updates I get a message saying that my software is up to date. My phone is still on the December 2020 patch with One UI 3.0. That last time I had to update, a UBreakiFix store was able to do it. That store is about an hour away from me though.

I've connected to Smart Switch on my PC and it also claims that my software is up to date, even though I know for a fact that isn't the case.

I've had a lot of problems with my WiFi, such as WiFi calling not working, to things like online gaming not being possible because of NAT restrictions.

I have no access to the WiFi settings, as I am renting a room out of a house and the homeowner is the one with full control of the network. It's a Netgear Orbi mesh system. I have tried tweaking settings in the past, but only under their supervision. I couldn't ever get online gaming or WiFi calling to work. What's even more frustrating is that AT&T only allows you to check for updates only once every 24 hours.

What would be a good way to test my theory? I need a WiFi network that would allow OTA updates to be downloaded, and I need to be able to check for updates. Any ideas?

Also, is Smart Switch always right about updates?

TLDR; Phone claims it's up to date when it isn't and I suspect my WiFi network is the problem. Need to test that theory.

mxxcon

Sep 17, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
Connect to any wifi at a store or cafe or friend/relative house. Many cable isp offer wifi connection outside of home try that.
Are you sure that at&t pushed out newer update?

sjvirchow

Jan 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
Connect to any wifi at a store or cafe or friend/relative house. Many cable isp offer wifi connection outside of home try that.
Are you sure that at&t pushed out newer update?
The most recent update with OneUI 3.1 got halted by Samsung but I need the security patch update, not the OneUI 3.1 update. So then if that update is pulled, is it possible that I wouldn't be able to receive the January security patch too?

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
The most recent update with OneUI 3.1 got halted by Samsung but I need the security patch update, not the OneUI 3.1 update. So then if that update is pulled, is it possible that I wouldn't be able to receive the January security patch too?
the 3.1 update has already begun rolling out again, I got it myself a few days back. you're in New Mexico ? when I was in the states Wendy's had unlocked Wi-Fi (if you can actually go in there is another matter) but just outside a building with open Wi-Fi should be enough to run an update check.

or if you can stand the agony of waiting longer on a download, try a free VPN app to check and download.

3mel

Aug 23, 2012
London
that might be true honestly I don't know. but if you're still behind on previous security updates they should be waiting for you.
worth giving a vpn a try for one off use.

many if not most of the free ones do sell users data and some even ask for device usage permissions which they don't need at all, so maybe test your theory and then delete it.

Last edited:

sjvirchow

Jan 19, 2012
Seattle, WA
I called AT&T, they mentioned nothing about being able to push an update, they said that if the baseband and the build number match that I am up to date, and they referred me to Samsung. Samsung said that "not all S20 FE devices are receiving the January security update, not to worry, your device is up to date."

No. It isn't. They both couldn't be any more wrong.

UPDATE: After some googling I found this page of Samsung S20 FE firmware images, but ATT isn't in that list.