Question Image Backup

Search This thread

Lawrencetate1

Jul 23, 2018
I haven't rooted a phone in about a decade. Back then, unlocking the bootloader didn't reset the phone. I've got a Pixel 6a that I want to backup before I root it and lose my setup.

Way back when... there was no decent imaging backup for Android. Is there one now? I just want to do something like I do with Windows PC "disks". Which is transfer an entire disk image (or partition).

Thanks for any insight.

(Oh, and I did do a search, just maybe with the wrong keyword or wrong place.)

mmead1143

Dec 27, 2010
I'm actually using the Pixel backup in your Setttings-System-Backup.

On wifi it takes about 10 mins to backup - then if i fresh flash or go back to stock, you can access it in the setup menu. It essentially copies all your texts and app-data...then as you re-download apps the cache is there, etc.

It's pretty slick. Oh - the backup file is saved in your Drive-backup folder. Make sure it's there before you reset - GL

Lawrencetate1

Jul 23, 2018
I'm using the Pixel backup in your Settings-System-Backup.

On wifi it takes about 10 mins to backup - then if i fresh flash or go back to stock, you can access it in the setup menu. It essentially copies all your texts and app data...then as you re-download apps the cache is there, etc.

It's pretty slick. Oh - the backup file is saved in your Drive-backup folder. Make sure it's there before you reset - GL
Thanks,

That will keep the essential info, yes. But, I want an exact image that will restore everything exactly as it is now. Meaning all shortcuts and nested shortcuts are exactly in the same place. I've got dozens of shortcuts nested and spread out over three home pages.

Reconstructing those every time I reset was why I quit tinkering with Android, to begin with. In my case, I may be screwed because I'll have to root to run any such backup... catch-22.

But, I am already running the built-in backup on a two-hour schedule.

Last edited:
Reactions: mmead1143

mmead1143

Dec 27, 2010
Thanks,

That will keep the essential info, yes. But, I want an exact image that will restore everything exactly as it is now. Meaning all shortcuts and nested shortcuts are exactly in the same place. I've got dozens of shortcuts nested and spread out over three home pages.

Reconstructing those every time I reset was why I quit tinkering with Android, to begin with. In my case, I may be screwed because I'll have to root to run any such backup... catch-22.

Yeah - not sure the google backup will do all that. But all my widgets etc. come right back, not like the background image.

So you'll lose some stuff but not much from my history with it - that said, I'm pretty minimalist so maybe keep looking haha ;) GL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I'm using the Pixel backup in your Settings-System-Backup.

On wifi it takes about 10 mins to backup - then if i fresh flash or go back to stock, you can access it in the setup menu. It essentially copies all your texts and app data...then as you re-download apps the cache is there, etc.

Thanks,