Image Editing ... Please Help

Search This thread

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
Hi there ... my question is for the people who have a clue in editing images .... tried searching here, also in google, but can`t find the answer I`m looking for.
Everyone that has tried to edit a manila file with a .png or .bmp inside has seen that some pictures have PINK background (boarders) that look transparent when installed on the phone. I will attach a picture as example of course ...
So when I try to edit such image using a photo software (for example Photoshop) and save the image after a change or two, I get that PINK to show in my image on the phone .... when it`s not edited the background is still PINK but it never shows up .... so this PINK color is some kind of transparent background that works in a different way than the normal transparent layer that I add to pictures in order to be transparent ....
The perfect example ... I install a SKIN for Resco Explorer ... the skin has a .skn file and 3 png files that are the icons that are used inside the software. All 3 files are with PINK boarders, so when I install them they show completely transparent on the phone ... when I edit them and remove the PINK at all from the image and make that same PINK transparent, the icons are not transparent any more but with WHITE background .... That happens ONLY ON these pictures that have that PINK background by default. If I take a normal image that has no PINK boarders and make it transparent it shows also transparent in my phone. The second try with the png files with the icons for Resco is by editing the file without removing the PINK background ... let`s say I change an icon and then when I save the image and put it in my phone ... I can see the pink behind the edited icon .... when I try to copy just the pink and make it a layer it shows PINK on my phone ....

So in less words ... is there a way to make my own PINK background to look transparent, like in the original files, and is there some kind of tutorial on how to do that .... cause it`s really different when you try to edit an image with that kind of background and a normal transparent background ... it just shows up differently in phone !
Hope people that have worked with photoshop know what I`m talking about.
Thanks for your time reading this whole thing and really hope that someone could help me ... thanks in advanced !

P.S. Uploading 2 images ... 1 is from the phcanImages.dll that has all Images from the Dialer screen , and the other is a png file with icons for resco explorer. Both have that PINK background and both show up differently when that pink is replaced with a normal transparent layer !

Attachments

• CustToolbar64.jpg
    CustToolbar64.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 82

tictac0566

Jul 25, 2008
Europe
Well, a bmp picture won´t give you transparency options.

Attached, see your example as a png picture.

Don´t know about your settings in Photoshop...

Attachments

• Dialer.png
    Dialer.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 40

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
And how did u manage to make it look like that .... and if I save that file as .png will I get the PINK background again ?
Ok ... so I tried to save the bmp as png ... the pink background was still there when I saved it as png .... I tried to make it transparent but I don`t know how , cause that is neither Raster or Layer ... it`s background and I cant get it transparent .... I tried another thing ... I made a transparent background ... added a layer and draw custom lines.. then saved the image as .bmp .... I got an image with white background instead of transparent .... how can I get that PINK background that the phone recognizes as transparent and save it as BMP file ???

Last edited:

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
Ok ... let me put it that way ... someone can really help if he can .... how to make a transparent background in a BMP file ?

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
If you download the attached file ... you`ll see that there is a PINK background that doesn`t show in the phone ... so phone recognizes it as transparent .... I`m asking how can I do such background on a BMP file ......

rawrscary

Apr 7, 2010
Brisbane
I actually noticed this while messing around with a dialer, it seemed that the pink areas were indeed transparant on the phone. I was able to copy the pink colour to make The answer/ignore slider transparent if i wanted to. No idea if you can create a new image and have tranceparency tho.

Last edited:

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
I`m sure that here are people that have edited tons of bmp files .... it`s absolutely impossible no one to know how can I make transparent parts on a bmp file .... renaming gif to bmp didn`t work !!!!!!

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
I actually noticed this while messing around with a dialer, it seemed that the pink areas were indeed transparant on the phone. I was able to copy the pink colour to make The answer/ignore slider transparent if i wanted to. No idea if you can create a new image and have tranceparency tho.

When I copy and paste the pink area I get pink also at the image in my phone .... that is the question ... how can I make such pink area in order the pink area to be shown as transparent on my phone .....

gore_darkside

Feb 17, 2009
Sevilla
twitter.com
try to save it as gif on the PhotoShop and then try to change its extension to bmp, it may work that way. cheers

OMG, you can never do this!, contents on file is the same, you are ONLY changing the file extension. If you, for example, create a .wav file and then change it to .mp3 it doesn't convert to an MP3 file, it's only a WAV file with a xxxx.mp3 name, so, as content isn't mp3, you can't read it in a mp3-only player.

Now, with that in mind, an BMP file format (And JPG's by the way) don't have any way to establish transparency or semi-transparency (like alpha in PNG's format.). So many programs needing transparent pixels on BMP files have used along many years a especific RGB color (also called Mask color) that isn't used often in pictures, like a bright pink or a bright green, (pink being the most used). This way, a program reading this file detect pixels with this EXACT color and do their magic ignoring those pixels making them transparents.

This pink color is R:255, G:0, B:255 or #ff00ff in hex.
Green in turn is R:0, G:255, B:0 or #00ff00 in hex.

NOTE: NEVER use JPG format when working with this type of masking, as JPG compression adds artifacts and modifies colors slightly. You must use EXACTLY this color code for masking BMP files (you can't use for example R:254, G:0, B:255).

k8sh

Mar 26, 2010
+1 on post 12.

I did not know the exact color of pink (hex code) but when I worked with xdashutdown skins, the PNG's have pink background so I simply used the color picker and I have perfect transparencies every time. At least now I know the hex code for this pink. Thanks!

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
OMG, you can never do this!, contents on file is the same, you are ONLY changing the file extension. If you, for example, create a .wav file and then change it to .mp3 it doesn't convert to an MP3 file, it's only a WAV file with a xxxx.mp3 name, so, as content isn't mp3, you can't read it in a mp3-only player.

Now, with that in mind, an BMP file format (And JPG's by the way) don't have any way to establish transparency or semi-transparency (like alpha in PNG's format.). So many programs needing transparent pixels on BMP files have used along many years a especific RGB color (also called Mask color) that isn't used often in pictures, like a bright pink or a bright green, (pink being the most used). This way, a program reading this file detect pixels with this EXACT color and do their magic ignoring those pixels making them transparents.

This pink color is R:255, G:0, B:255 or #ff00ff in hex.
Green in turn is R:0, G:255, B:0 or #00ff00 in hex.

NOTE: NEVER use JPG format when working with this type of masking, as JPG compression adds artifacts and modifies colors slightly. You must use EXACTLY this color code for masking BMP files (you can't use for example R:254, G:0, B:255).

Thanks for your responce .... Tried everything I could , but it didn`t work out as I expected ... it still does show PINK on my phone ... don`t know why .... I use photoshop and the BMP I put in the .dll I`m trying to modify has the same hex color : 255 ; 0 ; 255 ... but still shows as pink.
Can you please try to modify the following and see if there is not a problem with the BMP itself. I`m puting the original image from the .dll and the way I would like to look (the Pink that I add must be transparent) as another image.

P.S.
Tried also to save the bmp as 16bit , 24bit and 32 bit BMP in Photoshop ... cause I read somewhere that the BMP must not be in 24bit format .... when I saved it as 16bit the PINK was saved as 248 ; 0 ; 248 .... then I dofied it again .
So I tried everything in every tutorial without luck :(

Attachments

• FILES.zip
    336.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

gore_darkside

Feb 17, 2009
Sevilla
twitter.com
Thanks for your responce .... Tried everything I could , but it didn`t work out as I expected ... it still does show PINK on my phone ... don`t know why .... I use photoshop and the BMP I put in the .dll I`m trying to modify has the same hex color : 255 ; 0 ; 255 ... but still shows as pink.
Can you please try to modify the following and see if there is not a problem with the BMP itself. I`m puting the original image from the .dll and the way I would like to look (the Pink that I add must be transparent) as another image.

Ok I'll look

Update: Your pink color is ok, I think it must be the program (manila?) is not programmed to search transparency in that part of the image. If so, there is nothing you can do as far as I know, as you don't have the source code.

Last edited:

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
Ok I'll look

Update: Your pink color is ok, I think it must be the program (manila?) is not programmed to search transparency in that part of the image. If so, there is nothing you can do as far as I know, as you don't have the source code.

Cant be manila .... I`m editing phcanImages.dll ... it`s the file that has all images from the Dialer ... as I saw there were people that modified some images from the same .dll, I don`t think it`s possible some program to recognize just part of the .dll`s images color, not all the images.
So maybe I`m doing something wrong.
I really tried everything possible with the "magic color"... I know about it for a week now, it`s not new information ... so I tried really everything, read many tutorials, but it didn`t help.
Btw ... are you good at editing dll files with images ?

gore_darkside

Feb 17, 2009
Sevilla
twitter.com
Cant be manila .... I`m editing phcanImages.dll ... it`s the file that has all images from the Dialer ... as I saw there were people that modified some images from the same .dll, I don`t think it`s possible some program to recognize just part of the .dll`s images color, not all the images.
So maybe I`m doing something wrong.
I really tried everything possible with the "magic color"... I know about it for a week now, it`s not new information ... so I tried really everything, read many tutorials, but it didn`t help.
Btw ... are you good at editing dll files with images ?

The only dll's i've edited was in Windows, with Resource Hacker. If you are using this, maybe I can help. I think you where editing manila, but my past response (post 16) remains the same. What program are you using to edit the dll?

c0rp1

Nov 18, 2009
Same .... resource hacker ... and yes ... phcanImages.dll is in /Windows folder .... I don`t think this has something to do with signing or unsigning also , cause I tried with both signed and manulay copied unsigned file and the result was same !!!

gore_darkside

Feb 17, 2009
Sevilla
twitter.com
Same .... resource hacker ... and yes ... phcanImages.dll is in /Windows folder .... I don`t think this has something to do with signing or unsigning also , cause I tried with both signed and manulay copied unsigned file and the result was same !!!

I'm viewing phcanImages.dll, what is the resource number you are editing, cause it seems my phone has a different dll and I can't find a similar image to the one you posted. Can you post the original/unmodified dll you have?