• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[IME/EXO][DISKUSSION/COLLECTION] HTC U12+/Exodus 1 - Case Compilation Thread

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
MD5: 91497e1b11f2262d0d8ff0aa7a164f3b
Greetings everybody,

so after I pre-ordered my HTC U12+ Translucent Blue, and am currently waiting for a review unit, I started ordering some cases to compare and see which one I'll go with on my all new HTC U12+. I dicided to share my first orders, and to review them as they arrive, updating this thread accordingly.

What I ordered:

1. QULLOO Clear - Shock absorbing TPU Case
  2. MEINOUXU Slim Rubber Frosted Matte Plastic - Hard Case

What contributers ordered:

1. Poetic Carbon Shield by @jrocka312
  2. Moonmini PU Leather Case by @tbalden
  3. Tudia Slim Fit EXTREME by @MrN1484
  4. mumbi TPU Frosted Case by @SuperFredF

I will add to this list, as either I'm getting new cases, or you are adding new ones with your own reviews. For the later case, I'll post a linkt to your post in the OP, and add it to the list.

Now have fun reading and participating at this thread.

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Last edited:
Reactions: AtAM1 and tbalden

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
1) [QULLOO] Crystal Clear - Shock absorbing TPU Case

In the low-budget segment there are, as usual, a large number of cases. I usually use one until I receive my higher quality, pre-ordered cases - like something from Spigen. The QULLOO TPU Softcase differs significantly from the Spigen Liquid Crystal Case. Although this case also comes with a so-called Dottet Buffer surface on the inside, instead of the air cushions in the Spigen Case, it has clear thickening at the corners, and a matt reinforcement in the area of the Edge Sense 2.0 sensors.

IMAG0015.jpg

In the test, however, the matt reinforcement was quite a hindrance. If the U12+ recognizes the short squeeze, as well as the squeeze and hold action correctly, there were always problems with the double tap action, because it was not recognized right away.

Test result: good (2)

2) KingShark Transparent TPU Case

Another case in the low-budget segment is the KingShark Transparent TPU Case. It is significantly thinner than the cases of QULLOO, or spigen, but also comes in a so-called dottet buffer surface inside. This prevents, as in the case of the Spigen Liquid Crystal Case, unsightly blistering and/or staining between the smooth surface of the HTC U12+ and the case as such.

IMAG0016.jpg

Furthermore, it does not possess "Air Cushion Technology"

Test result: good (2)

Attachments

Last edited:

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
1) [HTC] Transparent - Hard Case

Review in the works.

2) [MEINUOXU] Slim Rubber Frosted Matte Plastic - Hard Cover

As with TPU cases, there is an almost endless selection in the low-budget segment of hard cases - especially on portals like AliExpress. In order to have an alternative, and thus independent comparison possibility, to the supplied HTC Crystal Clear Hardcase, I also ordered some cases via AliExpress in this case - since each one only cost about 0,80 €. The cases have a decisive disadvantage compared to the HTC hardcase: they lack the necessary cut-outs in the area of the edge sense sensors. Furthermore, the cutouts for the volume buttons and the power button do not match the positions on the frame of the HTC U12+.

IMAG0992.jpg

A test was not necessary due to the shortcomings mentioned above.

Test result: insufficient (6)

Last edited:
Reactions: tbalden

jal3223

Mar 14, 2009
I'm really curious about how much attention case and screen protector companies give the U12+ due to HTC's decreased popularity.

Does anyone know if the screen has a curve to it at all? I'm real worried we will be in another situation that you can't find a decent tempered glass. I guess that's for another thread though.

OGhoul

Apr 17, 2013
Pittsburgh
I'm really curious about how much attention case and screen protector companies give the U12+ due to HTC's decreased popularity.

Does anyone know if the screen has a curve to it at all? I'm real worried we will be in another situation that you can't find a decent tempered glass. I guess that's for another thread though.
The glass appears to be entirely flat until the edges, until it forms an M9-esque 90 degree bend and goes into the aluminum body. Think as if the entire front portion of the M9 were glass.

At least, that's what I'm getting out of the pictures that have come out so far.

Reactions: 5m4r7ph0n36uru

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
The glass appears to be entirely flat until the edges, until it forms an M9-esque 90 degree bend and goes into the aluminum body. Think as if the entire front portion of the M9 were glass.

At least, that's what I'm getting out of the pictures that have come out so far.
Yes absolutely flat to the edges.

Sent from my HTC U12+ using XDA Labs

Reactions: OGhoul

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
I'm finally going to get this one https://www.amazon.de/Moonmini-Rück...UTF8&qid=1528978613&sr=1-14&keywords=u12+plus
This looks like good protection and somewhat I like its leather style.
I'll get a transparent one on the longer run, once the bigger names start to ship them.
Great choice when it come to design. Looking at the matt black one since a few days. Still didn't order it. Seems a little bit flexible at the sides which would be positive for Edge Sense and double tap I guess.

5m4r7ph0n36uru

Apr 23, 2014
For my HTc 10 i was using this Case:
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01IW3OH82...olid=2BBLC2HN0SPDW&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

i am searching something similar for the HTC U12+, but didnt found something yet.

U have any suggestions or tipps for me?
Not yet. But such a case might be a problem when it comes to Edge Sense and its usability. Thus I went with TPU crystal clear cases, which IMHO did a good job in protecting my U11 and still keep the Edge Sense sensors working.

Reactions: OGhoul

jrocka312

Mar 11, 2015
Philadelphia
I just ordered the Poetic Karbon Shield. Should receive both the case and phone tomorrow. Will update with my thoughts. https://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Karbon-Shield-Absorbing-Texture/dp/B07C6YW9CT/ref=sr_1_1_sspa/145-2051360-8800628?ie=UTF8&qid=1530103836&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=poetic+htc+u12&psc=1

Sorry for the delay. I have been using the Poetic Karbon Shield for 10 days now and I have to say it is great! It does not inhibit Edge Sense from working and does not have any negative impact on the haptic buttons for power and volume. The case does have a nice lip around the entire screen to protect it when face down. There is an ample amount of buffer between the case and camera as well. The texture on the back and sides is not slippery and allows for a nice grip when holding the phone. The cutouts are all perfect. The case most definitely gives me more confidence than then included OEM case. It does not make the phone that much more bulky. I really like this case!

My opinions so far:
Poetic Karbon Shield : 8
Ringke FUSION-X: 9
HTC OEM Case: 4

Attachments

Last edited: