IMEI is screwed, anyway to restore?

Search This thread

colhavoc

Apr 23, 2010
Nova Scotia
Hi,

I bought a Galaxy S i9000 from someone for cheap because they said it didn't work. Anyways, after getting into ODIN on it and flashing a custom rom, I got it to boot. Problem now is, I think the IMEI number on the phone is screwed up (I get a message on phone startup) and can't connect it to the cell network with my SIM card.

Is there anyway to restore the IMEI number back into the phone, so that I can get it to register properly again? Also, then unlock it?

Thanks,

GrippingSphere

Aug 19, 2012
Sydney
Hi,

I bought a Galaxy S i9000 from someone for cheap because they said it didn't work. Anyways, after getting into ODIN on it and flashing a custom rom, I got it to boot. Problem now is, I think the IMEI number on the phone is screwed up (I get a message on phone startup) and can't connect it to the cell network with my SIM card.

Is there anyway to restore the IMEI number back into the phone, so that I can get it to register properly again? Also, then unlock it?

Thanks,

My IMEI got invalid too a few months ago when i flashed a custom CM10 JB Rom.
I got my IMEI back when I flashed back to GB via Odin.
Custom Rom developers advise flashing a CM9 ICS first before a Custom JB to avoid an invalid IMEI.
That's what i did, I got my IMEI back and currently using a custom JB Rom.

To unlock your phone, try to search in General Forum, there are some threads that discusses how to do it.

InkZ

Jul 24, 2009
Yup, had the same thing with an upgrade. It's like the ROM upgrades but the IMEI bits don't.

You need to downgrade to get your IMEI back. Once you have it back DO A NANDROID!!

Then you can try to upgrade again.

creative0100

Nov 17, 2010
It usually happens when you skip a version of android.. eg froyo to JB.

Just downgrade via Odin to stock firmware and upgrade each version in order.

Simple as that.

sent using my fat fingers from the robot eating the apple...

colhavoc

Apr 23, 2010
Nova Scotia
Well, restored to 2.3.6 and worked fine. I then installed CM 7.1 (Worked) then went to CM7.2 (Worked) and when I went to CM 9.0, it then stopped. No message about invalid IMEI or anything, just no bars.

Not sure, reverting back to CM7.2 for now.

VIP1

Sep 9, 2012
You can try doing this process again but now backup your /efs library with Nitrality or some other /efs backup app.... make another copy of the backup in your pc and just restore it when needed...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

albertocastillo2001

Jul 20, 2012
Before trying to flash, get into recovery and format these partitions:

/datadata
/data
/cache

and delete dalvik cache as well

Reboot phone and let's see if it starts up this time.

Last edited:

colhavoc

Apr 23, 2010
Nova Scotia
You can try doing this process again but now backup your /efs library with Nitrality or some other /efs backup app.... make another copy of the backup in your pc and just restore it when needed...

Sent from my GT-I9000 using xda app-developers app

Hi,

Tried this. I restored back to factory default image, worked.
Upgraded to CM 7.1, worked
Upgraded to CM7.2 Worked. Used Nitrality to backup /efs folder
Upgraded to CM 9.0, did not work. Restored /efs from backup. Did not work. Reboot, did not work.

So, for now it's back to CM7.2. I gave it to a friend to test out, if it works then he will be keeping it for a while and i'll try something else to upgrade it when he wants to. Thanks again for the help, seems it wants to be stubborn.