IMEI number=0 in OS but correct in bootloader.

Search This thread
Nov 29, 2021
Moto G7 Plus
I have been struggling with this issue for the past few days now. My phone is showing no IMEI and no service. When I check the IMEI through the dialer, (*#06#) it shows that all the numbers related to that particular output as being zeros. However when I do a fastboot command (getvar all) the output shows that I have the correct IMEI number in the bootloader. I also noticed that the meid number is blank, I'm not sure if one has to do with the other but I have not been able to receive cell service since the issue of the IMEI number gone missing. I have spoken directly to Motorola and as my bootloader is unlocked they told me that my bootloader unlocking is what wiped out my IMEI number, as I know this to be wildly untrue and only used as an excuse to not have to deal with me or my problem, they then pushed me off on the Lenovo community forums. There I discussed the same problem and wouldn't you know it the only people that answered or Motorola employees. Which of course they said "send it in". Of course that's only because they didn't know that Motorola had already told me that they cannot fix it. There's an issue with the writing of the software version of the IMEI and I'm not certain as to the source of this issue. Considering no one will openly discuss much about IMEI numbers I've been getting absolutely zero help, with only a few suggestions of sending it to somebody else. I have worked on my own devices for the past 20 years and have only rarely sent in any electronic device to be repaired by the factory or manufacturer. This all happened when I restored a backup that apparently had corrupted files in it this was done through TWRP for both back up and restore. I have even asked, after becoming frustrated with the broken record repeating the same answer over and over, that I would willingly send my device in if someone could just tell me what it is that Motorola is going to do that I simply cannot. I couldn't even get an answer for that. This has become very frustrating and I am running out of places to ask this question. Everyone I have spoken to all agree with me that this is the premier source for developers and being able to connect with experts, I can only hope that my question is answerable. If anyone knows how to remedy this situation aside from paying Motorola to use their secret Harry Potter wand I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you for your time and patience,

I have attached two pictures the first one is of the bootloaders barcode screen, the second is using the *#06# dialer code.

Noobie T.

Attachments

• bootloader barcodes.png
    bootloader barcodes.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
  • dialer code output.png
    dialer code output.png
    805.1 KB · Views: 37
Reactions: ChaoticCapriquarius
Nov 29, 2021
Moto G7 Plus
I have solved it. It was just a matter of finding the correct combination of both fresh flashing a ROM and restoring of certain partitions back to the freshly flashed ROM. As it turns out the partitions that were the problem seems to be the EFS partitions as well as the persist partition. Wednesday I found a non-corrupted copy of a backup I was able to flash the ROM that was installed on the device at the time of the backup, after which I was able to restore just those partitions. After that once I rebooted my IMEI number showed up in the dialer code output. However, I would like to keep this thread open as the baseband, when shown in the fast boot screen, still seems to be <not found>. As well as does the ro.build.version.full , and the fpr-state variable says "no protection (77)". As this is a custom ROM and I am still relatively new I am not sure if this is because of the wrong itself or because of the issues that I had. I will keep a close eye on this and post updates.

Nov 29, 2021
Moto G7 Plus
So update, trying to install magic last night, after flashing TWRP, my network connectivity dropped again. Well trying to restore my phone with the RSA I came across a post that had a zip file containing batch files that turned the XML files in the ROM zip that's downloaded by the RSA into batch files that can be run from the command line. I had to make some adjustments to the files but was able to use the batch file to fully restore the phone back to factory settings and got back network activity. I had only adjusted the resulting batch files that are used to flash all the partitions for my phone not the original batch files used to create those batch files from the XML files. I will adjust the original batch files and post a link to them.

Reactions: ChaoticCapriquarius

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have been struggling with this issue for the past few days now. My phone is showing no IMEI and no service. When I check the IMEI through the dialer, (*#06#) it shows that all the numbers related to that particular output as being zeros. However when I do a fastboot command (getvar all) the output shows that I have the correct IMEI number in the bootloader. I also noticed that the meid number is blank, I'm not sure if one has to do with the other but I have not been able to receive cell service since the issue of the IMEI number gone missing. I have spoken directly to Motorola and as my bootloader is unlocked they told me that my bootloader unlocking is what wiped out my IMEI number, as I know this to be wildly untrue and only used as an excuse to not have to deal with me or my problem, they then pushed me off on the Lenovo community forums. There I discussed the same problem and wouldn't you know it the only people that answered or Motorola employees. Which of course they said "send it in". Of course that's only because they didn't know that Motorola had already told me that they cannot fix it. There's an issue with the writing of the software version of the IMEI and I'm not certain as to the source of this issue. Considering no one will openly discuss much about IMEI numbers I've been getting absolutely zero help, with only a few suggestions of sending it to somebody else. I have worked on my own devices for the past 20 years and have only rarely sent in any electronic device to be repaired by the factory or manufacturer. This all happened when I restored a backup that apparently had corrupted files in it this was done through TWRP for both back up and restore. I have even asked, after becoming frustrated with the broken record repeating the same answer over and over, that I would willingly send my device in if someone could just tell me what it is that Motorola is going to do that I simply cannot. I couldn't even get an answer for that. This has become very frustrating and I am running out of places to ask this question. Everyone I have spoken to all agree with me that this is the premier source for developers and being able to connect with experts, I can only hope that my question is answerable. If anyone knows how to remedy this situation aside from paying Motorola to use their secret Harry Potter wand I would greatly appreciate your help. Thank you for your time and patience,

I have attached two pictures the first one is of the bootloaders barcode screen, the second is using the *#06# dialer code.

Noobie T.
    So update, trying to install magic last night, after flashing TWRP, my network connectivity dropped again. Well trying to restore my phone with the RSA I came across a post that had a zip file containing batch files that turned the XML files in the ROM zip that's downloaded by the RSA into batch files that can be run from the command line. I had to make some adjustments to the files but was able to use the batch file to fully restore the phone back to factory settings and got back network activity. I had only adjusted the resulting batch files that are used to flash all the partitions for my phone not the original batch files used to create those batch files from the XML files. I will adjust the original batch files and post a link to them.