[IMG] n2T-Recovery - Nook Simple Touch - Factory Restore / Recovery [v:0.2 17.11.11]

Search This thread

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
touch formatter v1 ought to work on an nstg.

it just increments the failed boot count past 8, as I remember.

you can do the same thing yourself by powering on and powering off successfully in mid-boot. Do that 8 or so times and eventually the nook will offer to do a full reset.

I don't remember for sure what the difference is, but the other thing is power on, then quickly press and hold in the lower left and lower right hardware buttons -- this will trigger a device wipe as well.

On the Nook color, the 8 failed boot wipe and the button-driven wipe did two slightly different things. I am not sure what those things were any longer, but the recommendation was to do both.

ros87

Oct 12, 2010
Bodø
OP updated with working download links.

Keep in mind that this project is no longer maintained.

WeededSquash

Sep 12, 2008
HELP!!! Stuck at Installing

So, a while back I rooted my NST, but I am looking to sell it (not that I will get that much for it, but money is money) and I wanted to set it back to stock.

I rebooted it the 6 or 8 times that it required to get it to do a factory reset, but when I got back in there, I could still get to the ADW Launcher. After a short while, it went to an "Installing..." screen which it is stuck at!

I have tried everything I could find:

- Holding the power button to restart
- Holding power and bottom page buttons
- Holding just the bottom page buttons
- Charging and repeating the above
- Removing the battery and repeating the above with and without the charger and/or battery attached

It seems like most methods of restoring require the device can turn on or off, so I can't figure out what to do next!!!

Please HELP!!!

cherylbaker

Jan 21, 2006
Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra
[DISCLAIMER] Images are provideded "as is", use at your own risk!

[NOTE] This project is no longer maintained!

Quite a few people seem to end up in non-bootable-states (myself included) when trying to root/app/tweak etc..
So I made a couple of images that will help you trigger Factory Restore on your Nook Simple Touch.

Compability:
Nook Simple Touch - [1.0.0], [1.0.1], [1.1.0]

Requirements:
- A microSD card of atleast 128MB of size (existing data will be lost)
- Make sure your NST is charged! A failed root will drain your NST quickly without you noticing it!

Tools:
- Windows: win32 Disk Imager
- Linux: d'uh .. dd
- Mac: diskutil and dd

Still unsure about tools?, look here

Versions: (You only need one of these depending on how messed up your NST is. Try 0.1 first!)
- Version 0.1 [Without boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.1.rar (2MB)
- Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB)

Usage:
- Uncompress the image
- Write the image to your mSD card with one of the tools listed above.
- Power up your Nook Touch with the mSD card inserted.
- Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to the version your NST was originally shipped with* when it's finished.

If it doesn't, please share your "detailed" story in this thread and feel free to PM me, I've restored quite a few "hopeless" cases :)

[*] Factory Restore doesn't wipe your /data

Update:
26.11.2012 - Added new download links
28.01.2012 - Moved files to new server

Changelog:
[0.1]
- Initial release

[0.2]
- Rewrites boot partition before triggering Factory Restore

Credits:
- Based on Nook Simple Touch 1.0.0 boot partition
- Made possible by Noogie image by nookDevs

ok so I follwed these instructions using part 1. The nook now boots up but after unlocking it asks you to use adw or home. so it is not in the state it was when I bought it.. not sure what state it is in.. what would you recommend now?

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
Sorry to bump this, but this is regarding the difference between Factory Restore and Factory Reset (bottom left-right button trick).

If i rooted my Nook Simple Touch and installed lots of apps, but then wanted to revert it back to a normal stock NookST without all the apps, would a Factory Reset delete all the apps, launchers etc? Or will leave all the apk's/settings files/etc where they are while changing the cosmetics to look like an unrooted Nook, i.e, original home screen, no launchers etc?

Do i have to do a Factory Restore if i want to wipe apps, launchers etc, especially ones like GMail so usernames/passwords get deleted also? Or will a Factory Reset (holding bottom left/right buttons) be enough?

Last edited:

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
Sorry to bump this, but this is regarding the difference between Factory Restore and Factory Reset (bottom left-right button trick).

If i rooted my Nook Simple Touch and installed lots of apps, but then wanted to revert it back to a normal stock NookST without all the apps, would a Factory Reset delete all the apps, launchers etc? Or will leave all the apk's/settings files/etc where they are while changing the cosmetics to look like an unrooted Nook, i.e, original home screen, no launchers etc?

Do i have to do a Factory Restore if i want to wipe apps, launchers etc, especially ones like GMail so usernames/passwords get deleted also? Or will a Factory Reset (holding bottom left/right buttons) be enough?

Factory reset deletes owner registration and user media content, leaving intact user-installed apps in the /system and /data partitions. Factory restore re-images the Nook using the factory backup copy of stock ROM and returns the device to "factory fresh" state.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using XDA Premium HD app

Reactions: Xadious

remussm

Jul 31, 2008
Hello
After an attempt to return to factory settings always reach the nook where registration gives me an error. How I can rewrite software initially mention that I tried with two images of recovery, but get the same result. Thank you for your answers.

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hello
After an attempt to return to factory settings always reach the nook where registration gives me an error. How I can rewrite software initially mention that I tried with two images of recovery, but get the same result. Thank you for your answers.

Are you outside the US?

Non-US versions will not be able to complete registration. There is a thread on this forum which links to instructions for flashing the US version of the OS.

jaketheawe

May 21, 2017
help my nook is bricked

my nookis bricked helpl!!! i tryed to root my nook st but it now will load say read forever and then when it says nook and the 5 circles it will reset when it gets to the3 circle help!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying::(:confused:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [DISCLAIMER] Images are provideded "as is", use at your own risk!

[NOTE] This project is no longer maintained!

Quite a few people seem to end up in non-bootable-states (myself included) when trying to root/app/tweak etc..
    So I made a couple of images that will help you trigger Factory Restore on your Nook Simple Touch.

Compability:
    Nook Simple Touch - [1.0.0], [1.0.1], [1.1.0]

Requirements:
    - A microSD card of atleast 128MB of size (existing data will be lost)
    - Make sure your NST is charged! A failed root will drain your NST quickly without you noticing it!

Tools:
    - Windows: win32 Disk Imager
    - Linux: d'uh .. dd
    - Mac: diskutil and dd

Still unsure about tools?, look here

Versions: (You only need one of these depending on how messed up your NST is. Try 0.1 first!)
    - Version 0.1 [Without boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.1.rar (2MB)
    - Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB)

Usage:
    - Uncompress the image
    - Write the image to your mSD card with one of the tools listed above.
    - Power up your Nook Touch with the mSD card inserted.
    - Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to the version your NST was originally shipped with* when it's finished.

If it doesn't, please share your "detailed" story in this thread and feel free to PM me, I've restored quite a few "hopeless" cases :)

[*] Factory Restore doesn't wipe your /data

Update:
    26.11.2012 - Added new download links
    28.01.2012 - Moved files to new server

Changelog:
    [0.1]
    - Initial release

[0.2]
    - Rewrites boot partition before triggering Factory Restore

Credits:
    - Based on Nook Simple Touch 1.0.0 boot partition
    - Made possible by Noogie image by nookDevs
    Scary!

But good solution when everything else fails. Thanks!

Nothing scary about it, it only writes to a single file on your N2 to trick it into believing there has been 8 missed boot attempts. :)
    That is good to know, because timed things on smartphone and the like is a usual way to messy results. Try putting an iphone in DFU mode in order to jailbreak it...

Ah I see your point, but there's really no timing involved with this process.
    Cleaned up the instructions a little, thank you.
    Answers -
    1. By "hanging" I meant it's stuck on the last little bit of writing the restore img - never quite finishes.

Ok, so the factory restore got triggered but didn't complete, wonder why.
    Did you try to trigger restore again?

I'm gonna look into adding more advanced recovery options to the tool.

2. Just go to BN site and you can download "update.zip 1.01" for the Touch - it gets applied by placing on the root of the internal memory and booting up

Yes I know, but you said you wrote it to sdcard with winimage, which didn't make any sense :)