[IMG] n2T-Recovery - Nook Simple Touch - Factory Restore / Recovery [v:0.2 17.11.11]

Search This thread

digixmax

Jan 17, 2011
my nookis bricked helpl!!! i tryed to root my nook st but it now will load say read forever and then when it says nook and the 5 circles it will reset when it gets to the3 circle help!!!!!!!!!!!!!:crying::(:confused:
You can try to initiate a factory reset by using:

- the "8 failed boots" method (with the Nook in the power-off state, power it on, then as soon as the boot screen appears hold down the power button until it powers off (you do not need to hold the U button), do this 8 times, and the Nook should go into stock recovery to revert to factory-fresh state)

- the Nook Manager (see https://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2040351 for more details).

Last edited:

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hi! Are those files still available somewhere? The links here won't help.. Thank You!

Unless your Nook is totally trashed, you should be able to use the Factory restore option of Nook Manager. Failing that, you might be able to use the files for reimaging the Nook as either US or UK: https://sites.google.com/site/xcdguides/nook/nookregion

But....if you're bound and determined to use the n2T-Recovery, there is this: http://peak.biosfarm.ro/~yo4tnv/NOOK/RECOVERY/

I downloaded the first file and took a look at the archive. It looks to be legitimate. Still, caveat emptor, etc.

Reactions: SekuZo

plambohun

Apr 8, 2014
Hi!
Thank You!
Somehow, after like a million attemp, must have had loaded the nookmanager's restore option( i've no idea how), because at some point i had got my nook back running a Factory sw :)
So all is well when end's well :)
Thanks again for your help!
P

toonking

Feb 5, 2019
Nook simple touch glow 1.2.0 bricked

Hi,
I have rooted my NOOK few years ago. Worked perfect. Suddenly few weeks ago ,when i tried to read got Error on screen. I cannot boot the NOOK since than. I think It bricked. How can i restore it to factory settings?
Thanks

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
Hi,
I have rooted my NOOK few years ago. Worked perfect. Suddenly few weeks ago ,when i tried to read got Error on screen. I cannot boot the NOOK since than. I think It bricked. How can i restore it to factory settings?
Thanks
If you used NookManager to root you can always try the factory restore option from there. Or, power down, then power up and as soon as you see the opening screen hold down the two bottom hardware buttons until you see the prompt.

finnpalm

Oct 9, 2018
I'm trying to restore a Simple Touch (model BNRV300, software version 1.2.1) that has previously been rooted and I'm at a point where I can start it up, get into the setup process (choose language, connect to wifi and so on) but once it gets to the "registering your device" stage there's an error and I'm told to turn it off and start over, but at some times instead I am given the option to reset it. It seems like something's been messed up. Am I sool or can I save it with the n2T-files? Any other method?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I'm trying to restore a Simple Touch (model BNRV300, software version 1.2.1) that has previously been rooted and I'm at a point where I can start it up, get into the setup process (choose language, connect to wifi and so on) but once it gets to the "registering your device" stage there's an error and I'm told to turn it off and start over, but at some times instead I am given the option to reset it. It seems like something's been messed up. Am I sool or can I save it with the n2T-files? Any other method?
Did you try a factory reset? To do that, power down, then power up again but hold down both lower hardware buttons as soon as the start up screen is displayed. Wait for the prompt.

If that does not work...

finnpalm

Oct 9, 2018
Did you try a factory reset? To do that, power down, then power up again but hold down both lower hardware buttons as soon as the start up screen is displayed. Wait for the prompt.

If that does not work...

I actually found some link where a support rep from b&n explained how to disable the registration requirement. However that didn't quite cut it so after some digging I managed to locate a copy of the second repair file from the op and repaired the device. Now I just need to decide which method I should use to reroot it. :D

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
I actually found some link where a support rep from b&n explained how to disable the registration requirement. However that didn't quite cut it so after some digging I managed to locate a copy of the second repair file from the op and repaired the device. Now I just need to decide which method I should use to reroot it. :D
NookManager (updated) is a good place to start. You might want to update the firmware to 1.2.2 before rooting, though.

Xadious

Mar 20, 2012
Can you post the information they gave on how to disable the Nook registration? Being that the Nook UK site was taken down i imagine if i hard reset my Nook i'll probably be unable to use it as i'll get stuck on the page requiring login/registration.

finnpalm

Oct 9, 2018
Can you post the information they gave on how to disable the Nook registration? Being that the Nook UK site was taken down i imagine if i hard reset my Nook i'll probably be unable to use it as i'll get stuck on the page requiring login/registration.

Absolutely friend. This was posted by "susanlion" at the nobooko.com forum:

"Hi, I had to reset my Nook and of course it wouldn't let me re-register :mad: I emailed B&N and got this reply and it works, I can now get into my Nook to sideload books. Not perfect I know but it is better than having nothing but an expensive paperweight lol.
This is the reply.
#####
Thank you for contacting us.
We understand that you're unable to register your NOOK Simple Touch. We truly apologize for the trouble this has caused you.
Please be informed that due to the changes to NOOK UK services, the ability to register any existing or new NOOK Account is no longer possible. However, you may still use your NOOK Simple Touch for side-loaded contents.
Please follow the steps below on how to bypass the registration process on your NOOK Simple Touch:
1. Turn on your NOOK.
2. At the welcome screen hold down the button on the top right (page turn button) and at the same time slide your finger across the top of the screen from left to right.
3. You should now see a Factory link on the top left of the screen, press this link.
4. On the factory screen hold down the same button (top right) and at the same time tap the bottom right of the screen.
5. You should now see a Skip Oobe link on the bottom right, press this link.
6. You will now be able to use the Nook Simple Touch without registration.
Once again, thank you for your email.

I hope this will help someone else with their Nook :)"

So.. this solution worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Best regards

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
You may experience poor battery life if you bypass registration. For an alternative approach see https://xdaforums.com/nook-touch/development/nst-g-updating-nookmanager-t3873048 and look at the note near the beginning for those with non-US firmware.

Dancorp

Aug 26, 2007
:)
Absolutely friend. This was posted by "susanlion" at the nobooko.com forum:

"Hi, I had to reset my Nook and of course it wouldn't let me re-register :mad: I emailed B&N and got this reply and it works, I can now get into my Nook to sideload books. Not perfect I know but it is better than having nothing but an expensive paperweight lol.
This is the reply.
#####
Thank you for contacting us.
We understand that you're unable to register your NOOK Simple Touch. We truly apologize for the trouble this has caused you.
Please be informed that due to the changes to NOOK UK services, the ability to register any existing or new NOOK Account is no longer possible. However, you may still use your NOOK Simple Touch for side-loaded contents.
Please follow the steps below on how to bypass the registration process on your NOOK Simple Touch:
1. Turn on your NOOK.
2. At the welcome screen hold down the button on the top right (page turn button) and at the same time slide your finger across the top of the screen from left to right.
3. You should now see a Factory link on the top left of the screen, press this link.
4. On the factory screen hold down the same button (top right) and at the same time tap the bottom right of the screen.
5. You should now see a Skip Oobe link on the bottom right, press this link.
6. You will now be able to use the Nook Simple Touch without registration.
Once again, thank you for your email.

I hope this will help someone else with their Nook :)"

So.. this solution worked for me. I hope it works for you too.

Best regards

Thanks a lot for your help. I was blocked with the wifi Issue after a factory reset !
U mnde my day !

Coffee&Chai

Sep 27, 2019
cant get past the starting up screen

Hi guys, I have been having the hardest time to get my nook simple touch to work again. I have tried every single method on here for the past few days including custom roms, and I think my actual factory restore is messed up. I cannot get back to the register screen and the nook stops at the "read forever screen, your nook is starting up" here are the things i tried:

the farthest I get passed with Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB):
  • i see the android icon saying "wait 2 minutes to rewrite boot partition, then reboot"
  • i remove the sd card and reboot
  • i see the "restoring original factory image" screen and progress bar
  • after its done i get hung at the "read forever your nook is starting up" screen and wont go beyond

the farthest I get passed with Alpha-FormatTouch-2:
  • i mount sd_128mb_clockwork-rc2 to a sd card
  • i put in Alpha-FormatTouch-2.zip into the root
  • clockwork loads up and install the zip from the sd card
  • after it installs i remove the sd card and reboot
  • the nook read forever screen shows, then a clearing data screen
  • then i get stuck at the nook read forever screen.

What do you guys think? is my nook beyond fixing?

nmyshkin

Recognized Contributor
Nov 21, 2013
What do you guys think? is my nook beyond fixing?
Maybe. If at some time in the past you replaced the factory image with something else (like a CWM recovery, as some of the custom ROMs may do) then you may be SOL. It's really hard to damage that factory image unless you intentionally go after it.

Here's something you didn't try: make a NookManager card and use it to trigger a factory re-image (that's under the "Rescue" section). If that fails, then the next step is to get a complete backup of the device because your only other recourse might be to take a generic backup and apply it to your device. Theoretically you could then extract the /rom portion from your backup and write it to your generic restore to give you the correct serial number and MAC address again. All a lot of detailed work and not someplace to go lightly, so try the NookManager idea first.

Are you outside the US?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    [DISCLAIMER] Images are provideded "as is", use at your own risk!

[NOTE] This project is no longer maintained!

Quite a few people seem to end up in non-bootable-states (myself included) when trying to root/app/tweak etc..
    So I made a couple of images that will help you trigger Factory Restore on your Nook Simple Touch.

Compability:
    Nook Simple Touch - [1.0.0], [1.0.1], [1.1.0]

Requirements:
    - A microSD card of atleast 128MB of size (existing data will be lost)
    - Make sure your NST is charged! A failed root will drain your NST quickly without you noticing it!

Tools:
    - Windows: win32 Disk Imager
    - Linux: d'uh .. dd
    - Mac: diskutil and dd

Still unsure about tools?, look here

Versions: (You only need one of these depending on how messed up your NST is. Try 0.1 first!)
    - Version 0.1 [Without boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.1.rar (2MB)
    - Version 0.2 [With boot partition restoration] n2T-Recovery_0.2.rar (16MB)

Usage:
    - Uncompress the image
    - Write the image to your mSD card with one of the tools listed above.
    - Power up your Nook Touch with the mSD card inserted.
    - Follow the instructions displayed on the screen.

If all went well you should see the factory restore screen popping up in 10-20 seconds after reboot, and you'll be back to the version your NST was originally shipped with* when it's finished.

If it doesn't, please share your "detailed" story in this thread and feel free to PM me, I've restored quite a few "hopeless" cases :)

[*] Factory Restore doesn't wipe your /data

Update:
    26.11.2012 - Added new download links
    28.01.2012 - Moved files to new server

Changelog:
    [0.1]
    - Initial release

[0.2]
    - Rewrites boot partition before triggering Factory Restore

Credits:
    - Based on Nook Simple Touch 1.0.0 boot partition
    - Made possible by Noogie image by nookDevs
    Scary!

But good solution when everything else fails. Thanks!

Nothing scary about it, it only writes to a single file on your N2 to trick it into believing there has been 8 missed boot attempts. :)
    That is good to know, because timed things on smartphone and the like is a usual way to messy results. Try putting an iphone in DFU mode in order to jailbreak it...

Ah I see your point, but there's really no timing involved with this process.
    Cleaned up the instructions a little, thank you.
    Answers -
    1. By "hanging" I meant it's stuck on the last little bit of writing the restore img - never quite finishes.

Ok, so the factory restore got triggered but didn't complete, wonder why.
    Did you try to trigger restore again?

I'm gonna look into adding more advanced recovery options to the tool.

2. Just go to BN site and you can download "update.zip 1.01" for the Touch - it gets applied by placing on the root of the internal memory and booting up

Yes I know, but you said you wrote it to sdcard with winimage, which didn't make any sense :)