Immersive mode with ADB Shell comands (hide status bar) (No Root)

Search This thread

redline06

Nov 18, 2011
Tampa, FL
Just in case any of you don't like the fixed status bar you can still hide it with the old shell commands, to bring it back for a few seconds just swipe down from the top.
I did on my S8+ and just tried on the Note 8 and it works fine. No Root needed

Follow this write up, there's an even more in depth write up with in this one I'm posting the link for.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...re-screen-real-estate-no-root-needed-0177297/

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170907-163700.jpg
    Screenshot_20170907-163700.jpg
    264.2 KB · Views: 4,585

rawintellect

Oct 12, 2008
Purgatory
I remember this! I'm glad something still works! Thanks for the heads up. Here's my homescreen.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170909-151611.jpg
    Screenshot_20170909-151611.jpg
    253.2 KB · Views: 3,567

jedras95

Apr 14, 2014
Is there a way to permanently disable navigation bar and use swipe gestures instead? (I don't mean hide the navbar, because it appears when you try to use swipe gestures). I love the immersive mode but constant need to bring the bar back is pretty annoying. I would greatly appreciate if anyone would suggest a way!

FrenzyGr

Mar 13, 2012
Athens
If you dont want to go through all this you can use Nova launcer and just choose the option to hide the status bar, it will only appear if you swipe down from the top

Mr.Ash.Man

Aug 5, 2017
✪ Developer & Themer
If you dont want to go through all this you can use Nova launcer and just choose the option to hide the status bar, it will only appear if you swipe down from the top

This is for immersive mode system wide, you will not see the status bar in all apps too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I LOVE immersive mode but doing it this way is too buggy for me to enjoy :(
Causes lag dragging the notification bar down and also bugs out in lots of apps (facebook/whatsapp/MEGA) etc

matteosaeed

I have a better idea:
download the "Tiles" app from the play store, it has immersive mode option to be turned on and off from the notification panel, added as a tile. run this adb command "adb shell pm grant com.rascarlo.quick.settings.tiles android.permission.WRITE_SECURE_SETTINGS" then you can set it to ask you to turn off everything or different component. You can still swipe up. Also, you can only turn off status bar. etc.
Also, I am personally using the PIE controls app form the play store instead of the gestures since I am unrooted. Works well.

Just in case any of you don't like the fixed status bar you can still hide it with the old shell commands, to bring it back for a few seconds just swipe down from the top.

Follow this write up, there's an even more in depth write up with in this one I'm posting the link for.

https://android.gadgethacks.com/how...re-screen-real-estate-no-root-needed-0177297/

I remember this! I'm glad something still works! Thanks for the heads up. Here's my homescreen.

Is there a way to permanently disable navigation bar and use swipe gestures instead? (I don't mean hide the navbar, because it appears when you try to use swipe gestures). I love the immersive mode but constant need to bring the bar back is pretty annoying. I would greatly appreciate if anyone would suggest a way!

This is for immersive mode system wide, you will not see the status bar in all apps too.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Causes lag dragging the notification bar down and also bugs out in lots of apps (facebook/whatsapp/MEGA) etc

BriniaSona

Jan 28, 2011
Is there a way to get a gesture that let's me swipe up to go to home from and screen?. Like webos, Nokia and blackberry 10 had?

chuman72486

Oct 12, 2011
I'm trying to find the opposite option. I have a few apps that use immersive mode, but can't use the full screen, leaving annoying black bars. Is there a way to disable immersive mode for these apps so I can keep the navbar and status bar visible?

jerrycycle

Aug 20, 2009
I'm trying to find the opposite option. I have a few apps that use immersive mode, but can't use the full screen, leaving annoying black bars. Is there a way to disable immersive mode for these apps so I can keep the navbar and status bar visible?

The app SystemUI Tuner by Zachary Wander, has Immersive Mode. In that category for it you can blacklist app to not use Immersive Mode.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Is this a disabled nav bar? That's what I want! Lol
    Yes that is. If you swipe up it will appear otherwise it doesn't show.