Question Impact MFD on battery and heat

Search This thread

McHoffi

Hello, I got a Zenfone 8 from Amazon Warehouse with MFD 4-21. Just after receiving i read about the Ramdump issues with 4-21 and 5-21 MFD, so far nothing happened to my phone. My problem is just the bad battery life and heating issues. I optimized bluetooth (do not know if I disabled optimisation for it), with this I got a little more battery and heating in pocket got less.

Also I flashed Kirisakura Kernel with the hope of getting enough battery life out of the phone to last through the day. Compared to my previous phone (Unihertz Atom XL) I have got much worse battery life. The old phone got about 4300 mah and a smaller screen, but it was in no way optimized and still had about 50% on the end of the day. With the Zenfone on the other hand I get from the morning 06:00 (90 % charge limit) to about 14:00 and would have to recharge. Usage is the same (Health app which is activated every 5 min and needs BT, some news-browsing)

I am now thinking about sending the phone back and switching to a refurbished Pixel 5 (which schould have better battery) or get a brand new Zenfone 8. I like the look and feel of the phone very much, but I do not want to have to charge throughout the day.

If the thermal and battery problem would be from that, that the phone is manufactured in April 2021 I would rather order a brand new Zenfone 8 (in the hope in getting really a new one with MFD end 2021).

What are your thoughts on this?

francescod

Jun 13, 2010
Italy
Hello, I got a Zenfone 8 from Amazon Warehouse with MFD 4-21. Just after receiving i read about the Ramdump issues with 4-21 and 5-21 MFD, so far nothing happened to my phone. My problem is just the bad battery life and heating issues. I optimized bluetooth (do not know if I disabled optimisation for it), with this I got a little more battery and heating in pocket got less.

Also I flashed Kirisakura Kernel with the hope of getting enough battery life out of the phone to last through the day. Compared to my previous phone (Unihertz Atom XL) I have got much worse battery life. The old phone got about 4300 mah and a smaller screen, but it was in no way optimized and still had about 50% on the end of the day. With the Zenfone on the other hand I get from the morning 06:00 (90 % charge limit) to about 14:00 and would have to recharge. Usage is the same (Health app which is activated every 5 min and needs BT, some news-browsing)

I am now thinking about sending the phone back and switching to a refurbished Pixel 5 (which schould have better battery) or get a brand new Zenfone 8. I like the look and feel of the phone very much, but I do not want to have to charge throughout the day.

If the thermal and battery problem would be from that, that the phone is manufactured in April 2021 I would rather order a brand new Zenfone 8 (in the hope in getting really a new one with MFD end 2021).

Hello, with hot environmental temps, phone heats up easily and that's normal if you're running stock Soc values/bloated OS.
The only way to reduce that, is to install a vanilla rom like Los 19.1 or AEX/Omni (at worst with microG or smallest gApps) and limit a bit the max frequencies for both Cpu and Gpu.
No miracles at all but really acceptable :)

Reactions: McHoffi

McHoffi

Hello, with hot environmental temps, phone heats up easily and that's normal if you're running stock Soc values/bloated OS.
The only way to reduce that, is to install a vanilla rom like Los 19.1 or AEX/Omni (at worst with microG or smallest gApps) and limit a bit the max frequencies for both Cpu and Gpu.
Thank you for your answer!

Until now I did not have phones which get hot (rather warm) during normal use, also not during summer. Under heavy games this is normal for sure, and expectable.

Are there any disadvantages in using one of the custom roms? I had lineageos on older phones (Galaxy S5 and Oneplus 6t), with the Oneplus there were some problems and I did not see any advantage in using it. Is everything running smooth and working? If not what function is affected by which rom?

I read in another thread that someone managed to get over 8 hours SOT with LOS, this would be nice if there is no disadvantage in functionality and usage.

So you would not recommend to replace the "old" Zenfone with a new one with newer MFD?

I find it a pitty that such a nice phone has those problems, this is why I thought about switching to a Pixel 5 (size, camera, battery and (community) support).

francescod

Jun 13, 2010
Italy

Until now I did not have phones which get hot (rather warm) during normal use, also not during summer. Under heavy games this is normal for sure, and expectable.

Are there any disadvantages in using one of the custom roms? I had lineageos on older phones (Galaxy S5 and Oneplus 6t), with the Oneplus there were some problems and I did not see any advantage in using it. Is everything running smooth and working? If not what function is affected by which rom?

I read in another thread that someone managed to get over 8 hours SOT with LOS, this would be nice if there is no disadvantage in functionality and usage.

So you would not recommend to replace the "old" Zenfone with a new one with newer MFD?

I find it a pitty that such a nice phone has those problems, this is why I thought about switching to a Pixel 5 (size, camera, battery and (community) support).
The main reason for the heat issue is the bad built 888, and in our compact dimensions can only be worse than expected.
If you can go vanilla, that's for sure the best option in consumption/temp terms, otherwise even microG or at worse with smallest gApps you'll be in a better situation than stock, still tweaking freqs as I said above by default ;).
Bugs might be on NFC payments department, shouldn't there be in any other side, considering these A12 roms are on "first weeks of global tests".
On Los you loose Asus Camera and Dialer as their best apps, but you can go with gCam though with pretty results.
Omni/AEX should also have FM radio if you're interested in and Asus camera.
Since you're already rooted, it's just a matter of a Format to go with any rom, and an eventually second Format to go back easily with the Asus A12 RAW file.

I was forgetting....only a newer device than, let's say November 2021, might give you a real "ramdump proof" device, but heat remains the same, unless they also modified heat dissipation that's most unlikely to happen.

Last edited:
Reactions: McHoffi

McHoffi

I installed MicroG, this helped with battery life, but brought also disadvantages (calendar, contacts). I also got a Pixel 5 to test, and am until now more for the P5. The battery lasts me a full day and this without taking the disadvantages in usability on me. With MicroG the battery life still was not as I would like it to be.

I liked the ROM of Asus, especially because of the battery options and modes, also the options for Dual Band Wifi and Hyperfusion (Wifi + Data).

I am thankful for your recommendations. But I am tending to stay with the Pixel where I do not need to do so much to the software to work for me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

The main reason for the heat issue is the bad built 888, and in our compact dimensions can only be worse than expected.
    If you can go vanilla, that's for sure the best option in consumption/temp terms, otherwise even microG or at worse with smallest gApps you'll be in a better situation than stock, still tweaking freqs as I said above by default ;).
    Bugs might be on NFC payments department, shouldn't there be in any other side, considering these A12 roms are on "first weeks of global tests".
    On Los you loose Asus Camera and Dialer as their best apps, but you can go with gCam though with pretty results.
    Omni/AEX should also have FM radio if you're interested in and Asus camera.
    Since you're already rooted, it's just a matter of a Format to go with any rom, and an eventually second Format to go back easily with the Asus A12 RAW file.

I was forgetting....only a newer device than, let's say November 2021, might give you a real "ramdump proof" device, but heat remains the same, unless they also modified heat dissipation that's most unlikely to happen.