Impact of Large Amounts of SMS Messages on Phone? Management?

Search This thread

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
Hi all, I am wondering if having a large amount of SMS will slow down phone and how one would go about managing message amount yearly? I ask this as I am about to a move to a Note 10+ from a Note 9 with 68000k messages. I know that's a lot. How can one periodically backup old messages and have the ability to view them on another device (PC or not). Almost like if I remember texting someone from a long time ago, and want to look them up, I can go to this app and find it.

I have to believe 68K stored messages might makes things low, even though it doesn't take much storage space no?

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Not sure why anyone would text so much but in your old age it will be quit an accomplishment.
    Sex and drugs are more memorable though🤣

You can have up to a 1 tb SD card so have no fear about preserving your legacy.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
    Not sure why anyone would text so much but in your old age it will be quit an accomplishment.
    Sex and drugs are more memorable though🤣

You can have up to a 1 tb SD card so have no fear about preserving your legacy.
    Lol I have no issue with saving the messages somewhere. I am asking if having that many slows down the phone?

The other is if I were to remove the old messages, can I load them from another app and view them?

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    Lol I have no issue with saving the messages somewhere. I am asking if having that many slows down the phone?

The other is if I were to remove the old messages, can I load them from another app and view them?

The 10+ running on Pie is a fast and very stable platform. I would avoid moving to Android 10 or 11 as you will lose functionality.

I can't speak for the text apps but I play movies and wav files stored on my SD card all the time.
    Use the SD card as a data drive, and keep the apps on the internal memory.

The Lexar .5tb V30 card goes for $64 on Amazon and works right out of the box. Simply format in the phone first.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
    The 10+ running on Pie is a fast and very stable platform. I would avoid moving to Android 10 or 11 as you will lose functionality.

I can't speak for the text apps but I play movies and wav files stored on my SD card all the time.
    Use the SD card as a data drive, and keep the apps on the internal memory.

The Lexar .5tb V30 card goes for $64 on Amazon and works right out of the box. Simply format in the phone first.

@blackhawk Wait... I lose features going from Android 10 to 11?!!!! WHAT? the update was forced on my 10+. I don't even think you can avoid them? Is there a thread that discusses issues with the update?

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    @blackhawk Wait... I lose features going from Android 10 to 11?!!!! WHAT? the update was forced on my 10+. I don't even think you can avoid them? Is there a thread that discusses issues with the update?
    Well Karma Firewall losses it's ability to log and I use that daily.
    Trusted overlay apps get the "security" ax too.
    You lost these going to 10.

You can use a package disabler to block the updates carrier update apk or ask your carrier to disable on their end (they can).
    Likewise Karma Firewall could probably block it but haven't tested that.

edo101

Oct 26, 2013
    Well Karma Firewall losses it's ability to log and I use that daily.
    Trusted overlay apps get the "security" ax too.
    You lost these going to 10.

You can use a package disabler to block the updates carrier update apk or ask your carrier to disable on their end (they can).
    Likewise Karma Firewall could probably block it but haven't tested that.

what are trusted overlay apps? And what sort of security do they lose?

blackhawk

• Jun 23, 2020
    what are trusted overlay apps? And what sort of security do they lose?
    "Trusted" meaning you trust them.
    Apps like Douple Tap can't run on Q and above or need to enabled after each reboot.
    Double Tap has no internet connection so I'm really not concerned about it being spyware... but big sister Google thinks I need protecting.

There's also more restrictions on apps being able to collect system and app data, like Pie wasn't already too restrictive. This makes monitoring apps almost impossible. Guessing instead of knowing.

And the worst for last: cpu cycle eating Scope Storage makes this Apple wannabe nightmare complete.
    The biggest security threat on the phone is data mining Google, how fking ironic.
    Google sucks.