[IMPORTANT NOTICE] Ultratablet issues/bugs reporting & future updates

Search This thread

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
Hello Ultratablet users,

First, thanks for your continued support. If you are an Ultratablet user that has felt disappointed in your experience in any way, and would like to help us allocate our resources to be put to work efficiently, please read on.

With all of our products, we've consistently taken the approach of getting them in the hands of the users first, and then collecting as much feedback as possible so that we can improve upon the experience quickly and early in the life of the product. We are at our core, a software company first. That's why you would have experienced a lot of updates early when we first started shipping Ultratablets in the middle of 2015.

The earliest updates fixed critical issues that affected the majority of users. Later, the updates addressed certain types of usage issues including video playback, widely used apps issues, etc. At that point in time, we also had support from the design house for the board.

We're at a point now where much of the issues we see our users reporting to be related to platform or firmware issues. Solutions for these types of issues need the design house that designed and manufactured the board in the Ultratablet to be involved. However, their support have now basically slowed to almost a stop because they generally move on from old business to focus on new business. This is an unfortunate, but business driven and standardized way of operations in our industry.

Thus, what we can still do today is deal with software related issues that we can resolve. For platform or firmware related issues, we have almost reached a proverbial ceiling. I write this so to be transparent and honest.

Moving forward, here are two ways we can collect information about the current issues affecting your Ultratablet experience and how we can still provide updates and support. Knowing what the current issues are is the first step to allocating resources to fix these issues.

1. Fill out the following form and please provide us as much detail as possible:
http://support.jide.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
2. Provide details of your issue in detail here in this thread. Please include:
  • Remix OS version (Found in 'Settings > About tablet')
  • Serial number (Found in 'Settings > About tablet')
  • Detailed explanation of issue including affected app(s), opened apps. A screenshot or a video of the issue goes a long way. These details help us attempt to reproduce the issue in-house so we can troubleshoot them here.

After a week or so, I will collect all the issues reported in the form and here, and I'll work with the product manager to work on an update that fixes what we can.

Thanks for your continued patience and understanding.

Last edited:

Bwangster12

Jan 3, 2011
New York
With all due respect, I would take the lack of responses you are sure to get to be indication of how most of us feel. While I get that we were supporting a Kickstarter campaign, I didn't quite expect to be left behind so quickly, hardware or not. It didn't take very long at all for new devices to come up, with new and better updates that NEVER would come to the first launch your company made.

Reactions: frits183

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
I do get what the lack of responses may allude to. Since the Ultratablet Kickstarter campaign, we have issued around 30 updates and migrated the Ultratablet from to Remix OS 1.0 (based on Android 4.4) to Remix OS 1.5 (based on Android 5.0) to Remix OS 2.0 (based on Android 5.1). I also acknowledge that updates have been fewer and fewer for the past few months, especially since the Tegra 4 chip doesn't support Marshmallow.

I have thus far gotten one private message with a list of detailed issues the user is facing with the Ultratablet. With that list as our only compass, I'm working with the product manager to see what we can fix. If you could also share a list of the issues you face as well, we'd have more information to work on.

As far as new and better goes, are you reffering more to upgrades to Remix OS 3.0, which Ultratablet's chip doesn't support, or are you referring to specific features? If there are features from other versions of Remix OS that you feel would fit well on Ultratablet, we'd be happy to incorporate them.

Finally, I do apologize on behalf of all of us here if the Ultratable community feels "left behind". We do know that our earliest users put us on the map in the first place. We also have to first survive as a startup or else, we wouldn't even be chatting this moment.

Please leave us as detailed notes on your issues as possible. We're still commited on fixing the issues we can. Thanks.

With all due respect, I would take the lack of responses you are sure to get to be indication of how most of us feel. While I get that we were supporting a Kickstarter campaign, I didn't quite expect to be left behind so quickly, hardware or not. It didn't take very long at all for new devices to come up, with new and better updates that NEVER would come to the first launch your company made.

heavyt

Aug 29, 2011
I posted this question sometime ago in the forum,did not get any respond from Remix.

I would like to know if Remix engineers will be releasing a kernel patch to fix the CVE-2016-5195 linux bug?

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
I'm usually the guy manning our XDA forums and it's much easier and faster for me to respond if you @me. I'll find an engineer tomorrow to talk to about this and I'll give you some feedback. Just to be sure, is this related to the Ultratablet or to Remix OS for PC? I see Linux, and I'm thinking the latter...

I posted this question sometime ago in the forum,did not get any respond from Remix.

I would like to know if Remix engineers will be releasing a kernel patch to fix the CVE-2016-5195 linux bug?

heavyt

Aug 29, 2011
I'm usually the guy manning our XDA forums and it's much easier and faster for me to respond if you @me. I'll find an engineer tomorrow to talk to about this and I'll give you some feedback. Just to be sure, is this related to the Ultratablet or to Remix OS for PC? I see Linux, and I'm thinking the latter...
It is related to ALL OS's based on the Linux kernel, Android, Ubuntu, RedHat, Debian, etc.

Marcink00

Nov 17, 2010
For me the biggest problem is audio stuttering while screen is off. I have filled out a form as OP requested but I got answer that it is already fixed. Not for me, I am on the latest version and the problem is there. I did fastboot Remix OS image restoration and via OTA went to the latest. I would like to hear you loud if audio stuttering exist for you or I am the only one.

Wysłane z mojego MI 5 przy użyciu Tapatalka

heavyt

Aug 29, 2011
For me the biggest problem is audio stuttering while screen is off. I have filled out a form as OP requested but I got answer that it is already fixed. Not for me, I am on the latest version and the problem is there. I did fastboot Remix OS image restoration and via OTA went to the latest. I would like to hear you loud if audio stuttering exist for you or I am the only one.

Yes I also get stuttering sometimes when I use Xiialive in it is in the background.

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
I just confirmed with the product manager that the November 1st and November 6th Android security patch issued by Google will be included in the next update for all of our Remix OS products including Ultratablet. Thanks for the assistance!

It is related to ALL OS's based on the Linux kernel, Android, Ubuntu, RedHat, Debian, etc.

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
Thanks for sharing this along with the app that is having this issue.
@Marcink00 - Can you also help by indicating the app(s) that are creating this issue for you?
@Marcink00 @heavyt - Can I assume that you guys are all on the latest version of Remix OS on your Ultratablets?

Thanks again.

Yes I also get stuttering sometimes when I use Xiialive in it is in the background.

Marcink00

Nov 17, 2010
@RemixOS_Jason Yes I am on the lastest version. Aplications which trigger this issue are streaming apps, for me mainly Spotify and Soundcloud. My suspicion is when a screen goes off the tablet limits wifi data and because of it a stuttering appears.

Marcink00

Nov 17, 2010
@RemixOS_Jason while we are having your attention here I would like to ask about one small enhancement. I am not aware if Remix OS 3.0 has it or not but a feature which I miss very much is expanding notification. In 2.0 we are not able to do so. Moreover the spotify notification does not have a playback controll at all.

heavyt

Aug 29, 2011
Thanks for sharing this along with the app that is having this issue.

@Marcink00 - Can you also help by indicating the app(s) that are creating this issue for you?

@Marcink00 @heavyt - Can I assume that you guys are all on the latest version of Remix OS on your Ultratablets?

Thanks again.

@RemixOS_Jason I have discovered that I can stop the stuttering in audio when the tablet's screen is blank and an audio app is playing by connecting the tablet to a usb charger. So if the audio is suttering while the tablet's screen is sleep, plugging in a charger to the the tablet will stop the stuttering. So it seems the problem is active when the tablet is on battery power. This only works with a usb charger not the magnet charger.

Last edited:

tomlogan1

Oct 29, 2007
Display Link Presenter & Screen Standby

Resolved since this post, however the request for widgets is still valid.

I am using these two apps along with a Targus USB docking station. This allows me to use an external monitor and it works well. The issue I have is with the Screen Standby. The only way to engage it is to open the play store and then open the app. I believe in normal Android, this app is widget based and for Remix therein lies the problem.

I have attempted to check open in full screen mode and normal mode with no improvement in either case.

Please consider adding widget support for those of us who do have requirements for widgets.

Thank you.

Last edited:

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
Hey Tom,

I just checked with the product manager and it appears that widget support was taken away from Ultratablet global users while the Chinese ROM kept it. I'm entirely sure why as the person in charge at the time is no longer on the project.

In any case, we'll add it to features that will show up in the next update. The ETA, I suspect for the next update is within a couple of weeks.

Thanks,
Jason

Resolved since this post, however the request for widgets is still valid.

I am using these two apps along with a Targus USB docking station. This allows me to use an external monitor and it works well. The issue I have is with the Screen Standby. The only way to engage it is to open the play store and then open the app. I believe in normal Android, this app is widget based and for Remix therein lies the problem.

I have attempted to check open in full screen mode and normal mode with no improvement in either case.

Please consider adding widget support for those of us who do have requirements for widgets.

Thank you.

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
I've just shared your comment with the product manager. For the past week or so, we've been trying to reproduce the issue without success. The closest our Ultratablets come to "stuttering" is that audio (for apps like spotify, soundcloud, etc) will lag for a split second after the Ultratablet goes to sleep. After that, on our Ultratablets, the audio returns and plays normally.

@RemixOS_Jason I have discovered that I can stop the stuttering in audio when the tablet's screen is blank and an audio app is playing by connecting the tablet to a usb charger. So if the audio is suttering while the tablet's screen is sleep, plugging in a charger to the the tablet will stop the stuttering. So it seems the problem is active when the tablet is on battery power. This only works with a usb charger not the magnet charger.

heavyt

Aug 29, 2011
I've just shared your comment with the product manager. For the past week or so, we've been trying to reproduce the issue without success. The closest our Ultratablets come to "stuttering" is that audio (for apps like spotify, soundcloud, etc) will lag for a split second after the Ultratablet goes to sleep. After that, on our Ultratablets, the audio returns and plays normally.

@RemixOS_Jason, I thank you for your quick response. But I am very puzzled that the problem can not be reproduce by your team. Have you tried with the keyboard attached and tablet running on battery only?

A quick solution would be to send the tablet that you have that is working without suttering to me and I will send you my tablet, OK?

11wallace11

Oct 17, 2012
POCO M3
I've got lots of complains about this tablet. I upgraded my Remix Mini pledge after raising a question about the Ultratablet's relatively old SOC and potential future support. Of course I was told that there's nothing to worry about and that it's a fully capable SOC that will receive enough future support. The Ultratablet was practically abandoned a mere year after its release, and I don't see the Mini getting any more than "Security and stability" updates, so we basically can forget about new features here.
I barely use my Ultratablet mainly because it's so damn buggy! Not to mention the usual stutter and not-so-fluid interface. I think those are the reasons even you guys stopped using it. If you were using your own tablet for only a few hours a week, I'm sure you'd find enough bugs to fix that'd keep you busy for another year.
And how about backporting new features back to the Ultratablet?

But if you insist only on bugs, let me make a short list for you:
1. It's impossible to simulate a right-click on tablet-mode (without a keyboard). Let's say you want to access the right-click menu of a running application on a taskbar without a keyboard - it's impossible to do.
2. There's a 50% change that the trackpad will miss my double-click action for opening apps.
3. Suddenly closing apps - this one is weird. I opened Chrome a couple of minutes ago, looked away for a second and it was gone. Same goes for other apps. Mostly happens with the Play Store (might be easier to find).
4. Battery life is still BAD. I started writing this post with around 90% , and now I have 71%. This is NOT normal by any means. You look at less than two hours normal usage. My phone got a smaller 3000mah battery and a QHD display and with the same usage PLUS cellular connectivity and Bluetooth on all the time I'd get triple if not more usage time.
5. When minimizing fullscreen apps, you'd get like a second of black screen time before the next app/desktop shows. Seems like a small thing but can sometimes drive you mad!
6. We used to have 5GHz network support on OS 1.5. Now it's gone! Plus, it doesn't pick as many networks as my other devices sitting right next to it.

I can go on all day about my problems with this device, and there are other, more critical bugs that I just can't remember now, since the last time I used this device was like a month ago (and that also lasted no more than an hour).

I'm willing to help provide logs/screen records or whatever necessary to get a better understanding of the issues I brought above.

I'm of course on the latest 2.0.305 version.

Cheers.

Reactions: lusephur

RemixOS_Jason

Remix OS Rep
Jan 22, 2016
Beijing
I think I can work the exchange out. I'll contact you in private messages so we can initiate the exchange.

As for the usage test, I'm using Spotify to stream music. Then, I set display sleep to 30sec. After it goes to sleep, the playlist continues to play without stuttering. The closest we've come to reproducing your issue is when I'm in SoundCloud, it will pause for half a second when the display goes to sleep. But then, the music picks back up without issue and continue playing.

@RemixOS_Jason, I thank you for your quick response. But I am very puzzled that the problem can not be reproduce by your team. Have you tried with the keyboard attached and tablet running on battery only?

A quick solution would be to send the tablet that you have that is working without suttering to me and I will send you my tablet, OK?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Where are the updates?

Hello Ultratablet users,

First, thanks for your continued support. If you are an Ultratablet user that has felt disappointed in your experience in any way, and would like to help us allocate our resources to be put to work efficiently, please read on.

With all of our products, we've consistently taken the approach of getting them in the hands of the users first, and then collecting as much feedback as possible so that we can improve upon the experience quickly and early in the life of the product. We are at our core, a software company first. That's why you would have experienced a lot of updates early when we first started shipping Ultratablets in the middle of 2015.

The earliest updates fixed critical issues that affected the majority of users. Later, the updates addressed certain types of usage issues including video playback, widely used apps issues, etc. At that point in time, we also had support from the design house for the board.

We're at a point now where much of the issues we see our users reporting to be related to platform or firmware issues. Solutions for these types of issues need the design house that designed and manufactured the board in the Ultratablet to be involved. However, their support have now basically slowed to almost a stop because they generally move on from old business to focus on new business. This is an unfortunate, but business driven and standardized way of operations in our industry.

Thus, what we can still do today is deal with software related issues that we can resolve. For platform or firmware related issues, we have almost reached a proverbial ceiling. I write this so to be transparent and honest.

Moving forward, here are two ways we can collect information about the current issues affecting your Ultratablet experience and how we can still provide updates and support. Knowing what the current issues are is the first step to allocating resources to fix these issues.

1. Fill out the following form and please provide us as much detail as possible:
    http://support.jide.com/hc/en-us/requests/new
    2. Provide details of your issue in detail here in this thread. Please include:
    • Remix OS version (Found in 'Settings > About tablet')
    • Serial number (Found in 'Settings > About tablet')
    • Detailed explanation of issue including affected app(s), opened apps. A screenshot or a video of the issue goes a long way. These details help us attempt to reproduce the issue in-house so we can troubleshoot them here.

After a week or so, I will collect all the issues reported in the form and here, and I'll work with the product manager to work on an update that fixes what we can.

Thanks for your continued patience and understanding.

What happened to the idea of providing support? There are android issues (security) that need to be addressed as well as the various problems with Remix. It was great of you, Jason, to start this thread, but it really is time for Jide to provide something other than promises that are never acted upon.

Can we get a firm date when we can expect an update? It really must be embarassing to be in your position.
    I've got lots of complains about this tablet. I upgraded my Remix Mini pledge after raising a question about the Ultratablet's relatively old SOC and potential future support. Of course I was told that there's nothing to worry about and that it's a fully capable SOC that will receive enough future support. The Ultratablet was practically abandoned a mere year after its release, and I don't see the Mini getting any more than "Security and stability" updates, so we basically can forget about new features here.
    I barely use my Ultratablet mainly because it's so damn buggy! Not to mention the usual stutter and not-so-fluid interface. I think those are the reasons even you guys stopped using it. If you were using your own tablet for only a few hours a week, I'm sure you'd find enough bugs to fix that'd keep you busy for another year.
    And how about backporting new features back to the Ultratablet?

But if you insist only on bugs, let me make a short list for you:
    1. It's impossible to simulate a right-click on tablet-mode (without a keyboard). Let's say you want to access the right-click menu of a running application on a taskbar without a keyboard - it's impossible to do.
    2. There's a 50% change that the trackpad will miss my double-click action for opening apps.
    3. Suddenly closing apps - this one is weird. I opened Chrome a couple of minutes ago, looked away for a second and it was gone. Same goes for other apps. Mostly happens with the Play Store (might be easier to find).
    4. Battery life is still BAD. I started writing this post with around 90% , and now I have 71%. This is NOT normal by any means. You look at less than two hours normal usage. My phone got a smaller 3000mah battery and a QHD display and with the same usage PLUS cellular connectivity and Bluetooth on all the time I'd get triple if not more usage time.
    5. When minimizing fullscreen apps, you'd get like a second of black screen time before the next app/desktop shows. Seems like a small thing but can sometimes drive you mad!
    6. We used to have 5GHz network support on OS 1.5. Now it's gone! Plus, it doesn't pick as many networks as my other devices sitting right next to it.

I can go on all day about my problems with this device, and there are other, more critical bugs that I just can't remember now, since the last time I used this device was like a month ago (and that also lasted no more than an hour).

I'm willing to help provide logs/screen records or whatever necessary to get a better understanding of the issues I brought above.

I'm of course on the latest 2.0.305 version.

Cheers.
    The forwarding of reported issues, I assure you, does happen. However, if you have not seen fixes, it probably does indicate that we haven't been able to fix it, or the fixes haven't passed testing.

I do want to expound on the latter part of that statement. Not passing testing doesn't necessarily indicated that the fix didn't work, but that the fix may cause other bugs to surface / resurface.

For users like you, it may be worth it to see if rolling back to Remix OS 1.5 (based on Android 5.0 rather than 5.1) in it's reportedly most stable version, may improve your experience while we wait for an update. The following tutorial walks you through the process of rolling back:

http://support.jide.com/hc/en-us/articles/219111847-How-to-flash-Remix-OS-onto-Remix-Ultratablet-

Thanks again.

Let us help you with testing. You can tell us details about what was fixed (rather than the usual "stability improvements" in changelogs) and we'll be happy to give you detailed information about our findings.

On an other note, this is something I wrote over on the old forums and then the new system came up, did you think about having a public bug tracker?