• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

Improperly grounded touchscreen?

Search This thread

Lee1733

Dec 11, 2006
If I decide to get one, I'm going to make them open it up and test it out before I leave the store, haha.

cjmovie

Apr 9, 2008
I'm able to replicate the problems everyone else is having with my own Evo... but only when it's removed from the skin case I bought with it (the black rubber/gel like material - silicone?).

For those of you with the problem, do you have your Evo in any sort of case? If not, it might be a simple workaround. Not that it really makes up for the issue in the first place, but as long as it's working, it's fine with me.

mrono

Jun 4, 2009
I'm able to replicate the problems everyone else is having with my own Evo... but only when it's removed from the skin case I bought with it (the black rubber/gel like material - silicone?).

For those of you with the problem, do you have your Evo in any sort of case? If not, it might be a simple workaround. Not that it really makes up for the issue in the first place, but as long as it's working, it's fine with me.

no case, no nothing.

Tilde88

Nov 5, 2008
I actually spoke with an HTC rep yesterday. Radioshack manager emailed that he was there, so I could talk to him about it.. I end up showing him and also the HTC incredible test 4 on YouTube... he was totally wowed and was said he would definitely bring it up to the company... he got my email info and whatnot... but he said its the first time he heard of it..and he would've heard it if it were being discussed.. ill keep you guys posted if he ever emails.

But yea he was like wtf... didn't even know what to say.

Jun 8, 2010
That just might explain why I can't pull down the notification bar one handed with my Evo sitting on a table somewhere (without a case, with a screen protector).

orlandojumpoff

Sep 6, 2007
does anyone have the car dock? and if so, does the same thing happen? that's the only time i'd ever think about using the phone without actually holding it with the rest of my hand.

TREYisRAD

Jun 9, 2010
does anyone have the car dock? and if so, does the same thing happen? that's the only time i'd ever think about using the phone without actually holding it with the rest of my hand.

Thats what I was thinking, someone test out a carmount. (are any released yet?) I'm OCD about issues like these and I'm trying to tell myself that it doesn't matter. I've been using my phone 24/7 for the past week and I never noticed any touch-input issue until I saw this thread and tried it out.

It is a major issue and should be fixed, but how many people actually use their phone like this?

YafaKlan

Apr 18, 2010
Brooklyn
I've had the same problem with the Hero. and now the Evo. I just figures that it was probably so that things are only pressed/swiped when its in your hand, as opposed to your pocket? I dunno. Just throwing suggestions out there.

tobehuman

May 18, 2010
/watch?v=fbP_tNMu_TA

Add that to youtube.com. It won't let me post links.

Please see the video I made comparing by Evo's touch screen to my Hero's, while laying both phones on a flat surface. :(

Last edited:

DaytonaZ33

Jun 12, 2010
I've had the same problem with the Hero. and now the Evo. I just figures that it was probably so that things are only pressed/swiped when its in your hand, as opposed to your pocket? I dunno. Just throwing suggestions out there.

Well your pants generally aren't conductive enough to activate the device's screen, so I don't think this is by design. I've had a Moto Droid/iPhone 3GS and never had an issue using the touchscreen like this.

For some that mentioned the case, I have a Platinum series hard plastic shell for mine and it makes no difference.

ps. A lot of Incredible owners with this same issue had problems activating the screen in the car mount, so I am not too optimistic.

Aridon

May 14, 2007
If you are testing this make sure you aren't plugged in. If you p plug the device in it will work normally if its not plugged in then you start to see it.

eyecon82

May 30, 2010
just to be clear. i have the seidio case on and it does NOT happen to me either

awakener

May 23, 2010
Mine has the issue. Not happy about it. I first noticed it the other day. And I have the seidio case. and A screen protector.

jaypeezee

Aug 16, 2008
Just verified I have the same issue.

For those that "believe" they are not encountering the problem - Try multiple surfaces.

Here are my specs/testing;

Using a Platinum Case (Seidio) w/ back and front Invisible Shield, I can place the phone on the passenger seat of my car (cloth) and the problem occurs.

If I place it on my Panasonic Toughbook (all metal housing) no problem present.

I did this multiple times on different surfaces and depending on the surface, OR if I was touching the surface, the problem would show. In all fairness, I never noticed the problem prior to this thread however now I am constantly testing with more and more negative results :(

EDIT:

Just got off the phone with HTC, although the rep I spoke to was extremely nice and professional, she was unaware of the "issues" I had described to her. She did assure me that HTC actively monitors these forums and any issues/problems people encounter gets sent up to a development team.

Who knows if this will ever be fixed, but in conjunction with the 30fps cap, and Exchange reboots, im highly considering returning both my EVOs

Last edited:

xavier1022

Oct 31, 2007
Formal email

http://www.htc.com/us/support/e-mail

Can some write up a professional email or template that can be used to sent to htc.....those of us having these issues can just use with our name an s/n ... im sure it will be a fester response if they start seeing tons of complaints...