Question Improve battery life (change resolution/refresh rate) possible?

Search This thread

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
Technically, it should be possible to get some great battery life with this phone's big battery. Is it possible to change the resolution and also limit the refresh rate to let's say 10-60 instead of 10-120?
This alone should help a lot with battery. I am hesitate buying this phone because of the battery life I have seen in reviews.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Technically, it should be possible to get some great battery life with this phone's big battery. Is it possible to change the resolution and also limit the refresh rate to let's say 10-60 instead of 10-120?
This alone should help a lot with battery. I am hesitate buying this phone because of the battery life I have seen in reviews.
You can force refresh rate (60-120) in the developer options as far as I know. 10hz is not yet available to force (as far as I know), but stay tuned to what the root community can do about that in the future.

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
So forcing to 60hz would help. What about resolution? Yes, absolutely. I am excited to see what kind of battery life is possible with some kernels/tweaks ;)

Golf c

Jan 4, 2015
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Definitely turn off 5G. If you can. I heard some people don't have that option. Sucks we have to turn off all these features for better battery life. Mine is getting better over time. But coming from P5, this battery sucks

Reactions: linkin8480

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
I actually got an iPhone 11 Pro Max a while ago and the battery life is just awesome. Never have to think about it and I don't turn off anything. I was expecting the same from the 5000mah battery of the P6 Pro... I read that with 5G too already. I really want to go back to Android but I don't want worse videos or battery life..

Last edited:

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
Since I have never had 120hz refresh rate I don't know what I am missing so I am cool with forcing it to permanent 60hz if that saves battery life. Same with resolution. Curious what kind of battery life can be achieved with these tweaks.

Golf c

Jan 4, 2015
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Y'all must not of fully charged your phones before using them allowing the device to calibrate properly. I have no issues with battery on the P6P with heavy usage... Lasts through an 18 hour day without needing charged.
My mistake is comparing it to my P5. Not even close with battery. But their are a ton of differences. I get it. That's what chargers are for. I love the phone though.

Cares

Dec 2, 2010
Google Pixel 4 XL
Google Pixel 8 Pro
Since I have never had 120hz refresh rate I don't know what I am missing so I am cool with forcing it to permanent 60hz if that saves battery life. Same with resolution. Curious what kind of battery life can be achieved with these tweaks.

The display is one of the main "extra" features you get going from 6 to 6 Pro aside from extra camera. If you're worried about battery life because of 120hz then just buy the regular 6.

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
The display is one of the main "extra" features you get going from 6 to 6 Pro aside from extra camera. If you're worried about battery life because of 120hz then just buy the regular 6.
I hear what you are saying and I thought about it. I saw a review that put the front cameras next to each other and that put me off the regular Pixel 6. The 5000mah just sound so great and if we can change resolution and refresh rate that must increase battery life a lot.

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
My battery life has been great so far, Accubattery is estimating over 11hrs SOT and over 75hrs standby at this point. 120hz/5g both enabled. If someone is having bad battery life you may want to monitor specific apps that are keeping the phone from hitting deep sleep. Took mine off the charger 3.5 hours ago with 1hr SOT and sitting at 92%.

Reactions: benjmiester

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
You can't change the resolution to 1080p, no. You can't change to 90hz or 60hz (no idea about dev options). So no, the easiest ways to save battery aren't available.

Reactions: DinarQ8

xgerryx

May 26, 2011
New Hampshire
Nope, this is certainly not the right answer. Google should have enabled users to change the resolution and refresh rate like other phones have and this would be a non issue.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
My mistake is comparing it to my P5. Not even close with battery. But their are a ton of differences. I get it. That's what chargers are for. I love the phone though.
Coming from a P4 XL and the battery life is great, but as we all know, the P5 had good battery life, because it had a smaller screen (le pixels), lower refresh rate and a weak ass processor, so it was definitely to expect that the P6 Pro would have less battery life, except if people life like a gremlin in a cave with unrealistic expectations^^

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Hmm. Not true, your phone needs to understand where top and bottom is on that battery it's not a flashlight
As far as I know, Battery calibration is a myth. At least, it may as well be these days. It's a relic of recommendations for older, nickel-based batteries. Those needed calibration, modern lithium ones don't.

Reactions: kastuvas

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You can force refresh rate (60-120) in the developer options as far as I know. 10hz is not yet available to force (as far as I know), but stay tuned to what the root community can do about that in the future.
    You know, just an observation of course, I used to be obsessed with my battery life. Like OCD obsessed. And I would do everything possible to get the absolute best battery life. Since my first Android really, which was over 10 years ago. Every phone I would root and obsess over this. What's weird, is that since getting the Pixel 6...I don't give a crap anymore! I even removed greenify and any battery monitoring app. Seriously do not care. Something switched on and I told myself that this doesn't even matter. When my phone is low, I plug it in. I don't mind waiting.

Just thought I would share this. Completely irrelevant to the topic, sorry. I do, however, still charge to full and drain to 0% on every rechargable device I own. I know it doesn't matter these days, but I believe it used to long ago. Now it's just a habit.
    Y'all must not of fully charged your phones before using them allowing the device to calibrate properly. I have no issues with battery on the P6P with heavy usage... Lasts through an 18 hour day without needing charged.

Hello my friend. Great t

Hello my friend. Where you been, Iphone land? How's are new kernel cooking? Hahaha
    I have been on 4 xl:) I am back now with 6 pro