Question Improve battery life (change resolution/refresh rate) possible?

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I dare you to put "lithium battery calibration" in your favorite search engine and do some reading.

"Battery calibration is purely about an accurate reading of battery life. It does not improve battery life. That's an old myth left over from the years before we had lithium-ion batteries, smart chips, and smart sensors in phones and laptops.

[...]

With all this said, the vast majority of Android phone users never need to calibrate their battery. The smart chip, plus Android's own smart ways of reading battery statistics, combine to give you an accurate reading of your battery.

These smarter algorithms and sensors have made it possible for Android (and iOS) to calibrate the battery without needing the full discharge and charge cycle. The phone can re-calibrate the battery based on when it hits the "low battery" mode, and if you charge it fully or almost fully.

Such instances happen with daily usage anyway, so you won't need to calibrate your battery."

So, to sum it up: You can actually "re-calibrate" your lithium ion battery, but it will do nothing, except make the reading slightly more accurate. The battery life itself will still remain the same, which makes the "process" unnecessary.

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA

So, to sum it up: You can actually "re-calibrate" your lithium ion battery, but it will do nothing, except make the reading slightly more accurate. The battery life itself will still remain the same, which makes the "process" unnecessary.
Exactly, it allows your device to show you an accurate representation of the actual battery capacity. That's the entire point. Don't think anyone was eluding to additional battery life from cycling it. If the actual battery discharge level is 90%, but the phone is showing you 85%, wouldn't you want to recalibrate it for proper representation?

94b20gsr

Sep 4, 2008
Alpharetta, GA
If it wasn't an important thing to do, I don't believe the technicians at Tesla would have recommended my friend run her Model X down to 0% battery to, surprise, recalibrate the vehicle state of charge representation to correct it showing her a near 10% range reduction over time.

Reactions: Voyager2008

DespairFactor

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I would recommend disabling 5G, there are a few guides going around stating how to do this. There are also reports of the 6 gaining approx. 2.5 hours SoT over using 5G, which should translate roughly the same on the 6 Pro models.

Also, hello again @Golf c

Reactions: galaxys

Golf c

Jan 4, 2015
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I would recommend disabling 5G, there are a few guides going around stating how to do this. There are also reports of the 6 gaining approx. 2.5 hours SoT over using 5G, which should translate roughly the same on the 6 Pro models.

Hello my friend. Great t

Hello my friend. Where you been, Iphone land? How's are new kernel cooking? Hahaha

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

Oaklands

Aug 1, 2011
Google Pixel 6 Pro

I haven't received my P6 Pro yet but it seems a shame we have to disable a feature like that to get battery life. I live in an area where Verizon does not have 5g at this time, so not a big deal. However when I go to an area that does, it would be nice to see the performance without having to turn it back on.

DespairFactor

Recognized Developer / Inactive RC
Mar 13, 2013
Toronto
I haven't received my P6 Pro yet but it seems a shame we have to disable a feature like that to get battery life. I live in an area where Verizon does not have 5g at this time, so not a big deal. However when I go to an area that does, it would be nice to see the performance without having to turn it back on.
yeah it does sort of suck, but I wonder if it is because google hasn't used the modem before. Maybe we will see some nice upgrades to help with it

Labeled

Jan 10, 2010
Aurora
Technically, it should be possible to get some great battery life with this phone's big battery. Is it possible to change the resolution and also limit the refresh rate to let's say 10-60 instead of 10-120?
This alone should help a lot with battery. I am hesitate buying this phone because of the battery life I have seen in reviews

I've never seen this screen go below 60. I enabled "Show refreshrate" in dev options, it might be broken or something is broken with AOD, as my AOD shows 120Hz.

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
I've never seen this screen go below 60. I enabled "Show refreshrate" in dev options, it might be broken or something is broken with AOD, as my AOD shows 120Hz.
It seems that Google is only using 60/120 Hz as of now. We don't know yet if it's software or hardware locked. Or if Google uses another refresh rate for the AOD. Hard to find out.

It's known at least from Apple that this LPTO tech can be used to use a wider range of VRR, so I'd take a guess and say that it's up to Google to improve upon this in the future.

benjmiester

This is definitely not a thing anymore. I think what he's probably talking about is what people refer to as "settling". This is basically adaptive battery management needing a bit of time to determine which apps you do and don't use frequently. It will doze the apps you don't use as much battery life will improve a bit. Also there's always a rush of higher battery use when the device is new because everything was just open and running it's setup. They'll all go to sleep when they're done. I run through and force close /clear cache on them manually but that's just me being a psychotic control freak and rushing it. This should happen automatically nice and idiot-proof like on the iToys 😁

RetroTech07

Apr 24, 2021
Google Pixel 2 XL
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I don't think there's an actual problem with the pixel battery itself, but moreso bad s/w optimization. I was reading last night that in the android 12 beta folks were having battery drain issues, which was fixed for some in an update, but for others the issue persisted.

I do hope this is something Google is aware of and actively trying to fix, because out of all reviews for the phone it gets a lot of praise, but the battery is the one part reviewers have mixed feelings about. Some say it's awesome, others say it's terrible etc.

Having come from my pixel 2XL who's battery could no longer last a day without a constant need of charge, I don't wanna have to deal with battery issues again on a P6P lol. It's tempting to switch to Samsung or Apple because their batteries fair better without needing to adjust any features, but I don't think I could ever go back to Apple. Samsung is a maybe. I just want this fixed.

I don't understand why Google cannot get this part right consistently enough to avoid these issues. Their phone is amazing, but they've got to tackle battery life better.

Reactions: MArtyChubbs

JDUS

Jul 12, 2017
Looks like the variable refresh rate is definitely broken:

I actually preordered the Pixel 6 Pro over the regular Pixel 6 because of the variable refresh rate of the announced 10hz-120hz. I thought this would be great for battery life especially with custom kernel etc..

EeZeEpEe

Aug 13, 2010
Tampa, FL
www.twitter.com
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Phonebuff has done tests comparing changing the resolution
and refresh rates

and

Resolution seems to have 0 improvement on the battery. Refresh rate looks like it could be a yes and/or no on improvement. The S20 Ultra did gain 13% but the iPhone 13 vs 13 Pro was nearly identical. I would lean to some gains is possible since the S20 Ultra is running Android.

Personally, I like running all my features on but I get people want the option and choice.

roirraW "edor" ehT

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Personally, I like running all my features on but I get people want the option and choice.

^ This. I used to micro-manage things on Android a lot more, but beyond tinkering / rooting to get features I prefer, I tend to no longer trying to turn built-in features on to their minimal settings. My always 25-75% battery range lasts me ~24 hours no matter what phone I'm on.

Like you, I do understand and have no problem with those who want to manage those things, though.

It seems that Google is only using 60/120 Hz as of now. We don't know yet if it's software or hardware locked. Or if Google uses another refresh rate for the AOD. Hard to find out.

It's known at least from Apple that this LPTO tech can be used to use a wider range of VRR, so I'd take a guess and say that it's up to Google to improve upon this in the future.
I hope this isn't the case because one of the reason I got this was because I read it goes down to 10 Hz like the Iphone to save battery

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Technically, it should be possible to get some great battery life with this phone's big battery. Is it possible to change the resolution and also limit the refresh rate to let's say 10-60 instead of 10-120?
    This alone should help a lot with battery. I am hesitate buying this phone because of the battery life I have seen in reviews.
    You can force refresh rate (60-120) in the developer options as far as I know. 10hz is not yet available to force (as far as I know), but stay tuned to what the root community can do about that in the future.
    You know, just an observation of course, I used to be obsessed with my battery life. Like OCD obsessed. And I would do everything possible to get the absolute best battery life. Since my first Android really, which was over 10 years ago. Every phone I would root and obsess over this. What's weird, is that since getting the Pixel 6...I don't give a crap anymore! I even removed greenify and any battery monitoring app. Seriously do not care. Something switched on and I told myself that this doesn't even matter. When my phone is low, I plug it in. I don't mind waiting.

Just thought I would share this. Completely irrelevant to the topic, sorry. I do, however, still charge to full and drain to 0% on every rechargable device I own. I know it doesn't matter these days, but I believe it used to long ago. Now it's just a habit.
    Y'all must not of fully charged your phones before using them allowing the device to calibrate properly. I have no issues with battery on the P6P with heavy usage... Lasts through an 18 hour day without needing charged.
    Since I have never had 120hz refresh rate I don't know what I am missing so I am cool with forcing it to permanent 60hz if that saves battery life. Same with resolution. Curious what kind of battery life can be achieved with these tweaks.

The display is one of the main "extra" features you get going from 6 to 6 Pro aside from extra camera. If you're worried about battery life because of 120hz then just buy the regular 6.
    Hello my friend. Great t

Hello my friend. Where you been, Iphone land? How's are new kernel cooking? Hahaha
    I have been on 4 xl:) I am back now with 6 pro