Improved Wallpaper template, now with native resolution.

Search This thread

ritalin

Sep 28, 2007
Tampa
plus.google.com
So I was kind of wondering why the native horizontal resolution of our screen is larger then my original template. I started playing around with the ddms.bat in the SDK and sure enough the native resolution of the screen capture was 1280 horizontal. So I knew my original template was wrong and this explains the small amount of blurriness when the wallpaper is applied.

After a bit more playing in photoshop with the screen caps from ddms and this lovely aspect ration tool, I give you all the proper Xoom Wallpaper template. Same as last time the PSD is attached in the zip file below.

New%20Xoom%20Template.jpg

jdenman03

Aug 6, 2008
Indianapolis
thank you for this! I am starting on some new wallpapers, and this will help greatly! Now I just need a DEV to make a small app (tablet only) for the wallpapers.

cwizardtx

May 22, 2009
Houston
I gave up on looking for the "perfect" templates because in the end all you are doing is producing an image that looks good ONLY in landscape or ONLY in portrait.

You should include what the images are going to look like in both modes, just for brevity.

ritalin

Sep 28, 2007
Tampa
plus.google.com
I gave up on looking for the "perfect" templates because in the end all you are doing is producing an image that looks good ONLY in landscape or ONLY in portrait.

You should include what the images are going to look like in both modes, just for brevity.

I can if you want me to. I didnt bother because Honeycomb was meant to be viewed in Landscape.

Lare2

Feb 3, 2010
Thank you. I've been frustrated by this wallpaper resolution ordeal

SemperAndroid

Nov 3, 2010
Viera, FL
Template works Perfectly

Of course this is not finished, but I wanted to check on size and see how well it fits. The template turned out perfect. Snug as a bug.

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 635

SemperAndroid

Nov 3, 2010
Viera, FL
A couple of USMC Xoom compliant wallpapers. More to come soon.

43086ae5-fe41-9bdd.jpg
43086ae5-fe4d-79fe.jpg
43086ae5-fe5e-39e7.jpg

And 1 theme for the army
43086ae5-d25d-29ca.jpg

Sent from my Xoom using XDA Premium App

Last edited:

PengLord

Oct 24, 2007
I slapped this together in a few minutes today, if you guys want, I can up the PSD file too.

Attachments

• Chalkboard.jpg
    Chalkboard.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 445

kev0153

Nov 6, 2007
Appleton
so i'm kind of a newb on this template. If our image fits the center section it will look fine on the xoom?

JC7673

Apr 3, 2011
Wallpaper

This is amazing how difficult this is to create or use a simple background for Xoom. A simple thing turned into a development effort !

ritalin

Sep 28, 2007
Tampa
plus.google.com
This is amazing how difficult this is to create or use a simple background for Xoom. A simple thing turned into a development effort !

Thats not really true. This would be the same issue on ANY android device it was used in landscape mode. The problem is that the Wallpaper crop tool is still setup for portrait use, thus we need a guide to make sure what we want visible shows correctly.

What I would really like to do is edit the crop tool to add in 4 additional guides that would show what portion of the image will show on the desktop. It would not be hard to do if I know what to edit.

JC7673

Apr 3, 2011
xoom from Moto

I understand that. But what I do not get is releasing this OS for Xoom with so many quirks. I have worked in Android for phones for a couple years. I have worked with Moto in the past, and the combo Moto/Android is not a good combo on tablet. Moto still does not get the consumer.

Just my opinion. I like the xoom and that is why I am a bit frustrated. It was a chance to regain a bit of market share. But for a consumer iPAD(which I also have) the xoom is way too problematic.

h_zee13

Dec 31, 2009
Montreal
Ok so I don't have photoshop but when I used this template with gimp...my images were still not fitting the screen properly

Just to explain what this does:
- The image portion of the wallpaper (almost) fits the screen perfectly.
- The top black bar only appears when in app drawer. That's why I a have "Applications" labeled there, so it appears in the background.
- The bottom black bar appears when in "+" or widgets view, which is the reason why I labeled it "Add-ons"
- The white all-around bar is the section that won't show up at all when using XoomWallpaper_2.zip

So here is a "template" I made in GIMP. I attached both the .xcf for GIMP and also the actual .png wallpaper for those who want to try it to see what it does.

EDIT: XoomWallpaper.zip is for larger images (eg. 1892x903) and XoomWallpaper_2.zip is for smaller images (eg. 1132x540)

PS: I use "wallpaper set and save" to set my wallpapers. So I don't need to crop the image.

Attachments

• XoomWallpaper.zip
    5.5 MB · Views: 225
  • XoomWallpaper_2.zip
    2.6 MB · Views: 141
Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    So I was kind of wondering why the native horizontal resolution of our screen is larger then my original template. I started playing around with the ddms.bat in the SDK and sure enough the native resolution of the screen capture was 1280 horizontal. So I knew my original template was wrong and this explains the small amount of blurriness when the wallpaper is applied.

After a bit more playing in photoshop with the screen caps from ddms and this lovely aspect ration tool, I give you all the proper Xoom Wallpaper template. Same as last time the PSD is attached in the zip file below.

New%20Xoom%20Template.jpg
    Ok so I don't have photoshop but when I used this template with gimp...my images were still not fitting the screen properly

Just to explain what this does:
    - The image portion of the wallpaper (almost) fits the screen perfectly.
    - The top black bar only appears when in app drawer. That's why I a have "Applications" labeled there, so it appears in the background.
    - The bottom black bar appears when in "+" or widgets view, which is the reason why I labeled it "Add-ons"
    - The white all-around bar is the section that won't show up at all when using XoomWallpaper_2.zip

So here is a "template" I made in GIMP. I attached both the .xcf for GIMP and also the actual .png wallpaper for those who want to try it to see what it does.

EDIT: XoomWallpaper.zip is for larger images (eg. 1892x903) and XoomWallpaper_2.zip is for smaller images (eg. 1132x540)

PS: I use "wallpaper set and save" to set my wallpapers. So I don't need to crop the image.