Improved wifi performance if switched from Auto to 2.4 GHz only

Search This thread

bighuta

Jul 30, 2009
Aurora,CO
I've read other threads regarding poor wifi connection on 2.4, but that's assuming it was before the update that improved wifi performance.

That's why I found it weird that I never got above 10 mbps down from my excellent wifi signal on the Auto setting.
I remembered that this was an issue on my old nexus 5 with certain routers so I decided to try out using the 2.4 GHz only setting since that worked before and voila!
I'm averaging 26 mbps!

Not sure why that was the case, but at least my wifi speed is up to par :)

berryman13

Mar 30, 2011
San Francisco
I have a custom kernel but still stock ROM, what's the setting exactly to change bands from auto to 2.4? I really need this kind of fix.

EDIT: Found it
Settings -> Wi-Fi -> Advanced -> something regarding frequencies, click 2.4GHz instead of Auto.

Last edited:

Linuxslate

Jan 13, 2009
linuxslate.com
Thanks;

After just posting about WiFi in another thread, I saw this thread and tried it.

The Tablet is sitting in a keyboard stand, so it did not move. Nothing around it moved, and I went from 3 bars to full signal after turning 5.8 off.

Obviously, that is not a particularly thorough or scientific test, but it seems to indicate something.

I'll have to see if I get any better throughput.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've read other threads regarding poor wifi connection on 2.4, but that's assuming it was before the update that improved wifi performance.

That's why I found it weird that I never got above 10 mbps down from my excellent wifi signal on the Auto setting.
    I remembered that this was an issue on my old nexus 5 with certain routers so I decided to try out using the 2.4 GHz only setting since that worked before and voila!
    I'm averaging 26 mbps!

Not sure why that was the case, but at least my wifi speed is up to par :)
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone