• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

increase LG V20 Hi-FI DAC quality

Search This thread

beavis5706

Apr 17, 2014
Templeton
I don't take any credit for this I just discovered it here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-189 and since I've never seen it mentioned at XDA I figured I would share it.

So I was playing around with my build.prop file (VS995) and I came across this line "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=false". After some googling I came across that page at head-fi.org and learned that if you set "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true" it enables the Hi-Fi DAC to handle 16-bit content natively. By default the V20 is set to do this with 24-bit content only.

I can't speak for all formats but with the lossless flac files that I listen to it made an amazing difference in sound quality.

Tested on my VS995 13A stock rooted rom and on WETA 5.0.7 US99610h rom that I have running with dual boot patcher. It worked on both so chances are this works on all variants.

UPDATE:
I started to get curious about this DAC tweak so I decided to play around with my old V10, VS990 rooted stock rom. The build.prop on my V10 does not have the line "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable= (true or false)" so I added the line "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true", rebooted and viola. My V10 now sounds even better than before.

So this works on the V10 as well as the V20. Probably the V30 too, assuming root has been achieved.

Last edited:

dudeawsome

Nov 30, 2013
Update: fixed

I did this and now my viper4android is not processing anymore

---------- Post added at 06:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:54 AM ----------

Update: fixed

I did this and now my viper4android is not processing anymore
Okay so it works but keep turning off and on

Last edited:

beavis5706

Apr 17, 2014
Templeton
Using Viper4Android on the LG V20 undoes all the magic the ESS DAC performs.. It downsamples the audio to 16-bit/48kHz after the ESS DAC has upsampled everything to 32-bit/192kHz

Viper4Android increases the audio quality on most phones. However it is going to decrease the quality on any device running a dedicated DAC.

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
Using Viper4Android on the LG V20 undoes all the magic the ESS DAC performs.. It downsamples the audio to 16-bit/48kHz after the ESS DAC has upsampled everything to 32-bit/192kHz

Viper4Android increases the audio quality on most phones. However it is going to decrease the quality on any device running a dedicated DAC.
Technically yes but viper4android is still a thing you can't miss with this device, no other playerapp can provide this lossless analog timbre equalizer and much other soundimprovements it can provide.

Poweramp and neutron are way behind what viper4android can do or reach in soundquality terms

I compared the tweak with the default settings its a improvement by a small margin yes (not really magic). but as its not compatible with viper4android this is a no go for me personally and for many other people too i guess

I disagree with your statement that viper4android is decreasing soundquality with this DAC, its a huge improvement in contrary you should try it out yourself ;) dac by default sounds dull and unoptimized

Small tip: use viper4android in combination with neutron player this is where the real magic is.

Last edited:
Reactions: beavis5706

beavis5706

Apr 17, 2014
Templeton
Technically yes but viper4android is still a thing you can't miss with this device, no other playerapp can provide this lossless analog timbre equalizer and much other soundimprovements it can provide.

Poweramp and neutron are way behind what viper4android can do or reach in soundquality terms

I compared the tweak with the default settings its a improvement by a small margin yes (not really magic). but as its not compatible with viper4android this is a no go for me personally and for many other people too i guess

I disagree with your statement that viper4android is decreasing soundquality with this DAC, its a huge improvement in contrary you should try it out yourself ;) dac by default sounds dull and unoptimized

Small tip: use viper4android in combination with neutron player this is where the real magic is.

Very interesting I'm thinking about what your saying how Viper4Android doesn't work with this mod and I think I know why.

When audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=false the audio stream is being handled by Android, using Android's src converter and digital volume control. This also allows for Viper4Android functionality. When audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true the audio stream is passed on to the ESS DAC directly, completely bypassing Android's audio processing. This is what I think is causing Viper4Android to lose functionality. Perhaps this is why LG chose to set audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=false in their rom. To increase functionality with other apps, albeit at the expense of audio quality.

Personally I like the way it sounds with audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true and I'm gonna keep it that way. I have tried Viper4Android before and I know by my own ears that it did sound as good. At least not as pure which is what I prefer. So to each his own I guess :)

dudeawsome

Nov 30, 2013
Very interesting I'm thinking about what your saying how Viper4Android doesn't work with this mod and I think I know why.

When audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=false the audio stream is being handled by Android, using Android's src converter and digital volume control. This also allows for Viper4Android functionality. When audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true the audio stream is passed on to the ESS DAC directly, completely bypassing Android's audio processing. This is what I think is causing Viper4Android to lose functionality. Perhaps this is why LG chose to set audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=false in their rom. To increase functionality with other apps, albeit at the expense of audio quality.

Personally I like the way it sounds with audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true and I'm gonna keep it that way. I have tried Viper4Android before and I know by my own ears that it did sound as good. At least not as pure which is what I prefer. So to each his own I guess :)

okay it does work with the mod but it cuts in and out

While you might disagree based on your opinion, the fact is Viper4Android does indeed downsample audio. Go back into that same headfi.org thread he mentions and there will be people who conducted tests that show that. You cannot get bit perfect audio quality out of V4A because the V4A driver downsamples (V4A doesn't support HiFi audio), the audio.

This is why I tend to stay away from V4A. Sure, it makes the audio "sound" better but you're running the audio through so much processing things will get lost. V4A is great for when you have devices without a dedicated DAC. But, if your phone has a dedicated DAC or you have a DAC connected via OTG, it's best to go without V4A

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

I don't take any credit for this I just discovered it here https://www.head-fi.org/threads/lg-v20-sound-quality.816024/page-189 and since I've never seen it mentioned at XDA I figured I would share it.

So I was playing around with my build.prop file (VS995) and I came across this line "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=false". After some googling I came across that page at head-fi.org and learned that if you set "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true" it enables the Hi-Fi DAC to handle 16-bit content natively. By default the V20 is set to do this with 24-bit content only.

I can't speak for all formats but with the lossless flac files that I listen to it made an amazing difference in sound quality.

Tested on my VS995 13A stock rooted rom and on WETA 5.0.7 US99610h rom that I have running with dual boot patcher. It worked on both so chances are this works on all variants.

UPDATE:
I started to get curious about this DAC tweak so I decided to play around with my old V10, VS990 rooted stock rom. The build.prop on my V10 does not have the line "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable= (true or false)" so I added the line "audio.offload.pcm.16bit.enable=true", rebooted and viola. My V10 now sounds even better than before.

So this works on the V10 as well as the V20. Probably the V30 too, assuming root has been achieved.

Yeah, I have been using this tweak since the 990 got rooted. Works WONDERFULLY. Anything that can be done to et around the Android mixer is worth it to me. Bit perfect audio all the way around with this tweak.

---------- Post added at 01:39 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 PM ----------

UPDATE:

Yeah, I have been using this tweak since the 990 got rooted. Works WONDERFULLY. Anything that can be done to et around the Android mixer is worth it to me. Bit perfect audio all the way around with this tweak.

Last edited:

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
While you might disagree based on your opinion, the fact is Viper4Android does indeed downsample audio. Go back into that same headfi.org thread he mentions and there will be people who conducted tests that show that. You cannot get bit perfect audio quality out of V4A because the V4A driver will ALWAYS use the Android mixer which downsamples, or upsamples depending on the file's quality, the audio.

This is why I tend to stay away from V4A. Sure, it makes the audio "sound" better but you're running the audio through so much processing things will get lost. V4A is great for when you have devices without a dedicated DAC. But, if your phone has a dedicated DAC or you have a DAC connected via OTG, it's best to go without V4A

Well we can have a eternal discussion about this,"adiophiles" vs audio equalizer enthosiastics" viper4android is the best thing we have if you're a heavy equalizer user
It doesn't get better than that for android devices atm => Well... maybe with a hardware equalizer directly controlled from the kernel and DAC chip, there were some mods of that in the past with the wolfson dac chip from old android devices
For my personal use I cannot miss viper4android, clean default DAC sound is sounding dull for my "audeze insine 20 inears" for example
Poweramp and neutron does not the job well enough, not by far compared to viper4android :)

Technical speaking 16bit vs 32 bit rate is an improvement, but only by a small margin for my ears it's not worth letting go V4A
What DID improve the DAC was forcing the dac in high gain mode (other mod on this forum), this was a significant improvement imo, also audible in MP3's not only flac

Last edited:
Reactions: KUSOsan
Well we can have a eternal discussion about this,"adiophiles" vs audio equalizer enthosiastics" viper4android is the best thing we have if you're a heavy equalizer user
It doesn't get better than that for android devices atm => Well... maybe with a hardware equalizer directly controlled from the kernel and DAC chip, there were some mods of that in the past with the wolfson dac chip from old android devices
For my personal use I cannot miss viper4android, clean default DAC sound is sounding dull for my audeze insine 20 inears for example
Poweramp and neutron does not the job well enough :)

Here is the thing, you're speaking to opinion. I'm speaking to technical fact. When you use V4A, any audio you use is merely being amplified by the DAC and not being processed by it. Why do you think V4A doesn't work with the mod enabled? It's because Android is being set to run 16 bit audio through the DAC for processing and amplification. Thus, V4A isn't even touching the audio with this mod.

So, if V4A isn't touching 16-bit audio with this mod, then it's not even touching 24-bit audio by default. So it does the only thing it can do, it downsamples (since it downsamples any audio above 16/44 by default anyway, whereas Android's mixer upsamples to the max capability of the DAC). I cannot speak to what you feel is dull and such. That's your truth based on your musical ears.

All I am saying is this, V4A is nothing more but an EQ. A VERY GOOD one at that. If I didn't have the V20 or the Dragonfly Black, I would still be using V4A. But I don't because I have those tools at my disposal. Grab poweramp Alpha or Ainur and you will see the DAC come to life. V4A, and anything after this is my opinion, doesn't do anything close to what an app that lets the DAC do its job can do.

Installing V4A on this phone, again, my opinion is a waste of the full abilities of the DAC.. Using it just turns the DAC into an amplifier instead of allowing it to be the thing that processes audio IN ADDITION TO amplification.

mookiexl

Mar 17, 2011
Didn't know I could enjoy music on my phone without viper. All my mp3s/flac sound more lively. To my knowledge Power amp 3 still downsamples. Is the availability of the built-in equalizer a good trade off for the lost sample size?

Edit: Both viper and Dolby are broken with this mod

Last edited:
Didn't know I could enjoy music on my phone without viper. All my mp3s/flac sound more lively. To my knowledge Power amp 3 still downsamples. Is the availability of the built-in equalizer a good trade off for the lost sample size?

You could try blackplayer... It doesn't downsample. I use that because it also has an EQ and when I use my VE Monks, I need to tune the bass down

Reactions: mookiexl

mookiexl

Mar 17, 2011
You could try blackplayer... It doesn't downsample. I use that because it also has an EQ and when I use my VE Monks, I need to tune the bass down

Apparently the equalizer attempts to downsample once activated and you get no sound with this tweak. Oh well I'm good knowing I'm actually getting the most out the DAC at all times.

KUSOsan

Jul 21, 2013

While this phone without viper sounds night and day better than any phone I've heard so far, viper still sounds the best with Poweramp imo

Reactions: jody2k

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
Forcing it into High impedance does nothing for music quality.
It really depends
Some headphones do like the extra power, headphones with low impedance who are still powerhungry for example. For my audeze isine 20 it made a difference
Some audiophile headphones like the extra voltage, fact they are low impedance doesn't always mean they are easy to drive

Last edited:
Reactions: phamanhvu01
Apparently the equalizer attempts to downsample once activated and you get no sound with this tweak. Oh well I'm good knowing I'm actually getting the most out the DAC at all times.

Do you mean V4A becomes broken? Because I am using BlackPlayer right now with the EQ activated (Blackplayer's built in EQ, not V4A) and I am having no issues plus there is no downsampling.

But yes, as I said in an earlier post, V4A will become broken (as will most audio mods) if you use this build.prop mod because the DAC will be handling 16-bit audio processing directly instead of it being bypassed and handled by the audio mods.

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

It really depends
Some headphones do like the extra power, headphones with low impedance who are still powerhungry for example. For my audeze isine 20 it made a difference
Some audiophile headphones like the extra voltage, fact they are low impedance doesn't always mean they are easy to drive

High Impedance doesn't affect quality, it affects loudness. Since the amp in the V20 is actually pushing the headphones, the headphones are able to play louder. The quality is affected by the DAC whether h.i. is on or not. The quality doesn't change (unless you're into letting your audio clip), its just able to be louder.

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
Do you mean V4A becomes broken? Because I am using BlackPlayer right now with the EQ activated (Blackplayer's built in EQ, not V4A) and I am having no issues plus there is no downsampling.

But yes, as I said in an earlier post, V4A will become broken (as will most audio mods) if you use this build.prop mod because the DAC will be handling 16-bit audio processing directly instead of it being bypassed and handled by the audio mods.

---------- Post added at 03:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:41 AM ----------

High Impedance doesn't affect quality, it affects loudness. Since the amp in the V20 is actually pushing the headphones, the headphones are able to play louder. The quality is affected by the DAC whether h.i. is on or not. The quality doesn't change (unless you're into letting your audio clip), its just able to be louder.

I'm not gona try to learn a donkey maths, i'm not talking about more volume it does more than just that. you clearly don't know what you're talking about and as in contrary you read on hi fi forums you don't know anything about soundquality or how it affects ears/headphones

You're an idiot yes that right I'm gona ignore you from now

Last edited:

BROKEN1981

Dec 27, 2013
ASUS ROG Phone 3
I'm not gona try to learn a donkey maths, i'm not talking about more volume it does more than just that. you clearly don't know what you're talking about and as in contrary you read on hi fi forums you don't know anything about soundquality or how it affects ears/headphones

You're an idiot yes that right I'm gona ignore you from now
It only makes it louder. Just people say it does more then that on HiFi fourms does not make it true.

Just Google ohms law. It has no effect on audio quality. If you think High impedance makes better audio quality, then you have no clue as to what you are talking about.

Sent from my LG V20 using XDA Labs

Reactions: layzworm

alldine345

Mar 28, 2011
For my personal use I cannot miss viper4android, clean default DAC sound is sounding dull for my "audeze insine 20 inears" for example
Poweramp and neutron does not the job well enough, not by far compared to viper4android :)

Technical speaking 16bit vs 32 bit rate is an improvement, but only by a small margin for my ears it's not worth letting go V4A
What DID improve the DAC was forcing the dac in high gain mode (other mod on this forum), this was a significant improvement imo, also audible in MP3's not only flac

i dunno why you praise v4A that much, but here is what i tried. i used v4A on my v20 with Razer adaro DJ, KZ Z26, and puresound 260ohm earbuds. it sounds great until my brother in law bring his cord mojo and Fiio Q1 Mark II dac/amp. no matter setting that i use in V4A i always got "buzzing" on my headphone/iem/earbuds. the bass were enough but i lost the vocal and instrument quality. it get worse when i use fiio as a dac. restore my backup and testing without V4A. and guess what? every noise and buzz gone. fiio as amp really blowing every sound aspect from my v20. more soundstage, neutral sound, etc. so yeah, if you only use v20 and iem v4a might be best for you but once you use external amp or dac it became useless even downgrading sound performance.

Reactions: mookiexl

jody2k

Jun 3, 2011
i dunno why you praise v4A that much, but here is what i tried. i used v4A on my v20 with Razer adaro DJ, KZ Z26, and puresound 260ohm earbuds. it sounds great until my brother in law bring his cord mojo and Fiio Q1 Mark II dac/amp. no matter setting that i use in V4A i always got "buzzing" on my headphone/iem/earbuds. the bass were enough but i lost the vocal and instrument quality. it get worse when i use fiio as a dac. restore my backup and testing without V4A. and guess what? every noise and buzz gone. fiio as amp really blowing every sound aspect from my v20. more soundstage, neutral sound, etc. so yeah, if you only use v20 and iem v4a might be best for you but once you use external amp or dac it became useless even downgrading sound performance.

Buzzing from your ear buds?? Maybe you did something wrong badly
And you lost vocal and instrument quality yes let me guess what you did: you boosted the bass options without boosting the low mids, mids and high's because you don't know how equalizing works because your that kind of audiophile who strives after pure neutral sound.

Ofcourse the chord mojo is on a other league here it's alot better yes I tried it too but no equalization options soo i was bit dissapointed afterwards, i loved the pure sound it was giving tho and maybe the only dac i could use without EQ but then again there is so much potential lost ... So sad
If the mojo could be paired with a decent EQ then this would be majestic sound i agree

Tried several DAP's from sony the nwzx2 was the one who came closest maybe even better yes but damn the price of that thing

I don't know why you guys try to dishonor v4a it's really good and all about the settings you use

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

UPDATE:

For my personal use I cannot miss viper4android, clean default DAC sound is sounding dull for my audeze insine 20 inears for example
    Poweramp and neutron does not the job well enough :)

Here is the thing, you're speaking to opinion. I'm speaking to technical fact. When you use V4A, any audio you use is merely being amplified by the DAC and not being processed by it. Why do you think V4A doesn't work with the mod enabled? It's because Android is being set to run 16 bit audio through the DAC for processing and amplification. Thus, V4A isn't even touching the audio with this mod.

So, if V4A isn't touching 16-bit audio with this mod, then it's not even touching 24-bit audio by default. So it does the only thing it can do, it downsamples (since it downsamples any audio above 16/44 by default anyway, whereas Android's mixer upsamples to the max capability of the DAC). I cannot speak to what you feel is dull and such. That's your truth based on your musical ears.

All I am saying is this, V4A is nothing more but an EQ. A VERY GOOD one at that. If I didn't have the V20 or the Dragonfly Black, I would still be using V4A. But I don't because I have those tools at my disposal. Grab poweramp Alpha or Ainur and you will see the DAC come to life. V4A, and anything after this is my opinion, doesn't do anything close to what an app that lets the DAC do its job can do.

Installing V4A on this phone, again, my opinion is a waste of the full abilities of the DAC.. Using it just turns the DAC into an amplifier instead of allowing it to be the thing that processes audio IN ADDITION TO amplification.
    i've been longer than you on XDA so don't tell me what the rules are
    I know one thing, you guys pissed me off and that's how i react when i'm really pissed off against the rules or not i don't care
    I helped alot of people on this forum in the past, i accomplished things, people like you is why many good dev's have left this forum in the past
    I was looking for implementing a kernel with a software based hardware equalizer acces right from the dac, but i have changed my mind
    I don't need poeple like you ****ting on everything who has been proven as years as amazing software

This is my last thing i will ever post here: i'm gona enjoy my music and leave this section of the forum
    Bye Felicia

Sent from my LG V20 using XDA Labs
    Right here is exactly why I stayed out of this argument. Proving whose audio sounds better is nearly impossible. Technically speaking lyrical1278 is correct on this. Viper4Android does indeed run at 16-bit 48kHz. There is no getting around this. However who am I to say that Viper doesn't sound better for some people. Sound quality can be very subjective. Perhaps some people prefer the sound of 16-bit 48kHz. It certainly does have an "edgier" sound, more rough and not as smooth as ESS DAC..

However I do have to side with lyrical1278 on his one. If you are going to use Viper4Android you may as well be using any phone that uses the internal DAC instead of a dedicated one like the V20 has. You will get absolutely no sound quality benefit using the V20 in conjunction with Viper4Android. Viper will process the audio as it would on any ordinary phone, at 16-bit 48Khz, completely negating the effects of the ESS DAC 32-bit 192kHz output.