Increase Screen Brightness beyond normal or "stock" values?

Search This thread

jaw2012

Jan 21, 2010
I really love my Inspire, especially w/ Honeyogen installed. But the problem of viewing the screen in direct sunlight is a major problem for me, one that I cant seem to find a soultion for.

Ive tried different screen covers & different ROMs & even different Kernals, yet the Inspires Slcd screen is still terrible in direct sunlight, as all I see is my reflection.

My question is this... is there anyway to hack the screen to increase the brightness beyond the "normal" or "stock" brightness levels?

I would think that if developers can hack volume levels for the external speaker & also freq values for overclocking the cpu, that the same could be possible for the screen brightness!?

Thanks, i appreciate your thoughts!

g3ismeee

Apr 29, 2011
PORTLAND
I really love my Inspire, especially w/ Honeyogen installed. But the problem of viewing the screen in direct sunlight is a major problem for me, one that I cant seem to find a soultion for.

Ive tried different screen covers & different ROMs & even different Kernals, yet the Inspires Slcd screen is still terrible in direct sunlight, as all I see is my reflection.

My question is this... is there anyway to hack the screen to increase the brightness beyond the "normal" or "stock" brightness levels?

I would think that if developers can hack volume levels for the external speaker & also freq values for overclocking the cpu, that the same could be possible for the screen brightness!?

Thanks, i appreciate your thoughts!

Thank you for this question. I am interested in a solution to this as well.

daddioj

Jul 23, 2011
Poconos
is your screen on auto brightness? take it off and adjust yourself. it will adjust to light depending on how much and how little you get.

evostevo1

Dec 1, 2010
If your rom is cm7 base go to menu, settings,cyanogenmod settings,display, automatic backlight,scroll down to light levels,check use custom, other levels, (this is what I do) change 1st 3 screen profiles from 41 to 61, 61 to 81, 81 to 101, then hit save and apply. The higher the # the brighter the screen. Those settings are pretty good on battery and definitely helps on making the screen more viewable outside and in bright rooms. Hour this helps
Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA App

jaw2012

Jan 21, 2010
Thanks for trying, but of course I've set my brightness levels myself. Auto-brightness doesn't do it for me.

I'm just surprised that there aren't hacks for screen brightness. Just as speakers levels & the CPU are governed to a certain threshold in stock configs, I would think the screen is governed and has much higher brightness levels it can go beyond.

jaw2012

Jan 21, 2010
If your rom is cm7 base go to menu, settings,cyanogenmod settings,display, automatic backlight,scroll down to light levels,check use custom, other levels, (this is what I do) change 1st 3 screen profiles from 41 to 61, 61 to 81, 81 to 101, then hit save and apply. The higher the # the brighter the screen. Those settings are pretty good on battery and definitely helps on making the screen more viewable outside and in bright rooms. Hour this helps
Yes, my ROM is CM7 based. But I assume these custom levels are for the Auto-Brightness mode?

Also, where exactly do I make these changes? Because the "screen" values are already at 41, 61, 81, 112 and so forth. So I assume these values have been changed by my ROM developer or are they CM7 defaults? Or do I have it all wrong? LOL. Thanks again.

jaw2012

Jan 21, 2010
is your screen on auto brightness? take it off and adjust yourself. it will adjust to light depending on how much and how little you get.

Thanks for trying, but of course I've set my brightness levels myself. Auto-brightness doesn't do it for me.

I'm just surprised that there aren't hacks for screen brightness. Just as speakers levels & the CPU are governed to a certain threshold in stock configs, I would think the screen is governed and has much higher brightness levels it can go beyond.

evostevo1

Dec 1, 2010
Yes, this is for auto brightness. You do have the correct defaults. I bumped the first 3 profiles up by 20 and screen is brighter at lower levels.

jaw2012

Jan 21, 2010
Yes, this is for auto brightness. You do have the correct defaults. I bumped the first 3 profiles up by 20 and screen is brighter at lower levels.

Ok, but my question is does this actually make the screen any brighter than the highest stock brightness level?

Or does this just change the values, so that the lower values are brighter, but no brighter than the stock highest level?

jaw2012

Jan 21, 2010
So why can you developers increase & hack the speaker and the CPU values and MAX out their potential, yet the screen's potential is wasted and we are stuck with dark screens that can't be seen very well outdoors?

It doesn't make sense to me. The screen backlight must have more potential, they don't push ANY hardware to it's max in stock configurations.

Come on developers, we need you again!

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
FALSE - juice defender's ultimate (maybe even pro) app can adjust it higher than the 100% brightness value. Only problem with this is that you have to let it control your brightness settings, but there's a bug that doesn't allow you to install apk's manually - so you have to disable the brightness while you install apks (or you could just install through adb lol). so yes, there is a way.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.ultimatejuice&feature=search_result

g3ismeee

Apr 29, 2011
PORTLAND
FALSE - juice defender's ultimate (maybe even pro) app can adjust it higher than the 100% brightness value. Only problem with this is that you have to let it control your brightness settings, but there's a bug that doesn't allow you to install apk's manually - so you have to disable the brightness while you install apks (or you could just install through adb lol). so yes, there is a way.

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.latedroid.ultimatejuice&feature=search_result

Thanks! Didn't know this.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

jaw2012

Jan 21, 2010

Um no Juicedefender does'nt raise the screen brightness ANY higher than you normally can w/ the stock brightness slider. All that does is mess with the Auto-Brightness settings.

Alot of people seem to get the Auto-Brightness settings confused with what I am asking. I want to be able to raise the brightness beyond the MANUAL brightness slider. If you raise the auto-brightness setting, your STILL limited to the max value that's on the manual brightness slider. I want THAT manual setting to be pushed beyond the normal "stock" value, which I guess is impossible......can't understand why when almost every other hardware is hacked to allow better performance.

nhshah7

Feb 14, 2009
Boston
Um no Juicedefender does'nt raise the screen brightness ANY higher than you normally can w/ the stock brightness slider. All that does is mess with the Auto-Brightness settings.

Alot of people seem to get the Auto-Brightness settings confused with what I am asking. I want to be able to raise the brightness beyond the MANUAL brightness slider. If you raise the auto-brightness setting, your STILL limited to the max value that's on the manual brightness slider. I want THAT manual setting to be pushed beyond the normal "stock" value, which I guess is impossible......can't understand why when almost every other hardware is hacked to allow better performance.

Okay sorry just looked at juice defender again. It allows you to only change the shape of the brightness curve. As for forcing a brighter screen level I'm blank on that. Have you manually set it to 100% and its still. Not bright enough?

Sent from my Inspire 4G using XDA Premium App

SweetPotater

Aug 20, 2020
You cant overclock the values of your android hardware "screen" for brightness and dimness since it can only work properly on a given threshold hence any more than that is negligible.