InDashNet Octa Core Lollipop Head Units Info Thread

Search This thread

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
Same here. It seems quite a bit smoother than the previous version. No X axis issues. Appreciate the proper play store version, that's what I'm currently working on. Although after installing it doesn't seem to want to open, just get the usual play store has stopped working error. Do I need to download play services separately?

I do notice some slight audio feedback from my speakers when moving between certain apps and menus.

Steering wheel mapping isn't working on this version either. App crashes the HU when you try to set a key.

email Thomas with that issue indicating your car brand, model, year... maybe a change in some advance settings is needed to select a specific CAN BUS model (other HeadUnits work like this and they just send it to you pre-setted to your model), or maybe he still need to fix things

Last edited:
Reactions: CompletelyNumb

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
All the latest Google Play Services (ARM) stop upon launch. I will test with some previous versions to see if I can find a proper fit.

ok, I removed the links to the GooglePlay store apks from the resources post for the time being
...maybe what is needed is one of the gapps packages
you can get them here
http://opengapps.org/?api=5.1

but this are zips to be falshed from a recovery, (I use them with CyanogenMod all the time)
or maybe with some patience, unziped and copied on the SDcard that already have the lollipop image before installing it

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
Wow, little bit of a lull here guys...not much movement from Thomas?? Hate to say it but seems like it's a bit scattered and unorganized...anyone actually talk to Thomas directly and get some firm timelines around 5.1.1 official release? Anyone else have an Octacore unit?

Reactions: Johny_drew

touchpt12

Jun 18, 2010
New York, NY
Wow, little bit of a lull here guys...not much movement from Thomas?? Hate to say it but seems like it's a bit scattered and unorganized...anyone actually talk to Thomas directly and get some firm timelines around 5.1.1 official release? Anyone else have an Octacore unit?

Thomas did provide Lollipop. We are trying to get certain things working properly (i.e. Play Store/Services). I will reach out to Thomas to see if there are any further developments.

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
Thomas did provide Lollipop. We are trying to get certain things working properly (i.e. Play Store/Services). I will reach out to Thomas to see if there are any further developments.

Sounds good. I guess Thomas is feeding the prelim/beta version of the 5.1.1 so totally understand some of the work that still needs to be done. For others that might be deciding if this unit is "right for me" are there any videos of the new Lollipop start up time other than the one posted by In Dash Net? From what I can tell in this thread, only one user actually has a unit and working on updating to Lollipop...any others out there?

CompletelyNumb

Feb 2, 2012
Calgary
It's about 15 seconds for me. |i didn't bother to make a video since one existed.

Pet peeve: hitting back turns off the radio. Need to find a way to make persistent radio until I turn it off.

CompletelyNumb

Feb 2, 2012
Calgary
So far, no worse than my stock HU. I haven't brought it far enough out of the city to test though.
WiFi dongle works good, I get 3/4 bars of internet in my truck parked outside. R7000 router inside the house.

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
So far, no worse than my stock HU. I haven't brought it far enough out of the city to test though.
WiFi dongle works good, I get 3/4 bars of internet in my truck parked outside. R7000 router inside the house.

Ya, I see you are in Calgary (I am near Toronto but don't hate me LOL). Would love a real review of this if you get a chance, I guess once you work through the kinks....They don't make an Audi TT version yet (but an A3) but say it could be done for May. I am trying real hard to see if this one is right for me given I am fairly picky about those factors I mentioned (Start up, sound quality, FM radio quality). Keep us posted bud!

touchpt12

Jun 18, 2010
New York, NY
Got a message from Thomas regarding the lack of Google Playstore/Services. For now it seems we will need to fend for ourselves.
I managed to get a dump of the Lollipop image. Going to see if I can extract the system files and compile them to create a custom ROM.
Wish me luck...

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
Got a message from Thomas regarding the lack of Google Playstore/Services. For now it seems we will need to fend for ourselves.
I managed to get a dump of the Lollipop image. Going to see if I can extract the system files and compile them to create a custom ROM.
Wish me luck...

Wow....so far not that impressed with some of the interactions people are having with Thomas. This doesn't set a great example of how customers will be dealt with in the future. Maybe I am overreacting and maybe since 5.1.1 isn't officially out yet from them so it's ok but wow. Hopefully we will see some positive results in the VERY near future.

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
Wish me luck...

When you say that you got a dump of the lollipop image, you mean the .img from Thomas or did you got a source tree for the testing version like the one that exists for the stable kitkat?
.-if its the img and you get a way to repack it, plase share how
.-if its the source tree, please share the link

Im thinking of unpacking the image of one of the HuiFei rk3188 units (got one from eonon) to extract the bootanimations of the different car manufacturers to add them to the lollipop image

About the CAN BUS, Im going to contact Thomas again, last time he told me that he would tell me something this week about my new CAN BUS integration (Peugeot its not the original car list), also I asked about the Audi, lest see if he got something new on that front

touchpt12

Jun 18, 2010
New York, NY
When you say that you got a dump of the lollipop image, you mean the .img from Thomas or did you got a source tree for the testing version like the one that exists for the stable kitkat?
.-if its the img and you get a way to repack it, plase share how
.-if its the source tree, please share the link

Im thinking of unpacking the image of one of the HuiFei rk3188 units (got one from eonon) to extract the bootanimations of the different car manufacturers to add them to the lollipop image

About the CAN BUS, Im going to contact Thomas again, last time he told me that he would tell me something this week about my new CAN BUS integration (Peugeot its not the original car list), also I asked about the Audi, lest see if he got something new on that front

I found some tools online and managed to get a dump of the Lollipop ROM Thomas shared. I extracted the system.img and unpacked it. The following would need to be added to "system\priv-app"
- GmsCore.apk
- GoogleServicesFramework.apk
- GoogleLoginService.apk
- Phonesky.apk
I will report back if it works after I recompile the image.

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
I found some tools online and managed to get a dump of the Lollipop ROM Thomas shared. I extracted the system.img and unpacked it. The following would need to be added to "system\priv-app"
- GmsCore.apk
- GoogleServicesFramework.apk
- GoogleLoginService.apk
- Phonesky.apk
I will report back if it works after I recompile the image.

That's great!
I hope the repacking goes well, I just mailed Thomas again to get instructions about the repacking just in case, since Dragonface doesnt work for this image, mostly for the differences in the default build.prop and script.bin files for this HeadUnit for what I can see.
I you can, share the link to the tools and some indications, the O.S. used doesnt matter

Im basically just waiting for confirmation on my CAN BUS working and the source release to get one of this, as a community, I think we can also help to make it better besides the customizations
(asked again about the list of radio chips options for those interested)

Thanks again, as always

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just heard from Thomas. New update will be released this week addressing many of the issues noted in the log. I hope he provides a change log but he confirmed after this release, he will be moving is efforts to the Google Music and Apple Music issues. Awesome!!
    Thanks man, definitely something I need to look at. This could also explain the frequent 'Optimizing apps' dialog I get, makes me believe it boots with a cleared cache partition if it does. In the meantime, I sincerely hope the Radio-Back-Button-issue is resolved soon, it drives me crazy! :silly:

A quick cure version is coming to remove the 'evil back' function. :) Also the mode/mix audio will be removed.
    Hi all,

Just got a reply from Thomas on the G+ page about some documentation for the OctaCore Developer unit. Here is the literal quote:
    All documents, tools and SW update will be released here:

goo.gl/ROAT9A

"Developer Guide" is also uploaded there.
    direct acess: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Nj9XViGv_6UFRUbE42YndlOW8/view

For Developer Edition:
    1) No need to get into recovery as in normal booting mode, you can directly push any software into unit by ADB(with root user/right by default).
    2) Best way of re-flash IMG is by PhoenixSuit via USB device(same one of ADB).
    3) If you want to release your IMG, please test it by adb. Then pack your modification by IMG tool Dragonface.

! If your unit is coming with canbus box, you may need to get into factory setting after full IMG re-flash.

I pointed Thomas to XDA, but he seems to use the G+ community for his communications. He wants to create one post that he will update with new information, so we can make a deeplink.
    So in the meantime, go and have a look on his Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8Nj9XViGv_6TkpERXRJcnNjRFk&usp=drive_web#list
    @rubenjavier, can you update the first post again? Thanks!
    do you get root user right of adb? If yes, you don't need recovery, fastboot etc.
    1) If some thing wrong, you can always re-flash full IMG via USB device/slave to get system back.
    2) Once you get system back, play with adb with root user right is much easier(adb push, adb install).
    3) You can pack your own IMG with the tool DragonFace.

I just got my developers unit and had a chance to try out a few things, but have managed to get it stuck in an infinite boot cycle trying to 'optimize apps' when trying to install the amazon marketplace. I'd like to reflash with the image that includes play services linked on the top post but not sure how to get it into recovery mode. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Ok, I managed to get it into fastboot mode using adb reboot bootloader and I can see the device with the fastboot command. Which partition is ZX8802-51_V3.00IB_PV5R0058_EN.img supposed to be flashed to? I havent had to do this in a while and remember doing it with an update.zip to flashall or having a complete set of img file for the bootloader and radio.

Help! my unit wont boot, just as I was beginning to have some fun.
    Well from what I can see the unit looks promising in its stage. In eager to replace my newsmy and it's so hard not to jump in on the sale they have going on. I'm just a little concerned with the overall development & the FM signal issues. If it's bad in a GM product then it's going to be horrible in my vw with their antenna setup.

Plus I've asked in-dash (not sure who's answering the emails) a couple questions regarding the canbus and the answers haven't been the best. Not really wanting to spend another $600cdn on a radio and find out it's worse then my half functioning newsmy.

Anyone out there with one of these units using it as a daily commuter device? Can they shine some light on the questions I've asked?

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Exactly...I have an Audi so I share your concerns with the FM radio reception issues.....it's so frustrating that we as consumers value flashy, bells and whistles, CPU, RAM, OS versions that really do not help a CAR STEREO perform the basic functions first. Not blaming the manufacturers since they just make what the masses want....in this case a "cheaper" car stereo that pretends to be a tablet so you can surf the internet, play games and do all these fancy things while driving (not). There are a few sellers out there (Tommy from AVIN) that actually know what I am talking about and spend time optimizing the Android based head unit for it's core functions of playing music, providing GPS. They also understand that choosing proper hardware first is key....you can do all you want to the software but if the damn FM radio chip is garbage, it won't ever work.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone