InDashNet Octa Core Lollipop Head Units Info Thread

Search This thread

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
I emailed via their website and got a reply, but it didn't make a lot of sense. I thought in-dash was an American company but the text didn't read like English was their first language.

And the answer made no sense. I asked why there were three different units listed for Jeep, with different product numbers. All the pics and specs were the same. The email replied said they were all the same. Makes no sense

Sent from my SM-G935V using XDA-Developers mobile app

Ya, I am really concerned about the level of customer support with these guys. I was told today to order the Audi A3 unit but put in my notes it's for Audi TT as they are making that model, just have not updated website. I am fairly sure this is another Chinese company simply based on my communications with them. It's similar to many of the companies like Joying, Pumpkin, etc where you send an email one day, it takes another for them to respond then it doesn't effectively answer your question so you have to respond, wait another day, etc.

I just wish a company would develop a high end Android head with serious R&D on audio quality (FM chip, Amp chip) or borrow from the name brand units. Invest time in making it start up in seconds (MCU development) and get the damn hardware optimized for the Android software. I know Parrot, Clarion, Blaupunkt and Rydeen all had Universal Android head units with exceptional audio quality (6V preout on parrot asteroid) and have many options for "sleep" (up to a week on Blaupunkt). They all ran on Android 2.3 which is now outdated but man, it worked very well as a CAR STEREO first. Anyway, I am ranting (LOL) but come on. There is a market out there for those that want name brand audio quality with Android OS and car specific fascia. Maybe I should start a company?? LOL

Reactions: checksum123

j0bro

May 28, 2006
Eindhoven
Oh it was clear to me that it's a Chinese startup; started from an Indiegogo campaign, very sparse info on blog/website, no advertising. The thing is though that this type of initiatives can make quick progression when they use their community well and I think they have the potential. All units listed on their website are the same one, the only difference are the face plates, which are borrowed from many other existing models. So the only thing they need to develop is essentially, the motherboard and software support. The SoC + GPU are quite capable so as I said lots of potential and Android can be customized to whatever they need. I worked in the automotive navigation industry for 4 years and usually, the hardware components that are chosen for most mid to high end systems perform sh*tty to say the least.

In-Dash.net is a project by Mind Bridge, Shenzhen, China run by Thomas Chen and Sheng Hu Chai, as listed on their current Indiegogo page (December 2015)
In an earlier campaign (September 2013), they seemed to have easily reached their goal of getting $10,000. That time Thomas Chen (architect) teamed up with Shun Fang (product manager). The unit had an ARM Cortex A8 SoC with a Mali-400 GPU and ran Android 4.0.

The 2015 campaign failed at getting enough backers, where the product was placed as an 'Open Source infotainment system'. The SoC of the current model is an Allwinner A83T octa-core (ARM Cortex A7 + PowerVR SGX544 GPU). If they release a good software basis (Android 5.1.x, rooted hopefully) it could be a very competetive unit.

I hope I can get a reply on my questions, I would like to build one into my Kia Sorento which accepts a standard 2-DIN model.

---------- Post added at 10:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:15 PM ----------

Aha, found a review of someone who bought another type of head unit (Pumpkin Android 4.4 based), but also for the Kia Sorento. From the small image on the in-dash-net product page it seems the face plate used on these units are identical. So yeah, they only put in different electronics and software.

Last edited:

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
Does anyone have Thomas' direct email? I have been emailing the indash.net general email and not sure if that is Thomas or not. I really need to find out the status of making my specific fascia for Audi TT. If someone has it can they PM me?

I've always contacted Thomas using [email protected], thats how I've been able to get all the answers and info so far that are published and updated on the first two threads. Since its a Chinese startup based in China and english its not its first language, I always try to keep the questions short and to the point, and the answers usually take sometime because of different timezones.

I'm still waiting for some answers about new CANBUS apks to add more models, the precise list of FM radio chips available to choose from, and the lists of WiFi dongles that are tested so far.

Maybe its time to show InDashNet how the interest is rising for the units here on XDA and get the 5.1.1 source tree released soon just like the 4.4.4

Note: to those people asking for model specific faceplates, I think like the other OEM Head Units, they just use the faceplates availables in China and can be bought trough aliexpress or taobao (taobao site is completely in chinese, I had bought car pieces there that are not available on aliexpress using the web spreenow wich is in english)

Reactions: redlinegt

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
First post updated with more pictures from the actual hardware, so nobody has to fish for the right post, credits goes to CompletelyNumb, also added a link to touchpt12 video of the 5.1.1 Lollipop moded image with a working Playstore and Nova Launcher

CompletelyNumb

Feb 2, 2012
Calgary
Tried flashing the 5.1.1 image with working playstore and it failed every attempt. I'm not certain what the issue is, but it's been proven dozens of times now that I am unable to flash any image altered with dragonface, whether by me or now by someone else. Thomas' images all flash no problem. Very frustrating.

touchpt12

Jun 18, 2010
New York, NY
Tried flashing the 5.1.1 image with working playstore and it failed every attempt. I'm not certain what the issue is, but it's been proven dozens of times now that I am unable to flash any image altered with dragonface, whether by me or now by someone else. Thomas' images all flash no problem. Very frustrating.

When flashing the ROM, you will see the progress bar get half way and then display the CODE1 error. It will seemingly stall but it should progress until the end with a CARD OK notification. At that point, you can remove the MicroSD and reboot your head-unit. Let me know if this works. I am still trying to tweak the ROM.

LIx2NG

Apr 25, 2016
I'm still waiting for some answers about new CANBUS apks to add more models, the precise list of FM radio chips available to choose from, and the lists of WiFi dongles that are tested so far.

Maybe its time to show InDashNet how the interest is rising for the units here on XDA and get the 5.1.1 source tree released soon just like the 4.4.4

Note: to those people asking for model specific faceplates, I think like the other OEM Head Units, they just use the faceplates availables in China and can be bought trough aliexpress or taobao (taobao site is completely in chinese, I had bought car pieces there that are not available on aliexpress using the web spreenow wich is in english)

Hi Ruben,

Based on my recent discussion with them, CAN support will be available as a "premium addon". But this is not a firm decision yet and the features are to be defined, as their priority is 5.1.1 release right now. I shall be able to give you (and the forum) more information later (yeah I'm sort of an "insider").

Model-specific units are more than changes of faceplates; the backplain PCB and wiring are customized to fit the factory plugs to enable drop-in replacement. And I don't think they are sourcing from Ali/Taobo because plastic modeling factories/workshops are abundant in Shenzhen area.

Cheers,
LIx2NG

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
Hi Ruben,

Based on my recent discussion with them, CAN support will be available as a "premium addon". But this is not a firm decision yet and the features are to be defined, as their priority is 5.1.1 release right now. I shall be able to give you (and the forum) more information later (yeah I'm sort of an "insider").

Model-specific units are more than changes of faceplates; the backplain PCB and wiring are customized to fit the factory plugs to enable drop-in replacement. And I don't think they are sourcing from Ali/Taobo because plastic modeling factories/workshops are abundant in Shenzhen area.

Cheers,
LIx2NG

Thanks on the update LIx2NG :good: it would be great to have an insider among us
Im really interested, just waiting at least to know that I will be able to keep my Peugeot 307 SWC (steering wheel controls) using Connects2 adaptors like the rest of the Android Head Units:
http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSPG007.2
or
http://www.connects2.co.uk/Product/ProductItem/CTSPG013
Which are basically the same but the second one can keep the OEM backing up sensors sounds, besides the camera image
And, also to know wich FM radio chip options can I ask for, since its actually a radio, it would be great to have a good one

Note: I didnt actually meant that model specific are just faceplate changes (the ISO connector wiring changes for almost every manufacturer and sometimes between models for starters), but some people was asking about the faceplates, and I just tried to point a solution for wanting/needing one and living outside china, and aliexpress/taobao/spreenow has done the trick for me in the past ;)

Thanks again man, Hope to be hearing from you soon, and keep the info flowing, since we are showing a genuine interest here, but there is so little information/updates/pictures/etc from InDashNet, I hope with the release of the 5.1.1 source that will change and the community will dive right in

LIx2NG

Apr 25, 2016
Thanks on the update LIx2NG :good: it would be great to have an insider among us
Im really interested, just waiting at least to know that I will be able to keep my Peugeot 307 SWC (steering wheel controls) using Connects2 adaptors like the rest of the Android Head Units:
Which are basically the same but the second one can keep the OEM backing up sensors sounds, besides the camera image
And, also to know wich FM radio chip options can I ask for, since its actually a radio, it would be great to have a good one
Hi Ruben,

You're welcome! Buttons can be supported if the interface box presents button pushes by different resistence values (traditional analog interface)-- if the values are within supported measurment range of course. I'm not sure about back up sensor beeps though, so let me check with them and get back to you later, also with more information about the radio module... :)

Reactions: CadillacMike

swyner

Dec 30, 2009
Milton
Hi Ruben,

You're welcome! Buttons can be supported if the interface box presents button pushes by different resistence values (traditional analog interface)-- if the values are within supported measurment range of course. I'm not sure about back up sensor beeps though, so let me check with them and get back to you later, also with more information about the radio module... :)

Thanks bud! As mentioned, any help you can provide would be appreciated. We seem to have very slow responses, very limited communication and just overall feels like to get anything done with In Dash Net would take forever. I understand they are a small group and likely trying to meet all the demands of "starting up".

CompletelyNumb

Feb 2, 2012
Calgary
When flashing the ROM, you will see the progress bar get half way and then display the CODE1 error. It will seemingly stall but it should progress until the end with a CARD OK notification. At that point, you can remove the MicroSD and reboot your head-unit. Let me know if this works. I am still trying to tweak the ROM.

I let it sit for 40 minutes at that half way point before I finally gave up. Flashing seems very inconsistent with these apps and HU, though. I can literally burn the same image onto the same SD card with the exact same steps, and it will fail to load about 1/5 times.

kwalsh24

May 1, 2011
Wow I just caught this radio doing a Google search the other day and could hardly find anything about it minus a Google+ posting. Thanks for the efforts thus far!

Just a question tho. The 5.1.1 image with play store what screen resolution is it? As I may be in the market to pickup a universal unit for my gfs Vibe & use it as a test base before replacing my crap newsmy unit

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

rubenjavier

Mar 16, 2016
Madrid
Hi Ruben,

Hello again,
with steering wheel controls (SWC) would be great, since the Connects2 adaptors used for Peugeots do exactly that (convert signals into resistance), I think this would work (it works on all the other Android HeadUnits on the market), so Im assuming that what is needed is to teach the radio the diferent values for the button presses. I sent InDashNet the link to the Connects2 CanBus converters about 10 days ago.
If the Head Unit have a configuration screen for the button presses, that would be great until they develop the Peugeot Preset apk (the Connects2 adaptor works with most brands Head Units like Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc... so the output values for VOL, SRC, PLAY, PAUSE, etc.. must be standard).

Thanks again LIx2NG, I'll be waiting for your inside info,
appreciated

kwalsh24

May 1, 2011
Anyone have one of theses units in a VW jetta or golf? Mk5 body. I'm curious how well the canbus works, if it's internal or external. I've had issues in the past with canbus units for my car not being 100% compatible and curious how this one fair's up. In so tempted to purchase one with the promo that's on right now (save $100 for the development headunit)

touchpt12

Jun 18, 2010
New York, NY
Is Android Auto working with a phone attached? Or is it using the head units Android system and just making a more car friendly UI?

Sent from my SM-G935V using XDA-Developers mobile app

Looks like the Android Auto app is installed on the head unit. I will install it myself and test it out when I can. Will probably upload of it working.

On a side note: Has anyone successfully flashed the ROM w/PlayStore enabled? So far "CompletelyNumb" is the only person unable to flash it and I would like feedback from others. I want to try a different method of compiling the ROM.

kwalsh24

May 1, 2011
How's the sound mixing with the unit? Can radio and nav work at the same time? How about auxiliary in? Does it run in the background ? Does it mix ? This is a must for me in order to purchase.

dunksalot

Apr 28, 2016
Chicago
Ya, I am really concerned about the level of customer support with these guys. I was told today to order the Audi A3 unit but put in my notes it's for Audi TT as they are making that model, just have not updated website. I am fairly sure this is another Chinese company simply based on my communications with them. It's similar to many of the companies like Joying, Pumpkin, etc where you send an email one day, it takes another for them to respond then it doesn't effectively answer your question so you have to respond, wait another day, etc.

I just wish a company would develop a high end Android head with serious R&D on audio quality (FM chip, Amp chip) or borrow from the name brand units. Invest time in making it start up in seconds (MCU development) and get the damn hardware optimized for the Android software. I know Parrot, Clarion, Blaupunkt and Rydeen all had Universal Android head units with exceptional audio quality (6V preout on parrot asteroid) and have many options for "sleep" (up to a week on Blaupunkt). They all ran on Android 2.3 which is now outdated but man, it worked very well as a CAR STEREO first. Anyway, I am ranting (LOL) but come on. There is a market out there for those that want name brand audio quality with Android OS and car specific fascia. Maybe I should start a company?? LOL

You hit the nail on the head there. Start-up should work just like any cell phone - hit a button and swipe. I wish the software bugs were fewer and far between, but we are talking about the complexities of designing a tablet with all the functionalities of a car stereo. When Android releases a new platform, the car stereo market is always going to trail due to the lack of engineering staff and added car stereo functionality complexities. My cell phone has 6.0 and I am still waiting for my car stereo to go 5.1.1.

I also agree in terms of radio quality. My AM/FM Radio is terribly inferior to the (now sitting on a shelf) Delphi stock radio in my car. The evolution of these devices is just coming into their own and despite all the bugs I find myself addicted to my car stereo like my cell phone.

Needless to say the above issues are things I believe InDashNet is working on. I can't wait until 5.1.1 works well so I can use all my favorite killer apps that I cannot yet use - including the ability to tinker with IFTTT functionalities. Of all the Chinese HU vendors I've interacted with, Thomas is the most knowledgeable (and has the best English which helps.)

From all my research there appears to be major differences across a lot of these Chinese vendors. There are dozens of factories. They do not necessarily design any of their HUs. Those go to design houses who the factories sometimes outsource to. For the larger factories, from what I can tell they may not make any of these after-market HUs. They serve the JVCKenwoods, Pioneers, etc. and they have their own in-house designers (as mandated by their contract.) The after-market HUs are manufactured by mid-sized factories (I believe InDashNet falls in between design house and small factory.)

The after-market HU space is diverse and somewhat complex. There are certain factories that make the molds - both for the HU faceplate, chassis, vehicle-specific fascia, etc. That is why you see what appears to be the same exact unit sold by multiple vendors. However, the differences between them all is in their knowledge of how to build the hardware and software cohesively. Of all the vendors I've played with (5 total over the past 2 years - yes I have a problem LOL) this is the best unit so far minus the radio quality and occasional random reboots.

Reactions: kwalsh24

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just heard from Thomas. New update will be released this week addressing many of the issues noted in the log. I hope he provides a change log but he confirmed after this release, he will be moving is efforts to the Google Music and Apple Music issues. Awesome!!
    Thanks man, definitely something I need to look at. This could also explain the frequent 'Optimizing apps' dialog I get, makes me believe it boots with a cleared cache partition if it does. In the meantime, I sincerely hope the Radio-Back-Button-issue is resolved soon, it drives me crazy! :silly:

A quick cure version is coming to remove the 'evil back' function. :) Also the mode/mix audio will be removed.
    Hi all,

Just got a reply from Thomas on the G+ page about some documentation for the OctaCore Developer unit. Here is the literal quote:
    All documents, tools and SW update will be released here:

goo.gl/ROAT9A

"Developer Guide" is also uploaded there.
    direct acess: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8Nj9XViGv_6UFRUbE42YndlOW8/view

For Developer Edition:
    1) No need to get into recovery as in normal booting mode, you can directly push any software into unit by ADB(with root user/right by default).
    2) Best way of re-flash IMG is by PhoenixSuit via USB device(same one of ADB).
    3) If you want to release your IMG, please test it by adb. Then pack your modification by IMG tool Dragonface.

! If your unit is coming with canbus box, you may need to get into factory setting after full IMG re-flash.

I pointed Thomas to XDA, but he seems to use the G+ community for his communications. He wants to create one post that he will update with new information, so we can make a deeplink.
    So in the meantime, go and have a look on his Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B8Nj9XViGv_6TkpERXRJcnNjRFk&usp=drive_web#list
    @rubenjavier, can you update the first post again? Thanks!
    do you get root user right of adb? If yes, you don't need recovery, fastboot etc.
    1) If some thing wrong, you can always re-flash full IMG via USB device/slave to get system back.
    2) Once you get system back, play with adb with root user right is much easier(adb push, adb install).
    3) You can pack your own IMG with the tool DragonFace.

I just got my developers unit and had a chance to try out a few things, but have managed to get it stuck in an infinite boot cycle trying to 'optimize apps' when trying to install the amazon marketplace. I'd like to reflash with the image that includes play services linked on the top post but not sure how to get it into recovery mode. Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance!

---------- Post added at 02:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:58 AM ----------

Ok, I managed to get it into fastboot mode using adb reboot bootloader and I can see the device with the fastboot command. Which partition is ZX8802-51_V3.00IB_PV5R0058_EN.img supposed to be flashed to? I havent had to do this in a while and remember doing it with an update.zip to flashall or having a complete set of img file for the bootloader and radio.

Help! my unit wont boot, just as I was beginning to have some fun.
    Well from what I can see the unit looks promising in its stage. In eager to replace my newsmy and it's so hard not to jump in on the sale they have going on. I'm just a little concerned with the overall development & the FM signal issues. If it's bad in a GM product then it's going to be horrible in my vw with their antenna setup.

Plus I've asked in-dash (not sure who's answering the emails) a couple questions regarding the canbus and the answers haven't been the best. Not really wanting to spend another $600cdn on a radio and find out it's worse then my half functioning newsmy.

Anyone out there with one of these units using it as a daily commuter device? Can they shine some light on the questions I've asked?

Exactly...I have an Audi so I share your concerns with the FM radio reception issues.....it's so frustrating that we as consumers value flashy, bells and whistles, CPU, RAM, OS versions that really do not help a CAR STEREO perform the basic functions first. Not blaming the manufacturers since they just make what the masses want....in this case a "cheaper" car stereo that pretends to be a tablet so you can surf the internet, play games and do all these fancy things while driving (not). There are a few sellers out there (Tommy from AVIN) that actually know what I am talking about and spend time optimizing the Android based head unit for it's core functions of playing music, providing GPS. They also understand that choosing proper hardware first is key....you can do all you want to the software but if the damn FM radio chip is garbage, it won't ever work.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone