[INDEX] App Translators - Developers, we translate your apps! [10 Jun 2017]

Search This thread

Oswald Boelcke

Forum Moderator / Recognized Translator
Staff member
Thanks, that was quick! That string actually refers to the system's night mode, as in, "Use the system's night mode setting" to determine whether to enable/disable night mode in the app, vs Manually.
Ok, that's the disadvantage of just sharing strings instead of a usable tool...
Then it has to be "Systemeinstellung" in the string that I just provided by PM.

kingdevil731

Jun 16, 2014
Portugal
codez4gods.cu.ma
@[email protected]@Oswald [email protected]@kingdevil731 @gaich

Thanks. Here's the new strings. Could you please send me a PM with the translations?

<string name="night_mode_use_system">System setting</string>
<string name="night_mode_manually">Manually</string>
<string name="backups_limit_desc">Backups will be limited to the %1$d most recent ones.</string>

Sent pm with translation
Regards;)

gaich

Recognized Translator
Mar 26, 2012
Moscow
gaichtranslations.ru
@novas78 @kubalav @Oswald Boelcke @Mobile46 @kingdevil731 @gaich

Thanks. Here's the new strings. Could you please send me a PM with the translations?

<string name="night_mode_use_system">System setting</string>
<string name="night_mode_manually">Manually</string>
<string name="backups_limit_desc">Backups will be limited to the %1$d most recent ones.</string>
Russian:
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Системные настройки</string>
<string name="night_mode_manually">Вручную</string>
<string name="backups_limit_desc">Количество резервных копий будет ограничено до %1$d последних.</string>

turquoisetools

Mar 9, 2019

Guys, I realized that the string "System setting" has been translated to "settings" instead of "setting", but it should be singular. The context is: "Use the system's night mode setting". So "setting", NOT "settings". I also changed it to "Use system setting" to make it more clear, but also left the old one in case the new one is too long (esp. in German), would be great if you could do both and then I'll check which is best.

<string name="night_mode_use_system">Use system setting</string> <!-- "setting" is singular! -->
<string name="night_mode_use_system_old">System setting</string> <!-- singular here too -->

Last edited:

gaich

Recognized Translator
Mar 26, 2012
Moscow
gaichtranslations.ru

Guys, I realized that the string "System setting" has been translated to "settings" instead of "setting", but it should be singular. The context is: "Use the system's night mode setting". So "setting", NOT "settings". I also changed it to "Use system setting" to make it more clear, but also left the old one in case the new one is too long (esp. in German), would be great if you could do both and then I'll check which is best.

<string name="night_mode_use_system">Use system setting</string> <!-- "setting" is singular! -->
<string name="night_mode_use_system_old">System setting</string> <!-- singular here too -->

İ do not think that singular will sound good. There are many cases when we use the term "system settings", no matter whether it refers to many values or to a single one. Sure, you can use singular, if you want to, but in Russian it will be unusual. İ'd leave the translation as it is.

Reactions: turquoisetools

turquoisetools

Mar 9, 2019
Thanks gaich.

I saw another app use "Set by System", maybe this is better even in English and easier to understand for the user, and it's probably shorter in langs such as German, what do you think?

<string name="night_mode_use_system">Set by System</string>

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member

GERMAN

<string name="night_mode_use_system">Systemeinstellung benutzen</string> <!-- "setting" is singular! -->
<string name="night_mode_use_system_old">Systemeinstellung</string> <!-- singular here too -->
Thanks gaich.

I saw another app use "Set by System", maybe this is better even in English and easier to understand for the user, and it's probably shorter in langs such as German, what do you think?

I think there's quite a difference. In the first case, it's the user's decision/choice to use the system setting. In the latter case, the user has no choice and it's just a statement that something (probably as default) is set by the system.
But anyway, here're some possibilities:
<string name="night_mode_use_system">gemäß System</string>
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Durchs System festgelegt</string>
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Voreinstellung</string>
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Durchs System eingestellt</string>

Last edited:

turquoisetools

Mar 9, 2019
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Durchs System festgelegt</string>

Google Calculator uses "Wird durch Energiesparmo-dus festgelegt" for "Set by Battery Saver" in the exact same context (night mode behavior dialog).

So would "Set by System" be "Wird durch System festgelegt"? Is "Durchs System festgelegt" (shorter) the same?

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
Google Calculator uses "Wird durch Energiesparmo-dus festgelegt" for "Set by Battery Saver" in the exact same context (night mode behavior dialog).

So would "Set by System" be "Wird durch System festgelegt"?
Certainly a valid possibility to the four provided above but this one is even longer.

gaich

Recognized Translator
Mar 26, 2012
Moscow
gaichtranslations.ru

turquoisetools

Mar 9, 2019
Jr, it will be
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Установлено системой</string>
But, as I said above, I do not liket his translation at all.

OK, I don't want to use something you guys don't like. Was "Системные настройки" the one you liked?
@Oswald Boelcke do you like more "Systemeinstellung" or "Durchs System festgelegt" like Google does?

Last edited:

Oswald Boelcke

Staff member
OK, I don't want to use something you guys don't like. Was "Системные настройки" the one you liked?

@Oswald Boelcke do you like more "Systemeinstellung" or "Durchs System festgelegt" like Google does?
The first one...

novas78

Recognized Translator
Nov 25, 2015
I don't remember...

Czech translation
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Použít systémové nastavení</string> <!-- "setting" is singular! -->
<string name="night_mode_use_system_old">Systémové nastavení</string> <!-- singular here too -->

---------- Post added at 18:16 ---------- Previous post was at 18:15 ----------

@novas78 @kubalav @Mobile46 @kingdevil731 @gaich

Could you please translate this one?

...and this one
<string name="night_mode_use_system">Nastaveno systémem</string>

Top Liked Posts

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android