[Index] Kindle Fire HDX 7" & 8.9" (3rd Gen/2013)

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor / XDA Welcome Team
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9"
&
Kindle Fire HDX 7"
3rd Gen/2013

[INDEX]
Helpful Information

Welcome, this thread has been created to encompass everything you may need for your device. Please only post in this thread with feedback on how to improve this document. Do not post "Thank you" type responses. If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread, or create your own thread in the Q&A forum. Do not use this as a general help thread.​
Click on a Link below for More Info

*​
Forum Rules | New Users Guide | XDA Tour | Report Posts

Please look for a similar thread when visiting another device forum.
If you would like to create an [INDEX] please Click Here.

A special thanks to everyone who contributed to the production of this INDEX
Please note: This is and will be, an ongoing WIP

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Basic Device Information

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Official Stock Firmware

Last edited:
Reactions: Draekhost

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods

USB DriversABD and fastboot.exe

Device Tools, Root/Un-root/Un-brick methods

For Fire OS version update-kindle-xx.4.5.2_user_452004120

See Prep your device for CM11 (or Nexus v4) by Davey126
[Rollback][Downgrade][Thor][Apollo] 3.2.8 rollback-OTA captured by ONYXis
You can downgrade from 4.5.5 and earlier version to 3.2.8.
From 3.2.8 you can upgrade to 4.5.2

Note: Using this downgrade method can result in a bricked device, if blocking updates step is not applied. - 25th Nov 2018

root
then see
[RECOVERY][STOCK][LOCKED] Safestrap v4.0.1 by ggow
then you can use roms built for safestrap recovery

Fire OS version below 3.2.4
  • Keep WLAN off/flight mode active to avoid getting updated by Amazon!
Rooting and disabling OTAFlashing Custom Recovery
Updating the Bootloader
Unlock Bootloader
*Be sure to make a backup of your Fire OS in TWRP and move it to your PC before you flash any custom ROM!

Restore Stock with Custom Recovery
Old

Last edited:

rbrown0265

Nov 1, 2015
Noob...

I have the kindle fire hdx (thor) and i have successfully downgraded the os to 3.2.8 and then upgraded it to the 4.5.2 to be rooted. I do not know how to root and install nexus to it and was hoping that there is an in depth tutorial that i could follow. I have looked for one but cannot find one. If anyone could help me or point me in the right direction i would greatly appreciate it. Thanks in advance guys/gals!! Also if it is possible to do with 4.5.5 id rather do that to maintain the most recent update but to be honest i dont know the difference between the os's. I have many apple products that i have jailbroken and customized but this will be my first with kindle/android. I here that the rewards are substantial after rooting. :confused:

Cl4ncy

Jul 9, 2015
@Davey126 gave a good overview here, so read all the info and ask before you brick your HDX! If you don't follow the procedure 100% correctly, you will brick your HDX! @tropicallazerbeams also linked to YouTube videos about Safestrap usage and installation of custom ROMs. Regarding the ROMs, read the installation requirements carefully! Not all ROMs are Safestrap v4 compatible (e.g. CM12 and SlimLP which require an unlocked bootloader).
Note that you must keep WLAN off/flight mode active during the down-/and-then-update procedure, getting updated by Amazon by OTA will brick your HDX!
I see you're on 4.5.2 already? You can skip the related info then, and go directly to the rooting with Kingroot.
Kingroot requires a short internet connection, so just enable it to root, and disable right after success! Otherwise you will get updated to 4.5.5. and have to do the whole down- and upgrade process again, with all the risks!
After successful rooting you can install Safestrap v4 and use eiter Nexus or CM11. Now while CM11 works in secondary slots it is recommended to use the stock slot due to higher battery usage of secondary slots (Nexus works in the stock slot only - WLAN won't work in secondary slots). Do NOT restore a backup of a secondary slot to the stock slot! This will overwrite Safestrap files and will brick the HDX!
Again: any questions please ask first. ;)

Reactions: sd_shadow

Antonntminh

Dec 30, 2011
Hi, I just got a new Kindle HDX 7, sơ could you help me to provide the step I should take to install custom ROM.
This is what I read so far:
1- Rollback to 3.2.8
2- Root
3- Unlock bootloader
4- Install TWRP
5- Backup
6- Flash Custom Rom
is that correct?
thanks

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Hi, I just got a new Kindle HDX 7, sơ could you help me to provide the step I should take to install custom ROM.
This is what I read so far:
1- Rollback to 3.2.8
2- Root
3- Unlock bootloader
4- Install TWRP
5- Backup
6- Flash Custom Rom
is that correct?
thanks
Yes. Take time reading through the forums to understand procedures, cautions and risks. Particularly around the 3.2.8 rollback. If the device takes an OTA update while on 3.2.8 it will hard brick with no known recovery. Keep WiFi off (and airplane/flight mode engaged) except for brief intervals (15-30 sec max) while securing root. See associated threads for more detail.

Reactions: Antonntminh

Antonntminh

Dec 30, 2011
Don't know anything about the unsafe method, never tried it. Try the full routine again, but don't skip anything (can't think why you'd do that ???), if all goes well you should have a rooted system (Amazon update proofed, so you don't lose root) + TWRP recovery. --- J.
Thanks for answer, I just follow tue guide to using safetrap and installed Fire Nexus successfully, as what sd_shadow wrote in his post, seem like those has firmware 4.5.2 has to downgrade, then upgrade the root, install safetraps... And I has succesfully follow that guide.
Although, I want to know that If I can install twrp, unlock bootloader and flash other custom ROM, cause I would like to get MM on HDX
Again, thanks for reading and answering my questions :)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

DB126

Oct 15, 2013
Thanks for answer, I just follow tue guide to using safetrap and installed Fire Nexus successfully, as what sd_shadow wrote in his post, seem like those has firmware 4.5.2 has to downgrade, then upgrade the root, install safetraps... And I has succesfully follow that guide.
Although, I want to know that If I can install twrp, unlock bootloader and flash other custom ROM, cause I would like to get MM on HDX
Yes, you can do all these things. If Safestrap v4 is currently installed the device is rooted; no need to rollback. Details are in the various forum threads; I don't propose to summarize and duplicate here. Start with the thread below. Ask specific questions as needed.

Unlocking is not for the faint of heart and involves more challenges than Safestrap. However, it is not dangerous to try as failed unlock attempt does not put your device or its contents at risk. Good luck!

http://xdaforums.com/kindle-fire-hdx/general/thor-unlocking-bootloader-firmware-t3463982

Reactions: Antonntminh

sd_shadow

Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Amazon Fire
If you have additional questions or require more help, try to find an existing thread, or create your own thread in the Q&A forum. Do not use this as a general help thread.

Sent from my XT1254 using XDA Labs

nexusguy4

Feb 12, 2016
My understanding is that this method has been deemed dangerous and surpassed via newer methods like like placing the device in bulk mode and writing directly to the presented partition. If that is correct, remove the sticky?

Top Liked Posts