• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!
  • Fill out your device list and let everyone know which phones you have!    Edit Your Device Inventory

[Index] Motorola Flashing Utilities and Firmware (Unbrick Your Moto)

Search This thread

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
Hello! I wonder if you could help me out...

I'm currently trying to relock the bootloader of my motorola one P30 Play (XT1941-3 deen RETBR).

First, I flashed the latest stock rom available (PPKS29.68-16-21-14 with the October security patch) and ran the fastboot oem lock commands just as below:

fastboot getvar max-sparse-size
fastboot oem fb_mode_set
fastboot flash partition gpt.bin
fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img
fastboot flash modem_a NON-HLOS.bin
fastboot flash fsg_a fsg.mbn
fastboot erase modemst1
fastboot erase modemst2
fastboot flash dsp_a adspso.bin
fastboot flash logo_a logo.bin
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot flash system_b system_b.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system_b system_b.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash vendor_a vendor.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash oem_a oem.img
fastboot flash oem_b oem_other.img
fastboot erase cache
fastboot erase userdata
fastboot erase DDR
fastboot oem fb_mode_clear

fastboot oem lock
fastboot oem lock
fastboot flash oem oem.img
fastboot flash oem_b oem_other.img
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.2
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.3
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.4
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.5
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.6
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.7
fastboot flash system_a system.img_sparsechunk.8
fastboot flash system_b system_b.img_sparsechunk.0
fastboot flash system_b system_b.img_sparsechunk.1
fastboot flash boot_a boot.img
fastboot oem lock
fastboot reboot

Then I had this error:
(Still require signed boot.img)

I rebooted the phone, went to unlock the developer options and check the oem settings and saw this:
(OEM Unlock is greyed out and on unlocked position)

Rebooted back into the bootloader so I could then lock it, but now I keep getting this error:
('Check OEM Unlock' in Android Setting > Developer Options)

Could anyone help me?
Try reflashing firmware again

Reactions: NM99

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
Do you think it's worth the risk relocking it?
My main concern is not being able to update to Android 10 in a few months time, hence why I wanted to relock it.
As long a it full stock firmware, that hasn't been downgraded, nor rooted, you can allow updates or just flash the full firmware when it's leaked..
Really the biggest issues have been when the firmware has been downgraded, then the update may brick it.

NM99

Mar 21, 2013
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
facebook.com
As long a it full stock firmware, that hasn't been downgraded, nor rooted, you can allow updates or just flash the full firmware when it's leaked..
Really the biggest issues have been when the firmware has been downgraded, then the update may brick it.

I did a downgrade once when my phone couldn't get out of the bootloader screen. Then it updated via OTA, then I had to manually install one security update and the next one went via OTA, so I dont know what happened.

Also, my commands for flashing and locking bootloader are correct?

EDIT: I forgot to say that another reason of wanting to lock the bootloader is because I can't use Google Pay nor Netflix anymore.

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
I did a downgrade once when my phone couldn't get out of the bootloader screen. Then it updated via OTA, then I had to manually install one security update and the next one went via OTA, so I dont know what happened.

Also, my commands for flashing and locking bootloader are correct?

EDIT: I forgot to say that another reason of wanting to lock the bootloader is because I can't use Google Pay nor Netflix anymore.
Use the flash all.bat then retry the relocking commands again

NM99

Mar 21, 2013
São Paulo - SP - Brazil
facebook.com
@sd_shadow

I just reflashed the firmware and ran the "fastboot oem lock" but all I got was the same thing from yesterday:

View attachment 4858943

Decided to try "fastboot oem unlock" and this is what I'm getting right now:
View attachment 4860017

Did the whole reconfiguration of my cellphone and the OEM Unlock on the Developers menu is still greyed out and it says that it's unlocked, but meanwhile, I ran this command: "adb shell getprop sys.oem_unlock_allowed" and I got this:
View attachment 4860031

0 means it's locked (if it was unlocked, it should give me 1), so right now I'm wondering what the :eek: I can do. I don't remember having such a hard time in relocking the bootloader on the lenovo Vibe K5 and the Moto G5 but I might be wrong.

EDIT: Also, I just took a look at the OEM Unlock switch and it is positioned to the left, in the locked position, but it says it's unlocked. ADB command above returns 0 as answer...

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
@sd_shadow

I just reflashed the firmware and ran the "fastboot oem lock" but all I got was the same thing from yesterday:

Decided to try "fastboot oem unlock" and this is what I'm getting right now:

Did the whole reconfiguration of my cellphone and the OEM Unlock on the Developers menu is still greyed out and it says that it's unlocked, but meanwhile, I ran this command: "adb shell getprop sys.oem_unlock_allowed" and I got this:

0 means it's locked (if it was unlocked, it should give me 1), so right now I'm wondering what the :eek: I can do. I don't remember having such a hard time in relocking the bootloader on the lenovo Vibe K5 and the Moto G5 but I might be wrong.

EDIT: Also, I just took a look at the OEM Unlock switch and it is positioned to the left, in the locked position, but it says it's unlocked. ADB command above returns 0 as answer...
If you still haven't relocked

Look at this
https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5-plus/help/problem-locking-t3801320
flash either stock or a stock-based rom along with Magisk and enable OEM unlock in the dev options and the you should be able to re-lock.

Sent from my mata using XDA Labs

gmmatt0

Jan 3, 2017
Xiaomi Poco X3 Pro
Bootloader message " D:\System\Moto G6 Ali\ROMS\Pie>mfastboot oem lock begin
(bootloader) Check 'Allow OEM Unlock' in Android Settings > Developer
(bootloader) Options
OKAY [ 0.002s]
finished. total time: 0.003s "

But i've 100% of sure that de oem option is activated in developer settings , what should i do ?

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
hi @sd_shadow
can the latest bootloader on the razr m XT907 be unlocked? which versions of android on this phone can have the bootloader unlocked? thank you

XT907 with kernel date July 2014 or after
can be unlocked with sunshine app
http://theroot.ninja/download.html
xda thread: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2792487

free to test compatibility, $25 to unlock
I would root with hydrogen peroxide, even though kingroot or temporary root should work too

If the kernel is older than July 2014 there is a free method.

[GUIDE][FAQ][KK] How to Root, Boot Unlock & More

Sent from my ali using XDA Labs

sabotage154

Apr 24, 2011
XT907 If the kernel is older than July 2014 there is a free method.

[GUIDE][FAQ][KK] How to Root, Boot Unlock & More

hi sd_shadow, thank you for this. i was on 98.30.1. searched your post and found out i could not use motopocalypse while on 98.30.1. i upgrade to KK DA20.62-10.1 and successfully rooter using towel root, installed su, and unlocked BL with motopocalypse. YES!! however from my understanding the KK BL doesnt play well with the nougot custom roms i want to install. I saw on your thread you had told a previous user to downgrade using rsdlite. i found a JB firmware VZW_XT907_4.1.2-9.8.1Q-66_1FF.xml and flashed that using rsdlite but bricked the device. some security error: update gpt_main version failed. i thought with unlocked BL i could just flash any firmware as is but i have noticed some users say the XML file has to be modified. i found a user that downgraded from KK to JB here but i cant find the firmware he says to use, its the one i was actually on before i upgraded to unlock BL. 98.30.1. his post has a zip attached to it with an XML file that has been modified. can i just replace the XML file on the VZW_XT907_4.1.2-9.8.1Q-66_1FF.xml firmware and flash it that way? whats the best way to get back to JB? thank you

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
hi sd_shadow, thank you for this. i was on 98.30.1. searched your post and found out i could not use motopocalypse while on 98.30.1. i upgrade to KK DA20.62-10.1 and successfully rooter using towel root, installed su, and unlocked BL with motopocalypse. YES!! however from my understanding the KK BL doesnt play well with the nougot custom roms i want to install. I saw on your thread you had told a previous user to downgrade using rsdlite. i found a JB firmware VZW_XT907_4.1.2-9.8.1Q-66_1FF.xml and flashed that using rsdlite but bricked the device. some security error: update gpt_main version failed. i thought with unlocked BL i could just flash any firmware as is but i have noticed some users say the XML file has to be modified. i found a user that downgraded from KK to JB here but i cant find the firmware he says to use, its the one i was actually on before i upgraded to unlock BL. 98.30.1. his post has a zip attached to it with an XML file that has been modified. can i just replace the XML file on the VZW_XT907_4.1.2-9.8.1Q-66_1FF.xml firmware and flash it that way? whats the best way to get back to JB? thank you
Usually RSD Lite just works, but if you get errors
You need to use Fastboot.exe
Just skip the gpt.bin command
See [GUIDE][FAQ][KK] How to Root, Boot Unlock & More
Firmware links
https://mirrors.lolinet.com/firmware/moto/_obsoleted_/2012/scorpion-mini/official/VZW/

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
If your phone doesn't boot normally then it's either because

There's no rom on your device - flash the entire stock firmware (see flashing firmware on first post & link to firmware)

Or you may need to wipe misc partition

Try seeing if your phone boots normally by first putting it fastboot mode (switch phone off then hold Vol down & power button) then select start normally from the menu options (use volume keys to navigate menu & power button to select)

If it boots normally from that menu but not when you restart normally or you want to try wiping the misc partition anyway see below thread
https://forum.xda-developers.com/g5/how-to/fix-phone-reboots-recovery-mode-started-t3705325

https://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=82115205&postcount=553

Last edited:

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power
No command screen, how to enter stock recovery

Android 5.x Lollipop Steps

1. Ensure the device is powered off, and unplugged

2. Press and hold the Volume Down button and Power button (located on the right edge of the device) for approximately 3 seconds then release.

3. From the "Boot Mode Selection Menu" screen, select Recovery.

Note: Use the Volume Down button to scroll through the menu options and the Volume Up button to select.

4. From the "No Command" screen (Android figure lying on his back), press and hold the Power button then press and release the Volume Up button to display the menu options

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/indevice_detail/a_id/98998/p/30,6720,9146

Last edited:
Reactions: Ruuel

Pained

Oct 5, 2020
Hi, where i find last firmware? My moto g7 plus have June update of android 10, could i downgrade firmware for other or i need to update this firmware for solve "baseband not found"? The phone is with wifi and SIM card of the carrier not working.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Moto X4
Moto G7 Power

Top Liked Posts