• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

[Index] XDA 2021: Navigating the New Forum App

Search This thread

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
How do I search in this thread or others? I cant see search option.
And the first unread button doesnt appear in any thread...
This option is not implemented in the app (yet). You for now, you can only search "This thread" in the search settings when you are using a browser.

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Essential Phone
Multi Quote

Screenshot_20201214_072455.jpg

Screenshot_20201214_072531.jpg

5157057[/ATTACH]

Screenshot_20201214_072706.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201214_072617.jpg
    Screenshot_20201214_072617.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 40

Spannaa

Recognized Contributor / Themer
Just installed the new version of the xda app.
Looking good so far (y)
The update not available for me in the UK yet - maybe because Google is splitting us from the EU because of brexit!

Hopefully it's better than the previous version - mobile on chrome works better and jumps to the latest post in bolded threads without additional clicks.

Reactions: woodman and It_ler

It_ler

Recognized Contributor
Aug 23, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S8
Samsung Galaxy S10
The update not available for me in the UK yet - maybe because Google is splitting us from the EU because of brexit!

Hopefully it's better than the previous version - mobile on chrome works better and jumps to the latest post in bolded threads without additional clicks.
I installed the new version directly via attachment of svetius' post here:
Guys,

We have a new version of the app which should fix the login issue, as well as others. In fact, here is the changelog, and the APK is attached. Please test!!

View attachment 5160237
It is not yet available via Play store.

NardVa

Mar 20, 2011
Any way to watch or follow an entire forum? Like we could in the old app. With the new app you can only watch or follow a specific thread.

Golf c

Jan 4, 2015
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Really fantastic app. Blows away labs. Reliable, aesthetically fantastic, alerts that work.
That being said you have a lot of work ahead to make it more intuitive and useable. I look forward to future updates and useability improvements.

Reactions: Badger50

sd_shadow

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2011
South Dakota
goo.gl
Motorola Droid X
Essential Phone
Any way to watch or follow an entire forum? Like we could in the old app. With the new app you can only watch or follow a specific thread.
See post #2 in

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
I'll do a proper search in browser later but might as well ask now...

The descriptions and images in the thread OPs imply that bookmarking threads should be working but in my case it is not. Bookmarked threads persist only until the app is closed and swiped from recents (left logged in). When the app is restarted the bookmarked threads are gone but bookmarked posts persist so I work around this by bookmarking the first post of a given thread. Is this a known issue?

@sd_shadow, once again thank you for the diligently collected and well-presented chunks of knowledge.

woodman

Senior Moderator / Moderator & RC-RT Committees
Staff member
Jul 21, 2012
France
OnePlus 7T
Bookmarked threads persist only until the app is closed and swiped from recents (left logged in). When the app is restarted the bookmarked threads are gone
Good catch! I can confirm this bug and I don't think it was a known issue. I didn't notice any report of it yet in the New app feedback thread.
Thanks!
By the way maybe this is too late for me and I'm getting tired but I can't seem to find a way to bookmark an entire thread from the site through a browser. Seems like bookmarking a thread is an app thing only and that might give us a clue why they are not persistent in the app?

Pinging @the_scotsman

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Good catch! I can confirm this bug and I don't think it was a known issue. I didn't notice any report of it yet in the New app feedback thread.
Thanks!
By the way maybe this is too late for me and I'm getting tired but I can't seem to find a way to bookmark an entire thread from the site through a browser. Seems like bookmarking a thread is an app thing only and that might give us a clue why they are not persistent in the app?

Pinging @the_scotsman

I'm surprised no one has reported it considering that thread bookmarks make a reasonable replacement for the old subscribed-threads-sorted-by-most-recent-post list. In fact IIRC, weren't thread bookmarks frequently requested in the past?

So in addition to wondering why you can't make a horse drink after you've let it to water, this also has me wondering if, in spite of the fact that you could reproduce it quickly, it may occur only in some circumstances. In any event I can log it if need be.

Likewise, I found no similar reports in the other thread, and also looked for bookmarks in the web interface to no avail, not in various user-based settings or elsewhere. I think you are right about the app and the web interface seeing different pieces of the whole.

Changing topics, something I realized while writing this post, the dynamics of text selection and editing (the management of the text box and cursor) could be better, that is too say less smart. In some cases it's trying to be too smart. EG Upon maximising a keyboard or voice typing the cursor is off screen and it is smart enough to scroll to cursor upon typing by voice or fingers but sometimes the way this occurs puts a functionally significant button underneath where the finger is expecting it to tap a text field or cursor. Some of this is most likely device-dependent, such as how much space the keyboard is using but I've seen it on different combinations. Will play with this when I have time and enjoy the much better overall responsiveness of thread interactions in the meantime

the_scotsman

Assistant Forum Admin
Staff member
Jan 30, 2006
NSW, Australia
Samsung Galaxy Note 20 Ultra
Thanks!

Pinging @the_scotsman
Yea, I can confirm this too. Not sure what the intended plan is for bookmarks in relation to post/thread/site/app.

I'll list this in the issues discussion for the team to look at.

IronTechmonkey

Recognized Contributor
Feb 12, 2013
Yea, I can confirm this too. Not sure what the intended plan is for bookmarks in relation to post/thread/site/app.

I'll list this in the issues discussion for the team to look at.

FWIW, there is an existing way to achieve the desired effect by using bookmarked posts, labels, and filters. This may require use of the web UI to configure (I've not fully tested) but once set up it can be use in either web UI or app.

- Bookmark first post of a thread (I did this part in labs app and added labels later in web UI but if this is done in web browser the label can be added at the time the bookmark is created) and the following steps would not be necessary).

- (If need be) Go to bookmarks (in web browser; click username/avatar > click Bookmarks).

- (If need be) Add a label to said bookmark (done in web browser; gear icon > edit > enter label > save).

Then, within the app or within a web browser the list of bookmarked posts can be filtered to show only the labeled first posts which are serving as thread bookmarks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gary_O and woodman

Top Liked Posts