Question Inferior phone and voicemail apps (Google Fi)

Search This thread

Cubeology

May 21, 2011
Riverside
My question is how can I get a feature-rich phone/voicemail app for my new Samsung? My new flip was bought through Google Fi and the phone dialer and voicemail apps are vastly inferior to the app on my previous two phones also from Fi where these functions were integrated into one app. The old app or one very similar is in the play store as "Phone by Google" but when installed on the Flip the voicemail features are disabled and the option to turn them on in settings is greyed out. I interpret this to mean that Samsung has placed some kind of lock on this feature. Right now I can get transcription but it requires an awkward workaround that sends the voicemail to the text messaging app.

I would be happy if I could either get the Google app to work or another app with similar capabilities. When I speak of capabilities I would include transcription of voicemails and the ability to take actions on a phone number from the voicemail without having to memorize the number, navigate to the separate phone app, manually find the number, and finally take whatever actions such as blocking the number. As it stands I can't get the Google app to work and I do not see any viable alternatives in the play store and even if there were alternatives I would probably have the same problem with the voicemail blocked.

Matterhorn

Nov 29, 2004
Google Pixel 3
My question is how can I get a feature-rich phone/voicemail app for my new Samsung? My new flip was bought through Google Fi and the phone dialer and voicemail apps are vastly inferior to the app on my previous two phones also from Fi where these functions were integrated into one app. The old app or one very similar is in the play store as "Phone by Google" but when installed on the Flip the voicemail features are disabled and the option to turn them on in settings is greyed out. I interpret this to mean that Samsung has placed some kind of lock on this feature. Right now I can get transcription but it requires an awkward workaround that sends the voicemail to the text messaging app.

I would be happy if I could either get the Google app to work or another app with similar capabilities. When I speak of capabilities I would include transcription of voicemails and the ability to take actions on a phone number from the voicemail without having to memorize the number, navigate to the separate phone app, manually find the number, and finally take whatever actions such as blocking the number. As it stands I can't get the Google app to work and I do not see any viable alternatives in the play store and even if there were alternatives I would probably have the same problem with the voicemail blocked.
I agree that the Samsung dialer is inferior to the google dialer. I switched to the google dialer but the back screen doesn't work properly with calls. I switched back to the Samsung dialer which seems 10 years old.

mt2020

Sep 13, 2009
I use Google phone dialer, haven't noticed any issues. When I was with Verizon, messages showed up fine as VM, but no transcription as wasn't supported on the plan I had. Switched to Tmobile, VM stopped working, they made me download their VM app, so I'm guessing service you are on dictates which app and how VM works. Because of this I've gone back to forwarding all VM to Google Voice and now get my transcripts and ability to archive VM, as well as forward and many other svs. Only negative I've had is if I call back the caller from GV, it uses their number, not the carrier number. Most of the time the caller leaves a different number to call back anyway, so I have to copy past from the transcription. So, if I can one click to call back, I just go back to the dialer, look for missed call, and call them back from there if the call back number js the same. I keep GV set on do not disturb so I'm never bothered with calls to that number, and still use GV to make all calls to people I don't want to have my cell, and when they call me it goes to VM automatically. Google Phone Dialer has also done an excellent job keeping spam from reaching me, I can't use the Google call intercept to verify caller, Pixel feature only, but the spam blocker seems to still work great.