• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General [Info] ASUS ZenFone 8

Search This thread

moist_line

Sep 18, 2014
Can someone verify if there will be a USA release? The current spec sheet doesnt have compatible 5g bands for T-Mobile.

LeDiable

Feb 18, 2010
Mumbai
The battery life seems really pitiful and with that 33w lackluster charging I do not feel it's that great a device these paid reviewers are making it to be. 5.5 hours SOT is not something to boast about.

It would've been perfect if ASUS would've chosen the Snapdragon 870, which makes sense considering the mediocre cameras that don't even need the DSP of the 888 and almost equal performance to it and much better throttling/thermals and battery efficiency.

So sad.

TheArt.

What do you want to use it with? Ubuntu?
No, Ubuntu is not feasible at the moment, unfortunately their OS is not compatible with many phones and they do not have all the apps. Yes, I know you were ironic, btw.

FYI, I would like to use it with LineageOS or similar ROMs, without gapps, for a variety of reasons:
  • Because I do not need most of Google apps and services;
  • Because Google Play Services eats battery doing things I do not want to,;
  • Because I like having more control of what is happening on my devices;
  • There are also a privacy concern which is real, Rob Braxman on YouTube can tell you more about that.

Regarding my initial question (that you haven't replied), I suppose I will keep monitoring the XDA and 4pda forums and see how things will evolve.

marvi0

May 23, 2008
?
When is the phone going to be released in the UK? Cannot find any information whatsoever?

NisseGurra

Nov 22, 2005
Xiaomi Mi Pad 4
OnePlus 8T
Its on sale from number of stores here in sweden

nilezon

Jan 30, 2008
I got my 16/256 Zenfone 8 yesterday, its an gem. Very snappy and well built.
Need the bootloader unlock tool from asus to unlock full potential tho.
Did you try any of Asus previously published unlock apps? For example, this one looks rather generic:

EDIT:
I was right, I think.
Asus actually published the same unlock tool under the ZS690KS folder:

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts