General [Info] ASUS ZenFone 8

Search This thread

s.hebbar

May 17, 2021
Getting ok battery life, not good, not bad. Around 40 min per 10% battery
Please post some Screenshots with Screen on time. I am planning to upgrade from One plus 7pro since I need small phone factor. Also. Please tell me about the call quality.
I'm surprised that OP too has 4000mah battery with bigger screen of 90hz & 2k resolution & yet manage to get 6hr SOT. So zenfone 8 should be better considering these aspects. But I see reviews with only 4.5hrs SOT. May be future ROMs will fix this issue. What say?

Just placed my order.

Have 14 days to try it out and to see if it will replace my IPhone 12 mini.

So, got the phone yesterday and I'm going to send it back today :)

Two main things that put me off: dimensions, mainly weight and missing notifications. The first one is purely personal since I've small hands but the second grippe is something I don't understand how can Asus ship a phone in this state. No Gmail notifications even after tinkering around the settings to exclude the app from the "optimization" engine. I read in some review that this behaviour extends also to the alarm clock so imagine the consequences in the morning...Simply don't have the time to wait for this to be solved via an update since it would be my main phone.

Extremely smooth scrolling due to the 120hz but you need to lock it permanently since the auto setting introduces lag in multiple occasions. Battery life seems ok but had it only for a short while with no SIMs inside.

Since the transfer from my Iphone to this would involve a lot of effort (have an E-SIM on the Iphone that would need to be "reborned" as a physical one) plus the usual Whatsapp transfer mess, and I'm not particular unhappy with IOS (I still have a preference for Android for the notifications and the sharing functions), I decided to send it back.

The quest for an Android compact phone continues but dare I say that the Iphone 12 mini is probably the best phone for me? Enough battery life to last me a day, smooth as butter despite 60Hz refresh rate and no bugs. Now, if the IOS 14.4.1 jailbreak could be announced, I would be in heaven.

So, got the phone yesterday and I'm going to send it back today :)

Two main things that put me off: dimensions, mainly weight and missing notifications. The first one is purely personal since I've small hands but the second grippe is something I don't understand how can Asus ship a phone in this state. No Gmail notifications even after tinkering around the settings to exclude the app from the "optimization" engine. I read in some review that this behaviour extends also to the alarm clock so imagine the consequences in the morning...Simply don't have the time to wait for this to be solved via an update since it would be my main phone.

Extremely smooth scrolling due to the 120hz but you need to lock it permanently since the auto setting introduces lag in multiple occasions. Battery life seems ok but had it only for a short while with no SIMs inside.

Since the transfer from my Iphone to this would involve a lot of effort (have an E-SIM on the Iphone that would need to be "reborned" as a physical one) plus the usual Whatsapp transfer mess, and I'm not particular unhappy with IOS (I still have a preference for Android for the notifications and the sharing functions), I decided to send it back.

The quest for an Android compact phone continues but dare I say that the Iphone 12 mini is probably the best phone for me? Enough battery life to last me a day, smooth as butter despite 60Hz refresh rate and no bugs. Now, if the IOS 14.4.1 jailbreak could be announced, I would be in heaven.
Want to install Android 12 beta first? See if that fixes your notification woes?

reynart

Jan 1, 2008
I will be returning this phone as well, there are more issues with it than I anticipated (did factory reset to be sure):

- For 4000 mAh battery life is not great.
- Phone is quite heavy for its size.
- The fingerprint reader is not working reliably even after repeated finger registering.
- Sometimes the phone body gets hot even when nothing demanding is running.
- I was unable to add my Debit Card to Google Pay due to security risks saying my phone is modified or rooted (working flawlessly on my other phones).
- Was expecting better Camera photos after positive reviews.

Guess I will wait for Pixel 6 hoping it will be compact as its predecesor.

mickey36736

Jan 10, 2013
Chiang Mai
Asus Zenfone 9

Can be the first gcam?
I added a workaround with stream config to avoid freezing issue.
But astro mode may not work due to exposure limit from this stream.
Asus is working on a fix to solve buffer issue. This issue is common for Snapdragon 888 devices (such as S21 Ultra and Mi 11) and OEM slowly fix the issue

FYI, I would like to use it with LineageOS or similar ROMs, without gapps, for a variety of reasons:
  • Because I do not need most of Google apps and services;
  • Because Google Play Services eats battery doing things I do not want to,;
  • Because I like having more control of what is happening on my devices;
  • There are also a privacy concern which is real, Rob Braxman on YouTube can tell you more about that.

Regarding my initial question (that you haven't replied), I suppose I will keep monitoring the XDA and 4pda forums and see how things will evolve.
I would love to see LineageOS on that phone.

Reactions: Ati_gangster

Top Liked Posts