[INFO] [Exynos] Note 8 - Exynos - N950F/FD - OEM Unlock Option available?

Search This thread

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
How do I get straight to recovery from the bootloader. The only key option that will get me out of there is power+volume down. I cant shut the phone down with power and if I hold power+volume up+ bixby it doesn't go over to recovery either. Just stays on bootloader. I've tried both for more than a minute. Strange that it wont let me shut down from bootloader...

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I've tried for the third time, no matter how fast I move over to up, bixby and power it doesn't go into recovery and instead goes right to the installing update screen. I'll try the reset from recovery after it boots and then go to the bootloader from there and flash the csc. Might try a factory csc and see if it lets me go back to recovery.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
How do you push up and down at the same time? I tried a reset from recovery and then flashing the csc, failed again to go back to recovery and it insisted on going to the install software screen where it died off at 32% and punted me over to the recovery. I went ahead and wiped cached and reset/rebooted and no joy. During the boot process it loads some carrier software and I'm wondering if that is carrying a payload. It doesn't allow you to skip it and it remained after installed the entire UK firmware.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
I just flashed everything, bootloader, csc, sc, ap, with your csc and using the UK firmware which is known to have the switch available. No joy. I tried to get it from the BL straight to the recovery and no luck. It seems as if it is set to only be able to go from the bootloader to boot, during one of my efforts I tried to interrupt it as soon as it began booting by holding power and no joy. What happens is I go to the software update screen no matter what I do, this will run to 32% where it will show error. It hangs there for a minute and then punts me to recovery. One thing I just noticed on this round is that just before you get kicked over to the stock recovery it shows "erasing" which I'm assuming is the CSC changes we're trying to make.

I'm down to 31% battery which is too low to continue flashing. I'll be game for more later if someone has an idea of something else to try.

eaglerazor123

Inactive Recognized Developer
Oct 8, 2009
TS07
I just flashed everything, bootloader, csc, sc, ap, with your csc and using the UK firmware which is known to have the switch available. No joy. I tried to get it from the BL straight to the recovery and no luck. It seems as if it is set to only be able to go from the bootloader to boot, during one of my efforts I tried to interrupt it as soon as it began booting by holding power and no joy. What happens is I go to the software update screen no matter what I do, this will run to 32% where it will show error. It hangs there for a minute and then punts me to recovery. One thing I just noticed on this round is that just before you get kicked over to the stock recovery it shows "erasing" which I'm assuming is the CSC changes we're trying to make.

I'm down to 31% battery which is too low to continue flashing. I'll be game for more later if someone has an idea of something else to try.

Try the apk provided in the above post.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Install attached app and open. Does it have unlock option

Nope, I tried once and then again with debugging enabled. The first time it didn't do anything when I hit open, the second time with debugging it took me to the developer section but the option was not there.

Appreciate your taking the time btw...

---------- Post added at 12:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:26 PM ----------

Think we could ADB it? I've got to charge for now but if we could reboot into recovery instead of being forced into boot we can at least test if a reset before booting works.

$-MONARCH-$

Sep 19, 2017
Selangor
Y'all see this? Samsung mofos removed the button for Singaporean region. Flashing different ROM ain't gonna to work. Anyone with the Indian, Malaysian or Korean set are welcome to give a shot. Did y'all get only Singaporean F/FDs?

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
If you meant Toggle unlock with adb then it won't work without root access. Samsung have long ago implement it

No, I mean flash the new CSC and then use ADB to boot directly into recovery so we can do a reset and see if it works. Right now the flash isn't taking, it's being erased before boot and a force to boot seems to be implemented after flashing. Resetting isn't going to do anything because no changes were made anyways and we're not being allowed to reset before the reboot. Perhaps rebooting from the BL into the recovery from ADB is a way to prevent it from doing the erase before we can reset assuming of course it will allow the phone to reboot to recovery with ADB.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

Y'all see this? Samsung mofos removed the button for Singaporean region. Flashing different ROM ain't gonna to work. Anyone with the Indian, Malaysian or Korean set are welcome to give a shot. Did y'all get only Singaporean F/FDs?

I don't think any Korean owners are reporting they don't have it and several have reported they do have it. One Indian owner has said he has it and I haven't seen anything from a Malaysian owner. At any rate someone who already has the switch has little need to deal with all this BS, they're already where we are trying to go.

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com

Dr Ketan - I remember all of the great work you did back when the Note 5 came out - I am hopeing that you or someone will be able to find a way that we can re-enable the OEM UNLOCK OPTIONS in Developer settings -

it seems so odd to me that Samsun would do this on just certain phones - so many other International N950F phones do not have this problem - do you think this is something that can be fixed or should I return thye phone and try to get a different one?

$-MONARCH-$

Sep 19, 2017
Selangor
No, I mean flash the new CSC and then use ADB to boot directly into recovery so we can do a reset and see if it works. Right now the flash isn't taking, it's being erased before boot and a force to boot seems to be implemented after flashing. Resetting isn't going to do anything because no changes were made anyways and we're not being allowed to reset before the reboot. Perhaps rebooting from the BL into the recovery from ADB is a way to prevent it from doing the erase before we can reset assuming of course it will allow the phone to reboot to recovery with ADB.

---------- Post added at 01:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:25 PM ----------

I don't think any Korean owners are reporting they don't have it and several have reported they do have it. One Indian owner has said he has it and I haven't seen anything from a Malaysian owner. At any rate someone who already has the switch has little need to deal with all this BS, they're already where we are trying to go.

If that truly means like that, Guess not all F/FDs are affected. I'd wait a bit and buy a Malaysian set with a full refund from Singaporean. Like I said, Korean sets are welcome here to help the Singaporean by sharing their ROMs and custom binaries in order to accomplish this mission.

If there is no solution, I think the issue is by hardware design can be neither solved by altering the stock ROM. I truly hope there is a solution here, A lot of these spent $1,000 for a phone is wasted.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Final working OEM Patch Tool posted here

Read section "ROOT Note8 (exynos) For OEM issue devices" on above said link.

As some of you guys may know i left xda long time ago but now i am here only to help the note 8 community for this OEM unlock issue. I have seen not many developers are helping us ( users with the OEM unlock option hidden ) so i think i should share my knowledge here.

Anyway, OEM unlock is dependent on OTA option. Soon I will come with more proofs (screenshots of Samsung code) but still need time to understand the Samsung code, the extant of code i analysed i have concluded that Samsung is not targeting root but unfortunately root is effected ( by root i mean custom recoveries, root, custom Roms and all modifications etc) , Samsung is working on kill switch something like Apple iPhone locking which can not be bypassed (by general users) and to implement this Samsung has to secure the device in every way and OEM Unlock is the first in the list because if OEM is unlocked anyone can flash custom recovery, ROM and your device is gone with all readable data in it. OEM Lock will not allow any package installation other than Samsung signed and in this case Samsung want to take care of your device for you. if you are logged in with Samsung account then in settings search for Find My Mobile, it will help you guys in understanding what i mean. I am still analysing the code and trying to get the event which triggers to show OEM unlock option, It can really be time based or it can be series of some other events but i need time to find it. I hope i can find it. Here is a screenshot to proof this OTA thing

Note: The guys who have rooted their phone please backup efs partition as it has all the info regarding this OEM Unlock. In case its gone off you can restore efs partition in twrp if twrp is available to get it back
    Some Findings.

I dont own a note 8 personally, but ive been digging in the firmware to see what hides OEM . after some searching ive found some interesting stuff that i think should be disabled by rom makers to prevent people from suddenly loosing their OEM unlock this random thing from samsung.

First is framework jar

Code:
    .field public static final DISALLOW_OEM_UNLOCK:Ljava/lang/String; = "no_oem_unlock"

Can be found only on Note 8 firmware inside Android/os/usermanager.smali

Now the other lead is in services.jar a method called enforceUserRestriction it checks for const-string/jumbo v1, "no_oem_unlock" that gets thrown from usermanager.smali in framework.jar , i have no idea why

that method "enforceUserRestriction" can be found in com/android/server/pm/UserManagerService.smali

I remember i read few other mentions to the no_oem_unlock and dissalow_oem in some other places that i cant recall now. maybe this gives an idea why in note 8 firmware OEM gets lost (in my Note 8 port for my J5 it was lost aswell :laugh:)

i dont think this can get back OEM to those who lost it, just figured id share here for rom makers.
    Cliff notes for what will be a super long post... I'm going to respond to some things above me here and I'm getting daily PMs for flashing instructions so I'm going to recap that in the latter portion of this post for those that asked so I don't have to keep retyping it for people one at a time. Those instructions will be super over the top in details because as I learned the other day, some of you are not native English speakers and the extra details help.

As to above comments I'm confident that formatting does not cause problems as suggested and it may in fact help. I say this because I have flashed 3 roms without ever losing my OEM unlock switch for even one second from the time of the first successful flash and each one included a format. That was 13 days ago gents. Been in and out of recovery a number of times and done all the normal stuff we do with a few exceptions. I have not flashed a CSC, I have not flashed a kernal, I have not made any flashes which modify the bootloader. On the other side of the coin as described above I have flashed the BL and CP as part of the light rom installation without any issue. I've also flashed a magisk module that gave functionality to the bixby button. I flashed a navigation bar mod on ketan but I didn't like it so I didn'f flash it on light rom.

Someone above had said that Ketan killed his installation when it rebooted to recovery to install busybox and what I get out of that is that he didn't have a successful flash in the first place because he should have had an OEM unlock switch in the on position from the time he booted but did not. I did. Both my Ketan installations went fine and included the trip to the recovery to flash busybox.

To give this some perspective reading zerenx's post above makes him the 7th person that I know of that is (was in your case zerenx, sorry to hear about the hardware issue :( ) puttering along just fine. They had the OEM unlock from the first minute and it was in the on postion. They can go to recovery, they can reboot, they could do all these things immediately. I did a whole bunch of flashing before we even figured out there was a timer involved here and at first I though it was possible that when I finally succeeded it was because there was something altered by all that flashing. That is not the case. When you have a half dozen people who succeeded and all have different situations entering in you have to figure that we do have what appears to be a working flash method, that it wasn't just a random series of events that caused what should have been a fail to be a successful flash for me alone.

Lets cover a few things we think we know. It appears fairly solid that if you do not flash a rom and only root you will not have an OEM unlock switch when you start up. In this situation you should not leave system for one week until it shows up. A number of people are playing in that sand box now and one has just reported in that once the button comes back things appear to work. I'm hopeful we'll see more reinforcement on that soon as we are just now getting people to a week of system time.

It appears that when the OEM unlock switch is not visible it is also in the off state at least some of the time and there does appear to be a correlation with knox causing this behavior, we'll get back to that. Anyone that flashes a rom which removes the switch from the GUI should wait at least a week before they leave system. There are some people playing in that sandbox as well but none have reported back yet. IMO better to flash a rom that does not hide it to be able to verify it, at least if you want the best hope of avoiding trouble. It also appears that only those who go on to flash a rom have the OEM unlock switch visible immediately. This is likely related to the removal of knox which may be getting queried by Samsung servers at boot. In other words lose knox while the switch is visible and not being set to off status when it isn't visible and the timer is not reset to off for a week. None of this is tested, it just fits the facts we have now.

That's it for the random stuff, about installing the rom. I'm aware that there is a lot of redundancy and steps which should not be needed. This was originally conceived as a kitchen sink, throw anything at it that may somehow derail the binaries error process. You probably don't need the resets except for the last which is good practice for any new rom installation. You shouldn't need to flash verity as it's included in both SU and magisk. This process involves doing those things though because we don't know enough yet to know what to skip. For those that want the highest likelihood of success, follow the process in every detail. I would ask anyone that wants to try something different to please consider following this process exactly except remove one one step you feel is superfluous. In that way we could remove extra steps that are proven to be without merit.

This process BTW was the result of not doing what some had already proven didn't work in front of me and by trying to do what others had suggested might help. I did not come up with this concept on my own. Once you start do not leave recovery. Do not put your sims back in the phone until the other side of the installation process. Whatever you do is on your head, I'm not responsible for any adverse results. You are choosing to follow these instructions and are responsible for the results of your actions. Here then are ridiculously detailed instructions...

1 Download TWRP, verity, magisk or super SU, the rom of your choice that does not hide the OEM unlock toggle
    2 Transfer those files to a micro SD card.
    3 Remove your sim(s) and insert the micro SD.
    4 Go into developer and verify that your OEM switch is visible and in the on position. If it is not visible do not proceed until you have it.
    5 Shut down the phone.
    6 Boot into downloader by holding vol down/bix/power
    7 Open odin and place the TWRP tar in AP
    8 Connect the phone
    9 Place your mouse curser over the start button on odin but DO NOT start it.
    10 Press and hold the vol up/bix/power and do not release them until the entire flash is done and you are in TWRP.
    11 While holding thse buttons use a spare finger to press the mouse button which you already placed over start in odin. The flash will go by quickly.
    12 You are now in TWRP, swipe right to allow modification.
    13 Select wipe.
    14 Select format.
    15 Type yes.
    16 Go back to main menu and select reboot menu.
    17 Select REBOOT RECOVERY, do not go to system.
    18 When back in TWRP after rebooting recovery select wipe at main menu.
    19 Do a factory reset.
    20 Go back to main menu.
    21 Select install.
    22. Flash the verity and encryption disabler.
    23. Go back to main men.
    24. Select wipe.
    25 Do a factory reset.
    26 Go back to main menu.
    27 Select install.
    28 Choose either magisk or SU to flash and install it.
    29 Go back to main menu
    30 Select wipe
    31 Do a factory reset.
    32 At main menu select install and flash your rom IF IT DOES NOT include any lower level flash for the BL, CP etc. If it does include those things do not leave recovery yet, go to step 37.
    33 Go back to main menu
    34 Select wipe.
    35 Factory reset.
    36 Reboot into system. You should be able to connect your wireless network and go through the setup process. Do not reboot until you have completed setup, enabled developer options, verified that you have an OEM unlock switch and that it is on. If it is on you should be able to reboot, go into recovery, etc. You should not flash a CSC, kernal, anything that alters the lower level firmware.
    37 You are here because you are going to flash a lower level file as part of you rom, right now that's going to be light rom and you will need to flash the BL and CP.
    38 You should still be in TWRP but are now going to leave it. Select reboot from the main menu.
    39 Reboot into downloader.
    40 If you still have odin open, reset it.
    41 Place BL in BL in odin.
    42 Connect phone.
    43 Untick reboot in options.
    44 Flash BL.
    45 Reset odin
    46 Put CP in CP.
    47 Connect phone.
    48 Untick reboot in options.
    49 Flash CP.
    50 Reset odin.
    51 Put TWRP in AP
    52 DO NOT uncheck the reboot option, you now want it to reboot after the TWRP flash. Flash TWRP exactly as you did above by holding the buttons while flashing as described in step 9 and on from there to guarantee you boot into TWRP and not system.
    53 You will now continue to follow each step exactly as you did before. Again. All the way up to step 31. At that point you will be at the rom installation stage. As you now have the BL and CP flashed you will continue on with steps 32 through 36. You are done.
    54. Do not place sims back in phone till setup is complete. As soon as it is done you need to enable developer and ensure you have a visible OEM unlock switch and that it is on. If it is you should be good to go. If it is not do not reboot or leave system until it comes back.

A couple tips... Sometimes odin doesn't want to flash multiple files and after you reset it it doesn't see the phone. Reboot your PC and it should work. Leave the phone in download, never leave it except to go directly to recovery. Dont leave recovery until you have completed every step.

Last, if I've forgotten something please let me know. A lot of typing here and it is easy to miss a step. Please study up a little bit on this and make sure you understand what it is you're going to do before you do it.
    @ All OEM affected device users
    I have made a handy tool and posted here on How to root (there is separate section for OEM affected devices)

Tool is made with aroma
    - You can run and select only 'OEM Patch' after flashing any custom ROM for already rooted device.
    - You can Root stock/custom ROM with magisk or SuperSU and Patch OEM
    - If you select to root device (Magisk/SuperSU any of one), it also inject busybox.
Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone