How to root May 7th OTA [ Version M919UVUAMDL ]:
- You can grab Kies for its drivers here.
- Put this on your sdcard before anything, doesn't matter which.
- k0nane's thread on How to use Odin (3.07). Read this thread for further help, your question is most likely answered already.
- Install CWM, TWRP, or OUDHS Custom Recovery through Download mode. [Follow instructions in thread on how to flash them, I recommend OUDHS as that's what I used.]
- Extra words from k0nane for successfully flashing a Custom Recovery in Odin 3.07 for the MDL firmware:
- Boot into the Custom Recovery of your choice. [Power + Volume Up keys when phone is completely turned off and unplugged.]
- Flash ROOT_M919UVUAMDL.zip [Contains the older boot.img with new modules, root, and will stop the annoying "Modified: Reboot Now or Later?" notification from happening.]
- Reboot and enjoy your rooted device on the M919UVUAMDL firmware.
You can flash back to the May 7th OTA boot.img using the entire firmware, or you can flash it in a zip.
***Update - You can now flash a source-compiled TouchWiz kernel that may better fit your needs here. It is compiled off of the MDL defconfig instead of MDB, but using MDB source.
Thanks to Dev ptmr3 for the original boot.img flasher for Custom Recovery.
Thanks to Dev k0nane for assistance through OUDHS IRC and providing some tech-support to forum readers, as well as the great Odin guide.
Thanks to Gadianton for finding information on stopping the Modified notification.