[INFO][LG P920/SU760]Recoveries: GB or ICS? Bootloaders. Recovery loop.

Search This thread

rr46000

Aug 26, 2012
Can u make 1 for optimus l9?

have the same problem cwm touch -6.0.3.1
flashed ur zip
not working
please make 1 for lg optimus l9 p765

5fusion

Oct 2, 2012
OnePlus Nord
Another problem that may arise from the use of recoveries is the "Recovery Loop". If you use ROM Manager to Reboot to recovery or if you use the "Factory Reset" menu option in Android settings, your phone may keep rebooting to recovery, even if you select to reboot to system. This happens because the "Recovery Flag" doesn't get properly cleared. I don't know where this flag is located, so I can't force it to clear, but there is a workaround! Download Universal_RecoveryLoop_Breaker.zip (attached at the end of this post) to your computer. While your phone is in recovery, connect it via USB, select to mount SD to computer and copy the zip to the phone. Eject from computer and flash the zip. Reboot. This is a temporary solution because it will force the phone to boot into system, but as soon as you flash a new recovery you'll still be in the recovery loop. I'll be posting a permanent solution soon. This workaround won't work without Wkpark's bootloader. WARNING: THIS LOOP BREAKER IS FOR THE LG OPTIMUS 3D (P920/SU760). USING IT ON ANY OTHER PHONE WILL MOST PROBABLY BRICK IT!

I hope I have helped you understand a few things about your phone. So, now that you have a better understanding, go ahead and flash the correct recovery and bootloader. One easy way is OS_Hacking's Tool.

Flash away folks!
That really helped mate. i hit the thanks button :). my problem was i was in v30a official, rooted, wkpark bootloader and i was about to flash 1st time but my phone got factory formatted and stuck at recovery loop. i used your zip and its back again.

Reactions: dreccon

Zubagy

Dec 20, 2012
kampala
failed to flash boot.img

The link you used is the right one but, as I said in 1st post, Xbsall's prerooted ROMs contain 2nd init recovery that doesn't need custom bootloaders to work. So, these ROMs contain stock bootloaders. If you want to use custom kernel, you must flash Wkpark's bootloader using the tool from 1st post and the instructions from the post right above.

Sent from my dual-booting ICS/JB O3D!

i am a noob and i have an lg su760 runing gingerbread, i need help on instructions on how to upgrade to jellybean, i tried flashing a boot.img but it fails. hw can i update pliz...:confused:

i am a noob and i have an lg su760 runing gingerbread, i need help on instructions on how to upgrade to jellybean, i tried flashing a boot.img but it fails. hw can i update pliz...:confused:

There is no official Jellybean for su760 from LG. If there were, I'm certain Xbsall would have already ported it to p920!

If you want to upgrade to ICS, then just use the official LG Mobile Support Tool!

If you really want Jellybean, then you must use CyanogenMod and lose 3D display functionality.

So, what is it that you need?

Sent from the 3rd dimension!

Last edited:

Zubagy

Dec 20, 2012
kampala
There is no official Jellybean for su760 from LG. If there were, I'm certain Xbsall would have already ported it to p920!

If you want to upgrade to ICS, then just use the official LG update tool!

If you really want Jellybean, then you must use CyanogenMod and lose 3D display functionality.

So, what is it that you need?

i realy dont know the difference, but will go with cyanogenMod. if i may ask.... ICS, wats the difference between it and CyanogenMod? i jst need t

o get to android '4.' and leave '3.'

i realy dont know the difference, but will go with cyanogenMod. if i may ask.... ICS, wats the difference between it and CyanogenMod? i jst need t

o get to android '4.' and leave '3.'

I don't want to sound arrogant but you, my friend, should read and learn what it is that you want to use before you use it. There are basic things about Android that you should learn and a simple query in Google could provide you with all the information you need.
Based on your current knowledge, I would strongly advise you to go the safe way and use the official LG Mobile Support Tool. It will upgrade you to Android 4.0.4 (ICS) and you will not have to mess with rooting, flashing custom bootloaders or custom recoveries.
If you still want to go the CyanogenMod way, then this thread is not the place to ask for help. Google is your only friend but be prepared for a lot of reading...

Last edited:
Reactions: Zubagy

Zubagy

Dec 20, 2012
kampala
I don't want to sound arrogant but you, my friend, should read and learn what it is that you want to use before you use it. There are basic things about Android that you should learn and a simple query in Google could provide you with all the information you need.
Based on your current knowledge, I would strongly advise you to go the safe way and use the official LG mobile update tool. It will upgrade you to Android 4.0.4 (ICS) and you will not have to mess with rooting, flashing custom bootloaders or custom recoveries.
If you still want to go the CyanogenMod way, then this thread is not the place to ask for help. Google is your only friend but be prepared for a lot of reading...

as you have suggested, ill go with that. bt as for now, my phone is stuck on the boot screen

as you have suggested, ill go with that. bt as for now, my phone is stuck on the boot screen

In my signature you will find a link to my "How to flash" guide. Do not use it! Just read and learn how to put your phone in download mode. Then use the official "LG Mobile Support Tool" and upgrade. This operation will also fix whatever is causing you to be stuck in boot screen. Make sure you make a Factory Reset after you flash (this is also explained in the guide).

Last edited:

Zubagy

Dec 20, 2012
kampala
In my signature you will find a link to my "How to flash" guide. Do not use it! Just read and learn how to put your phone in download mode. Then use the official LG Mobile Support Tool and upgrade. This operation will also fix whatever is causing you to be stuck in boot screen. Make sure you make a Factory Reset after you flash (this is also explained in the guide).

Thank u. I kinder downloaded froyo and flashed it, its a firmware and it keeps freezing as am using it. its like i have degraded the phone from gingerbread and the network is not working. How do i fix this and at least get back to gingerbread, or better ICS. u speak of the official LG Mobile support tool and upgrade, i dont think its the same as the flash tool. let me look into that....

smit_official

Nov 3, 2013
Mumbai
can u pls help me with my galaxy quattro/win I8552?
i had installed a custom rom. i wanted to go back to my stock rom and so i went tto recovery mode for factory rest.
and now its stuck in recovery mode. :(
pls help me!!! pls!!:crying:

can u pls help me with my galaxy quattro/win I8552?
i had installed a custom rom. i wanted to go back to my stock rom and so i went tto recovery mode for factory rest.
and now its stuck in recovery mode. :(
pls help me!!! pls!!:crying:

I am sorry, I don't know the specifics of your device. You'll have better luck consulting devs in your own device's forum.

galaxy76

Mar 26, 2013
hello, I wanted to know if was never solved the problem of the restart ICS of the p920 described by you in this first thread :

"Bootloaders:
This brings us to the bootloader discussion. GB bootloaders were unlocked, so there was no problem running custom recoveries or kernels. Stock ICS bootloaders (both P920 and SU760), on the other hand, are locked and won't accept any recovery (except 2nd init) or kernel other than stock. For this reason, if you have flashed ICS, you need to flash Wkpark's v1.25a unlocked bootloader. It doesn't matter what you flash first, as long as you flash both bootloader and recovery.
The trade with Wkpark's bootloaders is that, because they were built for the SU760 (Korean O3D), there are minor problems when using on the P920. When you shutdown your phone, it turns back on by itself. If you remove your battery, as soon as you put it back, the phone will turn on. You can only shut the phone off if you keep power pressed for about 10sec. Then, while the phone is finally off, if you plug it to a charger or to a PC via USB, it will turn back on! In my opinion, this is problem is really minor and having unlocked bootloaders is totally worth it!"

thanks

Last edited:
hello, I wanted to know if was never solved the problem of the restart ICS of the p920 described by you in this first thread :

"Bootloaders:
This brings us to the bootloader discussion. GB bootloaders were unlocked, so there was no problem running custom recoveries or kernels. Stock ICS bootloaders (both P920 and SU760), on the other hand, are locked and won't accept any recovery (except 2nd init) or kernel other than stock. For this reason, if you have flashed ICS, you need to flash Wkpark's v1.25a unlocked bootloader. It doesn't matter what you flash first, as long as you flash both bootloader and recovery.
The trade with Wkpark's bootloaders is that, because they were built for the SU760 (Korean O3D), there are minor problems when using on the P920. When you shutdown your phone, it turns back on by itself. If you remove your battery, as soon as you put it back, the phone will turn on. You can only shut the phone off if you keep power pressed for about 10sec. Then, while the phone is finally off, if you plug it to a charger or to a PC via USB, it will turn back on! In my opinion, this is problem is really minor and having unlocked bootloaders is totally worth it!"

thanks

Nope, never solved.

Reactions: galaxy76

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    As of 28/12/2013, I no longer have this phone. My threads will stay open for all who want to assist others. I've had a great time being a member of the O3D community, so thank you all!
    For questions, requests or any other remarks, please don't send me PM, I will not answer. Instead, please post properly in the thread, so that anybody can read and benefit or even assist.

Should I use GB or ICS custom recovery?
    A lot of people have been asking which is the right recovery to use with their ROM. There is a lot of misconception in this area. Even the question in the title is wrong cause there's no such thing as a GB or ICS Recovery! So, let's clear things up:

It is important to know that recovery is independent of the Android version you are using. It only depends on the device you have (KitKat which has SELinux activated may need a newer recovery that supports this feature). ICS recoveries are mistakenly called that way because they are compatible with the ported SU760 partition layout which happened to be the first ICS for P920. So, to be correct, instead of GB and ICS, we should be calling them P920 and SU760 recoveries respectively.

To be more specific, SU760 (ICS) recoveries look for the Internal SD in partition 16 of the partition table, whereas P920 recoveries look for it in partition 15. This is actually the only difference between the two. All other functions are exactly the same. The problem is that if you use the wrong recovery, it won't be able to read your internal SD, simply because it will expect to find it in the wrong place!

Conclusion:
    You use a P920 (GB) recovery no matter if you are running official LG Gingerbread, CM7, official LG ICS (v28b, v30a), CM10, CM10.1 etc. as long as you have a P920 partition table.
    You use a SU760 (ICS) recovery only if you have a true Korean O3D, if you are using XBSA ported ICS, or any other ROM on top of that partition layout.
    And one more thing: Xbsall's large partition layout is NOT SU760. It is standard P920, just larger!

2nd init recovery:
    Now, since I mentioned Xbsall, to make things a little more complicated, I should mention that prerooted Xbsall's ROMs come equipped with Milaq's 2nd init recovery. This is "hacky" way to have recovery installed in the system partition instead of the normal recovery partition. This has the advantage that it is compatible with locked stock ICS bootloaders. So, if you have 2nd init recovery, you don't need to install Wkpark's bootloaders, but you must never format your System partition because you'll wipe your recovery with it!

Bootloaders:
    The trade with Wkpark's bootloaders is that, because they were built for the SU760 (Korean O3D), there are minor problems when using on the P920. When you shutdown your phone, it turns back on by itself. If you remove your battery, as soon as you put it back, the phone will turn on. You can only shut the phone off if you keep power pressed for about 10sec. Then, while the phone is finally off, if you plug it to a charger or to a PC via USB, it will turn back on! In my opinion, this is problem is really minor and having unlocked bootloaders is totally worth it!

RECOVERY LOOP:
    Another problem that may arise from the use of custom bootloader and recoveries is the "Recovery Loop". If you use, for example, ROM Manager to Reboot to recovery or if you use the "Factory Reset" menu option in Android settings, your phone may keep rebooting to recovery, even if you select to reboot to system. This happens because the "Recovery Flag" doesn't get properly cleared. I don't know where this flag is located, so I can't force it to clear, but there is a workaround!
    1. Download P920_ICS_RecoveryLoop_Breaker.zip to your computer. If you are using stock ICS (or a custom ROM with stock ICS Kernel) keep it as it is and jump to step 4
    2. Unzip the loop breaker and replace the file "boot.img" with the one from the CustomROM.zip or the CustomKernel.zip you are using.
    3. Zip up your modified LoopBreaker.
    4. While your phone is in recovery, connect it via USB, select to mount SD to computer and copy the zip to the phone. Eject from computer.
    -- (Alternatively, if you have a Card Reader, you may put your ExternalSD card directly to your PC and copy the file)
    5. Flash the zip and reboot.
    6. After you boot to Android, you need to flash your custom recovery again because this procedure has wiped it.
    This workaround won't work without Wkpark's bootloader.
    Big thanks to @lzzar for giving me the idea how to break the loop!
    WARNING: THIS LOOP BREAKER IS FOR THE LG OPTIMUS 3D (P920/P925/SU760). USING IT ON ANY OTHER PHONE WITHOUT PROPER MODIFICATION WILL MOST PROBABLY BRICK IT!
    Recently, XDA member @kanish alexander ps used the loop breaker on his P725 and it worked as expected. So, although I have no personal experience, I guess it is safe to use it on LG P720/P725s.

I hope I have helped you understand a few things about your phone. So, now that you have a better understanding, go ahead and flash the correct recovery and bootloader. One easy way is OS_Hacking's Tool.

Flash away folks!
    Added link to OS_Hacking's Tool. It's one of the easiest and most complete ways to flash bootloaders and recoveries and the only one for unrooted phones!

Included some info about Milaq's 2nd init recovery and a few more things about bootloaders.

Great info man for people to shy to ask

Sent from my 3D phone.
    So for a P920 updated to ICS via LG update, in order to successfully root using AIO tool is this the correct sequence/ procedure.
    Load omap drivers change drivers via device manager, run AIO tool connect phone without battery [is vol+ needed here to connect?]
    1 install wkparks 1.2 bootloader.
    2 disconnect phone
    3 connect phone [vol+ needed here or not?] and run AIO tool again
    4 select a GB recovery
    5 copy s_u_gazhead zip to phone ext SD card
    6 connect battery and boot into recovery...vol- plus 3Dkey plus power, keep holding vol- and 3D until recovery screen appears...

Question what do I select to FLASH the zip, is there a menu item in recovery that you select to FLASH a zip. No mention of it so far in any of the tutorials.
    Question which of the GB recovery's is best to use and what is the difference.

I am sure am not alone in needing this information before risking bricking the phone especially users with W7 orW8 pc's
    My thanks to the developers here for there input and adssistance given to us learners.

Download AIO v1.2
    Install drivers from AIO tool.
    Run the tool.
    Open Device Manager
    Connect phone without battery (no keys pressed)
    (on 1st connection, look for OMAP device constantly connecting and disconnecting, right click on it and direct to install drivers from AIO Tool again)
    The tool detects the phone. Within 5sec connect battery.
    While using the tool, you don't need to disconnect the phone. You can flash bootloader and recovery in one go.
    It's a matter of preference which recovery you install. I like TWRP because it has command line and I use it to partition my external SD for DualBoot without using ADB.
    Just select "Install" and select Gazhead's zip.
    Reboot and you're good to go!