[INFO] Mali-400MP GPU vs Adreno 220 GPU

Search This thread

pavan-g

Dec 24, 2009
Mali-400 MP is a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) developed by ARM in 2008. Mali-400 MP supports a wide range of use from mobile user interfaces to smartbooks, HDTV and mobile gaming. Adreno 220 is a GPU developed by Qualcomm in 2011 and it is a component of the MSM8260 / MSM8660 SoC (System-on-Chip) powering the upcoming HTC EVO 3D, HTC Pyramid and Palm’s TouchPad tablets.

Mali™-400 MP

Mali™-400 MP is the world’s first OpenGL ES 2.0 conformant multi-core GPU. It provides support for vector graphics through OpenVG 1.1 and 3D graphics through OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, thus provides a complete graphics acceleration platform based on open standards. Mali-400 MP is scalable from 1 to 4 cores. It also provides the AMBA® AXI interface industry standard, which makes the integration of Mali-400 MP into SoC designs straight-forward. This also provides a well-defined interface for connecting Mali-400 MP to other bus architectures. Further, Mali-400 MP has a fully programmable architecture that provides high performance support for both shader-based and fixed-function graphics APIs. Mali-400 MP has a single driver stack for all multi-core configurations, which simplifies application porting, system integration and maintenance. Features provided by Mali-400 MP includes advanced tile-based deferred rendering and local buffering of intermediate pixel states that reduces memory bandwidth overhead and power consumption, efficient alpha blending of multiple layers in hardware and Full Scene Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) using rotated grid multi sampling that improves the graphics quality and performance.

Adreno 220

In 2011 Qualcomm introduced Adreno 220 GPU and it is a component of their MSM8260 /MSM8660 SoC. Adreno 220 supports console-quality 3D graphics and high-end effects such as vertex skinning, full-screen post-processing shader effects, dynamic lighting with full-screen alpha blending, real-time cloth simulation, advanced shader effects like dynamic shadows, god rays, bump mapping, reflections, etc and 3D animated textures. Adreno 220 GPU also claims that it can process 88 million triangles per second and offers twice the processing power of its predecessor Adreno 205. Further, Adreno 220 GPU claims to boost the performance up to a level that is competitive with console gaming systems. Also, Adreno 220 GPU will allow running games, UI, navigation apps and web browser in largest display sizes with lowest power levels.

Difference Between The Two

Difference between Mali-400MP GPU and Adreno 220 GPU
Based on a research done by Qualcomm using an average of Industry benchmarks composed of Neocore, GLBenchmark, 3DMM and Nenamark, they claim that Adreno 220 GPU in Qualcomm’s dual-core Snapdragon MSM8660 offers twice the performance of the GPU in other leading dual-core ARM9-based chips. Also, a team known as Anandtech has done several tests on Adreno 220 GPU. One of them was the GLBenchmark 2.0, which records the performance of OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible devices such as Mali™-400 MP using two long suites that include a combination of different effects such as direct lighting, bump, environment, radiance mapping, soft shadows, texture based on the use of vertex shader, deferred multi-pass rendering, texture noise, etc. and the test showed that Adreno 220 GPU was 2.2 times faster than the other existing devices such as Mali-400 MP GPU.

What do you guys think of this??.... I've been with HTC since they started doing Android... and I have to say android has come along way and so has the hardware....

RADLOUNI

Jun 25, 2009
Dubai
thanks

thanks, i'be been looking for feedback regarding adreno 220 vs mali 400 GPUs, do you have any link or source to back this up

I am looking forward to buying the sensation, and my only concern is the adreno 220 GPU as and whether it is better, equal, or workse than the Mali 400

If it is better then i'm definitely buying the sensation, if not then i might consider the galaxy s II

Thanks

Reactions: zer023

boostedb16b

Sep 10, 2010
interesting read... the sgs2 fans will debate this and say that the benchmarks were done with an over clocked processor.. so as of now its all just a good read

boostedb16b

Sep 10, 2010
another thing is that sony went with the adreno 220 in the xperia play so i guess it is as good as they say it is

eXceed

May 13, 2008
Stamford
Adreno 220 is faster than Mali-400MP anyday, and compared to Tegra 2 it's better in some cases and worst in others. I didn't get a Galaxy S2 due to the fact that the Mali-400MP is soo antiquetted...

Beaker491

Mar 16, 2011
Sheffield
According to reports on the SGS 2 forum, the Mali 400 doesn't support textures? This seems a big blow on the SGS 2's gaming capabilities to me. What would be an interesting comparison would be the Adreno 220 vs the (LG Optimus 3D's) OMAP4 PowerVR SGX400 GPU, which is clocked at 300MHz instead of the 200MHz found in the samsung hummingbird processor....

Ian

Elchemist

May 13, 2011
According to reports on the SGS 2 forum, the Mali 400 doesn't support textures? This seems a big blow on the SGS 2's gaming capabilities to me. What would be an interesting comparison would be the Adreno 220 vs the (LG Optimus 3D's) OMAP4 PowerVR SGX400 GPU, which is clocked at 300MHz instead of the 200MHz found in the samsung hummingbird processor....

Ian

Mali 400 Does support textures its texture compression which it does not support.

i9100

Mar 22, 2011
Mali 400 Does support textures its texture compression which it does not support.

It does support texture compression, just not the proprietary formats of other GPU vendors. Developers that only code for proprietary formats get locked in and lose out when something better comes along.

boostedb16b

Sep 10, 2010
i surely was waiting for an idiot response like yours i9100 just face it that samsung made a mistake with the mali... and to be quite honest with you the sgs2 was rushed out to take the lead on the market b4 the sensation.. and the cpu was overclocked to be more competitive with the sensation... and the rush has shown what i expected lots of unknown problems in the phone and then returns for phones with faulty screens and so on so dont be a troll and state facts rather than just talk because you have the device

eXceed

May 13, 2008
Stamford
Mail 400 is just an outdated chip, why someone wouldn't include texture compression in a MOBILE gpu is beyond me. What the hell were they thinking?!! The PS3 only does this because it has a blu-ray sized storage media! Ridiculous.

Currykiev

Apr 26, 2011
As stated, it DOES support texture compression. There are just a few formats and it only supports one of those. It won't prove a problem as it seems the SGS2 is going to be extremely popular and all game devs will support it eventually (most do already) :)

Currykiev

Apr 26, 2011
i surely was waiting for an idiot response like yours i9100 just face it that samsung made a mistake with the mali... and to be quite honest with you the sgs2 was rushed out to take the lead on the market b4 the sensation.. and the cpu was overclocked to be more competitive with the sensation... and the rush has shown what i expected lots of unknown problems in the phone and then returns for phones with faulty screens and so on so dont be a troll and state facts rather than just talk because you have the device

Wow, that was a slight over reaction! Do you work for HTC or something because that was a very defensive reply.

i9100 actually speaks some truth. There is a very informed topic over on the SGS2 forum about this which i suggest you guys read before making any more statements which are incorrect.

Still, looking forward to seeing this phone released to see if it's as impressive as the S2 is. I'm hoping it will be. :)

kgbkny

Aug 15, 2009
New York

I wouldn't be surprised if that was the case. To Samsung, that's business as usual.

i9100

Mar 22, 2011
I'm biased and this is not the Samsung home turf so I'll just keep to correcting facts. A little flaming is fine and not unexpected, but I won't go there. I'm enjoying my phone, and you should enjoy yours ;-)

In OpenGL ES 2.0 there is only one standard texture compression format - ETC. It's the only one you can rely on in all conformant GPUs. Others like ATITC, PVRTC and S3TC/DXTC are proprietary formats not suitable if you want your app to run on new devices.

boostedb16b

Sep 10, 2010
at the moment since my hd2 has been retired i opted to buy a samsung galaxy s 4g worst mistake i have made in a long time... bought a sidekick 4g for my gf and that phone was another example of how poor quality control if for samsung or how they rush to get a head start in the market... the phone is riddled with problems

boostedb16b

Sep 10, 2010
Wow, that was a slight over reaction! Do you work for HTC or something because that was a very defensive reply.

i9100 actually speaks some truth. There is a very informed topic over on the SGS2 forum about this which i suggest you guys read before making any more statements which are incorrect.

Still, looking forward to seeing this phone released to see if it's as impressive as the S2 is. I'm hoping it will be. :)

lol its not as bad as what i have read in the sgs2 forum where people are reporting their problems and trying to get legitimate help and are being bashed and called trolls because their phone honestly has a problem

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mali-400 MP is a GPU (Graphics Processing Unit) developed by ARM in 2008. Mali-400 MP supports a wide range of use from mobile user interfaces to smartbooks, HDTV and mobile gaming. Adreno 220 is a GPU developed by Qualcomm in 2011 and it is a component of the MSM8260 / MSM8660 SoC (System-on-Chip) powering the upcoming HTC EVO 3D, HTC Pyramid and Palm’s TouchPad tablets.

Mali™-400 MP

Mali™-400 MP is the world’s first OpenGL ES 2.0 conformant multi-core GPU. It provides support for vector graphics through OpenVG 1.1 and 3D graphics through OpenGL ES 1.1 and 2.0, thus provides a complete graphics acceleration platform based on open standards. Mali-400 MP is scalable from 1 to 4 cores. It also provides the AMBA® AXI interface industry standard, which makes the integration of Mali-400 MP into SoC designs straight-forward. This also provides a well-defined interface for connecting Mali-400 MP to other bus architectures. Further, Mali-400 MP has a fully programmable architecture that provides high performance support for both shader-based and fixed-function graphics APIs. Mali-400 MP has a single driver stack for all multi-core configurations, which simplifies application porting, system integration and maintenance. Features provided by Mali-400 MP includes advanced tile-based deferred rendering and local buffering of intermediate pixel states that reduces memory bandwidth overhead and power consumption, efficient alpha blending of multiple layers in hardware and Full Scene Anti-Aliasing (FSAA) using rotated grid multi sampling that improves the graphics quality and performance.

Adreno 220

In 2011 Qualcomm introduced Adreno 220 GPU and it is a component of their MSM8260 /MSM8660 SoC. Adreno 220 supports console-quality 3D graphics and high-end effects such as vertex skinning, full-screen post-processing shader effects, dynamic lighting with full-screen alpha blending, real-time cloth simulation, advanced shader effects like dynamic shadows, god rays, bump mapping, reflections, etc and 3D animated textures. Adreno 220 GPU also claims that it can process 88 million triangles per second and offers twice the processing power of its predecessor Adreno 205. Further, Adreno 220 GPU claims to boost the performance up to a level that is competitive with console gaming systems. Also, Adreno 220 GPU will allow running games, UI, navigation apps and web browser in largest display sizes with lowest power levels.

Difference Between The Two

Difference between Mali-400MP GPU and Adreno 220 GPU
    Based on a research done by Qualcomm using an average of Industry benchmarks composed of Neocore, GLBenchmark, 3DMM and Nenamark, they claim that Adreno 220 GPU in Qualcomm’s dual-core Snapdragon MSM8660 offers twice the performance of the GPU in other leading dual-core ARM9-based chips. Also, a team known as Anandtech has done several tests on Adreno 220 GPU. One of them was the GLBenchmark 2.0, which records the performance of OpenGL ES 2.0 compatible devices such as Mali™-400 MP using two long suites that include a combination of different effects such as direct lighting, bump, environment, radiance mapping, soft shadows, texture based on the use of vertex shader, deferred multi-pass rendering, texture noise, etc. and the test showed that Adreno 220 GPU was 2.2 times faster than the other existing devices such as Mali-400 MP GPU.

What do you guys think of this??.... I've been with HTC since they started doing Android... and I have to say android has come along way and so has the hardware....
    thanks

thanks, i'be been looking for feedback regarding adreno 220 vs mali 400 GPUs, do you have any link or source to back this up

I am looking forward to buying the sensation, and my only concern is the adreno 220 GPU as and whether it is better, equal, or workse than the Mali 400

If it is better then i'm definitely buying the sensation, if not then i might consider the galaxy s II

Thanks
    i don't know if this video helps but the gpu upscaling and running on a larger screen with higher resolution and not falling back is kind of amazing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBBMVc9-fuk
    benchmarks

I am neutral on both sides as I used a desire befor and now switching to a SGS2, they all provide good experiences and I respect both companies to make quality products for their customers.

Sure there are many topics in SGS2 forums posted by people having problems with the phone and I am glad that I have a fault free model, however I still enjoy reading "problematic posts" for informative replies and sometimes sharing my ideas, this is what xda suppose to be.

Come on guys, they are both good devices, less flaming and we can work together to make things better :D:D

coming back to the original topic (lol), yes Mali-400 is a strange (possibly BAAAD) choice by samsung and I am expecting adreno 220 to be a better GPU, but let's wait for some more reviews to see how sensational this little baby is.

**edited the post for a more peaceful and productive discussion :p**

plz dont get me wrong guys, i am a happy HTC Desire hd owner, but benchmarks are out for the sensation on another thread, and the gaming performance of the sensation is lower than the SGS II even after adjusting the score for pixel density
    Erm, starting to change my mind now about buying the Sensation. Doesn't seem so sensational now. :eek: