[Info] Mobile Dock Battery Case_Reply

Search This thread

Asus_USA

Verified ASUS Rep
Apr 29, 2011
Dear all,
The original design of ASUS Eee Pad Transformer keyboard dock was intended to provide the most user-friendly usage experience, where the keyboard would quickly wake the tablet on a single key press. However, this requires the keyboard to remain in an ever-ready standby state. While this feature was initially well received, we have since monitored feedback requesting an even longer battery life, considering the substantial battery capacity when the Eee Pad is docked.

Subsequently our engineering team has fulfilled this request by providing an additional, optional battery saving mode. This turns off the ever-ready standby state, enabling the keyboard dock battery life to last longer. However, the trade-off is that the keyboard dock now requires a press of the power button on the Transformer Pad to wake it instead. Eee Pad users now have the freedom to choose between longer battery standby (battery saving mode) or ever-ready keyboard wake-up at any time, from the settings menu. We have already implemented this free update for the Eee Pad, and it is ready to use today.

At this point of time, most of the keyboard docks that have been sold and everything in stores today supports this new battery saving option, except those of very early shipments. While the addition of this mode may not be critical to most users, we realized some owners of the earlier units may still desire this additional feature. Despite our best efforts, unfortunately this function is not upgradable on a limited number of keyboard docks and it requires an ASUS engineer to update the device. For those customers that require this optional function, ASUS will arrange an update. Please contact local ASUS service center to make the arrangement.

The following is a step-by-step guide on how to verify if your unit can support the new optional battery saving mode:

(1) Make sure your software is updated to 8.2.3.13 or later; and your mobile dock is updated to 0209.
*([Setting]>[About Tablet]>[Build Number] & [Mobile Dock version])
(2) Dock the Pad into the keyboard dock.
(3) Go to [Settings] > [Screen] and select [MobileDock Battery saving mode]
(4) Press power button on the Transformer Pad to make the unit go to sleep.
(5) With the option checked, if your unit does NOT wake up with the tap of a keyboard, the new battery saving mode is enabled and working.
(6) With [MobileDock Battery saving mode] checked,if your unit still wakes up by a key press, you have the earlier design.
(7) If #6 is true and you also require the new feature, then please contact your local ASUS service center.

best regards,
ASUS

Tortel1210

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 3, 2010
Interesting. I did notice that with my new dock, it doesnt wake up. My first dock did, and the battery drained very quickly

mike5065

May 14, 2011
I will assume pressing Power on TF to make it sleep should be instantaneous (no wait time).

I just tested mine and, sure enough, with the Sceen option selected, it does wake.

Appreciate this explanation. I'll take the dock to ASUS support.

And big Thanks for all the great Honeycomb support. Looking forward to 3.2.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using XDA Premium App

JoTeC

Apr 15, 2011
Huntersville, NC
Dear all,
The original design of ASUS Eee Pad Transformer keyboard dock was intended to provide the most user-friendly usage experience, where the keyboard would quickly wake the tablet on a single key press. However, this requires the keyboard to remain in an ever-ready standby state. While this feature was initially well received, we have since monitored feedback requesting an even longer battery life, considering the substantial battery capacity when the Eee Pad is docked.

Subsequently our engineering team has fulfilled this request by providing an additional, optional battery saving mode. This turns off the ever-ready standby state, enabling the keyboard dock battery life to last longer. However, the trade-off is that the keyboard dock now requires a press of the power button on the Transformer Pad to wake it instead. Eee Pad users now have the freedom to choose between longer battery standby (battery saving mode) or ever-ready keyboard wake-up at any time, from the settings menu. We have already implemented this free update for the Eee Pad, and it is ready to use today.

At this point of time, most of the keyboard docks that have been sold and everything in stores today supports this new battery saving option, except those of very early shipments. While the addition of this mode may not be critical to most users, we realized some owners of the earlier units may still desire this additional feature. Despite our best efforts, unfortunately this function is not upgradable on a limited number of keyboard docks and it requires an ASUS engineer to update the device. For those customers that require this optional function, ASUS will arrange an update. Please contact local ASUS service center to make the arrangement.

The following is a step-by-step guide on how to verify if your unit can support the new optional battery saving mode:

(1) Make sure your software is updated to 8.2.3.13 or later; and your mobile dock is updated to 0209.
(5) With the option checked, if your unit does NOT wake up with the tap of a keyboard, the new battery saving mode is enabled and working.
(6) With [MobileDock Battery saving mode] checked,if your unit still wakes up by a key press, you have the earlier design.
(7) If #6 is true and you also require the new feature, then please contact your local ASUS service center.

best regards,
ASUS

Thank you very much for the detailed explaination and commitment to resolving this issue. Great to see you guys are here and monitoring our forum...

Now, about the LIGHT BLEEDING...??? :D

Got my RMA after running the required steps. Painless, but will be painful to be without my tablet for however long it takes. I've grown accustom to using it so much. Thanks for being in contact with us here. I know for me at least it means a lot knowing that you listen to our inquiries. I second the light bleed too! Wonder if I can add that to my RMA?

ilgadets

May 26, 2011
Does Asus have sufficient quantities of all the parts required for the fix on hand?

I have read a few posts where people have RMA'd for this issue only to be told their repair is on hold due to "waiting for parts".

prouted

May 13, 2011
Hi Asus_USA, and thank you for your post.

Would the local ASUS (France for instance) know about this and do what is necessary to exchange the product ?

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
I'm concerned that this has been posted by a new single-post user, rather than one of the existing, known Asus accounts, and the fact that the same information hasn't been provided anywhere that I can see on the official Asus site, nor on their Facebook page.

Hence, I've posted on Facebook asking for confirmation that this is really an Asus employee and procedure, and if so, asking for clarification as to whether it is only the dock that need be returned, or the tablet too.

http://www.facebook.com/ASUS/posts/252930108053047

For reference, my dock does *not* pass this test, and mine is a B5O unit, so if this test is real, then only B6O units are able to pass the test.

For what it's worth I spoke with tech support and they had me reproduce the steps identical to those of the OP and also said that my tablet needed to update to support this feature. I implicity asked if this was a problem with the tablet or the dock and the support guy insisted it being the tablet. I realize that he is just reading off the screen as to what to say, but this is enough verification for me to believe that it's the tablet. I guess the complete truth will be told when I receive it back from ASUS. Again though I ask if anyone has RMA'd can you provide me with a copy of the checklist pdf so I don't have to sit on hold to have them resend it to me. And just a heads up its B5OK.....not B50K. I didn't realize this until I went to register my device on their website.

AustinMartin

Jul 18, 2011
For reference, my dock does *not* pass this test, and mine is a B5O unit, so if this test is real, then only B6O units are able to pass the test.

That's not true, my B50 dock passes the test. Some B50 units fail, and some pass. I think that's why they don't just say, check if it's a B50 unit and send it in.

dictionary

Dec 3, 2009
That's not true, my B50 dock passes the test. Some B50 units fail, and some pass. I think that's why they don't just say, check if it's a B50 unit and send it in.

Yes, but what version is your Tablet? I think the problem is with the Tablets, not with the actual dock. I have a b50 dock and have the screen wake. However, my tablet is a b40.

knoxploration

Apr 23, 2011
Yes, but what version is your Tablet? I think the problem is with the Tablets, not with the actual dock. I have a b50 dock and have the screen wake. However, my tablet is a b40.

Interesting and a bit disheartening -- I really don't want to be without my tablet for a period of ... who knows how long ... given that it's apparently a manufacturer design issue, and not a hardware failure.

For reference, my tablet's also a B5O, the 32GB version. My wife also has a tablet which I guess we'll also need to be returned, although we're still waiting for her dock to be delivered. I think hers is a B4O if memory serves, but it's not in front of me right now.

More frustratingly, I bought a third 16GB Eee Pad and dock for my father, who lives in the United Kingdom, as his Christmas present (he's holding it until then, charging and discharging the battery occasionally to keep it healthy). So I guess we're going to need to get into figuring out how Asus' international warranty works, too...

myamex

Mar 4, 2011
My B50 tablet and B50 dock passed the test.

This is how I test it:

Check the option, then press power button. Scren turns off and pressing keyboard keys shouldn't turn it on.
Uncheck the option, then press power button. Screen will turn on if I press the keyboard.

Btw, I don't have battery drainage issue.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Dear all,

best regards,
    ASUS
    I'm concerned that this has been posted by a new single-post user, rather than one of the existing, known Asus accounts, and the fact that the same information hasn't been provided anywhere that I can see on the official Asus site, nor on their Facebook page.

Hence, I've posted on Facebook asking for confirmation that this is really an Asus employee and procedure, and if so, asking for clarification as to whether it is only the dock that need be returned, or the tablet too.

Both my tablet and dock are B5O models and the test FAILS for me.

Can we get confirmation that if we RMA, we're sending the TABLET back and not the DOCK? Or are we sending both?

What's the typical turnaround?

Ok folks, here's the rundown:

1. This is a keyboard issue only, NOT a tablet issue. That's why we repeatedly stated keyboard in the original post.
    2. You only need to send in the keyboard for RMA, not the tablet.
    3. Typical turnaround - it will vary based on where you are, and the amount of tablets being returned for this issue.
    note to self: don't be an early adopter.

is there a local Asus repair center that can do this for me? I don't want to spend another $20 sending my dock in. i already spent $20 sending in my tablet for Screen-of-Death issues. (which incidentally cost me another $20 because i had to remove my screen protected before sending it it.

alternatively, can you guys take of the shipping and handling?

i do have a question though, whenever the tablet sleeps...couldn't you tell the docking port to ignore the dock? i don't understand why this can't be handled by the tablet.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    What is meant with "only very early shipments are affected" ? Does this mean that any dock I buy today is fixed?

Yes, most probably, since they were early out of stock of those
    Yes

Yes, if you go and buy a dock today, yours will likely be fixed, as it is a later model - ie B60+.

What is meant with "only very early shipments are affected" ? Does this mean that any dock I buy today is fixed?