[INFO] Nexus 5 OTA Help-Desk

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Reactions: FunDionysus

FunDionysus

Feb 12, 2014
Those are zip files. You need the image file, *.img. I use twrp, Google nexus 5 openrecovery image file. Use that
Thanks for the info. Successfully installed TWRP.

Been using PhilzTouch on all my Android devices. So now with TWRP recovery installed I can install the zip.

Next time I'm skipping the OTA and instead go with the rooted stock ROM.

Crappyvate

Jul 15, 2011
Isla de Vieques
Tried no luck
You can try this: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showpost.php?p=53569431&postcount=2040

---------- Post added at 12:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 AM ----------

Thanks for the info. Successfully installed TWRP.

Been using PhilzTouch on all my Android devices. So now with TWRP recovery installed I can install the zip.

Next time I'm skipping the OTA and instead go with the rooted stock ROM.
Seems that people using CWM lose it after updating to 4.4.4 but TWRP seems un-affected. Just need to re-install in fastboot ;)

greeneyez15o

Oct 15, 2008
Jeeerrrzy
For everyone who gets an error message that says "{APP} has unexpected contents", I have created a flashable zip (244 MB) that will check all the same files as the OTA (and in the exact same way) and replace any that don't match with the version that was released with KTU84M. It will also check your modem, but won't make any changes to it; you'll have to flash manually in fastboot if you get a message that it is incorrect (the message starts with "EMMC:/"). You can flash this as many times as you want and can flash the OTA directly after flashing this. If you just want to see what is wrong, I have created another flashable zip that will not make any changes to /system but will list all the files that have been modified.

This is only for checking KTU84M.
DO NOT USE ON OTHER VERSIONS!

Just check your system files:
Code:
File: system_check_hammerhead_ktu84m.zip
[url=http://goo.gl/ESNUH0]Google Drive[/url]
[url=http://goo.gl/fYKyvn]MEGA[/url]
MD5: 79b54a842debb992d0ef03eb2d7bc661
Size: 192 kb
Check and fix your system files:
Code:
File: system_fixer_hammerhead_ktu84m.zip
[url=http://goo.gl/sZsjz4]Google Drive[/url]
[url=http://goo.gl/1z732L]MEGA[/url]
MD5: a80331b5406042e2212fa0fe3bfeaa30
Size: 244 mb
Standard disclaimer: I am not to be held responsible if this messes up your phone in any way. Make sure you have backed up your phone and have backups of your backups. I created it for myself and figured I'd share what I created to benefit others. Just because it works for me does not mean it will work for you. If an alien pops out of your phone or it suddenly implodes or you lose everything on it and have no backups is not my problem.
@tonyafc here you go!
Thankyou , this works !!!!!

Tia_93_

Jun 20, 2014
Everything you need to know is clearly explained in the OP, PLEASE READ IT :crying:. Uninstall Xposed from within the apk, fastboot flash stock kernel. And yes use ./ (execute command) before fastboot, adb, etc... You will probably lose your custom recovery (since you're using CWM) and will need to re-flash it in fastboot as well reflash SuperSU from your custom recovery!

You may want to read this too http://forum.xda-developers.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701
Didn't mean to make you cry, I'm sorry :) I wasn't so sure where I would fall as of scenarios in the OP. So after what you told me to do, I'm waiting for the OTA or flashing the zip from recovery or what else? I'm sorry I didn't get that part.
Thank you.

A1ps

Feb 27, 2014
It'll just fail to install. It won't hurt anything

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app
Oddly enough, the update has just finished and even though I forgot to uninstall Xposed FW the 4.4.4 install went through glitch free!

I'm currently regaining consciousness!!!

mouitjskh

Sep 15, 2012
section B step 3

Hey i'm new to all this so i'm a bit confused on section b, I've uninstalled xposed and I've got the OTA.zip and booted into the recovery then it says "Flash the OTA just like you would a ROM." I've never actually flashed any ROM before so I haven't got a clue what to do? and also will I lose root and any data?

Thanks in advance :good:

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
Hey i'm new to all this so i'm a bit confused on section b, I've uninstalled xposed and I've got the OTA.zip and booted into the recovery then it says "Flash the OTA just like you would a ROM." I've never actually flashed any ROM before so I haven't got a clue what to do? and also will I lose root and any data?

Thanks in advance :good:
Do you have a custom recovery? If so go to install and find the ota zip. If you have the stock recovery go to install from sdcard. You will lose root but no data

Oops, been awhile since I used stock recovery, you need to use the sideload with adb

Last edited:

risktaker84

Apr 6, 2010
Brampton
This is seriously getting annoying now. I have Complete 4.4.3 Stock ROM rooted with SuperSU and Xposed Frameworks.

I followed the instructions of uninstalling the frameworks and then rebooting to TWRP and then dirty flashing the small update file but I keep getting the Failed message. Idk what I am doing wrong here. Any help will appreciated thanks.

jd1639

Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
This is seriously getting annoying now. I have Complete 4.4.3 Stock ROM rooted with SuperSU and Xposed Frameworks.

I followed the instructions of uninstalling the frameworks and then rebooting to TWRP and then dirty flashing the small update file but I keep getting the Failed message. Idk what I am doing wrong here. Any help will appreciated thanks.
To save yourself some frustration, just flash the system and radio images from the 4.4.4 factory image in fastboot. You'll be updated then.

Reactions: risktaker84

gauthier81

May 8, 2011
Chatham
I just got my Nexus 5 two weeks ago. Still haven't rooted it. Bone stock. Still no OTA yet! Shouldn't make a difference that I got it through Rogers should it? Just thought I would have got the update for 4.4.4 by now :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium

WettbackMartyr

Nov 18, 2012
Chicago
I just got my Nexus 5 two weeks ago. Still haven't rooted it. Bone stock. Still no OTA yet! Shouldn't make a difference that I got it through Rogers should it? Just thought I would have got the update for 4.4.4 by now :confused:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda premium
nope! a nexus 5 is a nexus 5. doesn't matter where it comes from, its updated by Google [emoji4]

Sent from my Nexus 5