General [Info] Nothing Phone 1

Search This thread
Here is a video that proposes what the Nothing Phone could be (1) taking into account the various leaks.

Nothing phone(1) Concept: The iPhone Killer? by Andrea Copellino

Comment by Andrea Copellino

2,48 k abonnés

You may have seen that weird symbol from Nothing's last presentation, everyone was expecting to see a smartphone, yet they only showed a SILHOUETTE of their smartphone (alongside a bit of the UI), so, using every hint they gave us, and trying to apply their design system, here's a concept of how the Nothing phone(1) could be like. (plus my ideas regarding the features this phone could have and what their future strategy might be) .

UPDATE 07/06/2022

I apologise for not posting the 2 previous survey forms, but work life took over and you can now find all four surveys in the links at the end of the post.

Last week you had the chance to join our first Beta project with 2 very cool quick surveys. This week we’ve got a more detailed one, with a few Qs around connectivity and personalisation.

The questions are open, but not compulsory. But please try your best to answer all – your feedback is super welcome and will surely help steering our team in the right direction.

Talking about the team, this is what they’ve said after reading all your answers from the first 2 surveys:

"It will take some time to develop dynamic colours and we’re working on it now. Once it’s done, we’ll update it to a new version of the Nothing Launcher and make sure it can be implemented on the final design of Nothing OS.

Regarding the toggle of hiding the search bar, we’ll also try to implement it with high priority in the later version as soon as possible, so please stay tuned."

Get involved in all three surveys, they’re super quick to complete, and your opinion is much valued.

Survey (1)

Survey (2)

Survey (3)

Survey (4)

For this survey, I post the pictures HiRes for the icons options:

Attachments

• Screen 1.png
    Screen 1.png
    864.3 KB · Views: 364
  • Screen 2.png
    Screen 2.png
    822.2 KB · Views: 365
  • Screen 3.png
    Screen 3.png
    915.8 KB · Views: 349
  • Screen 4.png
    Screen 4.png
    826 KB · Views: 370
Last edited:

Nothing (event): Return to Instinct.

1654684723-370097-nothing-instinct-event-kv-twitter-bst.png

This is it, what we have been waiting for is in sight. 📣
The long wait is coming to an end! It's about time, you'll tell me!
We've been riding this hype wave since the official announcement of the Nothing Phone in March (1).

All your ideas, your suspicions, your doubts, everything you could imagine, put it all in the bin and I invite you to remember this date.
Tuesday 12 July 2022 at 16:00 BST* 🕓 live from London on nothing.tech🤩

To make this event even more exciting, a competition is being organised on the official Discord. 🤙
So if you are interested and want to participate, please spread the word on all networks and check on this post here

*British Summer Time (BST)

Last edited:
Behind the scenes of Nothing's hectic life in London.

Here's the latest excellent video released by the Nothing team showing some of the personal lives (especially for Tom and Akis), of how the Nothing machine worked before the official launch of the Phone(1) and you can see some of the core Nothing team moving into their new offices, some of the members as yet unknown, and see the complicity that exists in this anthill.

The surprise when we can see what will be, maybe, the Phone(1) in Carl's hands.

The video can be seen via this link: HERE

Not only does this video show us part of the anthill that is Nothing, but recently, if you're a Londoner, you must have seen posters with a green parrot on them, like this one:

Twitter_1a.jpg

But also on Twitter, parakeets and the green parrot appear with parts of what could be the Phone(1).

Twitter_a.jpg
Twitter_b.jpg

Last edited:
Nothing's instinct revealed!

Yesterday, in post #7, I wrote that something was going on today, Wednesday 15th June.
Well, it's done, early this morning the parrot revealed the back side of what will be the Phone(1) by Nothing.
Here are 2 pictures, and I leave you in reflection mode.

Are you pleasantly, if not really surprised by the design?
Disappointed? Were you expecting something better?
Tell me what you think?
I'm curious to know your first impressions!

1655269226-653459-ig-feed.jpg

Nothing_phone(1)_hand.jpg

Reactions: animatorbfab

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
It looks sharp, but uninspiring. I guess carl pei really took Apple's design language with the rounded corners and sharp sides. This is a typical candy bar smartphone with wide + ultrawide (my guesses) cameras and a clear back glass. Somehow I expected more... guts? Leaked video showed light-up effects to music is interesting but not really a gamechanger, besides it's existed in my 20-year old pc build lol.

Now it's really gonna come down to price and specs.

It looks sharp, but uninspiring. I guess carl pei really took Apple's design language with the rounded corners and sharp sides. This is a typical candy bar smartphone with wide + ultrawide (my guesses) cameras and a clear back glass. Somehow I expected more... guts? Leaked video showed light-up effects to music is interesting but not really a gamechanger, besides it's existed in my 20-year old pc build lol.

Now it's really gonna come down to price and specs.
Even if this lighting seems obsolete to you now, it really is a change from all those stereotypical smartphones.
What would you like to have changed?

For the moment we have only seen the back of what should be the Phone(1), so we don't know much more!

I'm playing devil's advocate and trying to understand what people want! Some write that it's not great, it's a copy of Apple, etc...others that it doesn't have curved edges; others that it lacks this or that! that Sammies are better! In short, everyone gives answers but without really giving elements that allow the general shape of a smartphone to evolve.

For the price, I think it should be between 500 and 600€, no more, no less.
As for the specs, I think it should be the latest Snapdragon 7 gen 1 (new mobile chip for the mid-high end).
For the rest, I have no idea.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Even if this lighting seems obsolete to you now, it really is a change from all those stereotypical smartphones.
What would you like to have changed?

For the moment we have only seen the back of what should be the Phone(1), so we don't know much more!

I'm playing devil's advocate and trying to understand what people want! Some write that it's not great, it's a copy of Apple, etc...others that it doesn't have curved edges; others that it lacks this or that! that Sammies are better! In short, everyone gives answers but without really giving elements that allow the general shape of a smartphone to evolve.

For the price, I think it should be between 500 and 600€, no more, no less.
As for the specs, I think it should be the latest Snapdragon 7 gen 1 (new mobile chip for the mid-high end).
For the rest, I have no idea.
Fair questions. I'll have some of my own takes and I guess what I'm looking for:

• Lighting is new, but is just a gimmick, as it does not change the way we'd use the phone.
    • At best, it can be a notification LED once again.
  • Front can't really be that different from normal candy bar phones. What it SHOULD have IMO:
    • Super AMOLED or equivalent display
    • Available 1440p or better
    • 120hz LTPO 2.0 or better
    • Hidden front camera (Under display like ZTE, or popup like OP 7s)
  • Networking should, at minimum, provide:
    • Dual SIM, with eSIM support optional, in all markets
    • True global band support, with proper CA Combos, like how Apple (13s and such, not SE) has handled things and even some OnePlus (see https://cacombos.com/device/NE2213)
  • Performance, obviously depending on the price:
    • 8GB of RAM is minimal, even for midrange these days
    • 128GB of storage is fine to reduce costs, with a
    • MicroSD slot
    • 3.5mm jack, with a decent DAC
    • at $700, I would expect them to be capable of SD8+G1, at $600 I would want to at least see SD7G1. No Samsung fabbed anything please.
  • Software:
    • Just run stock Android please, moto style of customization on it might be ok but no more skins like OOS, OneUI, etc
    • Proper 4+ year of dev support with on-time releases. See Essential team pushing out patches before the Pixel team back in the day.
    • Unlockable bootloader
    • Proper open-source code releases to enable devs
But again, these are just specs I would want to see on a "flagship killer" for a price of $600-700 USD. None of these really fundamentally changes the way a smartphone works, but could be exciting from a price/performance perspective.

Fair questions. I'll have some of my own takes and I guess what I'm looking for:

• Lighting is new, but is just a gimmick, as it does not change the way we'd use the phone.
    • At best, it can be a notification LED once again.
  • Front can't really be that different from normal candy bar phones. What it SHOULD have IMO:
    • Super AMOLED or equivalent display
    • Available 1440p or better
    • 120hz LTPO 2.0 or better
    • Hidden front camera (Under display like ZTE, or popup like OP 7s)
  • Networking should, at minimum, provide:
    • Dual SIM, with eSIM support optional, in all markets
    • True global band support, with proper CA Combos, like how Apple (13s and such, not SE) has handled things and even some OnePlus (see https://cacombos.com/device/NE2213)
  • Performance, obviously depending on the price:
    • 8GB of RAM is minimal, even for midrange these days
    • 128GB of storage is fine to reduce costs, with a
    • MicroSD slot
    • 3.5mm jack, with a decent DAC
    • at $700, I would expect them to be capable of SD8+G1, at $600 I would want to at least see SD7G1. No Samsung fabbed anything please.
  • Software:
    • Just run stock Android please, moto style of customization on it might be ok but no more skins like OOS, OneUI, etc
    • Proper 4+ year of dev support with on-time releases. See Essential team pushing out patches before the Pixel team back in the day.
    • Unlockable bootloader
    • Proper open-source code releases to enable devs
But again, these are just specs I would want to see on a "flagship killer" for a price of $600-700 USD. None of these really fundamentally changes the way a smartphone works, but could be exciting from a price/performance perspective.
I understand what your thoughts, but if you're honest can you imagine a flagship-killer with almost of yours specs for $600/700 USD. I'm not sure!
I see that you have a OP 10Pro & SGS22U, their are not really cheap! And do you have all the specs you want?

But I'm sure that the S7G1 is a SoC, not SD8+G1
3.5mm, I think not
MicroSD, now it's useless with 128/256 Gb of storage
I suppose 6/8 GB or RAM
Stock Android without majority of bloatware
Bootloader unlocked and open-source

It's just some speculations from me.

If you are not on to the Nothing Discord, can I suggest you to join it, if you want to discuss with some of them and explain your thoughts.
I'm on both, here and Discord.

craznazn

Nov 12, 2009
OnePlus 8T
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
I understand what your thoughts, but if you're honest can you imagine a flagship-killer with almost of yours specs for $600/700 USD. I'm not sure!
I see that you have a OP 10Pro & SGS22U, their are not really cheap! And do you have all the specs you want?

But I'm sure that the S7G1 is a SoC, not SD8+G1
3.5mm, I think not
MicroSD, now it's useless with 128/256 Gb of storage
I suppose 6/8 GB or RAM
Stock Android without majority of bloatware
Bootloader unlocked and open-source

It's just some speculations from me.

If you are not on to the Nothing Discord, can I suggest you to join it, if you want to discuss with some of them and explain your thoughts.
I'm on both, here and Discord.
I go through a lot of phones.

Take ZTE, https://screenrant.com/zte-axon-40-ultra-price-how-to-buy/

It actually has almost everything I want, with a better camera array than what the nothing is showing. The cost is $800 and there are available discounts. The only problem is poor band support in the US and SG8G1 being a Samsung fab chip. If nothing wants to compete, they need to at least be able to beat other competitors, so at $800 it better look as good as ZTE on paper.

Another video that shows another side of Nothing, a bit more personal for some of the team members but also the change of premises, and everyone is moving.

UPDATE 05/07/2022

News broke this afternoon about a bonus for investors. It is about Dots in NFT version.
Those famous Non-Fungible-Tokens* that Carl collects. He wanted to share one of his passions with investors and members of the first hour of Nothing.
These are the Dots, the famous NFT by Nothing, which will be offered.
Here is the procedure, if you want to receive them and if you are an investor.
For the other members, this sharing will happen later.

The Black Dot NFTs are now open to be redeemed exclusively by our community investors and anyone who pre-ordered Phone (1).

- For community investors (including investors who also pre-ordered Phone (1)*):
Register on https://dots.nothing.tech/ => 5 July 12:00 BST - 12 August 23:59 BST.
Airdrop => 7 July 22:00 BST - 13 August 10:00 BST.

- For those who pre-ordered Phone (1):
Register on https://dots.nothing.tech/ => 12 July 12:00 BST - 12 August 23:59 BST.
Airdrop => 12 July 22:00 BST - 13 August 10:00 BST.

*For community investors who have also pre-ordered Phone (1): you only need to register and connect your wallet once. You’ll be airdropped two Black Dots. They may be airdropped separately.

TW_DOT.png

* NFT Explainer- What is blockchain Crypto Art FAQ by The Verge

Timmmmaaahh!

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Sep 11, 2012
Bruges
OnePlus One
OnePlus 6T
UPDATE 05/07/2022

News broke this afternoon about a bonus for investors. It is about Dots in NFT version.
Those famous Non-Fungible-Tokens* that Carl collects. He wanted to share one of his passions with investors and members of the first hour of Nothing.

The Black Dot NFTs are now open to be redeemed exclusively by our community investors and anyone who pre-ordered Phone (1).

- For community investors (including investors who also pre-ordered Phone (1)*):
Register on https://dots.nothing.tech/ => 5 July 12:00 BST - 12 August 23:59 BST.

Register on https://dots.nothing.tech/ => 12 July 12:00 BST - 12 August 23:59 BST.

1657911835729.png
This will make me rich in 10-15 years, right?... Right?! 😬

Kapiljhajhria

May 3, 2011
gurgaon
UPDATE 05/07/2022

Carl hates NFT and all crypt currency. He admitted that during a recent interview. It's his team who came up with this and thinks it can lead to something good. So he agreed to experiment with it.

Carl hates NFT and all crypt currency. He admitted that during a recent interview. It's his team who came up with this and thinks it can lead to something good. So he agreed to experiment with it.
I'm not sure about your statement because after talking with Carl on the #web3 channel of the Discord server, he owns several NFTs, notably from the Bored Ape Yacht Club, which have a certain value

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Thanks @MikeChannon for opening this forum (y)
    Nothing's instinct revealed!

Yesterday, in post #7, I wrote that something was going on today, Wednesday 15th June.
    Well, it's done, early this morning the parrot revealed the back side of what will be the Phone(1) by Nothing.
    Here are 2 pictures, and I leave you in reflection mode.

Are you pleasantly, if not really surprised by the design?
    Disappointed? Were you expecting something better?
    Tell me what you think?
    I'm curious to know your first impressions!

1655269226-653459-ig-feed.jpg

Nothing_phone(1)_hand.jpg
    The first video about the Phone(1) by MKBHD

Tell me what you think of this presentation?
    If you are satisfied with what you have seen overall?
    What did you like about it?