Search This thread
I just can't tell how happy I am. I love Linux and always wanted a portable linux handheld. tried nethunter, ubport, other emulators etc.. did not get the satisfaction. butppostmarket os is promising. was not able to find any devices running though..

Hearty congratulations on the achivement.

sincere thanks ..
Thank you, is almost there, if i will fix the wifi the device will be usable, even without gpu for the moment.

serghidalg

Jun 17, 2022
Thanks for your development!
I am getting this specific tablet in a couple of weeks and it's pretty exciting seeing people pushing technology in this direction. Thanks for your contribution!!!

Great dude! It was hard I guess? Really good work
Thank you, time consuming too, hard indeed because the information available is not always accurate, and when is accurate is scattered all over the place.
Still need to fix a lot of things, but at this stage i think the touchpad driver should be completed to have scroll as should be, right click too, after i will fix the touchpad driver i will publish first release.
Then the rest, gpu, sound, usb-otg, battery, etc....

Last edited:
It's bluetooth, as well as the Smart Pen, but they don't work in non-stock... GSIs, for exemple
Thanks for the info, if are bluetooth and if i will make the BT work then for sure I will find a way to make them work, will be a bit difficult to test as i do not have the keyboard or the pen and are a bit expensive....
There is just a matter of time to make the already ported touchscreen driver from downstream to mainline to have the pen working, in regards to the keyboard that should work directly (without charging) the pogo pins probably have a hall sensor to activate the power output to charge the keyboard when connected, the same should exists on the other side for pen, but those are far away on my development scale, as right now i am trying to bring up the multi touch gestures and prepare a release, as the wifi works, even without GPU the tablet is usable as a Linux device already.

yashsn2127

Jul 3, 2016
Thanks for the info, if are bluetooth and if i will make the BT work then for sure I will find a way to make them work, will be a bit difficult to test as i do not have the keyboard or the pen and are a bit expensive....
There is just a matter of time to make the already ported touchscreen driver from downstream to mainline to have the pen working, in regards to the keyboard that should work directly (without charging) the pogo pins probably have a hall sensor to activate the power output to charge the keyboard when connected, the same should exists on the other side for pen, but those are far away on my development scale, as right now i am trying to bring up the multi touch gestures and prepare a release, as the wifi works, even without GPU the tablet is usable as a Linux device already.
Amazing work dude!

Reactions: serdeliuk
Cool!
Do you have any plans in releasing the source code?
I'd like to build the target myself and look if I can contribute.
Hi, yes, i will release the source for what i have now, but under the PostmarketOS repos, for this i need to clean the good, the bad and the ugly patches i build, right now i realized that without working charging/battery the OS is useless so probably after making the charging available i will have time to clean everything and publish a release

I wanna try and build this, but I cant find the nabu/Pad 5 in the device-section of the sourcecode. I just built this for my Oneplus 5t, but if I could build this for my 11 inch tablet, this OS would be waay more useful.

edit: oh damn, no charging huh? well lol, Im glad I didnt jump the gun already haha.

I got so excited that I built it for my old phone, which has no builds available for it, it works, except that xfce4 wasnt a good choice for a small phone-screen.

Reactions: serdeliuk
I wanna try and build this, but I cant find the nabu/Pad 5 in the device-section of the sourcecode. I just built this for my Oneplus 5t, but if I could build this for my 11 inch tablet, this OS would be waay more useful.

edit: oh damn, no charging huh? well lol, Im glad I didnt jump the gun already haha.

I got so excited that I built it for my old phone, which has no builds available for it, it works, except that xfce4 wasnt a good choice for a small phone-screen.
Yeah, is not available yet publicly, only for me at this stage. Unfortunately the charging chip, usb otg and battery drivers does not exists in mainline and will take a while to make them work, beside them the GPU does not work, and the panel/backlight too, but the latter ones can be managed later, without battery/management will be a bit complicated to use the PostmarketOS, you need to reboot to android for charging and checking the battery level which is over hand...... however, i will cleanup what i have and make the sources and patches available for anyone to test, probably by the end of the week, early next week...

OK, yeah OTG doesn't seem to work on my Oneplus 5t with POST MARKETS so I can't use keyboard or mouse with it. It's not very usable on that phone unless I somehow remote through my desktop some way. SSH or something maybe. At that point it would be a glorified small screen, maybe it could show stats of my PC somehow. I'm trying to find a way to make that phone useful, it feels like a waste having a good computer/phone that could be made useful somehow.

With the Pad 5 I'm stuck with MIUI for now altho I've rooted it, it would be fun to install an actually good Android on it. I'm not a big fan of MIUI, it's not awful but it could be better.

I've never run a GSI on it but are those bad or something? ROMs are so specific to the specific hardware so I bet we won't see much development for custom ROMs for this one unless I somehow learn how to port another Android ROM to it and I'm no programmer(But I want to learn). I'm very tech savvy, I daily drive Arch Linux but unless I follow a speicifc guide on building software I'm kinda out of luck atm. At least with my current level of technical knowledge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have a bit of progress as mentioned on post #1, bluetooth, gpu, panel and brightness are working now.
    Basically sound, sensors, cameras and not the last power/battery management remained.
    In regards to the power is still WIP, with just a bit of success and still a lot to do.
    I started to port pmos from an existing device that has a similar CPU, xiaomi cepheus, ported the work of Alexei Min, modified the configs and dts until i had something on screen, from there it was a progression of stuff, making ufs tro work and able to boot from device itself, making usb to work as a network adapter and have access to system messages, then make wifi to work, etc, the, migrating all work to latest available kernel, now i think i am 60% done with PMOS port to nabu. but the most important stuff yet to come, the battery
    wow that is so cool, are the drivers for those functions not open-source? I see that often with other devices these functions are partly working(or not at all). Amazing to hear your progress with this! Looking forward to hearing more in the future. I would love to hear more details on struggles with porting PMOS to this tablet.
    Good work!
    All the drivers are opensource and are ported from downstream android kernel (vendor kernel), except panel driver which is extracted from vendor dts. Probably a kernel developer can make this more easy, but to me is fun and learn a lot during the process. While porting a driver you find that the driver has dependencies on other drivers or headers from old kernel, which should be ported either, each new dependency lead to another one and so on, to solve each issue along you need to compile the kernel, operation that sometimes require full recompilation of the kernel, imagine to compile the kernel "100" times.... on a reasonably good computer a full compilation can take around 10 minutes, at least on my i7-12700H with 16GB ram, on my old computer a full compile took approx 30 minutes... the struggle is with time afterall, and with differences between old kernel and the new kernel as som existing functions changed over time, most of them have more or less parameters.
    It is very cool. I sometimes use pmos on 1+6.
    Nabu can run phosh or gnome de?
    And 1+6 has perfect dualboot with split userdata (userdata_a/_b). We can make dualboot too? Ex crdroid 8.8 and pmos?
    Right now i have triple boot, MIUI android on boot_a, pmos and windows on boot_b depending on what boot.img you write on boot_b or load with fastboot, pmos and windows have different partitions as i did repartition the storage and used 50% for android (64gb) and the rest in two new partitions for Windows and PostmarketOS.
    In the near future i will create a boot loader to have a real triple boot upon reboot.
    Nabu as of now can run phosh as the GPU, panel and brightness are working, however, i didn't tested phosh, i am using plasma desktop which is more appropriate for a tablet.
    I would like to see the work of pmos even at this stage. (I once tried to use PMOS on Nexus 10, but gave it up and bought a T550). I mean, some devices do not even have the same functionality that nabu has now. And it's very cool.
    And then is another work to be done, make the stuff public :) at this stage, without power/battery management, is very risky, it is easy to loose time and get your battery empty, it happened to me and with the fast charger took a lot to recover, initially i thought that i did something wrong that bricked the tablet, well, after an hour in the charger started to display the empty battery icon.
    Due to this reason, i am afraid to publish the source of my work and delay this until at least the battery status will work, i see that all pmos developers publish their work as is, but i know how easy is to destroy a lipo battery so i try to avoid this by not publishing the source.
    [UPDATE 11 Sep 2022]
    - mainlined to 6.0-RC4
    - GPU is finally working
    - panel and brightness is working
    - bluetooths is working

[UPDATE 2 Jul 2022]
    - mainlined to the latest available kernel, 5.19.0-RC4
    - WiFi finally works
    nabu.wifi.ok.jpg

Hello,

I have successfully ported PostmarketOS to my Xiaomi Pad 5 tablet.
    pmos.working.touch.jpg

I have fixed SPI touchscreen and currently boot from B slot, on A slot is still Android (dual boot)
    WiFI do not work yet and the network is provided via USB, as the ssh access on the tablet too.

# here you can find the official page for this device
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page

I will keep you posted about the progress.

Best regards

M
    It's bluetooth, as well as the Smart Pen, but they don't work in non-stock... GSIs, for exemple
    I have a bit of success here, WiFi finally works, see post #1 for a nice image.
    I have created the official device page, is not ready yet, but a start
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page
    Bro can you port Ubuntu touch please as using it in tab will replace my laptop needs and helps many people
    If i am able to successful port the PostmarketOS then next project will be to port Ubuntu 20.04LTS not Ubuntu touch.