Search This thread
I just can't tell how happy I am. I love Linux and always wanted a portable linux handheld. tried nethunter, ubport, other emulators etc.. did not get the satisfaction. butppostmarket os is promising. was not able to find any devices running though..

Hearty congratulations on the achivement.

sincere thanks ..
Thank you, is almost there, if i will fix the wifi the device will be usable, even without gpu for the moment.

serghidalg

Jun 17, 2022
Thanks for your development!
I am getting this specific tablet in a couple of weeks and it's pretty exciting seeing people pushing technology in this direction. Thanks for your contribution!!!

Great dude! It was hard I guess? Really good work
Thank you, time consuming too, hard indeed because the information available is not always accurate, and when is accurate is scattered all over the place.
Still need to fix a lot of things, but at this stage i think the touchpad driver should be completed to have scroll as should be, right click too, after i will fix the touchpad driver i will publish first release.
Then the rest, gpu, sound, usb-otg, battery, etc....

Last edited:
It's bluetooth, as well as the Smart Pen, but they don't work in non-stock... GSIs, for exemple
Thanks for the info, if are bluetooth and if i will make the BT work then for sure I will find a way to make them work, will be a bit difficult to test as i do not have the keyboard or the pen and are a bit expensive....
There is just a matter of time to make the already ported touchscreen driver from downstream to mainline to have the pen working, in regards to the keyboard that should work directly (without charging) the pogo pins probably have a hall sensor to activate the power output to charge the keyboard when connected, the same should exists on the other side for pen, but those are far away on my development scale, as right now i am trying to bring up the multi touch gestures and prepare a release, as the wifi works, even without GPU the tablet is usable as a Linux device already.

yashsn2127

Jul 3, 2016
Thanks for the info, if are bluetooth and if i will make the BT work then for sure I will find a way to make them work, will be a bit difficult to test as i do not have the keyboard or the pen and are a bit expensive....
There is just a matter of time to make the already ported touchscreen driver from downstream to mainline to have the pen working, in regards to the keyboard that should work directly (without charging) the pogo pins probably have a hall sensor to activate the power output to charge the keyboard when connected, the same should exists on the other side for pen, but those are far away on my development scale, as right now i am trying to bring up the multi touch gestures and prepare a release, as the wifi works, even without GPU the tablet is usable as a Linux device already.
Amazing work dude!

Reactions: serdeliuk
Cool!
Do you have any plans in releasing the source code?
I'd like to build the target myself and look if I can contribute.
Hi, yes, i will release the source for what i have now, but under the PostmarketOS repos, for this i need to clean the good, the bad and the ugly patches i build, right now i realized that without working charging/battery the OS is useless so probably after making the charging available i will have time to clean everything and publish a release

Nov 23, 2021
I wanna try and build this, but I cant find the nabu/Pad 5 in the device-section of the sourcecode. I just built this for my Oneplus 5t, but if I could build this for my 11 inch tablet, this OS would be waay more useful.

edit: oh damn, no charging huh? well lol, Im glad I didnt jump the gun already haha.

I got so excited that I built it for my old phone, which has no builds available for it, it works, except that xfce4 wasnt a good choice for a small phone-screen.

Reactions: serdeliuk
I wanna try and build this, but I cant find the nabu/Pad 5 in the device-section of the sourcecode. I just built this for my Oneplus 5t, but if I could build this for my 11 inch tablet, this OS would be waay more useful.

edit: oh damn, no charging huh? well lol, Im glad I didnt jump the gun already haha.

I got so excited that I built it for my old phone, which has no builds available for it, it works, except that xfce4 wasnt a good choice for a small phone-screen.
Yeah, is not available yet publicly, only for me at this stage. Unfortunately the charging chip, usb otg and battery drivers does not exists in mainline and will take a while to make them work, beside them the GPU does not work, and the panel/backlight too, but the latter ones can be managed later, without battery/management will be a bit complicated to use the PostmarketOS, you need to reboot to android for charging and checking the battery level which is over hand...... however, i will cleanup what i have and make the sources and patches available for anyone to test, probably by the end of the week, early next week...

Nov 23, 2021
OK, yeah OTG doesn't seem to work on my Oneplus 5t with POST MARKETS so I can't use keyboard or mouse with it. It's not very usable on that phone unless I somehow remote through my desktop some way. SSH or something maybe. At that point it would be a glorified small screen, maybe it could show stats of my PC somehow. I'm trying to find a way to make that phone useful, it feels like a waste having a good computer/phone that could be made useful somehow.

With the Pad 5 I'm stuck with MIUI for now altho I've rooted it, it would be fun to install an actually good Android on it. I'm not a big fan of MIUI, it's not awful but it could be better.

I've never run a GSI on it but are those bad or something? ROMs are so specific to the specific hardware so I bet we won't see much development for custom ROMs for this one unless I somehow learn how to port another Android ROM to it and I'm no programmer(But I want to learn). I'm very tech savvy, I daily drive Arch Linux but unless I follow a speicifc guide on building software I'm kinda out of luck atm. At least with my current level of technical knowledge.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The source code of my modifications is not yet publicly available, will be soon
    Great job!
    I have a pro version(enuma). I've see the light! haha
    Great job!
    I have a pro version(enuma). I've see the light! haha
    Thank you, unfortunately the pro version has a totally different CPU and this version will not work, however, the source code will help to understand what i did and maybe others can start from there
    [UPDATE 2 Jul 2022]
    - mainlined to the latest available kernel, 5.19.0-RC4
    - WiFi finally works
    nabu.wifi.ok.jpg

Hello,

I have successfully ported PostmarketOS to my Xiaomi Pad 5 tablet.
    pmos.working.touch.jpg

I have fixed SPI touchscreen and currently boot from B slot, on A slot is still Android (dual boot)
    WiFI do not work yet and the network is provided via USB, as the ssh access on the tablet too.

# here you can find the official page for this device
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page

I will keep you posted about the progress.

Best regards

M
    I have a bit of success here, WiFi finally works, see post #1 for a nice image.
    It's bluetooth, as well as the Smart Pen, but they don't work in non-stock... GSIs, for exemple
    I have created the official device page, is not ready yet, but a start
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page
    Bro can you port Ubuntu touch please as using it in tab will replace my laptop needs and helps many people
    If i am able to successful port the PostmarketOS then next project will be to port Ubuntu 20.04LTS not Ubuntu touch.