Search This thread

roy60246

Aug 25, 2022
Sir,I want the odm.img of nabu for a friend of mine who is making ricedroid for it,could you please share the file with me or tell me what is the location of it,I tried the location where boot.img,vendor_boot.img are but it was not there,I think they are present in different partitions,anyways thank you for answering in advance

Sir,I want the odm.img of nabu for a friend of mine who is making ricedroid for it,could you please share the file with me or tell me what is the location of it,I tried the location where boot.img,vendor_boot.img are but it was not there,I think they are present in different partitions,anyways thank you for answering in advance
I am not aware that nabu has such partition or image.

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
maan, I dont mean to harp or bother you but why dont you open-source it right now? There are SO many talented coders here and around the world, and I aspire to at least become..somewhat competent. It could speed up fixing whatever youre struggling with in the code. Someone, who knows maybe a Xiaomi-dev would make some suggestions on how to fix things, and that'll be that.

I hope you take my post in the right way, Im fully supporting you but releasing alpha-software is in the spirit of the open-source world. It has to start somewhere right? I know as a perfectionist myself Im never satisified with whatever I do, something I struggle with everyday,, but maybe thats just me.

Anyhow, I really do believe if you open-source this project it would be at least have the potential to faster become what you imagine the perfect Linux-distro running on this amazing tablet.

Cheers :)

maan, I dont mean to harp or bother you but why dont you open-source it right now? There are SO many talented coders here and around the world, and I aspire to at least become..somewhat competent. It could speed up fixing whatever youre struggling with in the code. Someone, who knows maybe a Xiaomi-dev would make some suggestions on how to fix things, and that'll be that.

I hope you take my post in the right way, Im fully supporting you but releasing alpha-software is in the spirit of the open-source world. It has to start somewhere right? I know as a perfectionist myself Im never satisified with whatever I do, something I struggle with everyday,, but maybe thats just me.

Anyhow, I really do believe if you open-source this project it would be at least have the potential to faster become what you imagine the perfect Linux-distro running on this amazing tablet.

Cheers :)
Hi, you are perfectly right, i already mentioned that i am in the process publishing my additions, right now i am cleaning my code prior releasing the first public version, but is not just about my code, preparing for release is more than publishing my modifications/additions, it will be required to create a few howto pages, to update the wiki, to create multiple repos and packages for the ones that will not want to build the PMOS and just install and play. Unfortunately i am stuck in the cleaning process as i am very busy with other stuff right now, not related to devices. On top of this i found that the battery percentage does not update, record the battery status during the boot then this is all that show, i didn't had time to find why, however i added a bit of code that log in the dmesg the battery percentage to be able to see the battery level without reboot from a terminal....

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
Hi, you are perfectly right, i already mentioned that i am in the process publishing my additions, right now i am cleaning my code prior releasing the first public version, but is not just about my code, preparing for release is more than publishing my modifications/additions, it will be required to create a few howto pages, to update the wiki, to create multiple repos and packages for the ones that will not want to build the PMOS and just install and play. Unfortunately i am stuck in the cleaning process as i am very busy with other stuff right now, not related to devices. On top of this i found that the battery percentage does not update, record the battery status during the boot then this is all that show, i didn't had time to find why, however i added a bit of code that log in the dmesg the battery percentage to be able to see the battery level without reboot from a terminal....
Aah! I see.

Thats very responsible of you. I'm used to devs putting their source code up on github/gitlab or whatever with ZERO documentation.. good that youre one of the few who does the boring work(I assume) of writing good documentation.

Sounds great man!Keep it on ;). If I can help in any way Im available.

It sounds like you're really responsible so to minimize newbies mistakes that will just softbrick their tablets. Altho I think thats fixable with the right tools and technical knowhow.

Is it the writing the instructions that's time-consuming for you?
I know I dont know exactly how your code works but I could check for spelling errors maybe? I used to be pretty good in school both in swedish and english, especially English. The era of smartphones and autocorrect has degraded it a bit when I write online.

Ppl usually complain about my WOTs lol but I just have a need to be thorough. To not miss a thing u know.

Well, regardless, do as you feel is best for You :).

cheers :)

edit: I'm much better writing when I dont have Internet-standards in my back head, my grammar online ain't much to brag about haha.

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I think his work is great.
There is no rush to try it.
If you need help writing guides, trying it out or whatever, you can contact me.
I'm not a programmer, but I can help where I can.
yup I agree, Im not a coder yet, unless BASH and tearin my hair off because of Make-errors counts.

Im also volunteering if I could support u somehow(sadly not financially, struggling myself tbh) in this project. I think we all would love a real bootable Alpine-based distro on our Pad 5s :).

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I wouldn't mind trying to flash it on my Pad 5 just to beta/alpha-test it for ya with the assumption that if it bricks,softbrick I hope, I can fix the bootloader somehow. Im used to distrohopping,not as much in Android(much harder imo) so I wouldnt care to wipe and partition it all to flash the images. I know Backup-Fu.

Unfortunately i am stuck in the cleaning process as i am very busy with other stuff right now
I really hope you don't abandon this, because I know a couple of great projects (Galaxy S2 parallels android example:cry:) that have never been released. And it's very sad.

Specifically, on Galaxy S2 parallels android, I contacted the developers, they removed all the source code. This wonderful and promising technology will forever remain only in youtube(

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I really hope you don't abandon this, because I know a couple of great projects (Galaxy S2 parallels android example:cry:) that have never been released. And it's very sad.

Specifically, on Galaxy S2 parallels android, I contacted the developers, they removed all the source code. This wonderful and promising technology will forever remain only in youtube(
as long as he is makes it open source we rre safe. I have ni idea why he hasn't made it opensource right from the start. Im certain the odds that it wouldve a lot of dev wanting to fork and cinxre2.

Reactions: russanandres
as long as he is makes it open source we rre safe. I have ni idea why he hasn't made it opensource right from the start. Im certain the odds that it wouldve a lot of dev wanting to fork and cinxre2.
I didn't make the project public from the beginning for multiple reasons, first of all i didn't wanted to port anything, just poking around trying to see how Linux works on this device with SPI touch in order to be able to fix SPI/touch on my EDK2 port, well then i started to port PMOS, then mainline the kernel, then a lot of other issues, but the most important one that decided to not make the work public was the battery going empty if you do not pay attention as there were no battery level available. While i was working on this there were other people doing the same in parallel, you can check map220v for his version of PMOS if you really need that badly, is public.
Then, in order to make my work public should be cleaned, put all together, clone PMOS repos (gitlab) make the mods, ask for pull request, wait to be approved, etc, is not that easy to make something public if you want to make it right.....
All of the above require work and time spend, i do not have enough time those days, so will take a while but will be available, meanwhile you can play with map220v if you really want to try something....

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I didn't make the project public from the beginning for multiple reasons, first of all i didn't wanted to port anything, just poking around trying to see how Linux works on this device with SPI touch in order to be able to fix SPI/touch on my EDK2 port, well then i started to port PMOS, then mainline the kernel, then a lot of other issues, but the most important one that decided to not make the work public was the battery going empty if you do not pay attention as there were no battery level available. While i was working on this there were other people doing the same in parallel, you can check map220v for his version of PMOS if you really need that badly, is public.
Then, in order to make my work public should be cleaned, put all together, clone PMOS repos (gitlab) make the mods, ask for pull request, wait to be approved, etc, is not that easy to make something public if you want to make it right.....
All of the above require work and time spend, i do not have enough time those days, so will take a while but will be available, meanwhile you can play with map220v if you really want to try something....
I apologise , I was not very sober writing that. I sincerely regret sounding so negative. I dont know why I went there mentally.

Im so..SO sorry..I hope u believe me. Also I noticed some weird spelling errors in my last post lol ..

Reactions: serdeliuk
Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I think I meant if you make it open source in the end. When u dont have time, list interest in the project or whatever reason. Then it would be awesome if other devs could continue your work.that would be very nice. But I feel really bad for saying all of that in my drunken post, when I meant something way more nice to say.

Nov 23, 2021
OnePlus 5T
Xiaomi Mi Pad 5
I had no idea there were so many hurdles, Im no a dev ofc. Licenses and all that other stuff u mentioned I didn't know.

Tryanks

Sep 15, 2022
I think porting PMOS is just an appetizer for nabu, the real highlight is the EDK2 port and the porting of other Linux distributions. I think, based on your work, we can quickly achieve PCizing this device and extending it to all aspects except MacOS.
I think github is much more friendly and easy to use than gitlab, which is used for PMOS, so I strongly hope that your work outside of pure PMOS (Linux Kernel, EDK2) can be put on github. Even though I'm still a kernel rookie, I look forward to making pull requests and contributing:)

I apologise , I was not very sober writing that. I sincerely regret sounding so negative. I dont know why I went there mentally.

Im so..SO sorry..I hope u believe me. Also I noticed some weird spelling errors in my last post lol ..
Hi, actually is a very interesting question, but the answer is very complicated.... :D

I think I meant if you make it open source in the end. When u dont have time, list interest in the project or whatever reason. Then it would be awesome if other devs could continue your work.that would be very nice. But I feel really bad for saying all of that in my drunken post, when I meant something way more nice to say.
Relax, there were nothing bad said, and the question was in the air anyways, so was answered :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Happy New Year!!!
    I have upgraded the kernel to latest mainline 6.2-rc4 and ported all mods, still testing a bit, but i started to write the guide on how to install the preview images and soon i will publish the guide and images.
    Would be awesome! So you also release the kernel changes?
    I will release the source code for my project as patches (patch files) added to PostmarketOS source code available on GitLab creating a new device, this will follow to the release of the images of the preview as it is required a lot of extra work. I am publishing the source code as patches to let others quickly port them to newer kernels later.
    FYI i have updated the post #1
    [UPDATE 23 Jan 2023]
    - XDA staff is pushing me to provide kernel source waving the linux kernel's GPL OpenSource license.
    I am using the latest stable linux kernel which can be found here linux-6.1.7.tar.xz
    - I am using as well some mods made by others which are put together by map220v and this kernel may be found here sm8150-mainline
    - As anyone may know kernel modules/drivers can be closed source and my kernel modules will remain as such until i decide that i am ready to make them OpenSource.

JUST TO BE NOTED, I DIDN'T PROVIDED YET ANY ROM OR BINARY KERNEL, SO I AM NOT BOUND TO ANY GPL

[UPDATE 20 Jan 2023]
    - Mainlined to the latest kernel 6.2-rc4
    - Created the HowTo Resize internal storage on Xiaomi Pad 5 (nabu) and install PostmarketOS Preview
    - Preparing the preview images, please check https://github.com/serdeliuk/xiaomi-nabu-postmarketos

[UPDATE 17 Dec 2022]
    - Fixed battery charging, now battery is charging as well, on slow speed.
    Yet the battery indicator still do not work properly

[UPDATE 22 Oct 2022]
    - finally working battery status
    1666434328506.png

1666436173168.jpeg

[UPDATE 11 Sep 2022]
    - mainlined to 6.0-RC4
    - GPU is finally working
    - panel and brightness is working
    - bluetooths is working

[UPDATE 2 Jul 2022]
    - mainlined to the latest available kernel, 5.19.0-RC4
    - WiFi finally works
    nabu.wifi.ok.jpg

Hello,

I have successfully ported PostmarketOS to my Xiaomi Pad 5 tablet.
    pmos.working.touch.jpg

I have fixed SPI touchscreen and currently boot from B slot, on A slot is still Android (dual boot)
    WiFI do not work yet and the network is provided via USB, as the ssh access on the tablet too.

# here you can find the official page for this device
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page

I will keep you posted about the progress.

Best regards

M
    I have a bit of success, finally working battery status as you can see on images updated on #1 post
    I have created the official device page, is not ready yet, but a start
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page
    It's bluetooth, as well as the Smart Pen, but they don't work in non-stock... GSIs, for exemple
    Thanks for the info, if are bluetooth and if i will make the BT work then for sure I will find a way to make them work, will be a bit difficult to test as i do not have the keyboard or the pen and are a bit expensive....
    There is just a matter of time to make the already ported touchscreen driver from downstream to mainline to have the pen working, in regards to the keyboard that should work directly (without charging) the pogo pins probably have a hall sensor to activate the power output to charge the keyboard when connected, the same should exists on the other side for pen, but those are far away on my development scale, as right now i am trying to bring up the multi touch gestures and prepare a release, as the wifi works, even without GPU the tablet is usable as a Linux device already.
    You've achieved an awesome thing. Will you post image with instructions on here as you progress? Thanks anyway.
    Thank you, i will post here any progress i will have, right now i am working to publish a new device through PostmarketOS site and sources will be available through their repos, images as well.
    All required instructions about how to install will be available through PostmarketOS wiki pages