Search This thread
I had no idea there were so many hurdles, Im no a dev ofc. Licenses and all that other stuff u mentioned I didn't know.
All of those steps are required because i want to release the PostmarketOS for nabu officially supported, under the PMOS repositories on GitLab, and not as is on a noname/unknown repo on my GitHub account.

Reactions: lmgc1996
I think porting PMOS is just an appetizer for nabu, the real highlight is the EDK2 port and the porting of other Linux distributions. I think, based on your work, we can quickly achieve PCizing this device and extending it to all aspects except MacOS.
I think github is much more friendly and easy to use than gitlab, which is used for PMOS, so I strongly hope that your work outside of pure PMOS (Linux Kernel, EDK2) can be put on github. Even though I'm still a kernel rookie, I look forward to making pull requests and contributing:)
Interesting that you mentioned MacOS as the whole thing on my side started prior M1 release when i built a few hackintoshes around different CPUs and a few apps/helpers as macAura or VirtualBiosMod in my head was to port OSX for ARM on my lavender and knowing that they started to add universal binaries to their beta OSX i was super exited thinking that the new mac will have as well UEFI. At this point we know that they do not use UEFI anymore, yet EDK2 port for devices still remains an interesting thing, i will port Clover Bootloader at some point which is EDK2 mainly.
GitHub and GitLab are almost the same, both offer free and/or paid services, so is a matter of users what they choose, some prefer GitLab as is not owned by Microsoft.... :D

What the heck is EDK2? !i googled it but unfortunately your brain was made with more of them braincells and IQs than my amoeba-brain has.
The Tianocore's EDK2 is an OpenSource framework for firmware builders, any computer has a firmware and if is recent enough it is possible to be a UEFI firmware and maybe built on EDK2 platform/framework. In regards to nabu and qualcomm the XBL.img is an UEFI bootloader that contains UEFI drivers, this means that our device has an UEFI firmware that may load a custom UEFI bootloader, in my case a bootloader made on UEFI EDK2 platform. Even XBL bootloader is built on EDK2 framework. At this point a custom EDK2 bootloader can load original XBL devices drivers, some of them patched to fix different things that were not used at boot stage by the hardware vendor (Xiaomi in our case) and then instead to boot Android can boot any UEFI OS, mostly Windows, but can boot anything, including Linux. CloverBootloader is as well built on EDK2 platform.

With your kernel, is it possible to compile Twrp with the functional screen? I have tried several recoveries and sometimes they start and sometimes they don't. I don't know why. Only 1 cm is visible from the top. The first image is twrp, the second Orange fox and latest is bootloader
PXL_20221121_193241493.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20221121_194407860.jpg
    PXL_20221121_194407860.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20221121_200034868.jpg
    PXL_20221121_200034868.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 38
Last edited:
Do you want to port clover or opencore bootloader? I have installed several hackintosh and in the end, change to move to opencore, although it is more complicated to readjust, it seems more stable.
1 day ago they have updated the DSDT of the ED2K-MSM project. Based on the change log they resolved

Nabu: DSDT Update
- Fixed battery manager bug
- Added a test fuel gauge device
- Synchronize ACPI with the main line

Can these changes be useful for your postmarketOS port?

Last edited:
Con su kernel ¿es posible compilar Twrp con la pantalla funcional? He intentado varias recuperaciones y a veces comienzan y a veces no. No sé por qué. Solo se ve 1 cm de la parte superior. La primera imagen es twrp, la segunda Orange fox y latest es bootloader
Please use Google translate to ask your questions if you expect answers. You may need to ask your question in regards to TWRP on my related post at UNOFFICIAL] Xiaomi Pad 5 nabu OrangeFox/TWRP recovery

¿Quieres portar clover o opencore bootloader? He instalado varios hackintosh y al final, cambio de pasar a opencore, aunque es más complicado de reajustar, parece más estable. Hace 1 día han actualizado el DSDT del proyecto ED2K-MSM. Según el registro de cambios que han resuelto

Nabu: Actualización DSDT
- Corregido error de administrador de batería
- Se agregó un dispositivo de indicador de combustible de prueba
- Sincronizar ACPI con la línea principal

¿Pueden estos cambios ser útiles para su puerto postmarketOS?
Please use Google Translate to ask your questions if you expect answers. I port Clover because is better than OpenCore, on one hand, on the other one I prefer Clover.

Please use Google Translate to ask your questions if you expect answers. I port Clover because is better than OpenCore, on one hand, on the other one I prefer Clover.
Sorry i change to edge browser with autotransator. I write in english (used google translator ) but when post reply edge transtate it to spanish. Sorry i check it after postit

Reactions: serdeliuk
Please use Google translate to ask your questions if you expect answers. You may need to ask your question in regards to TWRP on my related post at UNOFFICIAL] Xiaomi Pad 5 nabu OrangeFox/TWRP recovery
I wanted to say that if the problem of the screen is because of the kernel or twrp. I've tried compiling Twrp but I can't get the screen to work.
The question is you think that with your mainline kernel you will be able to compile functional Twrp.
There's no rush for me to release it, it's to you know if you recomend me to keep testing builds, or recomend me to wait for you to release the mainline kernel.

I wanted to say that if the problem of the screen is because of the kernel or twrp. I've tried compiling Twrp but I can't get the screen to work.
The question is you think that with your mainline kernel you will be able to compile functional Twrp.
There's no rush for me to release it, it's to you know if you recomend me to keep testing builds, or recomend me to wait for you to release the mainline kernel.
Please use my TWRP thread for TWRP related questions addressed to me, this thread is for PostmarketOS porting. For your convenience i am adding again the link to the TWRP thread UNOFFICIAL] Xiaomi Pad 5 nabu OrangeFox/TWRP recovery

Tryanks

Sep 15, 2022
Hi, the Renegade community has fixed the charging capability of nabu on the WOA project, is it possible that the driver built on Windows On Arm could be a reference for PMOS?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Happy New Year!!!
    I have upgraded the kernel to latest mainline 6.2-rc4 and ported all mods, still testing a bit, but i started to write the guide on how to install the preview images and soon i will publish the guide and images.
    Would be awesome! So you also release the kernel changes?
    I will release the source code for my project as patches (patch files) added to PostmarketOS source code available on GitLab creating a new device, this will follow to the release of the images of the preview as it is required a lot of extra work. I am publishing the source code as patches to let others quickly port them to newer kernels later.
    FYI i have updated the post #1
    [UPDATE 23 Jan 2023]
    - XDA staff is pushing me to provide kernel source waving the linux kernel's GPL OpenSource license.
    I am using the latest stable linux kernel which can be found here linux-6.1.7.tar.xz
    - I am using as well some mods made by others which are put together by map220v and this kernel may be found here sm8150-mainline
    - As anyone may know kernel modules/drivers can be closed source and my kernel modules will remain as such until i decide that i am ready to make them OpenSource.

JUST TO BE NOTED, I DIDN'T PROVIDED YET ANY ROM OR BINARY KERNEL, SO I AM NOT BOUND TO ANY GPL

[UPDATE 20 Jan 2023]
    - Mainlined to the latest kernel 6.2-rc4
    - Created the HowTo Resize internal storage on Xiaomi Pad 5 (nabu) and install PostmarketOS Preview
    - Preparing the preview images, please check https://github.com/serdeliuk/xiaomi-nabu-postmarketos

[UPDATE 17 Dec 2022]
    - Fixed battery charging, now battery is charging as well, on slow speed.
    Yet the battery indicator still do not work properly

[UPDATE 22 Oct 2022]
    - finally working battery status
    1666434328506.png

1666436173168.jpeg

[UPDATE 11 Sep 2022]
    - mainlined to 6.0-RC4
    - GPU is finally working
    - panel and brightness is working
    - bluetooths is working

[UPDATE 2 Jul 2022]
    - mainlined to the latest available kernel, 5.19.0-RC4
    - WiFi finally works
    nabu.wifi.ok.jpg

Hello,

I have successfully ported PostmarketOS to my Xiaomi Pad 5 tablet.
    pmos.working.touch.jpg

I have fixed SPI touchscreen and currently boot from B slot, on A slot is still Android (dual boot)
    WiFI do not work yet and the network is provided via USB, as the ssh access on the tablet too.

# here you can find the official page for this device
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page

I will keep you posted about the progress.

Best regards

M
    I have a bit of success, finally working battery status as you can see on images updated on #1 post
    I have created the official device page, is not ready yet, but a start
    PostmarketOS Xiaomi-nabu page
    It's bluetooth, as well as the Smart Pen, but they don't work in non-stock... GSIs, for exemple
    Thanks for the info, if are bluetooth and if i will make the BT work then for sure I will find a way to make them work, will be a bit difficult to test as i do not have the keyboard or the pen and are a bit expensive....
    There is just a matter of time to make the already ported touchscreen driver from downstream to mainline to have the pen working, in regards to the keyboard that should work directly (without charging) the pogo pins probably have a hall sensor to activate the power output to charge the keyboard when connected, the same should exists on the other side for pen, but those are far away on my development scale, as right now i am trying to bring up the multi touch gestures and prepare a release, as the wifi works, even without GPU the tablet is usable as a Linux device already.
    You've achieved an awesome thing. Will you post image with instructions on here as you progress? Thanks anyway.
    Thank you, i will post here any progress i will have, right now i am working to publish a new device through PostmarketOS site and sources will be available through their repos, images as well.
    All required instructions about how to install will be available through PostmarketOS wiki pages