• XDA Forums have been migrated to XenForo. We are aware of several issues including missing threads, logins not working, and more. To discuss, use this thread.
  • If you are experiencing issues logging in, we moved to a new and more secure software and older account passwords were not able to be migrated. We recommend trying to reset your password, then contacting us if there are issues.

[INFO]SD Card Partition: ext2/3/4

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
So, read here if you want to know more information about parititioning sd cards and using scripts to install apps on them!:good:

Note:
1. Android has inbuilt feature to move apps to sd card but it is limited.:(
2. Gps, widgets etc cannot be moved to sd card!

Apps weren't allowed to be installed on sd cards because they can't be easily located in internal memory(without root access) but in sd card it can be done easily and hence piracy would be easy!:mad:
So now a folder called .android_secure is present in sd card where all the data of apps moved is kept!

FAT32 AND EXT

Android doesn't seem to support NTFS, so your SD Card is just one big FAT32 Parition. FAT32 is universal to most of the machines unlike NTFS.:good:

EXT is also a file system like FAT32/NTFS, it is internally generated by android and works on Linux:angel:

EXT has following versions ext2,3,4

EXT2
It's a just a system partition but main disadvantage of ext2 is that it does not provide "journaling"

Journaling

A journaling file system has a dedicated area called Journal where it keeps track of all changes before it is committed to main file system, hence in any event of crash system can be brought back quickly without much loss or corruption!:good::)

Remember in days of Windows 98/XP, whenever an undesired shutdown was performed, disk checking would take place after reboot, that is your FAT32 hard drive checking if there is damage or not! Similar happens in android which is known as "media scanning" at reboot.This is due to lack of jouranling. Latest computers have NTFS, hence such things don't occur in Windows 7/8, because NTFS provides journaling.:D

EXT 3/4
They are the latest versions of ext3/4 and provide journaling. Hence system performance is more than ext2. They are higly recommended to use. Both are similar but ext4 is new. Since they have journaling, they can be readily used without breaking gps, widgets and now memory can increased to 512mb, 1gb etc..:good::)

Which one to use?
Both ext2 and ext4 have both advantages and disadvantages.

Ext2 does not provide journaling so it will be slow on boot.Ext2 will provide more compatibility with ROMs as it is old and quite popular. It also causes less wear and tear and CPU overhead. :good:
Ext4 will provide fast boot up time but will cause more wear and tear and CPU overhead!:confused:

The problem of wear and tear is more like a myth because r/w cycles are so large, by the time it will affect anything u'll have bought a new phone!:silly::p

Read more
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=800353

LINK2SD
Link2sd is an app which allows you to move move apps manually to secondary partition. Another unique option is that you can force certain apps to sd card without partition too.. Head to thread for more info
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=919326

Here are some useful links:
Script to mount SD-EXT at boot
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1971689

Cronmod/Data2sdext Unofficial Mod
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1955422

Source
Random internet/forum search and wikipedia:good:

Last edited:

Xx James xX

Jan 6, 2013
Occasionally upon an unclean shutdown my Windows 7 Netbook performs disk checking...

Thanks for the info!

The usual Xx James xX only on mobile (XDA Premium)

R

rahulnandwani

Ext2 is considered to be the best for using link2sd
Correct me if I'm wrong
Sugg:Add link2sd also in your info

Sent from my GT-S5830i using xda premium

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
Ext2 is considered to be the best for using link2sd
Correct me if I'm wrong
Sugg:Add link2sd also in your info

ext2 systems were more popular during pre-froyo time when internal memory were near 5-10 mb. apps2sd was also developed at that time...but from what i heard at forums including xda that ext3 is best!! ext2 is acting more like a followed trend...however if u have more info on this please share!

performance wise i can confirm that ext3 is better than ext2! Because they are same linux partition but ext2 became obselete as soon as ext3 was introduced!

Last edited:
R

rahulnandwani

Think so I too followed the trend
I am also using Ext2 for link2sd
As I was told it was better than ext3 for using link2sd :p

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

I think so it is also followed cos it's compatible with most devices and stock roms(any rom) while ext 3 on some stock rom isn't
Maybe that could be the reason of its popularity
And ur right ext3 is the best
Sorry for the confusion caused by me

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
Think so I too followed the trend
I am also using Ext2 for link2sd
As I was told it was better than ext3 for using link2sd :p

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:44 PM ----------

I think so it is also followed cos it's compatible with most devices and stock roms(any rom) while ext 3 on some stock rom isn't
Maybe that could be the reason of its popularity
And ur right ext3 is the best
Sorry for the confusion caused by me

ext4 is generally not compatible with others...ext3 is ..i guess

i've read various forums and verdict is:
ext2 is simple and requires less CPU usage
ext3/4 is fast at boot but requires more CPU usage.

read on
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=800353

vishalkashi777

Jan 20, 2013
Yeah but i cant make a ext3 partition is this because it says invalid argument anyine solve this issue plz......and also i made an ext3 partition before at that time iwas on stock and partitiined spacw is 512mb but then i deleted partitiin created 1gb partition and flashed sumplicity v5 and then it shows error invalid argument anyone plz help me

Dont thank the people who dont thank you :D

js2892

Jul 28, 2012
Bangalore
Yeah but i cant make a ext3 partition is this because it says invalid argument anyine solve this issue plz......and also i made an ext3 partition before at that time iwas on stock and partitiined spacw is 512mb but then i deleted partitiin created 1gb partition and flashed sumplicity v5 and then it shows error invalid argument anyone plz help me

Dont thank the people who dont thank you :D
i've never used partitions..but the best i know is that partition and scripts for data2sd etc should be flashed after flashing custom roms...
perhaps delete the partition and repartition ur card!

Reactions: vishalkashi777

oshunluvr

Jun 12, 2012
Some misinformation maybe...

I am not experienced with many android devices, but I am very experienced with linux based file systems.

EXT3 is not faster than EXT2 in any circumstance. EXT4 is only as fast (or very nearly so) as EXT2 if you turn off journaling.

Journaling does not improve performance, in fact it reduces performance if by performance you mean speed.

EXT2 is faster because it does not journal.

There's no reason at all to use EXT3. Use EXT2 if speed is what you want. EXT4 can be used if you have the ability to control mounting options, otherwise if left to defaults will not be as fast. Journaling serves to prevent data loss through metadata checksums.

AFAIK, backing up your personal data (pics, music, whatever) off your phone is the only real way to keep them safe and re-installing apps just isn't that difficult.

I will say this again though: I am not an android expert, I'm only speaking to filesystems and performance.

Reactions: C-Jon

paradoxiumwind

Jul 23, 2012
Is there a Windows (8.1) tool that can read / manage an SD card partitions, including EXT2/3/4 partitions?

Preferibly freeware that doesn't require an install and isn't filled with bloat/malware.