[INFO] WTH is this A9 and A8 Cortex stuff ?? The Sensation CPU is A9 Period.

Search This thread

D69K

Nov 17, 2009
Riyadh
a9msm8260.jpg

title says it all.

kaiserkannon

Aug 24, 2008
Considering it lists the single core snapdragons as a8, and the dual core snapdragon as a9, when they both contain the same cpu design, that source clearly has issues. Its neither a8 nor a9 but performance wise its somewhere in between. Though it has better neon performance than both.

YoMarK

Sep 15, 2007
It's completely irrelevant anyway.
ARM is the company who gives licenses to other company to use their technology, but it's not a final product.
The thing that matters is the actual performance.

kampf

Jun 21, 2007
As mentioned before, ARM is the company whose designs all of these CPUs are based upon.

Apple, Samsung, nvidia, Qualcomm, TI, LG, and others license these designs and are at liberty to make changes to how they behave.

The differences between all of the dual-core versions from these companies is vast, not taking into consideration which GPU they use.

The Tegra 2, for example, doesn't have the per-core throttling that Qualcomm and others will probably have. This is probably a result of how quick to market the Tegra 2 was and how efficiently nvidia can produce chips.

It's all very fascinating, and I'm looking forward to owning an A5, Tegra 2, and MSM at the same time.

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
As mentioned before, ARM is the company whose designs all of these CPUs are based upon.

Apple, Samsung, nvidia, Qualcomm, TI, LG, and others license these designs and are at liberty to make changes to how they behave.

The differences between all of the dual-core versions from these companies is vast, not taking into consideration which GPU they use.

The Tegra 2, for example, doesn't have the per-core throttling that Qualcomm and others will probably have. This is probably a result of how quick to market the Tegra 2 was and how efficiently nvidia can produce chips.

It's all very fascinating, and I'm looking forward to owning an A5, Tegra 2, and MSM at the same time.

Despite having "vast" differences there are very few differences speed differences between CPUS.

The biggest differences between the hummingbird and the snapdragon is the GPU.

kampf

Jun 21, 2007
^^ I agree. I did some research into the A8, A9, and core differences again last night. The MSM chip used in the Sensation is a much-modified A8. Qualcomm loves to tinker with the ARM designs.

I do think it's still probably a better chip than the Tegra2, but not the A5/Exy.

tolis626

Dec 31, 2009
Amaliada
Well,it really isn't A8 nor A9.We could say Qualcomm has its "own'' architecture.The Snapdragon's first generation(HD2,Desire etc) was very very close to the A8.The second gen Snapdragon is more A9 than A8.Enhanced chipsets,faster memories,larger RAM etc are all part of it.And Qualcomm's were the only single-core chipsets that could boast this much.Overclockable @2+ GHz without getting fried?I am running my Desire HD daily @1.8GHz and it's stable,it doesn't get hot and it feels faster and smoother than everything I have laid hands onto.
I am very excited to see what the Sensation will bring.AND if it'll rival the Galaxy S 2. :)

Maedhros

Sep 24, 2008
Toronto
Well,it really isn't A8 nor A9.We could say Qualcomm has its "own'' architecture.The Snapdragon's first generation(HD2,Desire etc) was very very close to the A8.The second gen Snapdragon is more A9 than A8.Enhanced chipsets,faster memories,larger RAM etc are all part of it.And Qualcomm's were the only single-core chipsets that could boast this much.Overclockable @2+ GHz without getting fried?I am running my Desire HD daily @1.8GHz and it's stable,it doesn't get hot and it feels faster and smoother than everything I have laid hands onto.
I am very excited to see what the Sensation will bring.AND if it'll rival the Galaxy S 2. :)

regardless of if it is closer to a9 or not, it's competitors are putting up better benchmarks, so we end up getting ****tier hardware.

Our Apps
Get our official app!
The best way to access XDA on your phone
Nav Gestures
Add swipe gestures to any Android
One Handed Mode
Eases uses one hand with your phone