• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

General Initial impressions

Search This thread

danw_oz

Jul 12, 2011
Brisbane
I'm pretty sure that without root, you can't manually toggle HBM with a simple app. At least that was the case with previous Pixel phones, they all required root to force HBM.

There are some phone manufacturers that allow you to toggle HBM without root, but - at least up until the Pixel 5, to my knowledge - Google is not one of them.
You are correct. It works without root by switching between your preset brightness to 100% by turning it on. It was hardware dependant if the hardware supports it. Flar2's Kernel's had the mode to leverage the harwares max capable brightness I believe

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
First battery charge and left over night. 8 percent drop in 9 hours. Little bit more than I was expecting but nothing to worry about. Most of my other phones would drop about 3 or 4 percent in that time
I found the Pixel 6 wasn't always going into deep sleep mode, so was stuck on ticking the CPU over at 300Mhz. The recent update and a restart seems to have it behaving better and it is entering deep sleep mode when not in use.

Really though my thoughts are, given the large battery and newer chipset which are more power efficient doing maintenance tasks and modems being more power efficient, when a device isn't doing anything, it should be dropping less in percentage terms than previous devices did.

Reactions: roirraW "edor" ehT

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Initial impressions:

* It's way too big
* The fingerprint reader SUCKS, hard. I liked the one on the pixel 5 SOOOOO much more
* The wifi reception is 5-15 dBm WORSE than the pixel 5
* There's a bug where the screen ALWAYS turns on when you lift the phone, even if you've disabled both options (lift to wake, tap to check)
* The USB connection to Android Auto is RIDICULOUSLY finnicky. If you so much as move the phone a tiny bit while driving it loses connection to android auto.

I will probably end up returning this phone and go back to my Pixel 5. I have 15 days to decide but it's not looking hopeful.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
I tried that out many times, didn't work. Got the EU Pixel 6 Pro version, running build number with 210817.015.

Anyone else here in Europe that tried to update? Did it work for you? Or is it US only for now?
I got the update yesterday in the UK, however it only gave me the update once I had inserted a SIM card, so not sure if that is connected or not to how quickly the update might be delivered.

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Initial impressions:

* It's way too big
Its actually pretty tiny from my point of view. What it is, is TALL.

* The fingerprint reader SUCKS, hard. I liked the one on the pixel 5 SOOOOO much more
Biometrics are not protected by anti-self-incrimination laws, therefore you shouldn't use it anyway. If you don't have something to hide, you don't need it locked.

* The wifi reception is 5-15 dBm WORSE than the pixel 5
That number is subject to calibrations and therefore is not good for comparison device-to-device. If you want to know the wifi signal strength, take the two devices and simultaneously run a speed test, and see which one craps out sooner as you walk away from the AP.

Sometimes it can also be subject to inversion. When you are too close to the AP, the device with BETTER reception may be more overwhelmed and therefore lose signal. This means that the lower number may actually be indicating that the device is more sensitive and has a longer range.

I noticed that cellular reception was showing lower on P6P than Nexus 6, Pixel 2XL, or Pixel 3a. But the funny thing was that it held the signal better than the other phones when I went into my basement. The P6P and Nexus 6 both hold the signal in the basement, the P2XL and P3a both lost the signal.

* There's a bug where the screen ALWAYS turns on when you lift the phone, even if you've disabled both options (lift to wake, tap to check)
Perhaps, but it doesn't seem to be hitting anyone besides you, so I think its probably something that is mucked up in your settings which could be corrected with a factory reset.

* The USB connection to Android Auto is RIDICULOUSLY finnicky. If you so much as move the phone a tiny bit while driving it loses connection to android auto.
You might want to get a new wire. Try the one the phone came with.
And didn't they fix android auto to work wirelessly?

96carboard

Jul 17, 2018
Battery life is pretty poor I reckon. Also don't have the option to turn off 5g. On an ee contract...
I don't think you've had it long enough to make that determination, for a few reasons;
1) This type of battery doesn't reach full capacity until after several cycles.
2) You're probably using the new phone differently for now.

Both of those will result in seeming to have a low battery life, but both will rectify in time.

xdaweaver

Nov 26, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I don't think you've had it long enough to make that determination, for a few reasons;
1) This type of battery doesn't reach full capacity until after several cycles.
2) You're probably using the new phone differently for now.

Both of those will result in seeming to have a low battery life, but both will rectify in time.
Fair shout. Also, the only thing tech companies are complaining about is battery life. Surely with tensor and Google's software updates this can be improved?

m03sizlak

Jun 28, 2010
Buffalo, NY

Perhaps, but it doesn't seem to be hitting anyone besides you, so I think its probably something that is mucked up in your settings which could be corrected with a factory reset.

It's hitting many people aside from just me:

In all likelihood it's hitting every user, period.

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
It's hitting many people aside from just me:

In all likelihood it's hitting every user, period.
This appears to be a feature implemented in typical Google fashion where it isn't clear what is happening to the user. So you can always find the position to place your thumb the display turns on even when set not to. It has been confirmed that if you remove the finger print unlock option it stops turning on when picked up.

Reactions: 96carboard

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
What are people's phone call quality like?
Seems on par with most phones. Mine connected up to EE (in UK) with no issues, 4G calling works and Wi-Fi calling works. Sound quality seems good to me and to the person on the other end I asked said I sounded clear.

It's never going to be high fidelity through a tiny speaker, you'll want some headphones for that.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi folks,

Had the phone for 5 days now. Here are my thoughts on battery- it averages 4 hours SoC for me always on a first setup. I had to wipe it again due to a pac change. From initial setup the day after, and wiping the day after, after about 24hrs use the battery life significantly increases. Averaging 6-7 hrs depending how much I use it. I'm not a super user, but typical social media browsing, bit of Call of duty, and a lot of YouTube. I'm impressed with the battery life after being so cynical initially. I have purchased the additional Google fast charger which I'll cycle once a fortnight probably. Considering this is the first iteration of android 12, plus one security update, I think Google have time to improve on what is a GOOD phone, it isn't bad, it's very good.
    Got my Sunny Yellow one delivered this morning so been playing with it most of the day. Initial impressions are very good, some are listed below. Feel free to list your own.

The fingerprint scanner was a little off but after an update came in i deleted my fingerprints and re-did them and its been fine ever since. Couple of times it hasnt worked but i think thats because the screen is so smooth/slippery that my thumb slipped on the screen as it was trying to read it.

I dont have a 5g plan or even 5g signal where i am to test but so far 4g speeds are exactly the same as my pixel 2xl and oppo reno 2 ive come from.

I dont really like having the "internet" tile, id prefer having them seperate the wifi and mobile data tab. Just seems strange to add a further click to enable/disable wifi when i want to instead of just hitting the tab.

On the home screen if you make a folder then the apps slightly overhang the edge of the circle which just looks odd to me, i wish they were all within the folder.

I wish there was an option of disabling the big clock on the lock screen. I have a picture of my partner on my lock screen and when picking up the phone id rather see her than her face covered by a huge clock

The phone got very hot when setting up and transferring apps/data from my old phone but has been fine since.

I love the screen and how smooth everything flows. I dont see any issue with brightness personally. Ill see how battery life performs over the coming days
    The camera hump on the back really exposes the glass to potential damage. If I were designing the thing, I'd make the entire back stick out higher than the camera glass, and fill in the space with more battery.

The rounded edge screen is pretty terrible. There are optical distortions along the sides. The radius of the edge should be reduced to around 1 mm.

A little more width on the screen would be nice. This is 71.5mm. Nexus 6 was 74, which was a lot nicer. 80 would be a dream.

A little bit of border around the screen would also be nice so you have somewhere to actually hold the thing. Function should be paramount, not form, and especially not goofy/ugly form like these have. A bit of border above the screen would make space to get the camera out of the screen instead of the ugly hole. I also hate the rounded corners on the screen. Software rounded corners are ok, because you can disable them, there is no reason to force it with paint on the inside surface of the glass.
    I sold my 16/512GB S21 Ultra for the Pixel 6 Pro and I'm so underwhelmed, considering returning it.

My 0.02:
    - Optical FP. This is very slow compared to the S21 Ultra. Did I mention it's optical?
    - Limited customisations. I can't find a way to change the ugly ass lockscreen clock???
    - No light up notification options at all besides third party apps
    - No Dolby Atmos or even any audio EQ for that matter
    - Some apps don't run at 120Hz like Telegram which is locked to 60Hz. No issue on my Samsung.
    - No option for fullscreen apps / games so you get an ugly black bar at the top. Pokemon Go for example.
    - Mobile data seems unreliable. I have to quit and reopen apps for them to work.
    - No WiFi QS toggle
    - Device can get uncomfortably warm
    - No ambient display options
    - No AoD options

This phone's offering is average at best and is riding on sheer hype peddled by reviewers.
    Screen for me is fine for brightness I have high brightness mode widget and it is much brighter than the 4xl
    Whoa! There's such a thing? Please, the name of it.
    According to Goggle I have a defective unit and they are going to swap it out