General Initial impressions

Search This thread

Morgrain

Aug 4, 2015
Camera libs?

If you dare unlock the bootloader - let's take the Samsung Fold 3 - they DEACTIVATE the camera. It won't function, not for one singular second. It's broken at that point. That's not a minor nuisance, that's the deliberate destruction of a primary phones function. It means that Samsung does not want you to under no circumstances (only if you are a developer who doesn't give a **** about that) to customize your phone in any meaningful way.

If you believe that such a brand or line of phones can give you freedom - then yes, you don't know what freedom means.

And no, noone here with the right mind and reasoning behind is "pretending" - the phone isn't perfect, and it seems that some people here might have hardware related issues, even though some like "dull colors" might just be personal taste stuff, because they are used to oversaturated monstrosities. Yellow-ish tint or something like that though, that needs to be looked into.

danielson2047

Aug 1, 2010
I'm trying to see where any logic is in this post; alas I'm failing!

"ooh, lets bang on about whether I can unlock a bootloader. Lets complain if a company doesnt make their camera libs available. Let's pretend inferior hardware is better because it may not include so many bundled apps"

.... Um.... pointless!
Sounds like you should have never ordered a pixel in the first place. Its not a bad thing, different strokes for differnt folks.

stuclark

May 15, 2006
London, UK
Sounds like you should have never ordered a pixel in the first place. Its not a bad thing, different strokes for differnt folks.
I'm regretting that I did. I genuinly thought Google might have done it right this time. Alas, my earlier doubt proved to be correct.

I'll never move to iOS, but as far as Android goes, some of the OEMs do it *way* better than Google. Especially when it comes to hardware!

Don't forget that people that are active in XDA are 95% tech enthusiasts that have very specific needs. It's easy to point out very small nuisances if you know your ****, most people on this planet will be happy with any high end phone - whether it be Samsung, Google, Apple or Oppo. The average joe just want's Youtube, Spotify, Google Maps, Netflix and Whatsapp to function. Display color? Muhahaha, I have friends that don't even know what calibration means, they don't know what nits means, or HDR, or refresh rate; there are people that watch on 50 Euro televisions that have a picture quality where I get optical aids. If I'd tell one of those friends "your colors are over saturated, all the edges are bleeding in, plus your black is grey" they would react like: "What? What does that mean? This looks nice."

You can only be critical and know your ****, if you have a point of reference. If someone spends his life using one phone, let's take the Google Pixel 1 for example, and never experiences another - he will tell you it's the perfect phone. Because it is the perfect phone for him.

That's especially true for people that never spent big money on tech.

You see where I'm going with this?

People like us don't represent the majority of users, trust me on that.
I"m that guy who is still using the OG Pixel XL. I borrowed an Iphone SE for four months just to have the experience of the ecosystem. I enjoyed it it was fun and easy. I couldn't use my tic watch pro the same way on Wear OS and the Feel the Wear App. I enjoy doing the simple fine tuning on Android to my liking, that's why I still use my Pixel XL.

I plan on getting the 6 Pro, Played with the demo at BBY enjoyed it and I look forward to buying.

Soepersoeper

Mar 30, 2021
I've owned every single pixel since the Nexus 6P. I skipped pixel 5 and was running a p4xl for a long time. Decided to jump the gun with an s21U and used Google camera app. Can't say I enjoyed using the Samsung software but overall not terrible. Hated the Samsung camera processing. Battery, screen and fingerprint reader great however.

Just got my 6P yesterday and so far:

Love:
Vanilla Android 12
Smoothness
Battery Life on par with my s21U
Google camera reliability
Screen is smooth, sharp, colors are good and brightness in the sun is great.

Not impressed:
Screen curve is more curved than s21U
Fingerprint is distracting with optical
Camera isn't as great as my expectations
Hollow screen sound on taps
Video recording on telephoto 4x seems to still be using a digital zoom from the main camera

xdaweaver

Nov 26, 2013
Google Pixel 6 Pro
Hi folks,

Had the phone for 5 days now. Here are my thoughts on battery- it averages 4 hours SoC for me always on a first setup. I had to wipe it again due to a pac change. From initial setup the day after, and wiping the day after, after about 24hrs use the battery life significantly increases. Averaging 6-7 hrs depending how much I use it. I'm not a super user, but typical social media browsing, bit of Call of duty, and a lot of YouTube. I'm impressed with the battery life after being so cynical initially. I have purchased the additional Google fast charger which I'll cycle once a fortnight probably. Considering this is the first iteration of android 12, plus one security update, I think Google have time to improve on what is a GOOD phone, it isn't bad, it's very good.

Reactions: skimminstones

hibby50

Jan 26, 2008
forum.ppcgeeks.com
I've had about 24 hours of hands on time now with the P6P.

I've been using and flashing smartphones since the windows mobile days and using Android since it was available in the United States. I've used everything from HTC to Samsung to Nexus to LG to Pixel to OnePlus.

I have little to no issues with the hardware of the phone. I'm fairly confident that the fingerprint slowness Will be resolved in an update. My preference would be for the buttons in a different location, but that's all. The hollow screen is interesting, but when using the phone I never can tell the difference

My main issues stem from Android 12. I am really not enjoying the UI. The lack of transparency throughout the OS is jarring. Almost everything is on a flat black background. The limited number of quick settings tiles are really bothersome. I feel as though there's also a lack of customization options. I increased the DPI of the display and that made it a little bit better. My last device was a Galaxy s21 plus and I'm really missing the clear all button on recents and the ability to hide the gesture bar. A feature I really liked on the s21 was that you could customize the vibration pattern for notifications and calls, none of that here. Also the lock screen clock can't be changed.

The speech to text is absolutely incredible, I can't comment on battery life because it's only been 24 hours but I've only charged once in that time and I'm on 18%. I'm expecting battery life to be fine.

I'm hoping some custom ROMs are able to bridge the feature gap, but it's been over a year since I flashed one, and I don't really want to have to do that to get these features. After I sell my s21 plus this phone will have cost $400 net. I'm struggling to say that it's worth it, considering I didn't have to worry about custom ROMs on the Samsung.

Since I can't stand all the pre-installed Samsung apps, and OnePlus is moving to color OS, this is probably where I'll stay.

Last edited:

Phoquetopus

Jun 2, 2016
Google Pixel 6 Pro
I've had about 24 hours of hands on time now with the P6P.

I've been using and flashing smartphones since the windows mobile days and using Android since it was available in the United States. I've used everything from HTC to Samsung to Nexus to LG to Pixel to OnePlus.

I have little to no issues with the hardware of the phone. I'm fairly confident that the fingerprint slowness Will be resolved in an update. My preference would be for the buttons in a different location, but that's all. The hollow screen is interesting, but when using the phone I never can tell the difference

My main issues stem from Android 12. I am really not enjoying the UI. The lack of transparency throughout the OS is jarring. Almost everything is on a flat black background. The limited number of quick settings tiles are really bothersome. I feel as though there's also a lack of customization options. I increased the DPI of the display and that made it a little bit better. My last device was a Galaxy s21 plus and I'm really missing the clear all button on recents and the ability to hide the gesture bar. A feature I really liked on the s21 was that you could customize the vibration pattern for notifications and calls, none of that here. Also the lock screen clock can't be changed.

The speech to text is absolutely incredible, I can't comment on battery life because it's only been 24 hours but I've only charged once in that time and I'm on 18%. I'm expecting battery life to be fine.

I'm hoping some custom ROMs are able to bridge the feature gap, but it's been over a year since I flashed one, and I don't really want to have to do that to get these features. After I sell my s21 plus this phone will have cost $400 net. I'm struggling to say that it's worth it, considering I didn't have to worry about custom ROMs on the Samsung.

Since I can't stand all the pre-installed Samsung apps, and OnePlus is moving to color OS, this is probably where I'll stay.
Pros: voice dictation, the "now playing" function is surprisingly awesome, face un-blur, camera slightly improved. Feels good in the hand. Display and and animations are buttery smooth.

Cons: fingerprint scanner is one of the worst I've ever used, auto focus when using telephoto lens is horrid, 50% of the time the post processing on the photos make it look worse when using the telephoto lens, battery life is mediocre, magic eraser is gimmicky and only works well in very specific situations.
Hopefully a few upgrades can fix the camera issues because otherwise I might as well have just gotten the six

PhilipL2021

Oct 27, 2021
The lack of transparency throughout the OS is jarring. Almost everything is on a flat black background. The limited number of quick settings tiles are really bothersome. I feel as though there's also a lack of customization options. I increased the DPI of the display and that made it a little bit better.
I'm with you on this, who thought the quick setting tiles was an improvement? I look at my old Pixel 2 XL and bring down the settings and it just looks professional, well laid out and like it is part of the UI.

Android 12 the buttons are huge, the corners are too round and too much padding inside, so there is tonnes of wasted space, so we see less unless we scroll more. So now when there is more information to be shown in the setting lozenge, because of all the paddding, they've had to introduce some silly scrolling text so you can read it all, which is crazy given the screen realestate we have now. So we have smaller font and have to watch it scroll backwards and forwards to read it all. Not only does that take more time and effort from the user, it needs processing to scroll that text, which will sip a bit more power or cause the GPU to ramp up its clock speed, and that those little things all add up to worse battery life.

Changes for changes sake, that is Android. I see little improved with Android 12, but a lot of things made worse and just less pleasing to use.

Markeee

Sep 29, 2012
South Florida
eSim or dual sim is a must have feature for me on my next upgrade so after I heard that the One UI 4.0 beta enabled eSims support in the US on the S21 I hastily ran out and snagged a deal on Fold 3 off Swappa. Thinking that it defiantly had to be coming to the fold also. Well I was wrong got the phone today updated to the UI 4.0 beta and dame no eSim support not happy . Now I'm thinking get rid of it and get a Pixel 6 Pro instead ?
I don't hear much of any discussion about the eSim on the pixel how's it working people happy with it ?
is it pretty stable any limitations buggyness or disappointments with it ?
Just totally sick of carrying around 2 phones need a reliable way to handle personal and biz line txting and calling off of one phone . Will the pixel get me what I need ?

MrBelter

Apr 10, 2011
This is concerning "Nova launcher crashes which is a shame because I don't like the search bar forced at the bottom of the screen on the pixel launcher." Hopefully there will be an update to Nova soon.

All the negative feedback on the rounded edges are making me consider the Pixel 6 versus the Pro. I think the base RAM on the 6 is fine. Giving up the Zoom is tougher to consider.
I am sure everyone has done this now but just rebooting the phone sorted that out on my Pro and my wifes 6

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my Sunny Yellow one delivered this morning so been playing with it most of the day. Initial impressions are very good, some are listed below. Feel free to list your own.

The fingerprint scanner was a little off but after an update came in i deleted my fingerprints and re-did them and its been fine ever since. Couple of times it hasnt worked but i think thats because the screen is so smooth/slippery that my thumb slipped on the screen as it was trying to read it.

I dont have a 5g plan or even 5g signal where i am to test but so far 4g speeds are exactly the same as my pixel 2xl and oppo reno 2 ive come from.

I dont really like having the "internet" tile, id prefer having them seperate the wifi and mobile data tab. Just seems strange to add a further click to enable/disable wifi when i want to instead of just hitting the tab.

On the home screen if you make a folder then the apps slightly overhang the edge of the circle which just looks odd to me, i wish they were all within the folder.

I wish there was an option of disabling the big clock on the lock screen. I have a picture of my partner on my lock screen and when picking up the phone id rather see her than her face covered by a huge clock

The phone got very hot when setting up and transferring apps/data from my old phone but has been fine since.

I love the screen and how smooth everything flows. I dont see any issue with brightness personally. Ill see how battery life performs over the coming days
    The camera hump on the back really exposes the glass to potential damage. If I were designing the thing, I'd make the entire back stick out higher than the camera glass, and fill in the space with more battery.

The rounded edge screen is pretty terrible. There are optical distortions along the sides. The radius of the edge should be reduced to around 1 mm.

A little more width on the screen would be nice. This is 71.5mm. Nexus 6 was 74, which was a lot nicer. 80 would be a dream.

A little bit of border around the screen would also be nice so you have somewhere to actually hold the thing. Function should be paramount, not form, and especially not goofy/ugly form like these have. A bit of border above the screen would make space to get the camera out of the screen instead of the ugly hole. I also hate the rounded corners on the screen. Software rounded corners are ok, because you can disable them, there is no reason to force it with paint on the inside surface of the glass.
    I sold my 16/512GB S21 Ultra for the Pixel 6 Pro and I'm so underwhelmed, considering returning it.

My 0.02:
    - Optical FP. This is very slow compared to the S21 Ultra. Did I mention it's optical?
    - Limited customisations. I can't find a way to change the ugly ass lockscreen clock???
    - No light up notification options at all besides third party apps
    - No Dolby Atmos or even any audio EQ for that matter
    - Some apps don't run at 120Hz like Telegram which is locked to 60Hz. No issue on my Samsung.
    - No option for fullscreen apps / games so you get an ugly black bar at the top. Pokemon Go for example.
    - Mobile data seems unreliable. I have to quit and reopen apps for them to work.
    - No WiFi QS toggle
    - Device can get uncomfortably warm
    - No ambient display options
    - No AoD options

This phone's offering is average at best and is riding on sheer hype peddled by reviewers.
    Screen for me is fine for brightness I have high brightness mode widget and it is much brighter than the 4xl
    Whoa! There's such a thing? Please, the name of it.
    According to Goggle I have a defective unit and they are going to swap it out