• Introducing XDA Computing: Discussion zones for Hardware, Software, and more!    Check it out!

How To Guide Install any custom ROM on ROG Phone 5 / 5s (GSI)

Search This thread

Install any GSI on your ROG Phone 5

First of all I want to say that I am NOT responsible of anything you do to your device.

What is a GSI?

A generic system image (GSI) is a system image with adjusted configurations for Android devices. It's considered a pure Android implementation with unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code that any Android device running Android 8.1 or higher can run successfully.

GSIs are used for running VTS and CTS-on-GSI tests. The system image of an Android device is replaced with a GSI then tested with the Vendor Test Suite (VTS) and the Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) to ensure that the device implements vendor interfaces correctly with the latest version of Android.

What GSI do I install?

There are multiple GSI you can choose (AOSP, LineageOS, Pixel Experience, ProtonAOSP, etc).
Here is a list of every GSI you can install: Generic System Image (GSI) list

For ROG Phone 5, you need to choose a A/B partition style and arm64 architecture GSI.

How do I install a GSI?

First of all, make a backup of your device (optional):
In the Settings app: "Settings > System > Backup > Backup now" or "Settings > System > Local backup"
In TWRP (TWRP for ROG Phone 5/5s): "Backup > select Data and Super > Swipe to backup"
And unlock the phone using the app in the official site: AsusUnlock_1.0.0.7_210127_fulldpi.apk

Factory reset your phone in recovery or Android

Now, reboot your phone into fastboot mode (shutdown then press Volume up + Power)
Connect the phone to the PC with the side port of the phone

Make sure you have ADB and Fastboot installed, if not install this: Minimal ADB and Fastboot or this: Android SDK Platform Tools latest

Download the vbmeta and extract it: vbmeta.img

Now flash everything:
In a command prompt, type the following commands:

fastboot reboot fastboot

fastboot --disable-verity --disable-verification flash vbmeta vbmeta.img

fastboot erase system

fastboot -w flash system yourgsi.img

Replace yourgsi.img with the GSI you want to install

Now reboot your phone:

fastboot reboot

And that's it! You successfully installed a GSI on your ROG Phone 5!

Last edited:
No. This is a clean Android with Google pixel interface so Asus or ROG services are not installed by default like for example RGB on the back doesn’t work (I don’t know if it is possible to install them)
I'll think twice before flashing then, since RGB and dirac service doesn't work
Armoury crate can replace with kernel manager, but idk about RGB control apps

Awesome thank you I'm going to give it a shot do you have root working or are you just testing it out I think I'll test it out for a few days thank you for the response and the recommendation.
Hi, you can use Magisk it works. Flash the apk in twrp it is the easiest (flash the apk after flashing system and before rebooting to system because encryption doesn't work) or use boot.img method.

vinotux

Apr 3, 2021
Hey, good job on the tutorial but I was wondering whether you found a way to activate haptics and/or the audio jack

rachmanyoga

Jan 3, 2022

First of all I want to say that I am NOT responsible of anything you do to your device.

What is a GSI?

A generic system image (GSI) is a system image with adjusted configurations for Android devices. It's considered a pure Android implementation with unmodified Android Open Source Project (AOSP) code that any Android device running Android 8.1 or higher can run successfully.

GSIs are used for running VTS and CTS-on-GSI tests. The system image of an Android device is replaced with a GSI then tested with the Vendor Test Suite (VTS) and the Compatibility Test Suite (CTS) to ensure that the device implements vendor interfaces correctly with the latest version of Android.

What GSI do I install?

There are multiple GSI you can choose (AOSP, LineageOS, Pixel Experience, ProtonAOSP, etc).

For ROG Phone 5, you need to choose a A/B partition style and arm64 architecture GSI.

How do I install a GSI?

In the Settings app: "Settings > System > Backup > Backup now" or "Settings > System > Local backup"
In TWRP (TWRP for ROG Phone 5/5s): "Backup > select Data and Super > Swipe to backup"
And unlock the phone using the app in the official site: AsusUnlock_1.0.0.7_210127_fulldpi.apk

Now, reboot your phone into fastboot mode (shutdown then press Volume up + Power)

Make sure you have ADB and Fastboot installed, if not install this: Minimal ADB and Fastboot or this: Android SDK Platform Tools latest

Now flash everything:

fastboot reboot fastboot

fastboot erase system

Now reboot your phone:

fastboot reboot

im sorry noob question, what about the peformance increases (longer batery life, less throttling when playing high end games, etc) when i installed the custom rom compare to stock rom on rog phone 5 8/128, is it noticable ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe anyone can tell about own experience with installing rom? Any critical bugs? I would like to install havoc or dotOs
    The only problem(s) that I had were speaker doesn't works for calls and no Asus/ROG services (like no RGB). For the moment, I didn't duscovered any other problem.
    And which rom you installed?
    I tried official Google GSI,Lineage OS and Pixel Experience (Android 12) so maybe on Android 11 there is no problem but I didn't tried.
    Checked dotOs, crDroid, Caos roms on android 11 (last actual builds).
    Unfortunately everywhere doesn't work vibration and fingerprint :(
    Will be grateful for any help or ideas!
    Hey, thanks for reporting these problems. I will try to put the stock vendor in a gsi to see if it solves the problems :).

What is a GSI?

What GSI do I install?

How do I install a GSI?

Now flash everything:

fastboot reboot fastboot

fastboot erase system

Now reboot your phone:

fastboot reboot

Including Android 12 gsi? Has anybody tried this on this phone?
    Hi,
    I installed a Android 12 GSI on my device and it worked. I recommend you Pixel Experience (choose arm64-ab-vndklite I recommend)
    Maybe anyone can tell about own experience with installing rom? Any critical bugs? I would like to install havoc or dotOs
    The only problem(s) that I had were speaker doesn't works for calls and no Asus/ROG services (like no RGB). For the moment, I didn't duscovered any other problem.
    And which rom you installed?
    I tried official Google GSI,Lineage OS and Pixel Experience (Android 12) so maybe on Android 11 there is no problem but I didn't tried.
    Checked dotOs, crDroid, Caos roms on android 11 (last actual builds).
    Unfortunately everywhere doesn't work vibration and fingerprint :(
    Will be grateful for any help or ideas!
    Hey, thanks for reporting these problems. I will try to put the stock vendor in a gsi to see if it solves the problems :).